/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"THE LINE IS SAVED" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It' set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: What are your hopes for the new RPG? Being set in the Dark Imperium, post Gathering Storm, will you accept or reject GW's party line?

>will you accept or reject GW's party line?
It depends on which part of the GW party line. Not all retcons/new fluff are created equal.

Nothing about the Dark Imperium interests me. I'll play the game but will probably stick to unimportant corners of the galaxy.

That said, playable xenos sounds fun and I could see some bullshit scenarios akin to The Last Stand multiplayer game. I loved playing my healer Captain that chainsawed life into my allies.

You do better in melee than an assault marine. Then again, almost everybody does better in melee than an assault marine.

>Nothing about the Dark Imperium interests me.

Running a campaign on a nihlus world would be interesting

the fuck is a Nihlus world?

Dark Imperium is galaxy on the other side of the Scar, right?

Nihlus worlds are those north of the big warp line, cut off from the astronomicon

I'm guessing the Scar is the term for the warp line?

It's the Cicatrix Maledictum or somesuch. Or the Great Rift. I guess the Scar works too, in context I doubt anyone will miss your meaning.

I have a strong feeling that those stuck on the wrong side of the scar might just end up the more tolerant Imperium, out of necessity if nothing else. The saying 'Heaven is high and the emperor is far away' comes to mind.

These guys will need to make some pretty fucking tough compromises and work with those they would've summarily executed normally, all so that they can survive just one more day. Working with xenos of many kinds. Using and studying xenos-tech, hell even combining it with their own. Petty kingdoms forming left and right as scared/ambitious/downright crazy governors, chapter captains, inquisitors, admirals, etc declare themselves rightful heirs to the Emperor. Excellent fodder for an rpg.

Could be fun. They'll more than likely fuck it up.

>work with those they would've summarily executed normally
Highly unlikely. If anything, more people than ever are going to be executed. Especially if you're a psyker since the planets have been cut off from the Imperial sanctioning process.

This maybe an annoying question but where can I see the game actually played? My local store primarily does d&d and magic. Are there tournament vids out there? I'm learning more about the lore but have no idea what the play actual god damn play looks like

Imperium Nihilus is the High Gothic term for wrong side of the galaxy.

Psykers are gonna have a really, really bad time of it, no doubt. All of this warp bullshit will be laid at their feet as well as those of mutants and xenos, so their blood will flow pretty freely for a while. However, this is not sustainable in any fashion and those that don't get over that initial reaction will find themselves very much alone in a very hostile side of the galaxy. Astropaths alone are gonna become pretty invaluable, Navigators go without saying. Hopefully we'll also see some more fluff on various anti-warp tools and options that aren't just 'throw a psyker at it'.

It's gonna come down to who's willing to make use of whatever they have on hand cause they ain't in Kansas no more and backup is *not* coming. At least not for the vast majority of them.

>Astropaths alone are gonna become pretty invaluable, Navigators go without saying.
I don't see how. Unless I misread something, the MRB says the Astronomicon can't be seen in the Imperium Nihilus. So that renders Navigators useless. I guess Astropaths still would have some value, but since everyone's restricted to astronomicon-less baby jumps; they're still effectively worthless unless you're lucky enough to have a friendly planet a handful of stars over to help.

>So that renders Navigators useless
Really now. So they'll finally be purged like the filthy mutants they are. This pleases me greatly.

>I guess Astropaths still would have some value, but since everyone's restricted to astronomicon-less baby jumps; they're still effectively worthless unless you're lucky enough to have a friendly planet a handful of stars over to help.
Or you happen to have a xenos race(s) that have a completely different way of communicating and travelling stellar distances in a reasonable time-frame.

Don't navigators outdate the astronomicon? Pretty sure they can still function in a limited capacity without it.

How do you make Deathwatch campaigns interesting? Is it really as player dependent as people say?

They were created in the DAoT and used to use whatever whacky archeotech shenanigans the DAoT used. In the Age of Strife they were useless and almost went extinct. In the Imperial age they rely on the Astronomicon.

