So, Emperor of Mankind. He is a complete and utter unfeeling asshole in the current canon...

So, Emperor of Mankind. He is a complete and utter unfeeling asshole in the current canon, but I think this grossly oversimplifies his character and makes him kinda boring. It is one thing when his personality remains ambiguous, his plans mysterious and his acts great and it is completely different thing when he is portrayed as totally unsympathetic douche who seemingly cares about nothing and no one. I get that he is the ultimate being and all, but can we have just a little bit of conflict in him? I mean he used to be so full of compassion, he couldn`t even kill Horus the moment he saw him, but I bet now they will re-write that iconic scene into something horrific and unrecognizable. Hell, I don`t even like the Big E that much, I just want him to be more of a complex character, I think the fucking Emperor of all people deserves it.

So tell me about the Emperor of Mankind, Veeky Forums. Do you like the current canon? What would you change? What is your Emperor like?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Aaron_Dembski-Bowden
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/328231-master-of-mankind-expect-spoilers/page-4#entry4577609
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fire ADB hire Bruva Alfabusa
declare TTS as the new canon

What a lot of whiners fail to realize is that the current 40k setting is one where even for those who DO feel things, they must sacrifice everything, even their own emotions, for the sake of their own or humanity's survival.

This is why you have things like Celestine losing a part of her soul every time she resurrects, or characters having to suppress empathy or mercy in the name of the Imperium.

The Emperor is a god who has transcended past the point of "needing to suppress his emotions" and has actually done it outright. He does care about humanity and humanity's survival, but if this means he has to be cruel to a few trillion human lives so that the future will arrive, he will do it without any remorse or hesitation. Because he is a god.

The only reason the characters are surprised by this in M41 is because when he was still in human form, he at least made a show of pretending he cared. Now that he is a warp god anchored to a corpse, he has no time or need for that bullshit.

I'm totally fine with the Emperor being an unfeeling asshole- if anything it makes sense considering his history. How many people, civilizations, hell entire worlds can you watch die while being immortal for thousands of years before you eventually become distanced from your own humanity.

I get the impression that people don't like this portrayal of the Emperor because they feel that it makes the traitors more sympathetic, but it doesn't. The Emperor being a sociopath still doesn't make any of the traitors' rebellions justifiable. Not Horus, nor Agron, Lorgar, any of them.

Magnus Did Nothing Wrong considering that important need-to-know info was kept from him

Honestly I don't mind the Emperor being a cold unfeeling asshole, I just want him to be a COMPETENT cold unfeeling asshole.

>Do you like the current canon?
No.
>What would you change?
I'd give him some humanity back. He needs to be a monster, certainly, and an asshole. You can't be ruler of the Imperium, or any conqueror, really, without some element of the callous. But he also needs to be something that people could want to follow, and there needs to be some degree of connection between him and the individual, particularly the Primarchs and Malcador (and we see far too little of his relationship with Malcador, given that the two of them even appear to be friends), because Horus as the rebellious son, and King's portrayal, WORKS, in a way that the current canon does not. Especially because the way that the current canon goes about it is a disaster that leaves him looking like an incompetent fool, while at the same time repeatedly saying that no, he's actually really competent, except for this time and this time and this time and this time and this time (etc.).
>What is your Emperor like?
I would imagine him as the very best and very worst of humanity. In 30K, anyway. By 40K I can more readily accept that his emotion and compassion will have withered away, and he continues on with grit and refusal to surrender. You can't sit in agony for 10K years and not lose something that makes you you.

It is not that I dont like new cannon, I dont like the road that GW and BL are taking. Evry mystery gone. In few years we will have fully flashed out 2 missing legions

>In few years we will have fully flashed out 2 missing legions
I wonder if they appear in 30k or 41k

It's still too early to give judgement on BL Emps, at least until Terra.

Anyway according to ADB he is putting the needs of mankind as a whole above the individual which is fitting with a lot of the Imperium's mindset

People don't like it because it's change from the early days of 40k, not understanding that the "emperor wuvs you" stories are meant to be deliberately ambiguous propaganda of questionable historical accuracy.

The current Emperor is basically Dr. Manhattan, but with the goal of having the greater human race ascend to total domination of the galaxy, defeating both Chaos and Xenos.

I like how current fluff of 40K turned slowly back to it's Dune origins. First you had the setting inspiration from first books, and now they are completing the circle with Emperor being more and more like Leto II

Except Leto II did have human connections with whatshername, didn't he? It's been a long while since I read Dune, but I distinctly remember him being still human underneath all the bugs.

