GURPS General /gurpsgen/

Can't upload PDFs from iPhone edition.

Let's talk about the greatest role playing game of all time.

With Starfinder just out, how do you do space combat in your games?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdMehAQ
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148&postcount=21
sjgames.com/dungeonfantasy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MEGA Archive
mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdMehAQ

If someone can upload the full PDF, please do, otherwise I'll do it when I get home.

>Can't upload PDFs from iPhone
Mother of God, how do you function?

I've never had an issue with it until now - i usually use Dropbox...

>Phone is modern enough to use dropbox
>Isn't functional enough to upload pdf
Are you using winphone?

Repostan for the new general
Grimwyrd!
Some kind of session!

>party is in the dorf vault, Bomrek and Suthri now bonded with elemental crystal
>Syviis and Gray can see they are now 110% dorf
>they discover the last remains of a final paladin of the old empire, seal him away with his dying crystal, and head upstairs
>the spirits are restless and something evil this way comes
>they plunge through the crumbling keep, a dirgesong in the air, coming from the evil of the place
>they round the hall, find the great evil thing, an altar to a dark god
>within a ring of blue flame, the avatar of a six armed prince of darkness and fury
>below him, a priestess: red horned and satyr legged, shes intoning his name in a dolorous tone
>ROD RECOGNIZES HER!
>Holy shit the Fae that sent him on his quest!
>You!
>YOU
>Gray the beastman steps forward, readying the shield and looking to the woman with a low snarl. "This won't be permitted!"
>The woman: "Permitted? You fool, HE is the one who permits you to live!" She raises her hands above her head "HE is mightier than even the Lords of the FAE!"
>Suthri plants one in the effigy's skull
>IT AWAKES

>kmnock fdown brawl occurs
>Syviis disables the priestess
>suthri and bomrek shoot the statue
>rod defends the back line
>GRAY CHARGES
>IT SMASHES HIM
>THEY FIRE THE CANNON!
>GRAY HITS HIM WITH HIS OGRE BLADE
>GREEN FIRE
>SCREAMING
ROD INVOKES THE FAE AND A WHIRLWIND THROWS HIM INTO PLACE TO LAND A DECAPITATING BLOW ON THE SATYR WOMAN!

>the effigy is defeated
>the demon released
>Gray goes about hewing the evil sign from the earth

The party now should do a bit of an audit, and I should get some new character sheets from them, cuz man there have been some weird abilities that need writing out...

Sounds like a fun session! Always good to have someone enthusiastic in these generals

I just use the GURPS starships rules TBQH SENPAI

So was she always on the side of the dark here or did she flip sides from fae to dark? Or was that thing some kind of fae?

Next week: We Will Roc you.

I know GURPS is a toolbox and all rules are optional, but what supplements would you recommend for interesting fantasy combat. I'm thinking Basic Set + Martial arts is all that's needed, but sell me on anything else.

Powers, one of the Magic systems are also pretty good to add.

The abilities in Power-Ups 1: Imbuements fit in with a lot of fantasy settings.

Depends on how FANTASY you want to get. Power-Ups 1: Imbuements is a great way to do magical knights/mystic archers/extreme Kung-Fu. Fantasy itself is a good read for setting-building. Powers holds a few new advantages and modifiers that you may need when creating weird magical effects or terrifying monsters. Low-Tech is good if you want to get autistic with gear, and Low-Tech Companion 2 has a chapter dedicated to weapon modification and resizing (colossal greatswords are go).

For the setting, think Eberron crossed with WoW. Those are some good suggestions, thanks. I think I'll grab Powers at least.

What's the best spell for magical power?

I think the heat spell is the best I'm able to find, any others?

Depends on the magic system you're using. In Magic, it is a tie between Create Food and Create Water.

For RPM would it be ok for me to allow a super value ER?

How high would you have it cost 300%, 400%?

Eh, Create Fuel and Essential Fuel in GURPS Magic are likely your best bet.

5 EP creates a pound of coal. That's 3 thermal kilowatt/hours per 5 energy.

Then Essential Fuel enhances fuel by a factor of ten for 1 EP per pound.