>mfw I'm basically in the same situation as OP
>mfw other player is actually a girl and no trap shit, she's shown be a picture of herself, she isn't super hot, but she isn't bad looking at all.
>mfw she has admitted to me that she really gets off to back and forth detailed narrative, which can easily be fulfilled in our current game
>mfw I don't quite think our characters are at that point yet, and I'm not sure I'm willing to brooch the subject to her now...
I guess I just bide my time, from how I'm reading it, it seems inevitable.

HAHAHAH wrong thread.

Where are the rules for playing an Eldar or Necron or Tau campaign?

All this Human RP is boring.

>Eldar
I can't think of a single group I've ever had that wouldn't play Eldar as
1) Not!Human
2) Tryhard mysterious and enigmatic
or
3) Ork PC-tier memefist

Also Tau sounds boring as fuck. The Tau Empire is basically a subtler 1984 where you can't even rebel because there's canonically only one rebel.

Playing a Necron Court and interparty intrigue might be fun, but would still probably end up, at best, dangerously close to Not!Human territory.

>These guys will need to make some pretty fucking tough compromises and work with those they would've summarily executed normally, all so that they can survive just one more day. Working with xenos of many kinds. Using and studying xenos-tech, hell even combining it with their own. Petty kingdoms forming left and right as scared/ambitious/downright crazy governors, chapter captains, inquisitors, admirals, etc declare themselves rightful heirs to the Emperor.
Hey that sounds exactly like human cultures the Great Crusade found and righteously exterminated.

>You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become a heretic.

>Now we are all filthy heretics.

I think it'd be interesting to see what excuses GM's can come up with to have their party members who are not the subjects of some rogue trader have humans and xenos work together. It'd be interesting to see that played right.

>Fucking Kroot smells like death and eats dead bodies but he can track like no other and we need him for getting through the wilds alive.
>Pansy ass eldar bitch is a cunt but damn is she a good shot.

I dunno that's just my thoughts though.

Our GM brought tons of horus heresy stuff in.

As in gear? What about story wise? I'm thinking an emphasis on tactical agency, but my players really lack initiative.

Easy enough answer here: They'll make dealing with the mutant and the xenos the problem for another day.

>Having to work with disgusting xenos filth due to lack of options.
>Will burn them ALL as soon as the light of the emperor becomes visible once again.
>Till then, grit your teeth and bear it.

>there's the potential for friendly Necrons

Now THAT
is going to be hilarious.

A necron lord or overlord going "I'm bored as all fuck." and just helping out some lesser beings because it is somewhat entertaining.

>yfw the NECRONS actually tried to reach out and co-operate with the Eldar
>YFW the Eldar went REEEE and shot it to hell

Cracks me up since canonically the Necrontyr were the ones who were so bitter and autistic they started the war in heaven because they were jelly and needed a scape goat

>autistic faction chimps out and basically destroys the galaxy in a giant war
>the surviving enemy faction tells them to fuck millions of years later
>haha dude why are you so angry haha and you say I'm the grumpy one haha

IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO

>ancient spiteful bastards who hated your dads more than anything in the universe are actually willing to work with you because they recognize the galaxy has become so fucked up in their absence that there are bigger fish to fry
>REEEEEEEEEE THIS IS THE PERFECT TIME TO KILL THOSE ALREADY DEAD BASTARDS THAT JUST RESPAWN WHEN KILLED

So much for the ancient wisdom of the Farseers. The old ones must be spinning in their swampy graves.

Navigators can see the Warp, anons. With the amount of Warp energy that's spilled into realspace following the opening of the Cicatrix Maledictum, that ability would be more valuable than ever, even if they might have difficulty guiding ships on long-distance Warp voyages.

So they'de at least be useful as Weather Vanes.

"Warpstorms a brewing!"

>playable xenos sounds fun
it's very possible to play xeno party. I want to try to work out making GorkaMorka into RPG since it has a lot of the elements there already. Probably convert very few parts into DH2 systems, but I can't spare the time to put it together.

