Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/ (also /pfg/)

Character Art Edtion:

How do you design your character's appearance? Pick a brace of images to reference off of? Or just find something "Most Similar"
/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

....mustachioed elf is cute.

Depends on the character. Sometimes I'll go concept -> art -> look, sometimes, I'll go concept -> look -> art, sometimes I'll go art -> concept -> look. Sometimes I just don't find art.

Like? smite evil? cool feature, but only works against Evil, maybe is just my personal experience, but Evil chars are scarce as fuck in every campaign I have been into, maybe the BBEG and one or two others, which makes the Paladin shine like once in ever 20 games, not very fun.

Now that Divine Protection got nerfed well, yeah, Paladins have pretty good saves, but that's almost it, 2 level dip.

I usually base the character off art, rather than base the art off the character.

Come up with the concept then look for a fitting picture,

It's the last, last step.
I come up with a very basic concept, then the mechanics, then backstory so as to encompass those as needed, desperately try to find an image that's appropriate, and then adjust things like hair color and appearance descriptions to match more closely.

I love that mustache.

"Dude, look! Moustache!"
And this is how now I have the weirdest boner.

This picture is to scale.
The tiny red thingy is a real life ship.
The huge black blob is a Starfinder spaceship.
The fun part? They have exactly the same crew size and total mass.

>manned by giants
>made out of Nano-Encapsulated Aerogel
What now?

And that makes perfect sense.

Automation is a thing.
Light materials are a thing.
You must use light materials in shipbuilding because mass does not go away in zero g.
The Drift is not real space and takes different motive powers than a pair of turnscrews run by a diesel engine.

Basically, you're fishing for replies.

Not him, and I mostly agree, but how about artificial gravity inside the ship? how would those light as fuck materials would support stuff made for planets (like vehicles, supplies, people, droids, etc)?

The answer is syfy materials with minimal mass and max resistances

According to page 293, crew numbers are only relevant to NPC-controlled ships and PC's pilot their own ship without crew help.
According to page 316, NPC's can aid another each other in combat, which massively boosts their skill capacities.
According to page 327, all NPC crew members get amazing skill bonuses - by level 20, their good skills are +34, their best skills are +39.
+39 is identical to what a level 20 Operative with a +8 relevant ability modifier and a +2 racial bonus to the skill would have, making it pretty amazing.

Now, let's look at the DC's.
The DC's are insane - the very lowest level 20 DC's are 50, being a fuck you to anyone but Operatives and Envoys, most are in the 55-60 range, making them fairly difficult for even Operatives and Envoys who call in computer support, and some are as high as 70, being impossible for even an Operative with aforementioned skill modifier who requested computer support for a +10 and rolled a nat 20 for a total of 69.
This makes for crazy difficult DC's for PC's, with PC's failing them more often as levels increase.
On the other hand, increasing crew sizes massively helps NPC's, which means that NPC ships become hypercompetent with level while PC ships become increasingly incompetent with level to the point of autofailing most checks unless they call in computer support (which is at most 2 checks per round for the entire ship) and autofailing some checks EVEN WITH computer support.
All in all, it seems like while low level ship combat is possible for PC's, NPC's utterly dominate and wipe the floor at high levels.
Moreover, all non-Operative non-Envoy characters quickly become useless at ship combat due to incredibly brutal scaling on skill DC's.

How is this remotely sane?

Tensile strength is not reliant on density of material user. It's reliant on the construction of the material. That's why carbon fiber nanotubes are nearly indestructible while weighing nearly nothing.

I want to steal a Dreadnought and Allahu Ackbar it into a Sun City!

>implying that just because a PC doesn't need help means he cannot get help
The fact that you're stupid might have something to do with it.

That's what the rules say.
You can't be aided by the NPC's if you're a PC.

....why? That's kind of rude to the explorers and research teams.

What page does it say that on?

Nobody is saying it would "break" but deformations might happen, even if it's 100% elastic ones.

Page 293 says PC's control the ship without a crew.
Page 316 specifically says that NPC ships can use aid another, thus contrasting them with PC ships.

How well written are Ironman Mint Vase On and Beige Peons?

That's Ironfang Invasin and Strange Aeons respectively.

Deformation might be intensional, considerign hard and inflexible materials break when exposed to high stress, such as, say, THE DRIFT or gravitic/magical/psychic/physical anomalies.]

Just saying.

They're filthy Sarenrites! Glory to the Black!