So if you have a supply of coal you can turn 1 EP into 27 kilowatt hours of thermal energy, or if you need to start from rocks/dirt you get 6 FP per 30.

The Heat spell can't come close to 97.2 megajoules per EP, or the 18 you get if you need to use Create Fuel.

What kind of advantages and disadvantages does an FBI agent need? I assume Duty, some sort of rank and status, and 5 point legal immunity?

Directly powering things with Lend Power is best reserved for emergencies, as you get 0.1 kilowatt hour per EP unless the GM has moved the conversion ratio.

Legal Enforcement Powers. They don't need Legal Immunity, they play by the same rules as everyone else.

Patron, Contacts, and Rank depending on how far up the hierarchy you are. I don't think legal immunity is necessary since you are still subject to the law.

Any beat cops hassling you should be sufficiently cowed by your Rank.

Create fuel and essential fuel are really scary

For example, what if you are TL 12^. You just create antimatter that burns 10 times as much

That's scary

At TL 7 you can use it to make uranium. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be low or high enriched fuel.

I'd note that it doesn't effect how much it works for anything but powering machines, and it doesn't make it 10x as HOT, it makes it work 10x as LONG, something that keeps it from being quite terrifying. A 2mg fullerene antimatter matrix won't have 10x yield if you crack it as an explosive.

Yea but think about this

Antimatter is 100% conversion, enriched antimatter is 1000% conversion.

1 gram of antimatter would give 898,775,179 MJ's of power

That's scary

Technically antimatter is 200%. One antiparticle + one freely available conventional particle provides energy equal to their mass times the speed of light squared.

Turning 1 EP into energy enough to power modern Earth for a year would be a neat trick though. (10x energy for a POUND of antimatter is.. a lot of energy).

Screw it

Next no limits game I'm playing a TL 12^ mage

And we aren't even talking about how scary being able to just transmute stuff into animatter is(see micro antimatter warheads in UT 157, please note that these are in micrograms)

Heck if you have it at 15+ it's free

Converting antimatter without a proper container is a violation of your rental agreement. You will be resurrected in order for someone to arrest you for the irresponsible use of magic.

Please note that the spell is regular, which makes it able to transmute things at range.

Which means you can do it in a proper container.

Or make your opponents weapon into antimatter, which is the best party trick

What Complexity is a modern smartphone?

Pick a smartphone model.
Find the cost it sells for.
Compare to inventing section to find out for yourself.

Per page 472 a 2004 desktop computer is Complexity 2 to 3. A typical 2004 computer was a single core 2 gigahertz processor, roughly comparable (funny enough) to a lower end smart phone in 2017, though in truth the quad core SOC chips are more capable.

I mean Complexity as in the computer stats from High-Tech, not for inventions. I'm asking because the fastest one you can get RAW at TL8 is Complexity 2, but that would mean that it can't run any programs that grant a skill bonus, which doesn't seem right.

That's because we're closer to TL9 than 8 at this point. Just use TL9 rules for consumer electronics.

Not until I get my gyrojet pistol

Would you guys recommend a module/adventure to run as a newbie DM?

I suggest you keep it simple.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon is pretty much the best and, er, almost only choice.

Once you've done that however you should have lots of tools to build your own adventures.

I suggest TL 3 with the players picking between 125 point characters then customizing them with another 25 points. This lets them have 'their' character, but keeps them from having to go though everything. It also means even if they pick something stupid with their points the Hunter, Knight, Woosdman or Witch is still going to know their shit and be effective int he adventure.

Then give them a simple adventure, maybe rescuing a kidnapped person from a gang of bandits occupying an abandoned monsitary.

Is there some kind of recommended skill thing? I don't know what skills would be considered essential for campaigns in different time periods.

Housekeeping=Adulting.
Don't forget Driving skills if your TL6 or above, and Survival for lower TLs.

There's a Skill Categories PDF from SJGames, and there is also a tech level guide on B512, which should help you figure out what skills are needed when.

