EDH/Commander General /edhg/

From the Grave edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Full C17 deck lists
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Thread question
Did you preorder any c17? If so, are you salty? If Not, are you planning to buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oai1V7kaFBk
youtube.com/watch?v=1aWRh0IkRtc
youtube.com/watch?v=S5PvBzDlZGs
youtube.com/watch?v=w3xcybdis1k
youtu.be/hX3j0sQ7ot8
youtu.be/Uk4Nu_5vSR0?list=PLZQv-kwFHLN2LMKVvK0BJ_DI_Zi-FMNPB
youtu.be/7XmDYJBZZdc?list=PLZQv-kwFHLN2LMKVvK0BJ_DI_Zi-FMNPB
youtube.com/watch?v=eIri9YLHpOg
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-jenara-is-a-lie-or-the-morph-deck-that-could/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahijis-unstoppable-dragon-army/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Blue is for Gays from Texas.

>Did you preorder any c17?
Nope
>If so, are you salty?
n/a
>If Not, are you planning to buy?
I have never bought a card that has had its first printing in a Commander product.

People actually preorder commander products?

Preordered Wizards. Canceled when the lists dropped; ordered Mairsil instead. Trying to figure out the best set of combos with him. The way I see it, he breaks down into
>combo pieces
>value cage targets
>tutors/draw
>answers
>lands

I too, am from Texas- and I disagree. Blue is acceptaple, white is for gays.

wrong state buddy :^)

There was a thing to preorder all 4 for $99, so I did.

yes
>If so, are you salty?
kinda? i feel like vampires are shit and boring and dragons are literally just my scion of ur the dragon deck but other than that its cool. the cats deck is way better than i thought it was going to be
>If Not, are you planning to buy?
i already did

>check out this sjw

Did your interracial boyfriend furkin tell you to type that?

first for being mad at other card games having better waifus

>Preorder
Nope
>Salty
Nope
>Planning to buy
Maybe wizards
I tried proxying up the wizards deck but didn't like the draw-go style I ended up with, went back to player my low-power Breya list. I love powerful formats like Legacy but my playgroup isn't anywhere near there yet.

I play White as if it were Blue so thats about right.

They do after Atraxa wasn't available for MSRP on release date (unless you wanted to go hunting in Walmart). After that, it only went up.

Pre ordering C17 would fuck over those ppl though.

Ah. Alright yeah, that I would have done.

Mine disappeared on Amazon. I'm pissed.

I want my product or they shouldn't be allowed to offer.

In fact, I'm going to call the mayor and give him an ear full.

>actually reading Meren for the first time

Holy shit. Why play anything else?

>Only LGS in town is scalping precons at $41.99

I can get Walmart ones for cheap thanks to employee discount but holy fuck

Because you have some self-respect and don't play hyper-pushed jew commanders.

Because everything else is more fun

EDH Music

Post yours. No gay shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oai1V7kaFBk

>preorder
I never preorder anything

>Salted
Naw

>Buy
Cats because Mirri and Nahzan are some mad bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=1aWRh0IkRtc

When playing Lim-Dul. So much flavor.

They are probably super salty they didn't push prices of Atraxa last year.

No preorder, planning to grab Cats, Vampires and Dragons. Dragons is getting taken apart to be reworked using my Naya dragons deck that I cannot make click for the life of me. The other two are gonna be Nazahn Tron and straight Vampire tribal. It feels weird since I already have a Marduchesa Aristocrats deck, but Edgar just looks so damn fun.

Serious question: do they make this purposely lame? The heavy ass guitar, ridiculous lyrics, and that art... It's not made seriously.

It's power metal. It's meant to be fun and over-the-top.

youtube.com/watch?v=S5PvBzDlZGs

Alright, as long as it isn't like those dude from Denmark who think they're badass.

I was, then the lists came out. They all suck.

youtube.com/watch?v=w3xcybdis1k

My group tends to listen to this, because it doesn't get in the way.

youtu.be/hX3j0sQ7ot8

Next thing for me is BUG Sidisi. That's a long term project though. since I got fired last week

>Naya dragons
Who's the general?

The theme of Timmy

youtu.be/Uk4Nu_5vSR0?list=PLZQv-kwFHLN2LMKVvK0BJ_DI_Zi-FMNPB

From where?

>sperg gets mad at long turns
>plays knoladge pool next turn

>knoladge

>boardwipe

youtu.be/7XmDYJBZZdc?list=PLZQv-kwFHLN2LMKVvK0BJ_DI_Zi-FMNPB

>Did you preorder any c17? If so, are you salty? If Not, are you planning to buy?
No. Still kind of want to pick up dragons because yugioh memories and vampires looks pretty fun to play.
youtube.com/watch?v=eIri9YLHpOg
As non gay as you can get
It's so weird but it makes me happy to see that channel linked in this thread. You and you're friends got nice taste, user.