What SF class best suits an Admiral/Petty officer of a spaceship? Someone with not-bad skills with the saber and pistol but ultimately valuable because they have useful utility abilities when outside their ship.

>Most androids are fully grown at the time of their birth, and can technically live forever through constant repair, though most androids voluntarily release their bodies after a century or so to allow new souls to inhabit them- a process called renewal that's viewed more as procreation than suicide.

Can someone explain how this bit of lore works? So most androids just decide to basically do a factory reset on themselves after a while? And that's normal? And then people think of the new android (also why does it get a new soul when the old one passes on) as like a child to the first, even though they have no connection of personality, experience, or childhood with them? How should non-androids view this? I just don't really understand it, not how it would work or why someone would do it, so it reasonable to assume most people wouldn't?

This just gives me so many questions.

>sample image

Why.

Friendly reminder that the Inner Planes still exist in Starfinder so all real world science is bullshit!

That's exactly what I said, no?

Why should the Drift be high stress, it's literally called the Drift, aka multi-planar drifting.

It's called 'alien culture', user. You shouldn't understand it immediately, or perhaps at all, especially if you are a player. it should, in fact, freak you the fuck out as a human, especially with how precious humans think their individual souls are.

>multi-planar drifting
Masaka!!

Unfriendly reminder that autistic idiots should not be listened to because they're so creatively bankrupt they can't comprehend the possibility of parallel systems existing in concert and tandem at the same time.

Okay chief, let's have our W-bosons and gluons while there are earth elementals from the Plane of Earth where all earthy stuff comes from. And water elementals from the Plane of Water where all watery stuff comes from...

Yes, because drifting through multiple planes of reality and existence can't possibly be stressful on material objects.

Fuck.

Reminder that while using the Drift, you have the perfect chance to have a call back to a Pathfinder campaign as the ship passes through one of your permanent demi-planes you automated to factory produce copies of yourself, leaving an entire plane to be filled to the brim with clones of a gray haired old man.

The concept of spiritual reality intersection with physical reality is so old that they actually have their roots in hunter-gatherer societies, user.

Literally, the idea that the physical worlds and the spiritual world are interconnected and also separate is a basic precept of shamanic tradition since humans still used their knuckles to walk. It is not that hard to grasp.

I have plans to do exactly this. My theory on drift is that its using pre Gap space where demiplanes where held. One of these days the party will have their ships malfunction and crash into one of the demiplanes created by our many PCs who achieved immortality from one way or the other and be in for a surprise as old characters make cameos and offer to sell PF wondrous items in exchange for information on the new world.

You know, there's literally a massive library in one of the Pathfinder books that's nothing but a demiplane that eats other demiplanes. Maybe it's related.

Page 316 does not say NPCs can use aid another during ship combat phases.

Page 316 says that the officer requires the assistance of a minimum amount of crew in order to operate on those ships. In fact, it specifically notes that the individual crew members do not take turns.

Ship combat is in phases. Aid another can't even be used in ship combat by anyone, NPC or PC.

But the book says the skill modifier of each individual crew member, and it's massive.
There's very little leeway to interpret "assist" as anything other than "aid another".

Sure but the Inner Planes are literally reality's building blocks.

There is very little leeway to interpret "assist" because "assist" isn't "aid another" so it's not "aid another". Why would you inject a tactical combat action into the explanation of phase-based ship combat?

Stats are defined because the officers clearly use those stats.

How many teeth have your character lost over his/her career? Did you replace them with gold ones?

Well sure, that's fine, but I still want to know how the process works. Why does the Android body just get a new soul? That doesn't happen to anybody else, a human can die and then have their corpse repaired but no new soul is going to enter it. Also, what does this mean for attempting to revive an Android that's undergone renewal? Does it erase the current soul inhabiting that body, or make a new body, or just fail?

>it would take hours to resolve a single round
Oh ho ho ho.

Even if that reading is right, it just means high level DC's are retarded for everyone.
As said, an Operative can't hit the DC 60 DC without computer support and struggles with the DC 55 without computer support.
Computer support is extremely limited, so your average high level ship will be failing most checks all over, with incompetence increasing with levels.

Nice picture ruined with the stache.

None! He a good boy about them teeth.

Why does he deserve a +4 magic item at 5th level but not my monk, who has 0 magic items beyond healing potions?