The internet.

>tournaments

you looking for Warhammer 40k general? This is for the pnp RPG(s)

Good morning, Fa/tg/uys.

I recently just got in to tabletop roleplaying, being a huge fan of the 40k universe I decided to try and run my own game. I got a deathwatch core rulebook from a used book store. There's a section that says choose a tactic (Any) I cannot find a single listing of what the tactics actually are? Are there any lists, what page are they on? plx halp

Tactics is a skill with a few associated skill groups. Look on page 105 of the DW core book.

Found it! Awesome thanks.

Why do I feel like this RPG is going to bomb?

Make some underlying plot that the players uncover as the proceed to marine everything to death

>uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool
I hate dice pools but that's just me, to each their own and all that.

>a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.
I liked how FFG stuck to one area per book since it let them add mechanics specifically appropriate to that setting. Space combat in Rogue Trader, Cohesion and Tactics in Deathwatch, disposable Comrades in Only War, the balancing act between apotheosis and spawndom in Black Crusade. Trying to cover so much ground gives me the feeling it's going to be pretty thin, and leave disparate groups feeling a bit too samey.
One nice thing about FFG pretty much re-releasing the same system of rules for every line of their RPGs was that it allowed them to use new releases to iterate and rebalance elements of the core rules that broadly unified the system. If you have a single core rule book with race/powerlevel splats orbiting around it, then if you want to change those core rules you're left with a huge mass of errata. Imagine if they had to add errata for DH1e to get it to where DH2e is, or even Only War. All the skill changes, the overhaul on combat actions, the changes to psychic powers, updated weapon special effects etc, etc.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. The dice pool alone will probably keep me from playing it much regardless, fuck that noise.

> my players really lack initiative.
It's already ogre.

You can cover for them a little bit by giving them a very specific mission brief, go here, do thing Z, then go here, kill thing X; but once they learn the combat system it'll get stale quick.

Then again that's true of any RPG with inactive players. You really need at least one 'leader' who will make a plan and drag the other players along to get shit done. Having a group of all 'followers' will just leave them spinning their wheels in every situation, no matter if it's interesting or not.

player wants to roleplay getting mark of tzeentch. i am the dm. wat do? how does it happen?

He's gotta do the fucking things that embody tzeentch, in tzeentch's name.
It's not that hard user, for fucks sake

>What are your hopes for the new RPG?
A comprehensive, all-you-really-need-is-in-there core rulebook with non-restrictive basics of every possible character and campaign concept. THEN reasonably contentful expansion books focusing on more specific (playable) aspects such as Imperial Knights, Genestealer cults, Orks, RTs, Chaos worshippers etc. etc.

>Why do I feel like this RPG is going to bomb?
I find that highly unlikely. Could turn out to be shit but it won't bomb, too big a name for that.

Depends on your viewof what the mark is...
Physical marking? It can either be applied from the outside (ritual brand/tattoo/scars) by the player as the god inspires them to do so or by some other cultist that recognises their right to have the mark, or be magically created from within (skin discolouration, etc).
Spiritual mark? Could be a gradually developing blemish on their aura/soul, aspects of their aura changing to match any particular thematic colours, an actual glyph that can be seen by psychics and warp creatures, etc.
The easiest roleplay oportunities come from the "dream from the gods" directing the player to seek out the holy being that can apply the physical mark ...

Dice pool systems tend to boil down to have more dice.
I feel like GW approved this plan to get some autists who like rolling lots of dice into RPGs.
I wonder just how difficult it is to get a partnership with GW for making an RPG

>I hate dice pools but that's just me, to each their own and all that.
I also find it disappointing that they are not using the d100 system, or at least something that's not D6 as it feels cheap and lacking substance, as idk how easily it will be to transfer old characters.

