media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

How does your character dress? They don't just stay in unadorned armor, do they?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9sgI9f77KnA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

anyone try my tactician homebrew i posted in the last thread?

im still looking for feedback for longterm playing.

In traditional Eberron fare, since it's the best setting.

Is there literally any reason to use a sorcerer over a wizard outside of eldritch blast spamming or twincasting buffs once per day?

Is this homebrew magic weapon OP to give out around level 5?

Scythe(re-skinned halberd) that when waved over the deceased in a farming manner teleports their bodies to a mass grave and sends their souls to the phylactary of the lich who crafted it.

Also kills with crits raise the slain as zombies for 1d4 days under the control of the holder of the scythe.

Requires attunement

Okay so I'm coming from WFRP, and my group doesn't know any other system. How do I sell them on D&D 5e?

What's the proper way to roll an action with multiple attacks: all attack rolls together and then the damage rolls, or one attack roll then a damage roll, etc?

I don't think it's too powerful, I can't see it being too often that you kill someone with a crit, and even then, a regular zombie is pretty weak so it's not game breaking. Put an upper limit on how many raised zombies it can control or else you might end up with some hold person combo shenanigans to guarantee Crit kills and have an army of zombies

Why are you concerned about something so trivial?

>metal shield
>full plate and shield

Literally doesn't matter

Roll one attack at a time because you don't know if you're going to get a crit in there, and you need to be able to know in which order your crits came out.
Plus you don't want to kill someone with the first attack and then have wasted your second attack on a corpse

When you make an attack, roll the D20 and the damage dice at the same time to save time

Good answer. Thanks, m8.

>one attack roll then a damage roll
This one, otherwise you risk overkilling a creature.

Make it a +1 Halberd either conjures a zombie cohort who can be resummoned at midnight and has the ability to make a single attack as reaction when an enemy within 5ft attacks the wielder.

Alternatively, make it conjure 3-4 zombies but only for a short period of time, such as 10 miniutes a day.

As for the reaping bodies/souls, I'd say just leave that as a rumour/fluff of the weapon that it carves a slither of the soul away as it already reeks of shitty edge and far too high-magic for anything less than an artifact at that point.

Its a tool crafted by a lich used by their followers to empower him and his undead army. Sorry it has some edge to it. That "fluff" is why the adventuring party would even get it

Give the big bad lich +1 HP for every person killed with the scythe so that when they finally fight him they've strengthened him through their own actions

Thank you to all of the anons who provided feedback yesterday on the toxicologist rogue archetype I'm trying to make.

I've since revised it, and it definitely reads as a much stronger class, but I think it still retains the balance principles I had in mind ("easy" injury potions provide the weakest effects). To the user who thought of the type-specific poison buffs, you're brilliant.

Stealing this

Because your blood commands it.

WFRP is a shit system that takes a big shit all over any creativity you might have in making a character. You have to roll for absolutely EVERYTHING. There's no balance.

The idea of this sounds dumb. Why would you need an archetype that is not an assassin when you can already create poisons with basic herbalism skills? Just take herbalism expertise and tell your DM you are looking for herbs to use as poisons.

>supposed to play from noon to 5pm
>only maybe three actual hours of gameplay between autists getting into political/sociological debates, rules lawyering, fat fucks demanding food breaks instead of eating beforehand, people asking to end early because "i'm pretty tired guys work was rough this week :'("

I just want to purge evil.

Unfortunately, full plate and shield is an extremely old trope in fantasy gaming and probably won't be going away anytime soon.
Personally, I just don't use shields when wearing full plate. 18 is enough AC in this game.

I'm thinking of revising the fighter class for my table. How does this sound for a rough idea:

3 maneuvers and d6 superiority die are given at 2nd level and maneuvers may be changed every time you gain a fighter level.
Battlemaster gets one more maneuver at 3rd level and a d8 superiority die. Maneuvers and superiority die progression continues as normal for battlemaster.

Talk to your players, not us. Many groups will still want the option of a simple fighter.
Also, you're giving the class a straight buff that it doesn't need.

my weekly group is 5:30-8 but we're lucky to be rolling by 6 generally

>I'm thinking of revising the fighter class for my table.
Why? Give us context before you ask for our opinion.

Why? Fighter is pretty spiffy
you'd be better off monkeying the feat that gives extra maneuvers instead

>5e cucks thing this is a good argument
lol

>Coming to /5eg/
>Calling 5e players "cucks"
What are you trying to accomplish?