His grow back in the matter of minutes and feel nothing and he uses them to bite fully armored men and tears them out if something is stuck between them, so I would say that where others of his charisma leave a trail of broken hearts he leaves a trail of broken teeth.

There's a difference between 'deserving of pity' and 'deserving of being put down'.

In SF, is there a maximum amount of ranks you can put in a skill at each level, or can you dump all your points into one or two skills if you so choose?

Which are his stats and feats? maybe he's underpowered and that's why the GM threw him a bone

20, 14, 16, 9, 12, 9
Pretty sure these are some of his feats:
Power attack
Furious focus
Weapon focus (greatsword)
Weapon specialization (greatsword)
Cleave

He has a fullplate, ring of swimming or whatever, and now an adamantine +2 undead bane dragon bane greatsword

My equipment barely reaches 300 gp

And like I said in the previous thread, no magic item feats allowed, no magic item market yet because city is in development (we can only buy stuff belog 300 gp), and magic items found in encounters are rolled but it's always +1 leather armor (we have now 5), some mithral light armors, some darkwood bows and quarterstaves, some scrolls, some rings but none +1 something only stuff like swimming or that one that lets you survive with 50% or so of food and water, a +1 dagger, and that motherfucking greatsword that costs literally more than everything we found so far

>In SF, is there a maximum amount of ranks you can put in a skill at each level
1/level

Anyone else hate it when you spend about thirty hours proofreading, editing and writing an app only to not get in the game because of something that GM didn't mention?

The whole culture of apps are retarded
You should pick players first, characters second

God damnit. Cannot unsee.

>Expecting quality design from Paizo

Have you learned nothing, sweet child of mine?

Where do whores go?

Hell, mostly.

To jail usually, depending on the current country's laws on prostitution.

>because of something that GM didn't mention?
wut

A better question; what are brothels like in Cheliax?

Full of Tieflings.

Yep. Not a very good feeling.

Tell me about it!

Missionary Position only.

That close to Nidal, though?

Zon-Kuthon is an incredibly active deity, user. They love missionary work and missionary positions.

What are operative gunners trying to roll to beat DC 60 for? The highest level ship that I can find is the Tyrant, and it has an AC of 28 and a TL of 26.

Are you referring to gunnery attack rolls? An operative who is equal level to the Tyrant and has put max ranks into piloting has over a 50% chance to hit the Tyrant without computers, captains, or dex modifiers, whether or not the Tyrant is using stunts.

Otherwise I'm not sure what this DC60 is.

Skill checks, m8.
All skill checks fall into one of the following DC categories:
>10+2*Tier
>15+2*Tier
>20+2*Tier
>10+3*Tier

It's time to accept that he's secretly a DMPC and move on.

I want to duo app as a Chewie and Fuckface pair in Starfinder.

That's Pathfinder skill scaling. Starfinder uses generally lower numbers for everything.

Those DC's are from the starship combat chapter.
I literally looked through the chapter and marked down all DC's that ever appear there - all of them fell into one of those categories.
In other words, they kept DC scaling from Pathfinder, but nerfed skill modifier scaling, which is retarded.

Like this?

Yes!

Can I use monkey style with a bow user?

Climbing requires both hands free.

Starfinder campaign when?

I gotta finish reading this rulebook first!

Tell me about the campaign idea you have in mind!

Probably let my microphile preference out again and run a world visiting colonization campaign. Imaginw Tiny people visiting the worlds of giants and helping them out with stuff in exchange for supplies.

Might use some of the meme ideas from /pgg/

Should my Starfinder Elf be a melee expert, or a big shoot-banger?

??
Monkey style doesn't do what you think it does

Do it!

Are there any pathfinder spells that will allow me to drift a wagon?

Is there a table for drift travel? I can't find anything in the CRB.

I like how the Starstone is basically the Golden Throne, and any ship traveling to Absalom Station (regardless of distance) can do so within 1d6 days.

>You would you like to know more?

[YES]

oi

Not that user but I'll probably do one set shortly after the gap. Vesk are still hostile aliens are still alien and PCs have to deal with culture shock for the first time and I'll probably cut that corporation shit out of the story completely.

But what if I wanted to play a Vesk?

Nobody can run their custom campaigns until Alien Archieve drops
You can only run Adventure Path

That would be the point. You can play any Ayylmao but dealing with adversity would be one of the challenges. I know SF current setting is ultra progressive and while that kind of makes things PC, I'd like aliens to feel you know... alien. Even when dealing with other aliens.