So did the Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter ever ship? I'm asking because before I couldn't swing the $50+shipping but I am in a position where I could if people can still jump in on it. Or can I expect to see physical copies of the base box in my local comic shop?

forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148&postcount=21

Here's a pretty solid list, with the reasons why, from a trusted GURPS developer.

My suggestions...

Observation. This is your catch all "see things that are important or people trying to ambush you" skill. It's cheaper to buy up then Perception.

First Aid. If you don't have well distrubited magic healing in the group.

A grappling skill. Wrestling or Judo. Something for if you get grabbed is quite important.

Acrobatics. Even if you only put 1 point in it's a chance to attempt a soft landing or to parkour yourself somewhere.

Stealth, because sooner or later you will want to be able to hide in the dark and avoid detection.

Swimming, because you might get dumped in the water sooner or later.

Knife, because it's easy and shanking a bitch might be needed.

It's in production, but just about ready to go. When it's available to buy you can get it at sjgames.com/dungeonfantasy/

Thanks.

Is GURPS good for an urban fantasy type game, like Mage: the Buzzword without the totally gay mechanics?

Yeah, you can probably run that with High Tech, borrowing from Dungeon Fantasy, and Monster Hunters.

GURPS Monster Hunters is what you want. It's pretty damn good, and has the best magic system in GURPS.

I actually haven't looked at Monster Hunters. Does it convert well to fantasy?

1) GURPS everything converts really well with each other as it's all built on the same base (one of the enormous reasons to use it) and 2) It's basically already fantasy. It's got paladins, wizards, vampires, demons, and werewolves. You can throw in elves and dwarves too without having to change anything. Thaumatology - Urban Magics will probably be a good read for you, too.

It's an urban fantasy game to begin with, the Witch and Psi characters are especially powerful and direct users of supernatural power, but several templates offer some level of magical power.

You can also play as angels, deamons, lycanthropes, vampires or strange and powerful experiments that can range from human super-soldiers made with werewolf blood to advance refinements on Frankenstein's Adam.

Thanks.

I am converting my 5E game to GURPS, and I'm trying to find the best equivalent of this ability

"You have advantage to track any fey, fiends, or undead." I assume that's probably best done by giving them a sense Fae/sense Undead spell from the Monster Hunter pdf.

There are a variety of ways you can do that, depending on how you want to approach it. Could be a Higher Purpose (Hunting Supernatural Beings), some limited form of Destiny or Luck, or just Hidden Lore (Fey/Fiends/Undead). Probably other ways, too, but those are some ideas. Sense Mind using Path of Spirit or Path of Undead can also work, but that's using magical spells instead of being lucky or having the knowledge yourself. Depends on how you want to represent it.

You can also consider a Detect advantage with whatever modifiers you feel are appropriate (probably Vague or Hypersensory, if you want to keep the cost down).

I have always liked to use an ally for thiis kind of thing, a support NPC that can sense/knows about the monsters and can put the players on the right trail. This allows them to find things to fight and it's as reliable as you need it to be at any time. The NPC filter also means that it's much easier for you to have the power be unavalable when it needs to be for the plot and lets you filter the information though the perspective of an NPC, rather then them getting objective data from their own senses.

>"You have advantage to track any fey, fiends, or undead."
Please don't tell me you actually think feats have any sort of value in any game. Just let players spend their points and put them into being good at tracking in the first place. If you want a special ability that lets you track creatures, detect, higher purpose, a spell, are all good choices, but if it's merely 'you're really good at this thing', I suggest you purge DnD from your system ASAP. A higher than normal skill level, in GURPS terms, is the occam's razor in this situation, don't spoil it by trying to port DnD's worst mechanic ever into other games.

>Please don't tell me you actually think feats have any sort of value in any game.
What? What do you have against specialized class features in a class based RPG?

The 'feat' mechanic is bad for the RPG it is in, modeling one's expectations of other games' on it is misguided. Feats are not a good mechanic in DnD, if it is possible for them to be implemented correctly, nobody has yet, to my knowledge.

How are feats bad? They are the only thing that differentiates fightman #1 from fightman #2 mechanically if they took the same class and subclass.
Also, what the person converting their game is asking about is a mainline class ability, and there is literally nothing wrong with different classes being good at different things.

