Bad MTG art

There is alot of threads about good looking art, or favorite waifus, and stuff like that.
Wonder how much MTG art would be consider "bad".
I have even hear how new art for alpha cards suck.

Specially people saying that every art for Shiva Dragon is horrible compare to the original.

Personally, I really hate the direction card art has taken with recent sets. Shit just looks so much like crappy cg, its awful. The only artists I really like that do new cards are seb mckinnon and nils hamm, the rest just use the same recycled digital garbage.

Pretty much anything by Drew "I took a watery shit on the canvas" Tucker.

I personally love Word of Command's art. It's the blackest black card.

> 54866019
I don't have foggiest what you mean. Drew Tucker paints absolutely photorealistic depictions of weird blob people trapped in a world of eternal mist. Are you telling me the art direction called for something else?

All Steve Argyle works. His art style is too 3D.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but probably i have just not seeing enough new art..
I have not played alot of magic in the past years.
But it seem that now they have a really unify rules and stuff.
So it could just look the same and not unique between artist.

Which is the latest picture that rebecca guay made in mtg?

Im not sure if her style would fit "moder" mtg with so much water colors and stuff.

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Also, I kind of have a soft spot for Tucker's watercolour abominations myself. At least he's got a clear, personal artistic signature.

I don't have a problem with the quality, but yeah... it's really sterile and boring. like, all the pictures are nice and clean and generally crisp. But they lack the soul of the older generations of cards. Like, the old classic artists like Guay, DiTerlizzi, Foglio, Maddocks, Tedin(shit, compare his Nev Disk to fucking Argyles). They created some of the most iconic cards, and all maintained a strong sense of thier own style and flair.

It's been a slow, steady process but yeah, somewhere along the way they manages to stamp out nearly all of the originality and individuality of the art.... and I can't help but feel like a bit part of that is introducing this cast of constant characters in the planeswalkers that always shows up, and always has to look the same and be identifieable in everyone's art for the "brand'. I'm not saying that's the only reason, but I can't help feeling it's part of it at least.

New stuff is so bland and uninteresting to look at. Check out the cheesy photoshop glow and brushes.

Magma Spray 1. It's magma shooting from a mountain because -oh- the name of the card is Magma Spray. And then there's #2 where I don't know where the magma is coming from...what is it supposed to be.

That's magma spray 2 and 3. 1 is from alara/ Duel decks Izzet V golgari

these are all good

you are rights its gone very downhill

the magma is coming from a hellion

People like you are why we now only have the same bland uninteresting crap for every card, every extension.

If you had at least picked Amy Weber I could take you seriously, but Drew Tucker? Man, that dude can actually do awesome watercolour, you philistine!

Ive found the amonket art to be particularly poor in some cases, drawing in photoshop looks bad and it doesnt matter how good the artist is, the images always lack a certain amount of warmth. In this case some of the artwork is both bad and souless.

Eternally underrated terrible art

You can put 70% of the 10 last editions.

indeed. This one is out of the world in terms of laziness.

hahaha its literally other card cart copied and pasted together

>jpeg level artifacting on the image
its almost ironic

yeah another stinker from Zoltan, he sometimes does alright, but most of the time he make yu-gi-oh tier content

The guy in the back says hi

She did basic lands for Commander 16 that are also being reprinted in Commander 17.
Before that her Serra Angel was in FTW Angels, she made a nice Path to Exile promo, and her last art for a "normal" block was in Eventide...

I dont mind this, its kinda funky

This crap though

Chara deisgn is shit but the lightning is pretty solid. That's kind of a waste.

Guys need to take a look at real beasts before imagining what mystical would look like. There is no way this shit would work.

this is a good one

There was a lot of clunky shit in Tarkir but this one isn't bad.

Hahaha holy fuck im putting this in a deck I love it

These are horrible why did they allow it

I actually like this one for some reason

>hating on all these good arts

It's like you want wizards to shove more cg trash down our throats

Man, its the equivalent of lazy shiny cg shit, but from another age

That goofy shit isn't that bad but it'd be dumb to say that this is good art, especially when there is a lot of awesome traditional art to pick.

this Art is so good, lool at the damn giant crappie

fucking this for the last 10 years

Christ that looks like WoW fan art. The aesthetics of mtg have gone to shit. Fuck maro or whoever is responsible for ruining a 10/10 game.

