Chapter Master / Interstellar Army Simulator

The old FAQ: pastebin.com/60pMzyh8
1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_(game)#Chapter_Master_2.0

So is the game dead?

Does anyone know what the "Heresy?" setting does?

How do you plant a Plasma Bomb on a dormant tomb world? I try landing a marine on the planet with a plasma bomb and nothing happens.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1SJeobBBIC4GhLtNigDrUisnaVQeSshwy3ZCWgiYu4ws/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Chapter Master is dead. Died due to being sued to death by GW. Never was I so angry about a fun game getting killed off so hard. They could've used it as a free commercial, but instead they sued to death.

Though Duke had a Parteon in order to speed up the game's progress. And that guy who took over from him disappeared. Probably Culexus Assassins got him.

Either way, the game ain't talked about anymore.

How do you unlock debug mode? If the game is dead I'd like to at least know how. It's not like I can support his patraeon to get it at this point.

Blame the user that worked at GW and showed it to people.

>So is the game dead?
Yep, and it's been dead for years.
>Does anyone know what the "Heresy?" setting does?
It was supposed to unlock test mode for going renegade or joining chaos
>How do you plant a Plasma Bomb on a dormant tomb world?
Deploy 1-3 dudes on bikes on the planet. Make sure on of them has Plasma Bomb item equipped (=][= gives you one). They less dudes you send, the less chance they alarm necrons and have a fight.

>nothing happens
Mission will start next turn automatically

Does homeworld rule choices do anything or is it fluff?

If I set my home and recruiting world as forge worlds, does that mean there's a chance my ships will be built there?

What are the best advantages to take in your opinion?

Best weapon combination for CMs?

Best loadout for grunts?

>Does homeworld rule choices do anything or is it fluff?
It changes rectuitment rate in case you made your recruiting world
> does that mean there's a chance my ships will be built there?
Yes, I guess
>What are the best advantages to take in your opinion?
Whatever your dude need
>Best weapon combination for CMs?
See above
>Best loadout for grunts?
See above

It's not a serious game and there is no point in tryharding with loadout. Give your dudes the best gear, all heavy bolters or all plasma and go hunting for STCs.

>Not micromanaging strike teams that are complaint with the codex astartes and distributing your reserve companies alongside the main battle force.

This game gives me an erection thinking about it.

>complaint with the codex astartes
Games like Chapter Master very clearly show how absurd Codex and Astartes organization is from logistics standpoint. Juggling recruits between different reserve companies? Assigning them to battle companies? Shuffling them between deployment zones? It requires dozens expensive ships to do that, lots of time and provides little benefit.

>What are the best advantages to take in your opinion?
Defensive stats are maxed out fast with experience and gear (jump packs, force fields, etc), focus on offense. Hatred for psykers (Eldar won't show up if you pick this), Lightning Warriors, Bolter Drill.

>fleet based master race.
Once I played as ultras and sat on my homeworld for like 100 turns and a massive chaos fleet turned up and raped me.

>sat on my homeworld for like 100 turns and a massive chaos fleet turned up and raped me
You were lucky, usually Ork WAAAGH or Tyranid fleet eats half the sector and your homeworld if left unchecked for this long

Buggy, abandonware game. Oh there is a very little heretics on this planet? And you want to purge the taint? OOOOH YEAAAH, WHOLE CHAOS FLEET THAT WILL FUCK YOU UP ROYALLY AND YOU WILL BE LUCKY NOT TO LOSE YOUR CHAPTER MASTER.

Gets boring after 3rd time.

>purge the taint
>OOOOH YEAAAH, WHOLE CHAOS FLEET THAT WILL FUCK YOU UP ROYALLY AND YOU WILL BE LUCKY NOT TO LOSE YOUR CHAPTER MASTER
user, it never happens

I don't have the pic anymore, But things can go crazy in that game, Like when I fought a solid block of Ork cruisers. Once again possible because of fleet based master race.

>abandonware game
>all work stopped 2 years ago
No shit Sherlock

Literally happened to me two times.

Do you still use penguin meme user?

>Literally happened to me two times
Emperor hates you, user, and I'm not surprised

>penguin meme
What is this meme? Linux?

Well yeah. It's probably because I used scavengers trait all the time and got goodie goodies. Also, the necron tomb fucked me royally a couple of times.

>scavengers trait
Sounds like you picked Cursed trait too

I tended to get the scavengers trait and the newly formed/recently crushed or something like that.