For the guy that was askin for a decklist for my Jenara morphs, here ya go.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-jenara-is-a-lie-or-the-morph-deck-that-could/

It's not the greatest deck, I focus more on the theme of the deck then "how fast can i break the game"

How do the worst colors in edh get some of the best tempo cards in the game?

It's also changed a bit from this version as well, if you want the latest list i can give ya that too

Actually the best thing I've ever seen in any of these threads.

>Thread Question
1. I didn't preorder any because y'all make me feel like a scrub because my 3 out of 4 of my decks are edited precons
2. No, maybe, idk. My friend is getting cats and 5c always seemed like an expensive gimmick to me. The other 2 are in colors I already have decks for. Also eminence is lame cancer.
3. The only one I'd buy would be Vamps but I do want Dimir Taigim for Sidisi.

Decks
>Nekusar.dec
>Oloro.dec
>Roon.dec
>Marduchesa Prison/Goodstuff

Oloro i'm selling to a friend soon, I don't like roon but Derevi is cancer, and I don't win enough with Nekusar but keep him around to keep large on a clock.

Tourist trap is my hometown. It probably needed to happen. Been there so long it was toxic.

Ur-Dragon seems pretty swell for running out loads 'o dragons and Ramos can be either a fatty or a combo machine. Plus it comes with Scion of the Ur-Dragon if you want to go that way instead.

>54831033
Currently Gahiji. Not quite enough huge dudes to justify Mayael and my meta delets Marath on sight after all the combo shit we've seen with her. Gahiji usually shaves off a turn from the clock on me being able to kill.

I'd play with Ur Dragon in the command zone for the reduction and run a bunch of reducers. Warden of Evo Isle, The new horn, the goblin, the dragonspeaker shaman. Urza's incubator would be good too but I'm fine passing that up.

I just wanna drop fat fuckers and slam into some faces.

Post it, I'm making Naya Dragons with Rith as the commander, I kinda want to see your take on it

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahijis-unstoppable-dragon-army/

It's a bit of a mash from the Marath toolbox I tried to run and just hated and full on Timmy madness. Sometimes it runs roughshot over the table on turn 7, sometimes I sit there and get reamed.

What do you usually Praetor's Grasp for (or whatever allows you to search an opponent's deck and take stuff)??

Early/Mid/Late game

Also assuming that you're not in need of an answer to an immediate threat

Because red is the best color in EDH

Always pull a combo piece or a board wipe I don't want to see.

What's a good deck to jam these magnificently evil cards into

that's a funny way to say green.

Why bother using it at all? It's effectively an overcosted Demonic Tutor that has zero guarantee of getting you a useful card. The only benefit is bad manners and that'll just get someone to grudge match you and get focused on harder.

Anyone got some secret spice for a Sek'kuar 'incremental advantage' type deck?

Combo Pieces or particularly mean hate cards both seem like the ideal candidates.

>greenfag can't naturally topdeck exactly what he needs, when he needs it

How much is your LGS charging for the decks? I got my vampire deck for 30$ exactly, and they had a deal for all 4 for 110$, but fuck that.

>The only benefit is bad manners
t.shitter-shattered Johnny

No, seriously. Outline how this is better than a card that searches your own library.

Why wouldn't I want to make use of my opponent's resources and deprive them at the same time? Especially if you know the decks you're facing, you can break their backs at best or, at worst, take a Sol Ring.

>I have a lightning greaves
>you do not
Sounds good to me.

>get all 4 decks under msrp
>but fuck that
Are you retard?

Because you know exactly what your own resources are and know for a fact they'll meaningfully benefit your gameplan.

>you can break their backs at best
Preventing an opponent from winning the game is a lot worse than winning the game yourself.

And if they have redundancies?

Hate cards definitely. I've stolen an Iona or two, feels good.

Doing the former helps the latter.

>not playing green in EDH
But you're right I can't top deck what I need when I need it
Protip: Because I don't need to.

That's some incredibly weak shit. Unless your opponent is running a million tutors, there was no guarantee they'd have ever even drawn into their Greaves, and it could be in their hand instead. Besides which, searching up Lightning Greaves isn't really the most exciting and game-ending play.

Doing the latter IS the latter.
If you can search a card from your own deck that you know will actively allow you to attempt to close out the game, it's significantly more effective than maybe, possibly, kind of sort of stopping someone else.

I preordered and I'm not sorry. It's worth it enough, I had reasonable expectations, and I definitely want one of all the new cards so I might as well get the reprints. The new legends will make for some new decks too.

