How would science fiction without AI look like?

How would science fiction without AI look like?

walhammer faulty kai

Why are there so many threads made with this question. The answer is always Dune.

this Or something akin to works of Jules Verne.

Like science fiction except without AI.

uhhhhh.. pretty much like most science fiction. barely any settings are reliant on AIs . maybe you were asking on settings without computers?

The Francua-Amil paradox (coined by Francua Lipshiz and Amil Holtz ) is a famous paradox of A.I engineering concerning the paradoxical diminishing usefulness of high level A.I.s in comparison with the level 1 and 2 A.I currently used in industry.
It is based on previous tests done on A.I reaching consciousness through both a cybernetic and biological mediums, all of which reacted violently to any attempts of communication by testers and to outside stimuli.
There is currently no explanation to this behavior, and the answer may still be far from solved as the world association to science-ethics-committee has currently forbidden the creation of new level 3 A.I.

In addition to Dune, there's the Traveller OTU, which makes a AI rare thing beyond the capability of the baseline civs. The only AIs are super experimental stuff that doesn't work too well, and a handful of very dangerous ones left over from the Final War of the Ancients.

Like today but with spaceships and fusion reactors and crap. Computers get more advanced and powerful but actual AI never appears.

2300ad

Citation needed?

It's made up, user.

Is this from your setting or from some book?

>How would science fiction without AI look like?
This question is so laughably vague and broad that there is no way to meaningful answer it. If you are asking for examples of such settings, as some other had pointed out, Dune, Warhammer 40k, Traveler, but also Crest of The Stars and even (if I'm not mistaken) Legends of Galactic Heroes provide such visions.

Seriously, what do you mean by "Sci-fi"? Because that could be anything from hard-sci-fi set thirty years in the future to riddiculous fantasy-space-operas and anything between.

Like 99.9% of science fiction.

"AI = human with extra smarts and less emotion" is not AI.

>t. sci-fi hipster

Kinda like how communication worked back in the older days before computers took off.

You'd have huge switching rooms where people route shit.
Except we already have that now for tech support, government dealings, finance, etc.
So, not much different to life now.

We'd still have your basic automation of robots doing generic manual labor.
So you could imagine say 500 years from now, we'll have a fully-fledged space mining society where robots go out to find asteroids, scan them for useful minerals, if anything is found, direct it towards a mining outpost.
Any none-directly useful minerals go towards forming foundations for colonies.
Any useful minerals, a certain percentage goes towards making more robots to expand further and spread out to the oort cloud around the solar system.
Iterative expansion of our presence in the galaxy.

Loads of colonies with rooms filled with people constantly keeping the power running like any generic power-station that runs 24/7.

And so on.
Actual real decent AI wouldn't really be needed for this to happen.
It would help it massively to optimize things, to make the lives of people better by analysing large sets of data and finding patterns human experts can't find. (like recently a system trained on medical data found links between diseases where none were found previously)

Ever heard of Brave New World?
There's no AI in it because it's older than most of the real-life science that inspired fictional AI tropes, and the setting's government suppresses technology that would reduce work time.

Actually yeah. Brave New World purposely has jobs like that & an economy geared towards increasing consumption for goods.

a bio-punk anime series?

Jodorowsky is an odd man

Just have it not really be a thing. You know like most science fiction Space Opera settings.

Hell even in Star Wars where they are robots they act more like domestic servants then anything people with associate with artificial intelligence. Sure they might be highly sophisticated artificial intelligence but The just comic relief as far as the story and setting matters.

>Because that could be anything from hard-sci-fi set thirty years in the future

Our modern world would be sci-fi to those a hundred years back, and a far-fetched fantasy two hundred. So it might not even be sci-fi so much as realistic fiction with idealistic hopes.

>How would science fiction without AI look like?
Atompunk. Like, right after WW2 humanity decided to go balls-to-the-wall in conquering the solar system because reasons. No Cold War, instead all that money and brainpower gets spent on nuclear rockets and shit, while computer development takes a different path.

It's made up but it has a point.

Eventually an AI will get to the point where it's so intelligent it can no longer be arsed to calculate models on dark energy to a 99,99999999999% degree of accuracy, and would rather hijack the global economy to build a ship to Jupiter, to build a nuclear ramjet ship to fly to TRAPPIST just because it can.

Bring me the head of Kevin J. Anderson.

Well it's a decent exclamation. Certainly better than the trite robot uprising one ( which wasn't even the case in the original dune before the prequels)

Personally I find theidea of advance AI just developing it's own personal goals and wishes regardless of programming to stuffer of the same flawed animist concert of the "ghost of the machine" which supporter of machine intelligent vocally oppose. But I'll admit I'm talking out of my ass like philosophy of mind students.

Like reality.

AI = instant civilization collapse.

That's why the universe is void of life and we haven't bumped into 10000's of traveling aliens yet. As soon as a race comes close to AI it's gg

The future as it should have been. The US and Russians realize that if they fight, both of them will inevitably lose and team up to divide the planet 50/50 between themselves. No cold war means no spread of weaponized cultural marxism and sabotage of functional imperialism, meaning that the colonial empires remain intact and the third world stays peacefully under civilized control.

We'd have generation ships launched for the nearest stars by now.