Perhaps a d4 then, or restrict it to certain maneuvers? Battlemaster and the feat then gets the full list, better die etc.
Some of the players feel that martials are boring compared to wizards, and want more to do during combat. Rouge is still a skill monkey, and barbian is the KISS class.

flavor

and if you are REALLY into fireballs at max strength

Do ya'll use the optional flanking rule from the DMG?

I've always played with it, and DM'd with it, but today I did a random roll20 game and the DM didn't even think about it.

Saw another dude saying that it's broken.

Thoughts? Opinions? Cries of outrage?

>and if you are REALLY into fireballs at max strength
I really am
My DM started it last week now I'm back in 4e mode where it's my main objective since I'm a rouge

>rouge

fucking dammit
every godamn time

i'm not a fan of it as it gives players very easy ways to get advantage. the way opportunity attacks work in 5e means you can run circles around an enemy without triggering an OA, which means you can always set up an ally for the flanking bonus if there's room.

(OAs only trigger if you *leave* someone's reach, not if you move around within it.)

And I'm saying that as a player who has abused it for advantage rather than a DM trying to balance a game.
Honestly I try to stay away from the variant rules as much as possible. None of them really add anything to the game, they mostly just take things away from the players and screw with class balance.

D&D is a way simpler system, and way more fun!

Tell them to actually read the combat chapter of the PHB. Battle is a lot more than getting in range and using attack action. Actually, I'd advise you to do the same since you seem to share their notion. Battle are the fighter's play fields. They, and only they are the guys who get away with throwing shit straight into an enemy's face.

>and want more to do during combat
Additionally, if your players are bored by battles, make the battles more complex and challenging. If any non-fighter gets away from an encounter without praying heavily to the dice gods it's your fault. Their enemies are too easy, to simple to overcome. Throw dangerous stuff at them. Then give them them shit for unimaginative battle tactics. Make the enemies smarter. Fighter are only fun if they see that they're doing so much better in combat than others.

Thankfully my regular group gets started immediately but we play 3.5 and only bi-weekly.

I give the enemies flanking as well.

12 Kobolds vs 5 players doesn't play out well for them.

In the opposite 4 players vs 1 ogre goes very well for them.

I tend to play large groups of vicious and intelligent enemies against my players.

This sounds pretty good and seems really fun.
I'm playing a fiendpact and I've been going full melee to get all up in their grill. It's been great but I have staying power thanks to vampiric healing and temp hps.
You should have considerable melee options thanks to your superior proficiencies, hexblade's curse.

kobolds have pack tactics so they'd get advantage anyway

Is there any plothooks that haven't been tried before? I'm trying to think of something original but coming up blanks here. Maybe an arch nenesis with the charlitain background who's alternate identity is an NPC party member?

Tying crafting to a class always rubs me the wrong way on an immersion level. Why not just make a feat (or better yet, just allow) for a player with the right skills and proficiencies to craft poisons?

> Is there any plothooks that haven't been tried before
no

What about - and hear me out here - a GOOD Drow?

youtube.com/watch?v=9sgI9f77KnA

What about - and hear me out here - a LAWFUL Tiefling?

I could deal with a goo drow.

It makes some class features useless (like the barbarian's Reckless Attack) and makes GWM even more powerful. We played with it for a bit then tuned it down to a +1 bonus to hit.

I'm going to save you 20 minutes of listening to that fat fuck. The most important thing when making a memorable villain is a badass voice. Some people think it's moral ambiguity or strong motivations, but none of that comes even close to the importance of a villain sounding cool whenever they talk

These are pretty dope actually

Memes aside considering the aftertaste of Drizzit and the fact Viconia has yet to be outdone I usually look at Drow PC's with derision

Who is the fat fuck? Can't be bothered opening it.

Is this your rule for heavy armor in general?
I want to go fighter with chain, shield, great swords and longsword for complete versatility

>12 Kobolds vs 5 players doesn't play out well for them.
>In the opposite 4 players vs 1 ogre goes very well for them.
This is true with our without flanking

I think I hate gnome npcs even more. Why do weebs always pick the gnomes?

I'm the DM of a game and one of my characters wants to play a dueregar with a way to get around the sunlight sensitivity using something like sunglasses basically, does this really unbalance the race that much?