>and there is literally nothing wrong with different classes being good at different things.
Strawmanning me something fierce, user. Criticizing the specific is not criticizing the general. Less fallacies, please.

>They are the only thing that differentiates fightman #1 from fightman #2 mechanically if they took the same class and subclass.
Yes... Yes, this is exactly my complaint. Note, it would not be a problem if it was a good mechanic.

>How are feats bad?
I will devote no further posts about DnD on a GURPS general, you could (should, actually) make an entire thread about this.

Hey user - thanks for your thoughts. I don't think feats per se have any value. I know that the best way of transferring it over is to just make them good at that particular thing (this is a class feature not a "feat").

I know giving them a good skill level will work, they are just exceptionally good at tracking monsters in any form and maybe not as good at tracking anything else like say humans. If there's a way to take above average tracking + bonus for 'evil'/monsters then that's all I want.
For shits and giggles I present to you my group plus thoughts on what I should add. They are level 7, so I'm thinking 250 pts.

Dwarf Life Cleric:
This is pretty straightforward honestly. I am going to wholesale just lift this from Dungeon Fantasy. I might add some stuff from divine favor supplement for his prayers.

Half-Orc Barbarian:
Again, pretty vanilla. I'll wholesale lift this from Dungeon Fantasy as well.

Human Monster Hunter (Battlemaster Fighter with a tiny bit of homebrew):
This is the guy I wanted the tracking ability for. He uses hand axes that he sometimes throws and fights with one in each hand. I'm thinking a mix of Martial Arts and Dungeon Fantasy will work pretty well here. I'm just wavering on how to give him his occult abilities - he can track 'evil' creatures, and perform basic rituals. I think the Monster Hunter supplements for detect will work pretty well.

Half-Elf Warlock of the Tome
Ritual Path Magic plus Powers will serve me pretty well here desu. He has an at will spell he can spam which I'll easily be able to convert with the Powers supplement.

Half-Elf Kensai
She's a bounty hunter, so I'll probably take some Scout archetype from Dungeon Fantasy.

Human Ranger w/ Newborn Dragon as pet
Spattering of nature magic, spattering of bow skills, an ally.

Gnome Swashbuckler
This guy is pretty steampunk, so I'm thinking of buying increased TL items for him to let him create mechanical/steampowered contraptions for himself.

>Ritual Path Magic plus Powers will serve me pretty well here desu. He has an at will spell he can spam which I'll easily be able to convert with the Powers supplement.

I'd suggest checking out the Thaumatology: Sorcery supplement as well. It even has a Dungeon Fantasy template in the Pyramid 3-82.

>Gnome Swashbuckler
>This guy is pretty steampunk, so I'm thinking of buying increased TL items for him to let him create mechanical/steampowered contraptions for himself.

There's an Artificer template in Dungeon Fantasy 4, I believe, which might provide some useful information? I haven't used it, but that feels like the sort of thing it's supposed to be for.

Thanks. I'm quite new to this so I'm trying to keep myself limited in terms of books, but I'll check those out.

>I know giving them a good skill level will work, they are just exceptionally good at tracking monsters in any form and maybe not as good at tracking anything else like say humans. If there's a way to take above average tracking + bonus for 'evil'/monsters then that's all I want.

Either Higher Purpose (Monster Hunting) if you're willing to give him bonuses to other stuff when fighting monsters, or an optional specialization on the Tracking skill, which reduces the difficulty by 1, but gives a -2 penalty when using it for things other than monsters.

Higher Purpose sounds exactly what I need. Thanks.

Let me ask this again.

Would it be strange to let my players take a Supervalue ER?

How much would you make it cost +300%, +400%?

I personally would not because ER and FP are usually just there to act as limits to other actual abilities. If the PCs can cheaply increase those limits to the point of irrelevancy, why bother with them at all? Like, why go through the effort of having the PC's energy blast cost 2 FP if you're going to make 2 FP not mean anything.

Hey GURPSGEN. I have 15 points available for this character and I can't figure out what I should buy. The GM said that I may take Resistant for evil magic so I will likely take that but otherwise have no thoughts.

