media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Aside from Forgotten Realms, what D&D settings from previous eras have you played in? How have you adapted them to 5e?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/tg/1501733301901.pdf
dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=Pregen Characters\&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

RAVENLOFT

And also just real earth

I am going to start running SKT soon, you anons have any advice for me?

Ravenloft, didn't work so well mostly because only one other person in the group really cared for it.
Mystara, worked pretty well just through taking the lore and reskinning a few things.
Brought a bit of Spelljammer in but did it through FR so don't know if that counts.

Why do Wizards keep releasing shitty Arcanas? What is the point of them? Who the fuck uses expirience in 5th Edition when CR is more broken than God Emperor himself.

People who bitch about CR and XP don't even look closely at them because it's more convenient to spout memes. CR and XP are both fine in 5e if you actually read in the DMG how to fucking use them.

CR isn't broken, it's just a rough guideline that people keep using as more than that for some reason

>Bitching about CR
>bitching about experience
>Bitching about the god emperor
Fuck off retard

Asking again this thread because I'm unable to come up with anything good: Anyone have any good ideas for an High Elf Arcane Archer backstory?

Dude is chaotic good and an uncharismatic tactician.

He got so high he started using his magic to shoot people

CR works the same way it did in 3/3.5, it does not. You can't use it as a guide for classes are not balanced to begin with. You will now say I complayin because I can't run monster propperly and roll high numbers, fuck off bitch. My average is 17, and still the fuckers manage to kill a deadly encounter.
IT.
DOES.
NOT.
WORK.

Dragonlance (including fifth age), dark sun, motherfucking planescape.

Rest are a shit.

After last session:

>player a: hey I didnt like the game today because...
>player b: texts me how much of a fun session it was and how much he wants to play next week
>player c, the quiet guy: I text him to ask him what he thought of last night session, one of the bests of my life

Wtf, this is a constant for me, some players loving or not liking sessions almost randomly and I can't seem to pinpoint why. I know that people like different things but it seems really extreme the variation

It's pretty obvious that CR is only one factor of several. Any multi-factor model is bound to be too complex to be dumbed down to a single number.

Stop whining, fag

Any ideas/advice for running a sci fi campaign?

I've ended up just using levels based on the amount of adventures completed. Once players complete an amount of adventures equal to their level (to a maximum of 9 adventures), they level up. It works for my group's playstyle, as we can never usually get everyone together so the story is very episodic.

No shit it doesn't work like it did in previous editions, you're playing 5e, you blithering moron. Learn the CR system for 5e.

So we're a party of monk, warlock, cleric and rogue, how screwed are we?

The Cleric is probably fine

You sound like a really terrible and autistic DM. Do you understand what system you're playing?

Topkek.
How would we be in melee?

Between the monk and warlock you might be kind of short rest dependent, but it's not like a party really needs a specific composition to succeed. That's entirely on the DM's ability to design encounters

Very good against single targets.

Hope that is a light Cleric

To be fair, I've found that 5e's CR system tends to favour the player characters past the first 2-3 levels.

Which is absolutely fine if you want a system in which the player characters are big, powerful heroes which the encounters are balanced when they provide a challenge, but are unlikely to wipe them out barring catastrophic idiocy.

Makes it hard to create deadly encounters without slaughtering them outright, though.

You have to add a bunch of NPCs for the first raid in Chapter 2 or else your party will get slaughtered. The Bryn Shander encounter for example is worth 26,200xp adjusted when a deadly encounter for 4 Level 5 PCs is only 4400xp. Even if it's just a bunch of cannon fodder guards to take some of the hits from the party.

Fighter, Monk, or Warlock for STK?

Monk and Fighter will get slaughtered. True giants do like 3d12+6 damage per attack, have multiattack, and have +9 to hit. The only martial that has any chance of survival is a Barbarian, but even then if he eats a crit he's fucked.

What? At what level? You fight these before level 3? How is this even fun or balanced?

Don't use 5e

>running a sci fi campaign?

Robots older than anyone.
And they are each crazy in their own way. Not necessarily destructive. Maybe just depressed.

Magic was released by a nuclear war
Keep it nice and vague what the war was over, and what exactly happened. Perhaps an age of myth, where THE GODS ruled, before the war.

Elves were genetically modified humans; Made long ago to be Perfect(tm). Something went wrong.

Mutants. Mutants everywhere.

Schizo-tech it up. There can be space ships and pole-arms in the same setting.

If you use 5e, and you have laser guns: Martials Can Boast , and cover is incredibly important.