This.

One of the divinations from the DH book stands out to me: "Men must die so Man may live."

there has been hints right from the start of HH( mechanicum if i remember correctly) that in the end he is just a warlord.
by purpose as the cabal said later (legion) - to transform humanity into a final weapon against the primordial annihilatior (chaos).

so the rest of all aliens can live in kumbaya bliss for all eternity.

I agree

He may be a guy called Eugenius Archon.

This. Leto never stopped being human. The God Emperor is always treated as being in a league of his own. Guilliman's current hang up is that he can't reconcile himself with the God Emperor's true nature. Instead of a humane father to Guilliman, He is a divine father to all of humankind.

Please do

Isn`t it a little bitchy on the Guilliman`s part? I mean dude spent 10 fucking thousand years paralyzed in constant agony, while doing some warp-shit and shining with light all across the galaxy. Of course he changed, hell he would have changed in 10k years even without all the Golden Throne shit.

This

Also
>Daily reminder

Why is he so hysterically praised on 1d4chan? Is it ironic?

If you read the new article it says a lot of people hate him and it has to do with him being an enormous chaosfag who projects his actual irl daddy issues onto the Emperor

Honestly what I think it is is the fact it's a wiki. The Base article saying he's great may have been written 5+ years ago when he was considered neat and before the Night Lords trilogy was (rightfully) re-evaluated as the Edge Lords & Waifus Wish Fulfilment Saga

>Do you like the current canon?
I do.
>What would you change?
Change his lack of full commitment in final fight not out of mercy for Horus but something else.
>What is your Emperor like?
Basically God-Emperor of Dune who's a benevolent supreme entity yet comes out as an asshole due to operating on entirely different level from baseline humanity.

Makes sense, but that article is just cringy. Was it written by ADB himself? I mean, just read this shit.
1d4chan.org/wiki/Aaron_Dembski-Bowden

>A younger, even sexier version of Dan Abnett with a bigger dick and a smaller word count. Member of the Bald Brotherhood of Awesome 40K Writers, also known as the Bald Bards of Steel.
>Aaron Dembski-Bowden is also well-liked by Daemonhunter lore masters
>He's also pretty well-liked by Ultramarine players for making them cool again.
>In fact he's pretty good at making all factions awesome but imperfect. See, for example, his portrayal of Angron. While Angron is indeed a dreaded unstoppable killing machine, he's also a pitiful character who blames others for his problems.

Etc, etc, etc...

This is the real problem.
When The Emperor was portrayed as giving a shit, his failings could be chalked up to the irony of mankind's greatest being felled by his very humanity.
If he's an absolute asshole that doesn't give a single shit about his creations, he instead turns into a drooling retard.

Because he writes good stories, at least in BL standards. And he gets so much shit in Veeky Forums that he actually comes out as an underdog.

It doesn`t even look like an article, for fucks sake. Just wall of text praising this hack.

Bear in mind that it was originally written during a different time, when he hadn't gone full George Lucas and people were somewhat less restrained in their writing styles.
1d4chan's older articles as a whole are a time capsule to the shit people used to think was acceptable writing.

Its almost like... He actually does have good feelings!
Either the man himself or a Bolter & Cucksword fanboy wrote it years ago and it wasn't actually updated since except for
>PS he's actually shit and has daddy issues t. Every Veeky Forums poster ever
There's a lot of cringe on 1d4chan because, again, it can be edited by anyone and has literally 0 oversight
It wouldn't surprise me if ADB or an associate actually did write it as he regularly hangs around Bolter and Cucksword and posts his personal fanfiction headcanon and presents it as objective fact. Needless to say, its almost always edgelord chaosfag bullshit

>If he's an absolute asshole that doesn't give a single shit about his creations, he instead turns into a drooling retard.
He gives a shit about his creations. He wouldn't invest so much power in them otherwise. I think you just want Emperor to hug them and shit.

I guess, but shouldn`t articles in wikis at least try to be impartial? This article doesn`t really give me useful information, just a whole page of some creepy ADB-worshipping.

>He wouldn't invest so much power in them otherwise
I think we have different definitions of giving a shit.
I keep my car well maintained because I want it to keep working, but I don't class that as giving a shit.

