Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread - /fvgt/

Welcome to the Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread, our goal is to improve the quality of Veeky Forums not by arguing about what's wrong with it incessantly, but by posting original content, threads, and most importantly, virtual resources to give this board every opportunity to be creative and be active within the hobby. We want to disprove the old "Veeky Forums doesn't play games" meme, and reaffirm our "Get Shit Done" mantra.

I would introduce myself, but you're probably more than sick of me by now. Moving on.

>Current Projects
-Fading Embers is in the process of FINALLY getting a wiki page, and a returning thread. More on that later
-WriteThread: Just an idea I cooked up, seeing if I can't make it work.
-As always, we're here to provide encouragement and feedback for any Veeky Forums-related projects you may have on the backburner, let us know and we might just be able to help you.

Incoming Thread Discussion

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Five_Rings
twinery.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Alright Veeky Forums, let's do a bit of speculation.

Using an Amazon Web Server of appropriate size, how much of would a Year's worth of an Xmage/Cockatrice server?

Furthermore, would there be interest in such a project?

Welcome back

No idea. Hey, when we were doing Fading Embers if i recall correctly people kept asking if anyone had table top simulator because we needed something out of it. I think. Maybe. In any case assuming that was the case I have actually purchased it in the time since then, so if there is anything to do with that which will help move fading embers along just let me know.

Sweet. Message me via Discord and I can give you more details for that.

SwivelDiscourse #9013

Gonna be straight with you, I don't have a Discord. How do I get one?

Piece of cake, sign up with an Email address on the discord site, or download the app and sign up through the instructions.

I'm normally not an advocate of Discord communities, but for 1-on-1 chat it's fine. That's also why I'll never advocate a server on any of the projects I'm working on.

Alright, downloaded it and made an account, but when I try searching for your name or sending a friend request all I get is an error message. Here, why don't you try contacting me.

Keepitanonymous#3089

So why is it you want to know how much that would cost anyway?

Speculation, if we could manage to get the infrastructure to crowd-fund it... well, Veeky Forums's own private MTG server with which to run tourneys, drafts, EDH... The possibilities are tantalizing.

Wouldn't it just be easier to use a pre existing program with a thread here to quordinate meeting other players? I mean there are several online programs, so if we can have something here for meet ups and networking to make use of them.

Untap.in is ok, but spotty. Probably a good resource, but it lags and rules enforcement can get fucky sometimes.

Xmage is the other option, besides Cockatrice, and both, while we could crib off of other servers, would be served better with a dedicated space for it.

Plus there's the ability to save replays for future entertainment.

I already gave up on these threads but its nice some one didn't gave up the fight

Forgivr me if this is rudw, but if you've given up on good productive threads why keep coming to the site?

I kept making these threads but nobody ever posted on them so I gave up

OP here, you could call me the original OP of these threads. I'm putting more effort into them now, and now have the time to keep them maintained. Hopefully within a few days we can see a slight improvement in board quality. We're coming back, this time with a plan.

Alright, until then... are there any new virtual tools I should add to the pdf? Anything that fits in line with these resources?

No news on the front about any virtual tools

Alright, any new settings that require our attention?

no new ones popped up, dunno what happened to that other one you guys were working in.

In the process of Reincarnating. Just keep your eyes on the catalog for Fading Embers when it pops up.

As far as I can see, what we need now is to open a medium that will allow Veeky Forums to interact more.

How aware of Sun and Moon(the L5R simulator, not Pokemon) is the L5R general? Perhaps that should be our next micro project?

Never played L5R

Check it out. It's fun.

Sell it to me.

Good night bump

Well, not that user, and I've never played it, but there's an epic storytime about one game.
There's over 30 Screencaps worth of it.
...and I have none of it.

Bump.

Good morning folks! How are we all doing?

It's another one of those franchise/card games that FFG has bought out and made a Living Card Game of, that also happens to have an RPG. Have you ever wanted to be able to play a Kamigawa-only limited/draft and run a Kamigawa RPG with your friends? This is NOT that, but it at least manages to be one of those settings that's "not!Feudal Japan with Samurai except it's not Weaboo."

1d4chan.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Five_Rings

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea unless you can ditch the prepackaged lore and use your own setting.

So, haven't been around for a while. Is this thread just for software to play traditional games on? Or is it more specific than that? Or is it supposed to be anything useful to ca/tg/irls and elegan/tg/entlemen in general?

A bit confused because your list seems very lacking and somewhat focused at certain games.

Its for people who plays online more than irl

Supposed to eventually be comparable to the PDF Share Thread, a massive pile of links for digital tools and virtual gaming sims.

Overall goal is to get as many continuous gaming projects on here as possible, and Get Shit Done on here. Hopefully by getting the community more active in designing and playing games we can improve the general community.

Okay, well Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia are pretty obvious ones as far as simulators go. There's also LackeyCCG for CCGs, which is free and runs on any OS.

Twine for writing digital gamebooks (also helpful for visualizing your branching if you're making a different kind of non-linear adventure) also runs on any OS or in a browser.
twinery.org/

I don't like TTS because I don't have Steam

I don't like a lot of things on the list because I don't play those games. I don't think that's relevant.

Whatever happened to the Battlebox 3D guy? He mentioned 3ds model loading was going to be in the next release, then nothing happened.

I know that feeling, I was just trying to bring something to talk about

BB3D has had a slow development

>BB3D has had a slow development

When was the last update? Because I didn't see anything on the website about updates.

Is there a way to duplicate models in BB3D? For example, if I have a token and edit it to be green, can I just copy paste a bunch of green tokens somehow without having to individually spawn a bunch of default tokens and edit their colors?

Also, I can't store a model inside a model for some reason, not that it matters but it's confusing.

Still glad the thing exists though especially if the multiplayer is good.

Does the manual say something about copying groups?

Groups seem to be a way to connect multiple existing models to move as one, but they don't seem to do anything about the process of getting to multiple models.

Bump this up

This thread always confuses me.

You say "friendly gaming" but looking at the PDF and discussion it seems to be a very specific "friendly online MTG and board game simulator resources" thread.

I mean you have a resources PDF without roll20, fantasygrounds or donjon being mentioned?!?

Did you just skip over the word "virtual" in there?

And those are RPG-only and widely known already. Quick: what's a good free program to play Ticket to Ride or similar board games on?
That's a harder question, hence this thread.

>Quick: what's a good free program to play Ticket to Ride or similar board games on?
Tabletop Simulator, probably Tabletopia, and the Ticket to Ride app or Steam game.

>Tabletop Simulator

>free program

"Virtual" means online. So why don't you mention roll20 or fantasygrounds? Newbies don't know squat, so it's not something that everyone knows about.

Your thread description is misleading. If you want to talk about playing board games online, just call your fucking thread Online Board Games General or something.

Redundant. The gamefinder thread already covers those.