I've mostly gotten out of Magic, selling off everything of value but my Mizzix deck and the stuff I had set aside for Shirei. Is there anything cheap worth picking up in singles for either?

All the decks/reprints are pretty bad honestly- not a very exciting cycle of commander sets. I am only getting vampires because my 3 buddies are getting the other decks.

>Doing the latter IS the latter.

Then what's the point in using removal or counters? After all, preventing an opponent from winning the game is a lot worse than winning the game yourself.

Because removal and counters answer an immediate threat. Using Praetor's Grasp as anti-combo tech is fighting shadows off in the distance.

Yisan.

It's more reassuring to know that my opponents won't be able to tutor for their hate cards or combo pieces and kill me out of nowhere.

Well, if you'd played a tutor to search your own library, you'd have the reassurance of being the one trying to kill someone out of nowhere.

Big ups to the guy who suggested removing all taplands in favour of basics. Running a lot of mana rocks here and I'm not really seeing much of a difference aside from a much faster deck.

And if they're ahead?

Maybe you're not running a combo wincon? Not every deck has to be a combo deck. If you want to win by being big creature slug fest then it'll give you more room to play aggressive, because your opponent can't just tutor for his 3 card infinite turn combo.

Then you'd be better off finding something to directly fight them than just maybe hopefully shutting off a tutor.

QUICK GUYS HELP ME.

IM GOING TO BUY THE WIZARDS DECK

POST SOME STAPLE WIZARDS SO I CAN ABUSE THEM IN THE DECKS, I WANT TO HAVE MAXIMUN FUN FACTOR WHILE STILL HAVING GOOD CHANCES OF WINNING.

HELP ME OUT HERE

I'm not playing blue and there's a high chance he can combo off in the next few turns. Denying him his resources is objectively the best play as the alternative is to look for an answer I don't have and lose. Being able to cut up your opponent's resources is incredibly powerful. There's a reason Mind Twist was banned in 1v1.

Haven't played in a while, but last I remember, Azami, Lady of Scrolls is great in any Wizard deck.

The only taplands worth running are Manlands, possibly Scrylands, and utility like Boseiju or Bojuka Bog. Even Karoos are questionable. Just fixing for colors is never worth it.

Costing your opponent the chance to tutor for something is not even slightly comparable to costing your opponent actual cards in hand.

Then you're better off playing a card that actually stops your opponent in a meaningful way, like Stranglehold or other legitimate hate cards, or something that actually furthers your gameplan, like something to help you play your big creature slugfest. It doesn't further your own goals and it only possibly, slightly interrupts your opponent's.

You sound like the sort of person who thinks mill is "so good" because you could mill their wincon and then what will they do!?

Yeah I kept the utility and replaced the fixing shitters with basics. It's been so rare to run into a situation where I lack the colour I need and I don't sit there turn after turn waiting to play things. Hell, with these rocks I'm ramping faster than ever.

The sheer number of turns wasted thanks to Dimir Aqueduct.

Yeah, denying them their win condition for 3 mana is weak.

You're the sort of person to completely misunderstand what they're reading.

>Their win condition
Yes, their singular win condition. The only one they have. Because EDH decks are notorious for having only a single card their entire strategy is contingent on.

You may not even accomplish that, it can't hit their hand. Additionally, again, it's basically only anti-tutor tech because there was no other way to be certain they were going to get it. It's a slightly more useful Sadistic Sacrament and a significantly worse Demonic Tutor.

I was gong to order Vamps for any potential mardu toys and was planning on building Vamps at some point anyways.

But then the list came out and everything was ass except for seductive lord that steals things and the new ultra-fog that gives all your shit phasing. I'm not entirely sold on Mardu for vamps either, I think Marchessa 1.0 might be a better leader.

If you want to stop combos, there are dozens of legitimate hate cards that would do it much, much better.

They had the potential to be great but I think they're holding out for Ixalan's vamps. Still would have loved an OG Olivia in there though.

>Did you preorder any C17?
Nope.
>Are you planning to buy?
If I don't pick up a Wizard deck, I'm definitely going to be looking for an Inalla or a Mairsil to build around. Otherwise, I'm just gonna pick up singles.

I pretty much quit Magic a year ago. I have very few cards beyond junk bulk commons, with some exceptions primarily in black. Among the many, many reasons I quit was that the only thing I found fun in Magic anymore was combo, which everybody I played with hated playing against. I've been tempted to start playing again, but build midrange this time. Are there any decent, cheap ways to build midrange?

Is there actually any online retailer that is selling the decks for MSRP?
I'm only planning on geting one (Vampire), but I'd rather not get jewed if I can help it.