This. A lot of the Emperor's actions regarding the Traitor Prinarchs make sense if he as a bastard of a father who still cares, but isn't good enough at being one to give them what they really need. This. Cold and callous shit they've been pushing just makes his previous actions look retarded though, like a bad Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Yeah you want Emperor to consider his lab grown tools of conquest as sons. Well he doesn't. There is no reason to; they are ultimately tools to be rendered obsolete. Fucking Emperor himself wants to be obsolete so humanity no longer needs him.

>There is no reason to
I can think of one reason to at least acknowledge they aren't automatons. Some small event called the Horus Heresy, might have heard of it.
Him being a shitty father explains his shit parenting, and a remnant of humanity explains his stupid decisions.
Him being a cold callous asshole makes him not grasping their blatant emotional issues, and the actions that resulted, pants on head retarded.

Everything wrong with the 30K writers massive stupidity plunge can be summed up with the Burning of Prospero.

Russ's OG character is basically Conan, a Dour Barbarian whose personal ethos is Loyalty and a huge distrust of Magic.

Magnus was your quintessential Wizard, whose Arrogance blinds him to the powers he dabbles with.

After 30K Russ is now this super genius hidden Pysker who just pretends to be a Barbarian and Magnus "Did nothing wrong" Abloo Abloo.

The entire events around Prospero have been shifted too. It was a Massacre on the level of the Drop Site Massacre originally, it was wholesale slaughter done by a Band of Barbaric Warmongers against an unprepared Legion.

Now it's some barely won endevour because the Thousand Sons have Magical mary Sues to evaporate Space Wolves by the Hundred and Space Wolves win by fucking Fiat.

They made the Burning of Prospero less a Tragic fall and more of a fucking cartoon.

Spotted the Chaosfag.

Let me give you a hint. The Emperor found all of his Sons as Grown men, leaders of Nations and Kingdoms.

They shouldn't have fucking daddy issues when every single one of them KNEW their duty as soon as the Emperor showed up.

It's just the doubts, Arrogance and hubris' of the traitor Legions have all been turned into Daddy issues by the HH writers. Every single Traitor Primarch developed their problems WAY BEFORE the Emperor found them.

Nah you're just a awwooo faggot. Keep crying those bitch tears furrcunt.

What's this from? Pretty sure not from Veeky Forums since it contains wisdom and not blind hate.

The Burning of Prospero was supposed to be a Massacre of such size it made Russ Question his entire outlook on life, and instead turn from a Glory Seeking Savage to a person who focuses on the Good of the common people of the Imperium. Changing it from this to a Hard won battle where the Thousand Sons are now Magical Girls covorting with Daemons already defeats the point that the Burning was the tipping point that Shattered Magnus's Faith in Humanity.

Probably from Tumblr because it sounds like a person who started 40k in 2012.

It's wrong on every account.

I'm ADB and that's my sockpuppet.

Or maybe it was from this:
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/328231-master-of-mankind-expect-spoilers/page-4#entry4577609
>EDIT 2: To illustrate some of these points more concisely than I did, here's a message explaining the Emperor's angle, from a former IP-entrenched soul:

Wrong. The Emperor felt that Horus was redeemable but Fagnus was a lost cause

I mean, considering how much the articles shit on Ward and Goto and such, I don't really expect impartiality.

So much this. Immortal super-geniuses constantly having childish fits look idiotic.

>It's wrong on every account.
On account of your headcanon maybe.

Could you elaborate?

It wasnt a close won battle. The Wolves kicked their shit in easily

And how.

Exactly. I often see people trying to defend the constant drivel GW / BL keep shitting out by saying that 'they had to advance the setting somehow', but this argument only holds water if you're the kind of window licking manchild that can't play toy soldiers without having 90% of the imaginative but done for you. 40k was always a setting, not fucking marvel comics. Weapons grade autism has fucking ruined the ip.

I didn't know Rogue Trader descriptions of the Emperor were Headcanon these days.

Rogue trader and earlier editions of fiction regarding the Emperor Paint him more of this Alexander the Great figure, but with more Empathy for his fellow man, People obviously remember Ollius Pious and such, but in general the tone of the Emperor and indeed the Primachs has shifted dramatically.

They were written to be like Ancient Mythological Heroes and Generals. With larger than life personalities and great chasms of flaws. The HH books have taken these ideals and made them into extremely petty and childish men.

>They were written to be like Ancient Mythological Heroes and Generals. With larger than life personalities and great chasms of flaws. The HH books have taken these ideals and made them into extremely petty and childish men.
Absolutely agree.

>Rogue trader and earlier editions
It isn`t exactly canon then, at this point.

