Mining

Anyone here mining crypto at their company or workplace?
If I own a company and I can deduct energy costs from taxes, why should I not get a few asic rigs to mine crypto on the side?

>few asic rigs to mine crypto on the side?
>asic
>crypto
you mean BTC

>he doesn't know about scrypt ASICs

I can't offer any help, OP, but maybe an idea for any anons out there.

I go to a small local college at the moment 2 days a week.

The college currently has several hundred desktop PCs which are literally never turned off. Back in March, I had the idea to spend a few lunch breaks going to every one I could find, logging on and running Nicehash, then switching user so that I stayed logged in forever. The PCs are shitty, but I'm running 150-155 or so of them at a time, currently reaching ~45H/s each. Basically, I'm mining approximately 0.003 BTC every 24 hours at the current rate. Not a lot, but it's costing me literally nothing. I'm not even worried about anyone finding out, as the IT staff there are absolutely shit.

I should hit a full 1 BTC by the end of January/early Feb. Sadly, I'll be done at the college in July, but I might just leave them running after I leave and see how long before they gradually get switched off over time.

At my uni you have to log in with your own account and logout after. Sucks because they got i7's and rx460's up in 'em

What's stopping you from doing this everywhere they sell computers? Used to work at Best buy they never turned off the computers.

Technically the company owns the crypto you mine. Also it might get you fired for gross misconduct.

Nothing, I guess. I just haven't really found any places big enough that it's worth the hassle. I guess retail stores could work, but the nearest places to me won't allow new users to be created, sadly.

Only the tax component of the energy costs are deductible, not the full costs.

If tax rate is 20% and you pay Water&Power $100, then the deductible is $20 you still have to pay the $80

If I hadn't to log in/off in my college I could mine like 0.001 btc a day per computer room... and there are 30 computer rooms...

>have company
>expand into crypto mining
>get fired from own company for gross misconduct

OP you can (SHOULD, really) claim all the usual kinds of business expenses for mining... but only if it's in the books. If you're selling shoes or some crap and your energy bill suddenly triples but no more shoes fall out the other end, audits will come your way.

I do it

started a month ago, have 1.5 xmr already

thanks job! maybe I'll even make it some day!

We have a few high end gaming rigs we use for rendering, and like 40 other computers ranging from shitty office PCs to imacs, plus a bunch of servers, printers, plotters and so on. So a small increase in energy consumption would not stand out imo. We could always claim that we started rendering more offline stuff.

Would audit people even be able to identify mining equipment? Probably could just call it a server or whatever..

that would probably still be enough to make it profitable

i make that by buying and selling every couple of days dude. Mining isn't worth it if you don't have free electricity and equipment/doing it in a country with crazy low costs

I work at a large college in the IT department, I have access to plenty of workstations over the holidays. Any suggestions of a lightweight mining app I can install? What's the best CC to mine at the moment?

just how expensive is the electricity in your country that you have to mooch power off of others

I have free electricity

I don't have enough crypto to make a lot by trading (like 3 xmr total)

its about 30c/kWh here

it's not mooching when you own the company tho

>Mining isn't worth it if you don't have free electricity
i get some of the worlds most expensive energy, thanks to renewable energy meme, energy lobby and corrupt politicians with no term limits and a horde of sheep still giving these same old boys club parties 70+% of the vote every couple of years.

And mining still makes 6x the cost of energy it uses.

unless you have to make your own electricity on a bicycle dynamo, mining is worth it.

>~45H/s each. Basically, I'm mining approximately 0.003 BTC every 24 hours
autists instantly knew you were lying

>i get some of the worlds most expensive energy, thanks to renewable energy meme, energy lobby and corrupt politicians with no term limits and a horde of sheep still giving these same old boys club parties 70+% of the vote every couple of years

Germanistan?
Can you outline your setup a little bit?

only if you believe that the stuff you mine will be much more sometime in the future dude. There are sites to calculate if it's worth it for you and for me, using just a gaming pc with 2 semi good gpus it's deff. not worth it. Monero would need to reach like 2000k and still keep the same difficulty it has right now to be profitable to mine with the costs I have here in germanistan

If you say so, user. I'm not trying to brag or anything, and it's hardly anything crazy. You can stick those figures into a calculator and see for yourself. 45H/s is fucking garbage anyway, any decent mid-high end GPU will put out 8-10x that.

I'm merely suggesting that there are opportunities for any user in a similar situation to myself.

So.. according to this pic, if I put down ~2k I can take out ~0.3BTC a month, which currently is over 5k USD.
Even with energy costs thats easily 2x your investment every month.

Whats the catch?

>monero
you shouldn't be mining coins from the mining profitability equivalent of page 2 google results.

real capacity will pale to the advertised capacity? idk

they release a new one every 8 weeks and the projected income is based on the previous day/week/month/year or whatever, not taking rise of difficulty into account.
Unless it's also chinese tier quality and ends up way below the specs, it's still going to be profitable in all likelihood

why other cryptonight coin would you rather mine? there are not a lot of options, monero seems fine

Anyone know of some good Monero miners?

i have one s9 in my basement its pretty cold outside so it works perfectly and i can't ear it at all

No you're lying through your teeth, 45 hashes per second per computer there is no way that there would be enough computers in any college to amount to 0.003 BTC a day.

You're looking at 25TH/s for that amount per day

It cant be that much lower than advertised tho, can it?
My 1080 gets like 4GH/s with the Nicehash benchmark, my 1080 gets 6-7GH/s.
So these ASIC things are magnitudes more effective while being a lot cheaper. Even if they're half as effective as advertised, they still easily 2x the investment according to them.

do you know how nicehash works?

45h on cryptonight you fucking brainlet

Forget asics goys, you can't resell that for full msrp after you mine for months

Also, don't even think about an s9 in your room, my s9 is loud as fuck (it even fucking whistles)

Stock up on vegas, they are about to double in price

>in your room
what if I have a dedicated server room with thick ass walls and doors?

>being THIS fucking newfaggy

I have mine 3floors below my room and I still hear it at night

Because I just reported this post to the IRS, that's why.

I have GTX 1070TI rigs mining Zcash each 1070TI will net $90-$120/month on 480-550 sol/s in addition to not using a whole lot of power and with the added benefit of possibly being able to flip them later

Also have solar so energy costs are literally nothing

Pretty good start desu

If you are not Mining already,, why would you limit yourself to one algorithm arbitrarily?
Not to mention one that isn't even profitable at the moment.
Fuck asics, they don't even have value outside of crypto.

>monero
>not profitable

Buy a few dirtcheap electric heaters and claim you're using them when auditman cometh.

>mining with nvidea
Lmaoing at your life

Also,
>still using nicehash after that bullshit

they pay the best
They will refund the clients
Why would I change?

Thays your 1080? That's some pretty shit speeds.
Undervolt to 1V and put it to 2050 clock speed with +600 memory and rebenchmark.
Thank me later

well I dont think anybody will try to sleep in my warehouse

not american my friend

>Also have solar so energy costs are literally nothing
Who paid for the panels tho?

I have one of those Lenovo cube things, I think its got a pretty meh 1080. Also fands gotta be at 100% so it will stay below 72°C.

Probably wouldnt mine on this rig anyway because it's my home computer and I need it for work.

Thays why you undervolt it to 1v, it's pumped full of electricity on stock that's unnecessary to sustain those clockspeeds
It'll probably be even cooler

I'll look into it
Never bothered OC'ing my cards but if undervolting actually improves performance while lowering temps I will give it a try.

because cpu

Should look something like this.
Don't forget +600 memory for mining. Have a second profile at +400 for games/rendering whatever

thanks