Grab Observation, Stealth, and Driving (Carriage) at least. Search or Scrounging wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thank you. Observation and Stealth are interesting ideas and I really like the idea of carriage driving. It makes me imagine fights between carriages or a carriage being attacked by monsters.

Just glad I could help. Wish more people would give GURPS a try instead of subscribing to the autism meme.

Anyone else notice the predeliction to German games for gurps, either in setting or playerbase sourced?

Weird foible, but I noticed it.

Nope. I usually see a bunch of Brazilians and Russians. Only seen one German.

I've noticed that. Personally I'm a little crazy about the Viking age and northern crusades, so it is all good for me. It's also a modest amount of cross-pollination from Warhammer Fantasy where it's not-Germany surrounded by vampire monsters from not-Hungry and pagan supermen from not-Scandinavian with not-Frenchmen worshiping elf chicks and cups.

Combat Class D Prosthetic Body [388]

This is the entrly level of security prosthetic bodies, utilized by police and corporations. Functionally, it possesses enhanced functions similar to but also slightly above the benifits of the augmentation grade cybernetic modifications utilized by a partial cyborg. In addition the prosthetic body, naturally, also possess the durability, armor, and other advantages uniqe to machines.
Attribute Modifiers: ST+3 [30]; DX+2 [40]; HT +2 [20]

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP +7 [14]; Per +2 [10].

Advantages: Absolute Direction (Requires Signal, -20%) [4]; Absolute Timing (Requires Signal,

-20%) [1]; Arm ST+3 (two arms) [15]; Armor Reinforcements {DR 5 (Skull only, -70%) [18]; DR 10 (Torso only, -10%) [45]; DR 2 (Arms only, -20%) [8]; DR 3(Legs only, -20%) [12]} [83]; Basic

Move +2 [10]; Discriminatory Hearing [15]; Doesn't Breath (Oxygen Storage x50, -40%) [12]; DR

3 (Ablative, -80%) [3]; DR 5 [25]; High Pain Threashold [10]; Enhanced Tracking 1 [5]; Extra

Attack 1 [25]; Machine (Total Cyborg) [25]; Nictitating Membrane [2]; Night Vision 2 [2]; Perfect

Balanace [15]; Proteted Senses (Hearing and Vision) [10]; Super Jump 2 [20]; Telecommunication

(Cable Jack; Sensie, +80%; Seure, +20%) [10]; Telecommunication (Radio; Sensie, +80%; Secure,

+20%) [20]; Telescopic Vision 1 [5].

Perks: Accessories (Onboard Offline Prosthetic Body Operation computer, prosthetic body type biomonitor, IFF Transponders) [3].

Disadvantages: Electrical [-20]; Maintenance (One Person, weekly) [-5]; Restricted Diet (Very Common, Nutrients and Power cells) [-20].

Feature: Cyborg Brain [0]; Realistic Flesh [-1].

ive never played gurps, but im reading this rules section and im impressed with how fleshed out everything is.
everything has rules, and the rules all interact well.
proofreading this makes me want to play it.

It's my favorite system thus far. Only problem is finding a group that'll play it. Thankfully the folks I hang around all love GURPS too.

I've had luck offering to run weird crossover/genre-blending games that would be difficult to run in other systems.

ive gotten peeps interested by showing them the chandelier swinging table in swashbucklers and explaining that anything from any of the books can be used with any of the others.
proofreading?

Inventing
In the world of Girl Genius, every major breakthrough had a Spark of some sort
behind it. See Inventing Without a Net (p. 00) for rules and details.
Optionally, the GM may allow non-Sparks to create new inventions. If so, treat a non-
Spark as having Spark 1, but increase the Complexity of the device being created by one
step: Simple becomes Average, Average becomes Complex, Complex becomes Amazing,
and Amazing things are simply off-limits – some things must remain the province of
Sparks, sorry!

How does one cost an innate attack as a equipment?

Is there a guide?

A ratio of points to Gurps buck?