Rogue Trader as in Rogue Trader, or Realm of Retcons 1, or Realm of Retcons 2?

But yeah, the Primarchs sure have changed.

I'd go with the well intentioned extremist approach & slowly into a more robotic & asshole way. Someone who had dreams for mankind of a glorious empire which he & his sons rule to where he is now. Someone who wanted to see the primarchs as his sons but through numerous betrayals, ambitions of theirs which he doesn't support & the only son to visit him the past 10k years mingling with Xenos like the Eldar, he became cold & incapable of seeing them as the sons he wished to love.

RT stuff for the Emperor as a Person is mostly unchanged right up until 3rd edition really.

I have some Khorne daemons I used to run pure instead of Daemonkin, anyone got some army building suggestions? I have at least 1-2 units of pretty much everything except thrones and Bloodcrushers, and I do have a few Blood Slaughterers.

Wait shit this isn't a general, ignore me.

I might find a justification for this. For me, Emps maybe did have a more sympathetic and benevolent side that eroded with time.

Remember when the Primarchs mirrored certain aspects of him? Like Magnus representing his mastery of psychic powers, Angron representing his wrathful nature, Vulkan being the representation of his compassion while Sanguinius being the representation of his idealistic traits? I bet that when he created the Primarchs he lost certain characteristics because he gave those to his "sons". And the moment he gave them those characteristics, he stopped seeing them as his sons and saw them as just tools.

That and 10K years of being on the Golden Throne, as a wreck of what he became after his fight with Horus, experiencing indescribable pain and suffering while enthroned probably took a toll on him. That and probably his mind splitting apart.

So even if he were a somewhat sympathetic individual, he ain't one anymore. Pity, since I miss 3rd ED fluff when he shed tiny tears over all the soldiers that died in his name for 10K years. Then shedding tender ones for every apocalyptic battle the Imperium took part in.

No. Now you will have to tell us your opinion on the Emperor.

Emps can`t have tears now, he is a villain who has no positive qualities.

The Emperor is a tyrant,but the best tyrant one can wish to have.
He has the personality like pic related but taken on a divine level.

In theory yes. But in reality, 1d4chan was made at a time when wikis like Encyclopedia Dramatica were in, and being impartial or informative was regarded as secondary to attempting to be entertaining and make as many inside jokes and references as possible. Sure new Articles get created from time to time, but any real major attempts to reform the site usually get cockblocked by the mods, leaving it a rather embarrassing relic of an older time. It's why a good portion of Veeky Forums views it with disdain, like the weeaboo friend you had when you were younger but instead of growing out of his immaturity he managed to fall deeper in to the spiral and you no longer enjoy his company or want to be around him anymore.

From the thumbnail in the catalogue, the eagle wings look like kitty ears on the Emperor.

What a truly fitting analogy. Describes 1d4ch pretty much spot on.

And there is nothing wrong with it!

ADB pls go back to your containment forum

It was an obvious sarcasm, user.

That doesn't really work because he clearly has many of the traits embodied by his sons. He's still a badass warrior, he's still a master psyker, he's still a persistent bastard like Mortarion, he's still everything the Lion was.

I'm not even sure it makes sense that he would feel less of a kinship to them if they were literal parts of his psyche. If anything I imagine he would be far more possessive of them.

As someone who hasn't really read the fluff since 2008, could anyone give me a run down of what the hell they've done to the Emperor. It sounds awful, I always liked the sense that he was a very powerful but flawed human, Arthurian almost, rather than a turbo autism predestined fate Buddha. I liked that he wasn't a God from the get go, and his state in M41 always added to the tragedy of the whole setting.

kys imperiumcucks lmao
claiming this thread for
CHAOS
H
A
O
S

More than makes up for the dicksucking that occurs on B&C

They're trying to portray him as this cold, calculating mastermind who never gave a shit about any of the Primarchs and has no positive feelsings whatsoever. The problem with this arises from the fact that this contradicts with his actions, especially towards the Primarchs when they stepped out of line. By removing any subtext or nuance of emotion clouding his judgement, they just make the Emperor look like A cartoon villain tier fuck-up. The Best example of this is with Angron, where a real cold, ruthless warlord would gotten rid of Angron and his nutjobs after they got in a fight with Leman Russ went he sent him to tell Angron to stop his butcher's nails shit.