I prefer the "High Schooler who plays DnD" art from the early nineties to the "High Schooler who dropped out of Full Sail but still has the license to Photoshop" that gets jammed into every bulk common these days

Everything has way too much reflection and bloom, and doesn't feel like it was made by a human but a machine on autopilot

They need more guys like Jesper Ejsing, Even Mehl Amundsen and Wayne Reynolds.
Guys that can deisgn something and give it consistency. Volumes, atmosphère. Guys that knows how to use a brush as well as photoshop.

First magma spray looks fine to me. I think theros was the beginning of the end though.

Redpill me on Chengo McFlingers

>coming up next, a SyFy original movie

>her last art for "normal" block was in Eventide...
Holly hell, Then It was around the time I just stop playing magic...
Rebecca Was one of my favorite artist when I start playing magic, some times I put cards in my deck just because it had her art (not really useful)

But like I thought, Her water colors wouldnt match the new mtg style, dont know if thats why she did just lands, because thouse are lands they can look unique and diferent.

>drawing in photoshop looks bad and it doesn't matter how good the artist is
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. I think Karl Kopinski and Howard Lyon all do their mtg works digital. Their works look like paintings on canvas because they still do that work on the actual medium but photoshop saves a ton of time when crunching a deadline. Digital practices have been used since fucking forever in magic as well. Where was everyone screaming about Izzy, Chippy, and Jason Chan back in the day or screaming about 99% of the art in the scars block? Do people hate on Noah Bradley because he is a digital artist despite being one of the games strongest talents right now?

It's not digital that's the issue. It's the company not being able to curate a talent pool anymore because mtg artists are paid in peanuts and the artists are leaving for better jobs. So the good older artists are gone and you get new younger artists who have practiced with newer tools to replace them so the company can take advantage of them with their pay and have them crank out the art.

Oh and some fault also lies with the art director of each set.

it's only fair a hot garbage blue beater has equally bad art
inb4 vizzerdrix

That's because it is fan art.
Are you slow in the head user?

You want some bad art Anons? I've got your bad art right here. Behold the absolute worst art in all of SOI/EMN. Worse than Sorin, Grim Nemesis even.

I mean fuck, it looks like a lighting rough that someone just grabbed before it was done and threw it on a card. It's clearly not finished, and yet it's published. Half the shit in this thread is at least better than that.

Here it is, in higher res, because Wizards actually used it as art in a story article. Yeah. They had this piece of shit featured on their website.

For fucks sake.

It's great tho.

Regardless of medium, there's usually about the same proportion of good and bad art in MTG. Wether using watercolor, airbrush, acrylics, or fucking photoshop, the ratio of genuinely talented and creative people to preposterous hacks is generally constant

>the new magic art sucks the old ones were bette-

>SO YOU BE SAYIN

>old ones
>1999

These are all decent-to-great, and you are all philistines.

I think the artwork for that was originally from Mirage, so 1996... which is still not properly old-school. (93-95)

Nah, you just want to start shit. I refuse to believe there's someone with taste as bad as yours who actually would enjoy those drawings on the level of elementary school student.

The robe behind her chin makes it look like she has a beard.

I think that art looks okay on the card. Not great, but okay. It's at least detailed without being overdesigned.

I like his style.

The thing that kills it for me is that she looks like the cover of a Nancy Drew book: just barely focusing on this thing of mild interest in front of her WHILE SHE'S BOUND UP A HORRIFYING DEMON.

She's not even looking at the fucking demon.

Just give her some action or movement or an intense look or something. She looks bored.

How about you go fuck yourself

i 100% agree with you, thought the same recently

What really fucks it up too is that the flavor text is saying that the creature she's binding is a former friend twisted into a horrifying monster. There's no action to her to suggest any kind of fear, or horror, or sorrow or anything. It's just so...flat.

They're not even trying anymore.

At least 3d ramos is kind of pretty I guess? It's still not great, but there's at least some kind of effort put in there. The reticulation is nice, but the wings are particularly egregious.

Seb McKinnon is pretty much the only amazing artist still making art for MtG, he hasn't done a single bad piece. His Sandblast is fantastic too.

I'll be honest, I don't hate all of Drew Tucker's stuff. For instance, I've never actually had a problem with Dandan up there. I actually quite like Hurr Jackal, Clockwork Beast, and other works he's done.