Simple version: give the innate Attack the appropriate gadget limitations. Look at your (or the gadget's normal) TL and figure out the ratio of points:cash for that TL (see "Trading Points for Money" on page 26 of Characters). Give the gadget a cash cost equal to the amount of cash you would get if you spent those points on cash directly. Voilà. For example, at TL 8, each point gives you $2k; thus, a gadget that costs five points would be roughly worth $10k.

More detailed: Read the Weird Science issue of Pyramid. Two articles in that issue--Daughter of Necessity and Metatronic Generators--approach turning abilities into gear.

Da Rules do say not to buy stuff with points that you could buy with cash. You can't just get DR, for example, without some other justification, and you can't just get an Innate Attack gun instead of buying a pistol in most games.

That said, these rules come down to the GM.

Pretty fragile there. Better then nothing, but it seems like it would only take one shot to wreck this golem.

Even the brain case can't take much abuse.

I would pick up more combat skills before anything else. You are a comparative novice with the one weapon you know how to use and you could really use a backup like a knife. You should also really, really learn to wrestle now, rather then after someone grapples you and teaches you why you want to know how to wrestle.

Yeah I think GURPS's lethal tendencies really lends it to not!WHF games, and those lean towards German in naming conventions if nothing else.

I want an albino race who are blinded and startled by bright lights. How would I stat this up in their metatrait?

Should i say to player he retard and should leave my game, coz he whine in need for RPM, and then first thing he try to cast was abuse about that hole giving innate attack and disadvantages?
Game actually was purposely with offscreen magic for NPCs, where all magic was in fact as goods on black market

Blindness:(mitigator, low light conditions)

That's too frequent, I want them to be easily dazzled by changes in brightness, lights shone in the face etc, not constantly blind in daylight.

Daylight IS bright light. This is exactly what you wanted according to what you're asking for.

It may not be what you have in mind, but it's what you're asking for given logic and your word choices.

If you only want sudden changes in light to affect them and not bright light itself? Go for combat paralysis with a light limitation.

That tends to blind people already, albeit rarely and very temporarily. Maybe use the rules for bright lights, night vision (not the advantage), and such from Enhanced Senses and Tactical Shooting, but give the chosen race Susceptibility to it, giving them a sizable penalty to HT rolls to avoid being blinded.

Bad Sight (Nearsighted) [25] with Only when first exposed to bright light (-50%) and duration (1 minute) (-30%)

So it's a 5 point disadvantage. Exposed to bright light they are near-sighted for 1 minute as their eyes adjust.

I've never played gurps before, I want to play a literal megumin anime insert, but my DM says the concept would be bad and my character would just die. Someone help me. I have no idea how to make a character.

Attempt for >>>/pfg/

Note that all the Armor Reinforcement values are in addition to the base 5 DR.

The idea was for it is but one level removed for civilian scale prosthetic bodies--which themselves are essentially the androids used by civilians with further modifications to support & interface a brain case. One thing that changes up to Class A is use of more durable materials and armor. Class D combat bodies also look entirely human unless their artificial skin is removed or scanned with the proper gear. Whereas the body looks more robotic along each higher class.

Also, these cyborgs are expected to gear up in armor like normal & lesser augmented, people.

In GURPS, having one eye gives you some serious penalties. Your GM isn't wrong.

What penalties does 1 eye give you?

Also the slut only can do >EXXRPOOISSION XDDD (Aka yuge nuke that costs too much fatigue and you pass out)

Megumin is a gag character who survives entirely based on writer fiat. She has a single spell she can cast that takes 10+ seconds to prepare (in a game with 1 second combat turns) which disables her completely for an extended period of time after use and would be self destructive in most situations. Shes also a 13 year old girl with no other skills of any kind.

She'd die the first time combat happened without doing anything and would have no out of combat utility. You should not play Megumin.

On one hand, your GM is absolutely right. On the other hand, being a terribly unoptimized piece of shit is the entire point of Megumin.

Jokes aside though, what your GM says goes. If a 8 0 P O I N T S I N E X P L O S I V E F I R E B A L L is inappropriate for the game, it's inappropriate for the game. No difference between the GM nixing that and nixing Brick "Space Patrolman" Rodgers for a low-fantasy game.