Has Veeky Forums altered your ideas about anything?

Has Veeky Forums altered your ideas about anything?

Even on an island of shit in an ocean of piss you can find diamonds.

I now have a much higher opinion of loli characters in traditional games and loli characters in general.

Mostly that the rest of this website is trash.

What I learned on Veeky Forums is that I'm not the only one with top tier fetishes.

Yeah, that player enjoyment is always always more important than rigid adherence to game mechanics

That wasn't reflexive for you?

I will never look at monsters in the same way.

After looking at the ways some people on here play/run games, I feel like my group, as dysfunctional as it is, is a goddamn gift from whatever gods laze about up among the stars. We argue and we bicker about things, but I at least won't ever have to deal with players who act like the fuckers around here or the assholes that they describe as being That Guy.

Yeah, I hate kobolds now.

From my time on Veeky Forums, I have come to the conclusion that Elves are the best race in any fantasy setting.

This is the main one. Even the better groups described here seem like psychopathic murderhobos compared to the groups I've actually been in, and the That Guy GMs seem almost indescribably awful.

Other things:

1) I genuinely never realized that 3.5 was unbalanced, because nobody I played with ever gave a damn about optimization and we would all have agreed to tone down a character that turned out to be overpowered. The caster-vs-martial dichotomy was also new to me.

2) I didn't realize how strong the grip of D&D was, and the consequent degree to which roleplaying was dominated by fantasy. I always preferred universal systems and science fiction, which meant that some of the things that frequently show up here were new to me, like the prevalence of D&D's strong character typing by class and alignment or the endless "What system do I use for X?" questions. I guess this isn't a "changed my mind" thing, as such, but it's definitely a new perspective.

3) I once thought that I had some vague grasp of what real medieval arms and armor were like. I now realize that I have no earthly idea what real medieval arms and armor were like, and thus no clue what a realistic depiction of them would be. Given the seemingly eternal debates on the topic, it's clear that I definitely don't care enough to figure it out. I was surprised by the mobility actual plate armor offers, though... unless that one's wrong, too?

4) I had no idea that many players wanted sexism, racism, torture, rape, slavery, and/or prostitution in their games, generally in the name of historical realism. Although I admit that I wasn't really a huge fan of medieval settings to begin with, this stuff has really soured me on them, and I'd much rather play in post-industrial settings now, to avoid hideous time periods overflowing with human misery. (Yeah, the 19th century's not a picnic, but I'll take it over the 14th any day.)

Yeah, this is pretty true.

Goblins too.

It's exposed me to a bunch of new games, but not really.

To quote Lem: "The internet made me realize how many idiots are there in the world."

I used to think that potatoes, sugar, and other anachronisms were a major problem in fantasy settings.

But Veeky Forums had made me realize that only retarded autists flip their shit over them, and that I should just let it go even if it annoys me, because I don't want to be like the idiots on Veeky Forums.

Why?

I hate furries even more now. It's also reinforced my stance that gaming with kids these days is pointless, you all suck

Echoing #1 & 2 here. My players occasionally went the optimized route, usually as a response to half the party going more roleplaying and characterization. The whole drama-llama-and-murderhobo pairing, which is why I never saw it as an issue.

On a related note, I never realized how nuch people cling to forms of stat generation. Some absolutely MUST be allowed point buy or they won't play, others are fine with hard D&D or DH2E straight rolling. It's been fascinating, and somewhat horrifying, to see what people with grognard over when it comes to the most basic function of character gen.

>sexism, racism, torture, rape, slavery, and/or prostitution
Ehh.. user those things still happen in the early modern period and onward, often on a massive scale because hay the industrial revolution has happened and you can oppress whole lands of people so far away that the morality of home isn't in effect.

So I have to wonder what the fuck you're talking about.

>and I'd much rather play in post-industrial settings now, to avoid hideous time periods overflowing with human misery.

Toppest kek. We're living in a time where nations will absolutely kill ten thousand babies just to make a point. The god of the OT ain't got shit on us.