But sometimes you get stuff from him like 'Two Tiny Stick Figures in a White Passage' (Goblin Caves), 'Naked Guy on a Veranda' (Holy Light), 'Someone Scribbled on my Card' (Leshrac's Sigil), 'Man's with a Pickaxe-Shaped Head in a Very Dark Room' (Infernal Denizen), 'Why is the Subject of this Card Hiding on the Leftmost Side of the Art from a Ghost?' (Musician), and 'I Walked in on My Parents Having Sex and am Desparately Trying to Blur it from My Mind, Here's What's Left of That Memory' (Necrite).

I guess I'm saying I find his work very hit or miss.

But, as an apology, please accept this most hideous of legendary creatures.

it feels like every new card art us something they would post on Facebook with a status update.

I like mystery creatures and cool concepts for what things may be. the current eastetuc is somewhere between anime and merry melodies.

go example look at goblin sharpshooter then and now. they decided that goblins should be comical.
look at the fearies from shadowmoor (I'm a fan) v the nantuko from doninaria. I like this too.
sometimes I just want .not so crisp lines in a horrid mutated mass of corpses. or a little bit of mystery as a cosmic horror approaches. everything is over designed for the fucking suze if the picture and it takes away from the game when all characters must have a name and story or be recognised, I hate specifically artifacts just hanging out unless they are used by someone in particular. it can be done well but they are mostly booring.

i always drafted this card. couldnt resist

Do you guys like Kev Walker

Honestly the art I hate the most is the boring kinds. At least messes like Daughter of Autum or the weird CGI animation cards have something for the eye to focus on. There's so many cards that are just
>angry buff men with swords
that I just gloss over it. There's no reason to care about what's actually happening in the art. Because I've seen it happening on 400 other cards.

Love Word of Command, always have.

This is as bad as it gets.

the end of foot still looks like a stuffed rabbit head to me

Whatever man, rapier wasp used to make me smile when my ramp green would eat their face before their Shivan Dragon could get warmed up.

genuinely kill yourself to death you retarded subhuman faggot

This was a well-written and hilarious post. I think a lot of his stuff was probably shit he had already painted or detail shots from larger compositions he was repurposing for $$

That face looks like it was done in poser. What the fuck?

People don't give off that shiny plastic gloss when they are indoors.

This is such an ugly card; it looks like the first render of Shrek.

I wonder how much nostalgia comes in to play here?

I would say on average that the art quality started pretty low but rose quickly. It has since started to taper off recently, but still has better average quality than at the beginning.

WoC is great. He also did it in like a couple hours.

I agree. The main issue is that art with any sort of style seems to be pushed out in favor of bland, cg, generic crap. There is the occasional Terese Nielson in a set, but standard legal magic sets have been hurting recently in art. Innistrad is the sole exception because the artists go crazy.

>ruining an iconic card with cg rendering

Looks like a windows XP wallpaper.

>from glancing at spoilers thought he was the only decent looking thing out of the Dragons deck except the kitten token
>see it full size
>despair

Holy shit, this nuMagic aesthetic on an old Magic character is truly vile. He looks like he should be Arcbound Amonkhet Dragon, not fucking Ramos.

Nah, this is good. Old matronly ladies with good hospitality fit the flavor of Homelands Green perfectly. If anything I wish we could get more of the explorer/adventurer/rural thing for Green and less of the OOGA BOOGA SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST and FAR OUT HIPPIE TREEHUGGER that seem to be the only aspects Green has left anymore.

Underrated

>not being pissed about Ur-Dragon

Ur-Dragon is great though.

Innistrad recently had its fair share of awful lame art as well though and everyone goes nuts every set. I think a lot of people now are honing in on the really awful pieces and thinking it's the majority when it's really just more of a large portion to nearly half issue and the other half and portions of the pie are actually good art. Good art is still being put out in all sets, it's just maybe it's on draft chaff instead of a constructed playable card so that art is looked over because the card isn't useful or memorable in playability.

Also Veeky Forums holds nostalgia like gold and likes to think change is bad. Digital art is fine and the good digital art pieces either do cool visual things unobtainable in physical medium or will be good enough that you won't notice it is digital. Bad digital artists and bad physical media artists still exist. If you want wizards to have more physical media artists have them pay the artists more because physical art is fucking expensive compared to digital and takes way longer. I think mtg artists are only paid around 1k in USD for a art piece. That's pretty shit for a painter who works in the physical medium and uses art to make a living.