Before I used cursed trait or the fallen one, but they tended to suck - especially the fallen one since it was ridiculous.

>You have 10 days to reach the other corner of the sector to get the fallen - if you dont then you will get lower acquisition with everyone!

Has it seriously been two years? I still have it installed on my PC, collecting dust.

I don't feel like its been that long yet but I guess I just lose track of time, I lost my bet when we lost Duke.

How do you deal with an AWAKENED tomb world?

Exmemenatus or bring the whole chapter AND plasma bomb to deal with it. Plasma bomb is solution to most problems.

How much should I split up my Chapter? If I go renegade, doesn't that mean I can't repair my ships?

Are there any differences in recruiting world types?

How many marines/companies would you need to take on a Tiny, Sparse, Moderate, Heavy, Extreme and Rampant amount of enemy forces? I may be missing a few threat levels.

What would be needed in a Chapter Master rework?
I'm asking because I'm a bored programmer who doesn't need money and has an awful lot of free time.

Check out the suggestion document. Chapter Master as-is just needs more content and bug fixes. Play the game and you"ll be able to see what's missing. I'm preeetty sure Duke released the source code of the game.

docs.google.com/document/d/1SJeobBBIC4GhLtNigDrUisnaVQeSshwy3ZCWgiYu4ws/edit

Better programming language. Knowing how to program when you start (sounds like you have this covered). Some 3d shit would be pretty neat.

Yeah, the game's dead. No, I don't htink the Heresy button does anything.

If you want to plant a bomb (and you don't have an Inquisition mission telling you to do so) use the raid with an active marine, don't just leave him on the planet.

Don't. Keep everyone together unless you want to split off a small group to crusade, hit a necron tomb, or raid a space hulk. Your most important resource are your marines. Let worlds burn rather than lose them because you didn't bring enough force.

If I could make one single request, it would be to have some sort of mode where you re-set the sector and enemies, but bring your marines, exp, STCs, fleet, and other assets along. As it is, what usually happens is either

A) The threats overwhelm you and your chapter is destroyed.
B) The threats don't overwhelm you and you play whack a mole for a few hundred turns, to have a very peaceful sector with bumfuck all to do because you've wiped everything out.

I don't know about other people, but I get attached to my marines. I'd like to have them go on other adventures elsewhere, but as it is, you can restart a game, but you can't bring your stuff with you.

Will do, thanks.

That would require a switch from game maker (think it was, gonna check it out asap), but alright. Basic 3D shit isn't hard to do once the switch is done as long as you aren't asking for Total Warhammer: 40K

I really recommend playing the game. It has a lot of options in the game you can't actually select.

The game could also use the ability to quickly find planets, and maybe a better event log. There's times when an event will pop up but not everything gets recorded, and they can get cut off by other pop ups.

Check out the bay12 forums and you may be able to find some people who can help. If I were you, I'd keep it as a Not-Warhammer game that can be easily modded into a 40k game.

Two questions I always wanted to ask

Is there any reason not to keep your chapter in one big fleet and send the entire thing into every single battle?

How do you deal with the spryer mission? I always got to the planet and couldn't trigger anything

>Is there any reason not to keep your chapter in one big fleet and send the entire thing into every single battle?
Not really, no. About the only thing you gain is the ability to attack/defend multiple systems simultaneously.

>How do you deal with the spryer mission? I always got to the planet and couldn't trigger anything
The Spyrer will hide if he sees too many guys come after him. Just land like 2-3 marines. (I usually send my CM and the Master of Sanctity), you'll trigger a fight. However, it's buggy on the tail end too, sometimes you get this thing where you get a note that you killed the Spyrer, Inquisition is happy (+1 diplomacy) and then when the timer's up you get dinged for 2 because you didn't kill the spyrer.

Thanks boss!

I'd recommend not going too crazy with it because as soon as you get any popularity some fool will post it on the get Facebook.

I meant GW Facebook
They have a history of zero tolerance for fan games and copcat models

I don't think they sued him, they just gave him a cease and desist.

Which is like pointing a gun at him instead of firing it. It's better but still a dick move.

>Is there any reason not to keep your chapter in one big fleet and send the entire thing into every single battle?
To purge more. If your marines are well equipped and killy, you can handle even Extreme stuff with half of your chapter (1st company usually counts for 2-3 companies alone). Also pick Fleet based for Battle Barge and trade bonus. And don't fight the Tau, glass the planet and let colonists resettle it.

Do you think Chapter Master at its peak had more players than DoW3?

