What Are You Getting from Commander 2017?

So what improvements to your EDH decks will you be making with the new C17 cards? I don't care for the precons, but I always love getting new options for old decks.

The Kindred cycle seems like the big winners of the release. The blue one especially seems powerful for The Locust God, where it'll draw your whole deck after the first trigger. I'll probably put Kindred Charge in there as well, as doubling my insect army seems like a great way to overrun the board. I'll be trying out Kindred Summons in my Sliver Overlord deck, in addition to the previous two.

The Sliver deck is getting the most upgrades, with Herald's Horn and Path of Ancestry both joining in addition to the three mentioned Kindred spells. The white and black ones seem the least powerful overall due to the vulnerability of the former and the cost of the latter.

Bloodforged Battle-Axe seems like it'll be really good in my Hope of Ghirapur Voltron deck, as will Hammer of Nazahn.

Lastly, I'm sure I'm not the only Omnath, Locus of Rage player that will be making room for Traverse the Outlands. Seems potentially ludicrous.

I'll be getting the full kindred cycle for Reaper King and Crimson Honor Guard for my Tsabo deck

Vindictive Lich seems really strong for a Mikaeus deck, especially if you can bring it back from the graveyard a few times.

I'd say that every tribal deck of every sort will probably run Herald's Horn. Mini-Urza's Incubator with scrying upside seems really strong. Same goes for the Path of Ancestry. It's a tapland, but again, that scry value will add up quickly.

Is there anything worth getting?

Some of the new commanders look fun to build around. The only card that I've heard any Legacy buzz around is Stalking Leonin being floated as a potential include for Death and Taxes, and even that's questionable.

NOICE

The lich looks strong in meren. Some of the vampire stuff looks good. Path of ancestry is good since it is essentially a second command tower. And Teferi's protection seems like a good one time save against random blowouts.

Path of Ancestry is stupid and better than every tapland available.
Teferi's blahblah is the first cyc rift counter available and is Sunforger legal to booth.
Really hyped for the "goad everyone" red sorcery thing.

Bloodforged Battle-Axe is probably the most overhyped card in the set, and will likely underperform almost all the time, I only see it useful for Kemba and Sram.

Who in the fuck is overhyping Bloodforged Battle-Axe? It's just a bonesplitter or something that clones itself. That's total shit for commander.

Precisely. But it seems to be preselling very well.

I really want to steal someones elvish archdruid with this. Or a harmonic sliver.

>I really want to steal someones elvish archdruid
ho-ho-holy shit

>sliver hivelord

The best thing to steal is Gilt-Leaf Archdruid. That's some dirty tricks.

It's actually almost perfect for my Hope of Ghirapur Voltron deck, but I agree that it's not something I'd play outside of an Equipment-based deck.

>Stealing Elvish Archdruid in a vampire deck

What are you going to do with all that green mana user?

Kindred Charge seems very strong for any token deck in red. I can only imagine how horrifying it'll be in Krenko decks.

Exsanguinate?

Exsangiunate for 1? Read the card again.

>Other Vampire creatures you control get +1/+1.
>{T}: Add {G} to your mana pool for each Vampire you control.
>No color restriction on Exsanguinate's X casting cost

Not seeing the issue here.

r u dum

The only new card that really stood out to me was Shifting Shadow. I'll be sticking him in Sedris reanimator. Just about everything else I got was reprints. Love that new art for Apprentice Necromancer.

> Play Reaper King as your commander.
> Your 99 is Vampire Tribal. You get to use white/black Sorin and Blood Tyrant in the same deck. Life is good.
> Opponents laugh at you for using a scarecrow tribal lord as the commander for your vampire deck.
> New Blood your own Commander. Gloat as the vampires wreak glorious destruction in its name.

Yeah, sure, the most likely outcome is the Reaper King eating removal immediately upon beginning your shenanigans, but the dream is there.

that red enchantment that goads all creatures for my neheb.

I really want to steal someone's Krenko. Their Commander.

There's no enchantment. Did you mean the sorcery? As a way of forcing your opponents to tap out?

I haven't played MTG since pretty much Alara but I pre-ordered the new commander decks because I've always had a soft spot for EDH.

Are there any particularly juicy reprints? Also, I have the original commander decks, is it worth trying to track down the other sets?

TFW your friends always aim you because of Krenko, Mafia Boss.

He dum

I guess that's pretty neat.

yes that. disrupt decorum

I'll be getting Teferi's Protection because I like both the effect and the flavor and the fact that is uses Phasing.

Other than that, I'll honestly probably ignore this whole year's Commander set.