If you're asking, then you haven't been here for long. Or your one of those faggots

yes
about a lot of things

Veeky Forums has altered my ideas about Veeky Forums. Here is what I have learned:
>98% of the stories they tell are outright fabrications
>the majority of Veeky Forums posters have shit taste in almost everything
>they're wrong about almost everything
>Veeky Forums is full of contrarian shitheads who don't actually believe what they type, and just want to argue for the sake of argument
>Veeky Forums projects turn out to be trash in the rare event that anything of substance is produced
>Veeky Forums does not, in fact, get shit done

That being said, it's still the least bad place on the internet to freely and openly discuss tabletop games. At least here I can call someone a faggot without worrying about getting banned, and I can disagree without worrying about an army of sycophants appearing to downvote me and shout me down.

>4)
Just tell those players to go eat shit instead of avoiding eras they "like"

>tg is free
>with all the shitness that freedom brings
Amen

>I hate furries even more now.
I could see some grandpa or redditor trying to fit in feeling this way about the whole of Veeky Forums, but Veeky Forums specifically? Outside of /pfg/ furries are almost a non-issue, and even then the kind of trash /pfg/ is more weebshit. In fact, I'd say Veeky Forums has definitely made my view of anime and manga overall much worse, especially since this very fucking thread consists almost entirely of anime reaction images and they're the types of posters who keep trying to make ERP/Smut threads.

Gotta take the good with the bad, my dude

>just tell them to go eat shit.
Oh man this.
With all the shit I cop, bro, feel ya.

>but Veeky Forums specifically?
It's honestly the whole "herpadarpadoo x is a cute!" childish permavirgin shit I just can't stand. Kobolds are the current fad, before that it was goblins and on and on. I mean, these fucking freaks sexualize everything; and it's not just in good fun, they get legit raging tumblrtriggered if you so much as say anything that contradicts their weird childish fetish
>ERP/smut threads
ERP is some of the most stupid cringe inducing shit. It's nothing more than fucking 90ies cybersex, but somehow even more fucking retarded

Oh hold on just a damn sec there

Honestly? It's made me ashamed that I can't stop being edgy. I just want to really, truly try to be a lawful good paladin once, but it doesn't ever work out that way. Either the setting is too morally gray or my own tendencies creep in.

Damnit Veeky Forums you make me want to be a good person, and that's pretty fucking sad coming from a Veeky Forums board

My group's a fucking godsend. Also that there's a whole community out there building content for the old-school style of game we run, that was a shock. It's all for old D&D rather than our d100 games but it's easy to convert.

That's pretty much true of Veeky Forums in general. The entire website is caught in this retarded spiral of kids trying to bait other kids when neither party has any real stake in the discussion at hand besides ruining it for the small group of people who actually give a shit about what's being discussed. As for shit not getting done, it starts with you. I've found that while Veeky Forums doesn't get grand, insane shit done often, it still manages to do a lot of little things like scanning books, drawthreads for characters, etc, with the occasional larger project once or twice a year that either never goes anywhere or just leaves the site because it's just easier to organize shit in a discord chat and to get away from the million and one "idea guys" who just want to make something they can ERP with.

... Not seeing it.
If there even is an it.

Just a shit pun.

>before Veeky Forums
Elves are only good for sticking your meat sword in
>after Veeky Forums
Elves are only good for sticking your metal sword in

Ok, that's a first.

The worst part is you're absolutely right.

Veeky Forums basically reinforces all the reasons i stoped playing

This, plus the fact that 90% of the posters here don't play traditional games. Helps me better identify when shitters are talking out their ass about games and really anything in general.

I'm better than I think and there is joy in the act of creation.

Veeky Forums has made me happier.

That lefties genuinely disgust me

I know how you feel user. I know how you feel. I fucking love how lolicons go "nuh uh, I'm not a pedophile if it's 2D!" Yes you are you fucking faggot. Your dick is getting hard at watching a child get fucked, even if it's 2D, which means you're a pedophile.

There's good reason to hate random rolling (as much as there's good reason to hate something in a game, anyway).

>tfw no steppe waifu

That 3.5e wasn't the best edition of D&D made.

Granted, this was when 3.5e was the current edition (and 4th was relatively new and everyone hated it), most people I knew exclusively played 3.5e and Pathfinder, but Veeky Forums showed me that it's not the perfect system and there's tons of other fun RPGs out there.