>87,578 total downloads

Probably not, but what do I know.

How many companies can handle enemy threats from Tiny to above Heavy?

>to above Heavy
So Extreme?

One thing to note is that when you land on the planet and wait for the enemy to attack, you start at longer distance from the enemy and it lowers enemy presence only by 1. When you assault from orbit you face less and weaker enemies (as if Presence was reduced by 1) and closer to the enemy so flamers and other close range stuff becomes more useful, presence is reduced by 2 if you win.

To beat Extreme presence on defense without casualties you often need the whole chapter.

Possible dumb question - I guess there's no issue with a re-write assuming proper accridition ( sp ? ) is given ?

pg9 bump too

Go for it.

We'll see if you get farther than the main menu, as opposed to the last three guys.

always bet on user?

All right, what are your favorite tactics to use in chapter master?

Mine is raiding (with a custom formation) with ambushers, lightning warriors and melee enthusiasts.

Wrecks pretty much everything.

Never bet on user. Anonymous never gets shit done.

Not with this attitude

I can just imagine that dudes horror as what he thought was really cool and showed it to his co-workers was insta blamed for no real reason.

Thanks for the trust, Satan, but never put your hopes up before you get some results.

When people are making money off of it, GW has to take legal action or lose their IP due to stupid British copyright laws.

See: The guy who was making the 8th Edition army list builder.

>When people are making money off of it
Why not to give him a license for $1 to work on Chapter Master or new title so copyright laws are not broken?

>before you get some results
You got a working game, user, buggy but working. Are these not your results?

The next person to work on it just has to pull a Duke.

Make it so it's NOT a warhammer 40k game, but can be easily modded into one.

Yeah, raiding is pretty solid.

I messed around with defense and holing up in forts with lots of devastators and tanks but A) its much more of a pain to unload and reload all the troop and B) half the time my fortresses didn't get attacked.

>Make it so it's NOT a warhammer 40k game
I think lying isn't the way to do it, maybe it's better to be upfront with GW and ask for the license first. Look at what bad games got the license, it can't be impossible to pull off.

It's not lying if you intentionally avoid the copyright and IP you moron. GW doesn't support fan games.

>It's not lying if you intentionally avoid the copyright and IP you moron
They will C&D and sue 40k mod receiving patreon bucks, naive moron. That all Space Army Simulator facade would fall even if Duke kept going with it.

My god you're a fucking retard. GW can't sue a game that doesn't use their IP.

>GW can't sue a game that doesn't use their IP.
They can sue mod creators who receive money for using their IP and anybody with two braincells can make the connection. They sued sites for using their IP. How fucking dumb and naive you are? Guys makes money for making a game but all players use it to play with their IP instead of the base game (mod made but unknown but generous guy)? Sue him and let's see who will win in the court, random nobody or corporation with money and lawyers. If they want they can take it down in a blink.

Blow it up your ass reddit scum. All the game dev needs to do is make the damn game and let it be easily moddable. You don't need hipster welfare to rename a Rifle to "Boltgun".

>Guys makes money for making a game but all players use it to play

Game devs are not responsible for mods, ever.

>All the game dev needs to do is make the damn game and let it be easily moddable
Do it, faggot. Do it yourself. But we both know are too dumb and lazy.

What happened to Duke?

he works on a tower girl game now

ripperoni chapter master

NEVER BET ON DUKE

Is it just me or does the game inevitably crash after a certain amount of turns?

I've never gotten a crash like that. SOMETHING, and I'm not sure what, occasionally causes the game to crash when certain fleets move into certain systems. It always seems to be on the end point of some trips. If you wipe out the Orks, the occurrence of them goes way down.

Having too many ships in one spot always seem to cause the game to bug out. Especially battle barges. Alot of my ships end up having their name replaced with a blank entry.

Yeah, I still feel like shit about it. The manager that reported me/it still works at the store. It ended up getting me fired. I had to leave the country shortly afterwards because I couldn't afford the rent, among a few other personal reasons.

It's been 2 years since I got back. Shiieeet.

Funny joke.

Not even kidding. I'm the Blackshirt. I posted a photo of my shirt with the timestamp, which was a day off (because I was reading the date off a PC that had the timezone unchanged from my old home) and someone was sperging about it.

Not important, anyway.

Why did you lose your job for showing the manager?

Disloyalty to company basically. Wasn't the only reason, but it ended up being the catalyst. They saw me supporting it as a violation of their company's rights and ethos.

I wonder if new GW is better