Basically a robot who sees his sons as tools, final battle is now Horus just beating him up instead of Emps letting grief cloud his judgement

>There is nothing so cruel as pure logic

Also he's a dirty hypocrite who trafficked with the chaos gods to get his powers

So was mine but the internet can't convey it

Wait... WHAT?!?!

My car is a tool.
If somebody steals my car, and five years later I find it, and somebody's rigged the engine so that it constantly accelerates to 75 miles an hour and instead of brakes working you have to turn off the ignition, I would have the car junked.
I wouldn't say 'a broken sword can still cut lol' and start using it again.

Vengeful spirit.

Emperor travelled with immortal friends to planet with chaos portal, bartered with Chaos for them to give him power in return for allegiance or something, then he betrayed them and ran away, so they scattered his kids as payback

That was the point at which I decided that Games Workshop had well and truly lost their tiny little minds.

I mean, it's one thing if the Emperor's wisdom stat is nothing to write home about, but -THAT- is too pork fucking stupid on his part to be believed AND goes against established canon that *Chaos itself* calls him the Anathema of Chaos.

I write that off as daemons being lying shits, something as far as I know that still isn't retconned.

t. browser of a Mongolian finger-painting wall

No, Alivia confirms it, and she was there.

So... How long have they been letting ADB and friends writing canon with a combination of crayons and "nothin personnel, kid" stickman drawings?
Why in the FUCK would Big E barter with Chaos... You know the entity he's sworn to despise and destroy. And they can see the fucking future they know they hate him as well! How is this canon? Why?
At no point in time did Malcador go "Hey, Emps... This is more batshit than Curze on LSD"?

This so much

Literally who?

Sadly, the old guard has retired and now chaosfags are running thinga

The immortal friend who was left to watch over the chaos portal

On the other hand, old empathetic Emps made no attempt to save Angron's comrades and apparently never intended to, didn't care about it being common knowledge that Mortarion also hated him, and fully approved of the Word Bearers simply massacring everyone in their path after he told Lorgar off.

Does she have shiny angel wings and is actually half eldar, half human, and descended from daemons and first in her class in power sword training and was discovered by Big E when she was 16? Because it sure sounds like the tier of writing we are dealing with
So are they gonna AoS the setting or why the fuck do they do this?

I honestly despair, the Emperor's humanity being his undoing was one for the best bits about the HH as I understood it. It worked so well with the whole theme of humanity being doomed post heresy. Yeah fine it was very close to a King Arthur rip off but it made sense and perfectly fitted the setting. God damn stuff like this actually makes me sad. Between that and AoS...

>Does she have shiny angel wings and is actually half eldar, half human, and descended from daemons and first in her class in power sword training and was discovered by Big E when she was 16?
Nah, she's pretty boring, she's kind of a side character until she fails to close the portal and gets killed by Horus.

>So are they gonna AoS the setting or why the fuck do they do this?

I think they're making 40k into an Imperium vs Chaos game and sidelining the other factions

And Leto II was competent.
He managed to hold the power for over thousand years (if I remember correctly) and died when he wanted in a way that suited his plan, that mankind will expand and thrive among the stars.
Just as planed.

While Emps fucked everything he could outside the unification and great crusade.

At this point I would not mind if they made halfbreeds canon, if only to enjoy the tears of that one DEldarfag who always shit eldar threads because someone quoted that Metal Gear Solid scene.

Zog it, unless they make a better writing I will go along with TTS!Emps' personality as my headcanon.

It was always heavily inspired by other media. The fact it was an Arthurian tragedy IN SPEHSS complete with larger-than-life heroic characters like Primarchs or brave Little ants like Ollanius Pius made it excellent
When GeeDubs decided to advance the plot, why in the most retarded way? Honestly I feel like they'd have been better served to have everything be rumours and lies. The universe in 999.M41 could end and so the Emperor could get back up. Or the DEldar could murderfuck the universe into nothing. Chaos could unite and win. Necrons could kill everything. Tyranids could eat us all. Eldar could do witchcraft BS or the Orks could unite. There's no set future but all have a chance to win. This made the game fun. And it let you enjoy the ideas of Dan Abnetts where it's a setting and you play historical reenactment within the setting ie play the Sabbath Crusade or Second War for Armaggedon.

>brave Little ants
* who only existed in propaganda

>Dan Abnett
Since you mentioned him, if people want to get mad at ADB for "making the Emperor evil", Abnett wrote stuff to that effect well before ADB did.

>Abnett wrote stuff to that effect well before ADB did.
Since when?
AFAIK the Emperor features rarely in his HH novels