I now have a much wider variety in RPGs, and even though I'm a forever DM my roleplaying and gaming experience has greatly improved, thank you Veeky Forums

Up until 5e, it was though.

I guess I should have rephrased that; most people I knew said D&D was the best RPG ever made.

Basically, to the point where I now own D20 Modern, Gamma World 6e, and other 3.5e D20 games because everyone told me it's the best universal system that existed.

Veeky Forums is full of people with sticks up their asses, who goes out of their way to be upset with things they have no interest in, to the point of this place being bone dry of ideas. Its like fucking /v/.

no, not really.
Veeky Forums has generally shit ideas

My overall idea of classes and fantastic races was based entirely on the warcraft universe.

Since I found dnd things have changed for good.
now I can draw and project myself as an orc paladin without remorse.

>most people I knew said D&D was the best RPG ever made.

They're not wrong either. At a certain point, it largely becomes a matter of opinion.

Terrible players cannot change their ways. I used to think all they needed was some firm guidance.

A dozen failed subjects later, and I'm just here to laugh at all you losers who keep getting kicked out of groups, but don't have the honesty to self-reflect and realize you're the problem.

This. So much this.

The middle east is still medieval though

My trust in other gamers, frankly. Not as a joke or trying to be mean, but I used to assume other gamers at least half way knew what they were talking about when they referenced games, books, shows, rules, etc, and now I basically double-check everything everyone says because they end up being wrong like 70% of the time. Additionally, I used to think anyone on Veeky Forums was deep-in enough to have at least vaguely tempered tastes, and back in ~2005 this may have been true, but Veeky Forums's gotten so mainstream that it's literally become it's own memes, in both the traditional and contemporary sense of the word.
I basically just come here for news and funny pictures now. Most other game forums are too dedicated to a singular game or company to really be worth visiting on a daily basis.

True
And looking for them is absolutely not worth it.

I realize my life could be worse and that my gaming could be better.

Stop, it's overrated, and I'm 99% sure that majority of paladin stories circulating here are made the fuck up.

I am now tired enough of elf and dwarf memes that I will probably not include them in any of my future settings, even if I thought they were appropriate.

99% of every story on Veeky Forums is made up. I don't know why people act like this some revelation either; they're almost all obviously fake and either exaggerated to hell and back or completely fabricated by people who've never played RPGs to begin with. Personally I just appreciate the ones that are told well regardless of their authenticity though - Old Man Henderson is the fakest shit in existence but it's at least fucking hilarious.

I have learned that fun is wrong.

I don't even see such fodder

Well, it has made me quite willing to go outside my comfort zone when it comes to games and genres and it has, paradoxically, made me more open to steampunk.

You're forgetting the part where having wrong opinions gets you banned from other game forums.

I once got banned for having an animated avatar.

It's why I "like" Veeky Forums.
It has made me somewhat jaded, sure, and with a slight feeling of smug superiority towards others that I would not want to be a thing, but I'd never trade the years here away.

Cute girls in finely crafted traditional dresses don't tickle me at my dick, but at my very soul.

Same, it's a place where your posts are judged by their content instead of your registration date, avatar, post count, gigantic obnoxious signature, moderator buddy to ban anyone who disagrees, or legion of sycophants to shout down anyone who disagrees.

This is so true, it's one thing that will always make me see Veeky Forums as objectively purer than reddit, even though there's hardly anything actually pure about it, just the functionality.

-That people here are just as good and as bad as the bunch you find in the bus. But here I found people with similar interests.

-That I'm creative above average.

-I have an amazing GM.

Being judged by their content can just as readily mean "judged counter to some shitposter's tastes" and used as an excuse to turn the thread into wet shit.

There is good, but the bad here is fucking awful, since the format encourages inflammatory dick-waving from immature pricks.

I hate good and evil dichotomies more than I ever did.

I hate attempts at incorporating realism in games more than I ever did (aesthetic or mechanical).

I hate paladins. Utterly hate, as much as I can reasonably hate anything in a game.

The highs are high, but hoo boy, the lows are so low you can't even see the bottom.

>I hate attempts at incorporating realism
Realism or belivability?

I'll rather take that than a circlejerk and/or forced conformity.
Not that I want to be edgy or an instigator, I always post politely even anonymously, but goddamn if I'm not allowed to be critical about things there's something wrong in your discussion board.
The anarchy of Veeky Forums is just something you have to kind of learn into.