>I liked how FFG stuck to one area per book since it let them add mechanics specifically appropriate to that setting
Same, not to mention that can homebrew Xeno pcs. GorkaMorka has a good foundation to homebrew into the DH2 system (with currency and Influence). Should the party ever get off world, switch it to RT or Only War as needed.

I'm def worried about the new system. Are they going to use any of the setting fluff introduced in the ffg rpgs?

How would a campaign where players are Sorcs of Thousand Sons legion work out? Every player would have 4 Rubics with them? Would they search for artifacts while using "magic" to look like inquisitors.

Is there a release date on the new game, or at least a demo/quickstart?

Deathwatch revolves around the Kill Team. A good GM should stress the doctrinal differences of the Player's Chapters when presenting possible solutions to a mission, as well as a Chapter's cultural ideosyncricies. This makes custom Chapters a bitch to deal with, but promoting the difference in warfighting and encouraging conflict within the Kill Team helps them grow into really Battle Brothers. The most obvious example would be a Dark Angel and a Space Wolf clashing over Chapter feuds and trying to outdo each other, or an Iron Hands promoting an artillery barrage over a Raven Guards stealth op.

These sorts of differences (and in my opinion, encouraging the Kill Team to rotate Alphas to not only match specializations, but also to give everyone a taste of leadership) and dealing with a free-form "here's a problem, here are some tools and a few possible solutions [but not all], solve it, deal with the reprcussions" mission structure helps give the players a more A-Team feel rather than a monotonous "go here, Bolter/chainsword dudes, go home" by-the-numbers gameplay. Just my two cents, I have run several campaigns and my players enjoyed it, even those that weren't super 40k fans.

>I liked how FFG stuck to one area per book since it let them add mechanics specifically appropriate to that setting
I'm not worried on that front, that's what splat books are for. It just means instead of needing to go to the Rogue Trader core rulebook to find ship rules for your Black Crusade game, you pull out your Imperial Navy splatbook.

Don't think so. It appears to be based elsewhere

The d100 system worked, but got out of hand quickly. More apparent when playing as a space marine, but hell the number of times my players quickly got a +60 for a skill was derpy.
Also pretty much everyone tried to max toughness, there was no downside for doing this.

>the number of times my players quickly got a +60 for a skill
This was especially bad in OW and DH2e, since the lack of class ranks to lock you out of skill ranks meant you could just rush straight for maxing out your main stats/skills really early as you often had both aptitudes (when I played a chirugeon in DH2e I was able to get to get to around 90+ on medicae tests by like the 6th session).

>the Rak'gol, Hrud, Stryxis, Severan Dominate, et al are going to be consigned to the Bin of Irrelevant Fluff forever now
Fucking GW

Wasn't the Calaxis Sector eaten by the scar thing?

No it survived. Not so sure about the one from DH 2E though

Jericho Reach was eaten. Calixis is fine.

Eldar are just big fans of oldcron, and were expressing their displeasure at the canon change.

Hadn't realized that the 2nd Edition of the games was set in a different area.
Odd question, especially since we'll never hear more about them and one part got swallowed by the Great Rift, but, which was better?

Calixis is a better setting.

Alright, GMs, what was the Tyrant Star?

A breach in the warp that caused minor daemons to appear and maddness to spread, plus psykers to appear.

I dabbled in some ideas regrading what would effectively be a reverse gellar field, deployed or created to screw over a planet. Never went anywhere with it though

A Yu'Vath construct of sorts

>you came to the imperium nihilis mitherfucker

Slaanesh's mobile anus

Tactical Mobile Anus?

A Deathwatch campaign set it a sector where all hell is breaking loose as a result of the Cicatrix Maledictum feels like it could be good.

That Eldar description is spot on my man. Had some fucks who nearly put me off of 40k RPGs because they always had to play a Eldar/DEldar no matter the system. Dark Heresy and Deathwatch were the ones that really grinded my gears to the max though.

Man what do you think Humans and Marines fighting side by side will be like?

Will the agents just get shit on? Or be more utilitarian while the Muhrines are combat bois

>Man what do you think Humans and Marines fighting side by side will be like?
Clusterfuck. Grade A, pure, retarded clusterfuck.