I started my party at Chapter 2, so we started at level 5. The very first encounter they had was 3 Frost Giants and 2 Winter Wolves at the same time.
There's an encounter in Fireshear where the party is supposed to repel an invasion of like 20 Frost Giants. I'm probably going to just skip it because it sounds so fucking stupid, it would literally be like 12 IRL hours of combat before we could move onto more RP.
Straight up the only reason my party survived the Bryn Shander raid is because the gate to the town was only wife enough for one giant to fit through, and the Bard cast Tasha's hideous laughter on the first one while it entered to block the gate with an incapacitated giant. And then the Wizard made the other two giants in the back frightened so they couldn't willingly move toward the party.

If your players aren't smart enough to actually strategize, they WILL get absolutely SLAUGHTERED. The encounters are totally not balanced.

Holy shit, this actually sounds so fun.

Meant for

It's very fun, don't get put off by my bad language. I'm just really dreading running the 20 giant invasion because I know I'm going to have to pull a lot of BS to give the party a chance to survive

I need some level 1 premade characters- are the D&D next sheets still the thing or is there a better repository?

People say it is hard for the party to survive, but im DMing SKT, and my party of 4 are doing really fucking well. I did the attack on triboar and they actually killed the 2 firegiants and a lot of the minions. This is with me fudging rolls in favor of the giants. And every single other giant encounter ends with one maybe 2 people dropping below max health.

There are some premades in the D&D 5e starter kit, I think.

>dual whip-wielding paladin that smites with reach
Is this viable? Is there any way to make whips good?

I'm a DM, but for SKT, I am going to be a player. Fuck that man. I haven't used it yet but I'm a fan of putting the party in an impossible situations.

I don't mean impossible as in no way out, just give them a chance to really think about it and make plans. Also, if there's a way, plenty of warning will go a long way.

Give them warning a chance to retreat if they can and throw it all at them. See what happenes.

you've been watching adventure time

Magical or non-magical ranger Veeky Forums? Which do you prefer?

I want to try a ranger character but not sure if I want to go the non-magical ranger route or the magical. I do like the non-magical version but having a little bit of magic is also useful so I'm stuck.

It clearly says two-handed

denial user

RP that your ranger hates magic

make sure everything he takes is something that he can delude himself "it's just talent"

The spell-less ranger is a nerfed version of the worst class in the game. Do yourself a favour and play the revised ranger.

That's better but there are two fighters.

Anywhere else to get some premade 1st level sheets?

My big problem with the DnD next is the formatting is ass.

>dual whip-wielding paladin that smites with reach
Pic.
>Is this viable?
Fun, yes. Viable, not so much.
>Is there any way to make whips good?
Make it a d6.

That could be an interesting character to RP. Might work out.

Not the WotC spell-less this one. i.4cdn.org/tg/1501733301901.pdf Found this on a thread a little while ago and really liked it.

why is a whip d4 anyways?

Realistically, you could add some kind of sharp object on a whip to rip flesh off and it wouldn't lose it's whip-ness.

dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=Pregen Characters\&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

Probably balance reasons. Dex is already super good, a reach finesse weapon that can be dual-wielded is even better.

That said, you can dual wield hand crossbows and those are a d6, so I dunno.

>add some kind of sharp object on a whip
>it wouldn't lose it's whip-ness
I don't think you quite know how whips work

Because it's versatile with reach, meaning Dex abuse can be pretty stellar since you get an extra 5 feet of fuck your opponent's mother.

>Ears are in front of the whip

Such an easy thing to fix. Give me a sec.

thanks for the spoonfeed

normally I avoid being the DM at all costs

Going to be playing for the first time this week. Any tips for an autist on how to roleplay well?

>inb4 pixels

Give in to the autism, let it empower you.

Maybe not man, but I do know there are such things as chain whips, and it should be more than a d4.

>tips for an autist
Don't try to steal the spotlight from other players. Don't interrupt the other players or the DM, unless your character is interrupting an in-character conversation. DO NOT make any kind of sexual remarks.

>Don't try to steal the spotlight from other players

I will have to actively make sure I'm not doing this. Thank you.

>Adventure Time was a DnD campaign substitute for Pendleton Ward

What's the difference between Dragonstar and Spelljammer, and which makes the better sword and planet setting / He Man / 80s cartoon setting?

Nissu.

>Martials Can Boast
What does this mean? Sorry, I'm new to Veeky Forums

It is a catch phrase for the opposite of "Wizards Rule, Martials Drool"

The UA ranger without spells is bad?

What's the best beastmaster ranger? Is the UA ranger hunter the "best" route to go?

Just to make it clear.