I've only seen Gnomes as joke PCs. I've never seen a non fighter or barbarian Gnome PC. Except as an Illusionist multiclassed Mage back when it actually mattered

If he wants to play the race give him the downsides of it

No idea

Historically chain was used with shields, so I would have no problem playing a character like that. Also, 16 is not necessarily high enough fro a frontliner.
If you have a longsword, you don't really need a greatsword because the longsword is versatile. It would be better to get a different alternate weapon, perhaps one with reach.

If someone wants an unusual character, they should deal with unusual difficulties.

a better alternate would be a bludgeoning weapon

If you're concerned about unbalancing it, then consider having him lose Darkvision while they're equipped.

Damage type matters extremely little in 5e.

That won't solve much - he'd simply remove them whenever he entered darkness.

Yeah bad example.

In my mind kobolds got extra advantage on top of flanking and not the other way around. That's how ingrained this was till I actually read some rules.

I've been fucked before by it so now I'll always be mindful of it
They were gargoyles and swords did dick

9 PM to 2 AM online is my usual game times.

Yes, but now you have the opportunity as DM to incorporate scenarios that alter the light levels (daylight spell, plunging a sunlit room into total darkness, etc.)

Gargoyles have equal resistance to all weapon damage types.
If you have a DM that uses damage types more than the base game, that's something I can't know, but maybe it WOULD be good for you to carry different weapons.

Maybe. After the first couple of times, it would feel trite and the player would rightfully complain you're targeting them.

Is Storm King's Thunder any good?

If you're putting it in there to specifically screw him over, sure. But I'm going on the assumption that there's at least one other pc with no darkvision.

From my experience no but I did not have the greatest dm

It's one the most consistently liked published adventures in 5eg, along with Curse of Strahd and LMoP (for beginners)

After "Greyhawk Initiative" and "Three Pillars" I no longer look forward to UA.

Playing around with a few character builds for an upcoming game. Thinking of picking a fighter since the party so far is:

Sorcerer
Bard
Paladin
Warlock (I think, he may have left or changed to a druid)

1. Human variant, Polearm master and Sentinel feats, you know the drill.
2. Human variant, sword and board with shield master and tough feats. Make a real tank.
3. Half Orc fighter crit build.

For the first 2 thinking of taking battlemaster and obviously champion for the crit build. Starting around level 3 or 4. Just want any advice/recommendations for fighters. Have never played a class without spells before.

You're a shit who complains about free material. The UAs have been consistently strong in that we got a lot of good stuff, the dming advice in the downtime UA was alone worth the equivalent of paid product.

Only if your party wants to play it exactly as the book assumes, and the DM makes the giants morons. Even then, it's quite bland and most of its content is intended to be skipped (you can go to X places, but there's no need to do more than one, and the narrative suggests that solving problems in those extra places wastes time).

Ten cents has been deposited into your bank account.

WotC thanks you for your continued patronage.

>2. Human variant, sword and board with shield master and tough feats. Make a real tank.
This, but Resilient instead of Tough. Also works as a Dwarf, Orc, or Dragonbitch.

Don't be a little shit. You've been nothing but whiny.

Half-Orc Champion. Sword and Board.
Take Brawny Feat for Expertise in Athletics.
Take Shield-Master for Shove as Bonus Action.

Sparta people all day every day.

Just because it's free doesn't mean i can't call them out on half arsing it.

Then don't use it, no one cares if you do or don't. Sure, do that, try not to be a little bitch about it though.

Greyhawk initiative wasn't new content, it was put on twitter months before, and the three pillar experience is basically pages of restating stuff already in the DMG as BASIC INFORMATION, with a small section on an alternate EXP system.

Why resilient though? +1 to my con won't change the mod with array and I'd already be proficient in con saves? Or is it for a different skill?

Love it.

Where can I find monster manual pdfs?

Let's just say i wear many hats

I'm new but why would anyone take either of the other subclasses over battle master? It juwst seems way better. EK just seems to get low level spells (better to multiclass) and champion gets nothing other than a 5% crit chance.

Not everyone goes on Twitter, or cares to. As long as they're releasing material they want to test out to the general public that's good but the material was weaker.
To say you've been soured on UA just because of the previous two UAs when the other UAs have been pretty good is the definition of an entitled whiny little bitch.

I'm more of a fan of upcasting scorching rays under mantle of flame personally. Phoenix sorc is so good for flavor, shame it's kinda crappy mechanically, I hope it gets a revision at some point

And that's what I'm calling you out for.

Related question: is there any logical lore reason wearing sunglasses wouldn't fix sunlight sensitivity?

Champion gets an extended crit range at 15
18-20

Is that really not something people did?