So after reading the website it looks like they're going for an all in one kind of package, No separation for Deathwatch, Only War, RT, that kind of thing. Even the Xenos will be in the base book.

Huh. I dunno how to feel about that.

And what, the GM allowed them to force an Eldar into DH/DW?

I mean mechanically, a base Eldar without any talents or whatever is better than a starting DH character, and thematically an Eldar should really not be running around with DW.

Probably going for a World of Darkness situation. Main book will likely give you the bare bones necessary to play those roles/xenos. And later on, they'll release focused supplements for those who want to be Imperial Knights, Rogue Traders, Space Marines. etc that offer more in-depth rules and fluff.

They already lost me at d6 dice pool based system (not because it's bad, but because its yet another of the same old few rpg game systems) but trying to do too much at once is never easy. If they don't have someone on hand that actually knows the material they are working with, they're fucked.

Well it's not like they'll go 4th E dnd levels of supplement book spam, right?
Then again, pathfinder is doing the same fucking thing...

Anyone ever run a game where the PCs were all assassins? I'm iffy on if the eversor could be a player, seeing as they're just Kill kill kill or asleep.

For Deathwatch players and masters. Have you ever found your Killteam having to go undercover into the mission, mainly in high populated areas? Like no armor, no fancy weapons, try to act like gladiators or gang meatheads?

I think it would have to be a team of Callidus, Venenum, and Vanus to be real PC material. The other ones are too singleminded. These ones have to have some kind of social lives, even if they only ever interact with targets and people surrounding targets.

Wouldn't that be more of Dark Heresy's territory?

Even without armour and weapons I'm not sure it's that easy for space marines to walk around like they're human beings

Can't you pretend to be a merry band of 6 feet something chads?

Yes. Yes he did. And it was hell. The DH Eldar was given all the fixings. Aspect Armor, the ability to craft their own weapons, ammo, and grenades, and psyker powers. Couple all that with the fact that their stats were just straight up better than a couple of bumfuck level 1 Acolytes and you can imagine how fun that game went. The DW situation was arguably worse. They played some Eldar/Human half-breed that the Kill Team was just supposed to be all buddy-buddy with because the Inquisition said so.

Space Marines are NOT 6 feet tall. This is the only good thing to come out of the primaris thing, if nothing else. Space Marines are taller than you, yes you! They are taller than anyone you know and everyone you've seen or heard of. They are tall and they look suited to their height. You would never confuse them for tall humans and they'd fall squarely into mutant territory.

Deathwatch says average armored space marines are "slightly over 2.1 meters". Assuming a few inches of that come from the armor, that's really tall, but not impossibly tall. I know some people in the 6'5" to 6'8" range.

2.1 meters is 7 feet, which is not outside the human range, which has been the canon height of an unarmored marine for ages. Hell, NBA players tend to be couple of inches taller then that don't they?

Thank god for Primaris Marines.

>some Eldar/Human half-breed
Unless your GM set the game in RT era fluff, that is definitely worse.

...now I kind of want a splat book for playing the RPGs with RT era fluff. Anyone know if Shas is still doing homebrew stuff?

I'm still sad that the Rak'gol are going to join the Q'orl in the 'irrelevant fluff xenos' pile.

>Playable OFFICIAL xenos

Finally, we have official rules. We won't have to resort to using dirty fucking homebrew.

This all sounds like my worst nightmare, why'd you stick around for it?

>Finally, we have official rules.
What, is FFG's xenos PC rules in Rogue Trader not official enough for you?

We have no official craftworld eldar or harlequins.

Rogue trader had rules for eldar, dark eldar, not so dark eldar, orks and kroot.
No, you can't be a nercon
No, you can't be a tyranid
No, you can't be tau

If you want to play a daemon, there's rules for that in the grey knight book.

>No, you can't be tau

Yes, I can. Tau Character Guide.

>No, you can't be a tyranid