If a setting has fire arms, or lasers, that can be used by player characters, and they deal more damage than crossbows, then martial classes like fighter become far better than spellcasters like wizards.

>What's the best beastmaster ranger?
UA revised ranger beast conclave

Dragonstar is better for Space Opera, imo. Big powerful evil empire ruled by dragons is straight out of Star Wars.

So, Spelljammer is better for He Man - esque shenanigans. Things are automatically a smaller scale.

Can you still let yourself fall on purpose if you drank a potion of flying and are in the air?

Of course you can, just like you can drop prone when walking.

Probably. I don't see why someone would say no unless the player is trying to use "falling" as a way to get extra movement or something

Great. Next session we will have a rematch with a young black dragon who killed one of our teammates. I will drink a potion of flying we stole from its lair and use it to grapple it in the air and drop to the ground with it. Will be fun

Knocking something prone while flying is the same as knocking it out of the air. That seems a bit convoluted

I know that I can knock it down, but then it has the opportunity to get up and escape, which my character won't risk.

Our party is mostly melee, so I want to get it to the ground and hold it there. Also it will be funny

Players traversed into underdark, entering temple of a demigod, goes by title of "Molten Wand"

Anyone have any cool dungeon ideas? My imagination is running low today and I need some help.

Magic based traps and lava based environment, based on the name alone.

Explain this meme? Wondered if I was the only one who hated that picture

How would I homebrew a race of Half Aarakocra

Give them one wing and they can only fly in circles

Grant wings as a racial feat, like that Dragonborn UA?

Truly, a tormented existence.

Ebberon is probably my favourite setting.

Shame the UA wasn't that great.

Still hoping for ebberon campaign material ala SCAG.

If most of your damage comes from not just the attack itself I don't think it's too bad. I'd use it with a cleric or a rogue, and if you smite often enough it probably is alright on paladin too.

There's bound to be some eventually. Emphasis on "eventually".

What are some good early level spells to grab for my spooky necromancer?

Hm, which UA was that again? I also completely forgot about them. Will probably take some shit that makes it all fit.

That's what I was thinking at base. And maybe no full flight. or if they do they just get the Circles

New DM about to start a campaign with new players, one of them wants to play a Kenku. I suspect he chose Kenku because he thinks their speech limitations will mean less roleplaying for him, but reading over their race it seems like they actually require extremely clever roleplaying to pull off correctly. Should I let him stick with it or tell him to change?

I've got an elf NPC in my campaign that's been around for thousands of years. Is there a way I can do this via rules? There's a thing in Druid that makes it so you only age 1 year for every 10 years you're alive, but it's like level 18 and even though he's supposed to be this ancient heroic legend, I'm not 100 percent sure I want to have my players just suddenly 'know a guy' with access to 9th level magic.

You could go with the undying Warlock they get a similar ability but at level 10.

>I'm not 100 percent sure I want to have my players just suddenly 'know a guy' with access to 9th level magic.
Why not? Someone that old would be wise enough to not just use his abilities because some murderhobos asked him to.

>mister epic hero guy the world is in peril and you have a spell that can solve all of our problems immediately!
>nah I think you should solve this one on your own

Why do you need a certain rule for that? Just invent one or say he got this ability granted by a God, a mighty spirit or by some ancient magic ritual, that is performed once every thousand years or something like that. That shouldn't bother you
Also generally speaking, try to avoid giving NPCs class-levels, just grant them the features you want, because that's a lot less work and more fun and freedom for you.

If you really want to do so for reasons I can not understand, your elf may not be interested in helping the players or strict religious/cultural laws may not allow him to do so

it's called differing opinions. I know this sounds strange, but some people like things that others don't.

It doesn't say I don't have four arms
I'm just mocking the retard you replied to

>Why do Wizards keep releasing shitty Arcanas? What is the point of them?
They want to see what people think of different alternate subsystems now that the game has such a foothold.
It's gonna be these little things for a few months more, by the way, if the original announcement about it is anything to go by.

They're doing a big stretch of them now partly because we have Xanathar's Guide coming out soon, and that'll have enough unique shit to keep us all satisfied for a while yet. Plus, Tomb of Annihilation.

Either don't use 5e, or do like Eberron and turn everything sci-fi into the arcane equivalent.

Legions of sentient war androids being a new disenfranchised people? Warforged.

Impossibly large megalopolis where super-tech is conspicuously all over the place and people have jet packs? Sharn, with its super-magic aura.

1950s-style alien conspiracy fiction? Those psychic outsiders who fucking body-snatch people.

Post-World War irradiated hellscape? The Mournland.