The former. Internal consistency is important, but there seems to be a core of gamers that conflates that with realism and I detest that.

>Tfw same but for good characters
Whenever my character does evil stuff in games I feel deeply ashamed and go out of my way to rectify it

Anyone who uses an anime character or fursona as character art, and anyone who uses a Kitsune, is cancer and should be shunned/mocked at all points.

Also Veeky Forums doesn't know how to play any tabletop games.

D&D is massively spooked.

Agreed.

I like it well enough to be here still, but I honestly stick around partially because I know that I'm enough of a dick-head that I'd sour any name I used long enough anywhere else.

Learned that I enjoy OSR style games a lot more than i enjoy 3.pf or 5e. Despite the clunkyish rules, the people and the sessions are just infinitely better.

>implying Stirner's work isn't the single most perfectly honest description of true neutral ever

Seriously "do as things please you, but don't feel compelled to fight authority and understand that being a dick-head is a dumb idea."

>I hate paladins. Utterly hate, as much as I can reasonably hate anything in a game.
Um, why? What's so terrible about paladins?

They attract disruptive, edgy little shits that think they aren't that because they're playing a paladin.

Also they're boring. Their entire concept us "they're good, like REALLY good" and that's fucking tedious.

Nah, the fun of being a paladin comes from struggling with the question of what, precisely, constitutes the moral action in a given situation, and the difficulties implicit in the drive to resolve conflicts without inflicting more suffering than you absolutely have to. It's hard, but on that rare day when you have the right insight and enough luck and somehow everyone lives— when you manage to avert the war, or get the villain to rethink his goals—it's worth it.

Of course, this doesn't really work when you have one or more murderous psychopaths in the party, which seems to be a pretty common state of affairs, so your mileage may vary.

There are some things that are incredibly crippling when it comes to rolling. A Wizard in one of my games has 27hp at level 6, nearly every encounter is fatal to him.

I very much agree with everything you said.

No. The moral premise behind the paladin is simplistic and lacks philosophical merit. Three Hearts and Three Lions was kinda dorky.

Why does every paladin fan wax poetic about how their class option is clearly something of depth and beauty when it's just another murder hobo option with an added layer of pretentious moralism?

The class is pure cringe.

>he believes the memes
I honestly feel bad for you

No I believe my own judgement and years of gaming experience.

Paladins are 100% grade A "I make her eat a bowl of eggs" cringe, and their primary purpose is to a more self righteous murder hobo (because that's what D&D is about.

The morality behind them has all the depths of a Saturday morning cartoon, and is primarily an arbitrary form of deontology, mixed with virtue ethics and consequentialism without sound basis for any.

That angel/demon campaigns suck donkey dick.

Veeky Forums made me realize D&D is a bad

I now actively spit in the eye of "realism" rather than give credence to the endless nitpicking over medieval minutiae.

Please add another ribbon to your six-foot-long anime sword. I love that shit.

Which one?
Because angel/demon campaigns can certainly be fun...

Vorefags are even worse than I initially thought. This also goes for any "tee-hee thinly veiled fetish thread!" poster. If you need to masturbate, go somewhere that's made for fetishposting. Hell, any thinly veiled thread, be it for anime, vidya, or whatever is trash.

Maybe some people play the stereotypical paladin you are railing against, but I have never seen it. The class is just a set of combat abilities with an alignment restriction, people will play it how they will.

They can basically go one of a few ways:

* Angels are good, demons are evil: Thanks for the biblical roleplay Augustine. Real original.

* Demons are good, angels are bad: How edgy. Everyone """"loves"""" a good anti-hero. Also a favorite of former Christians who were """"oppressed"""" as children.

* Everyone is evil: CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES THIS IS MY LAST RESORT. (also, what fun in there in knowing you're in a lose-lose scenario? Save the moral lecturing for another hobby).

Bonus option: Everyone is good: No fighting, everyone gets along. Harmony is achieved, the party becomes one with the universe and transcends to a higher plane of being.

That's not a problem with paladins. That's a problem with shitty players, like the ones you seem to attract since you're complaining about them. Like attracts like, shit attracts shit.