What does Veeky Forums think of Magical Knights?

What does Veeky Forums think of Magical Knights?

and

What do we officially call them?

I think they're cool. There are a lot of different ways to make one.
You could have him be a normal knight with magic armor or weapons. These weapons could enable him to cast spells if you want him to be a spellcaster.
You could have him be a knight who knows spells and things like that and uses these as a part of his fighting style.

I think most of the time we call them spell blades. D&D 5E PHB call them eldritch knights, but I'm not really a fan of that name - even though it could be used in certain settings.
In some settings you could call them paladins - if magic and divine feats are interchangeable.
I like the idea of calling them "Rune Knights", but those would be the kind of warriors who use enchanted weapons.

Arcane Warriors

Mystic Meatsticks

>What does Veeky Forums think of Magical Knights?

One of the 20 primary archetypes

Warrior
Warrior/Faith
Warrior/Magic (YOU ARE HERE)
Warrior/Nature
Warrior/Cunning

Rogue
Rogue/Faith
Rogue/Magic
Rogue/Nature
Rogue/Body

Priest
Priest/Magic
Priest/Nature
Priest/Body
Priest/Cunning

Mage
Mage/Nature
Mage/Body
Mage/Cunning
Mage/Faith

>What do we officially call them?
Thats the problem i've had. I can't find the perfect reductionist term to refer to them as. Spellsword implies, well, a sword for one. 'Eidolon' is neat enough but translates to either the shade of the dead or 'the ideal form of an individual' so would probably work better for Priest/Body

Yes, I have autism.

>What does Veeky Forums think of Magical Knights?
They are to player classes what half-dragon-kitsune-fairy-demon-angels are to player races.

Fedora Knights because unlike Paladins or Clerics they are way too euphoric to stick with a Deity and get their magic from them.

The only acceptable Gishes are Bards, Warlocks and 1st ED Elves.

So they are degenerate for you?

Hi, r*ddit

Incidentally, since no one asked:

Warrior - Pure physical prowess and Discipline, self titled
Warrior/Faith - Crusader
Warrior/Magic - ??
Warrior/Nature - Warden
Warrior/Cunning - Swashbuckler

Rogue - Pure cunning and intelligence, self titled
Rogue/Faith - Inquisitor
Rogue/Magic - Incantor
Rogue/Nature - Hunter
Rogue/Body - Assassin

Priest - pure faith, self titled
Priest/Magic - Magus
Priest/Nature - Druid
Priest/Body - Chaplain
Priest/Cunning - Friar

Magician - Pure magic, self titled
Magician/Nature - Witch/Warlock
Magician/Body - ???
Magician/Cunning - Sage
Magician/Faith - Heirophant

I need names for the last one besides "punch wizard". And for Warrior/Magic, obviously

Someone who primarily uses magic, but also mixes in athletics and discipline.

>Official magical warrior classes
Eldritch Knight - D&D and PF prestige class
Magus - PF class
Swordmage - D&D 4e class

>Supernatural powers, not spells
Hellknight - PF prestige class

>Including holy magic
Paladin
Inquisitor
>Not exactly knights
Ranger

Muscle Wizard

And witch/warlock are usually more occult in most fiction.
Unless we're talking real life, where they were medicine focused and afraid of fire.

they are cool. i use them as the most common "adventurer" archetype, because having versatility is a requirement for such.

....Did someone say...MAGIC KNIGHT?

Sounded almost like mystic knight to me...

>Warrior/Magic
>Magician/Body
One of those should probably be Spellblade

>Rogue/Magic - Incantor

The fuck is that supposed to be? Ninja, bard or trickster would all work better.

A person is not a blade you fucking Fate weeaboo. Stop naming classes of people after inanimate objects, it's demeaning. Especially when the theoretical warrior/mage class might not always use bladed weapons.

Eldritch Knight is my usual go-to

Sometimes Battlemage

>never heard the term sellsword
>pikemen
>muskateers
>fucking archers
>you're a retard

Now this is autism

why are you retarded?
why are you n the internet?
did you skip your meds again?
where is your guardian?
does your village know that you are loose again?

Warrior who uses magic: Battlemage
Mage who enhances combat abilities: Gish

>Having an archer in your party
>As a Main Pawn
>Archer
Good luck not doing shit

How about
>Warrior/Magic - Channeler
>Magician/Body - Seer?

I think magic warriors are pretty cool.
I like the name they gave them in 4e, Swordmage. And it makes sense that the weapon they use would be a sword, it's not too heavy and it has a good reach. And it basically have them be fantasy jedi. Pretty neat, all in all.

>never heard the term sellsword
The operative word is "sell", a verb, implying action and therefore agency. The words "spell" and "blade" in this context are both nouns, neither of which apply to people.
>pikemen
Yes, it's pikeMEN, not manPIKES. The word order matters. If a pikeman is man with a pike, then a spellblade is a blade with a spell.
In fact I'm pretty sure a special weapon called a spellblade really exists in some D&D loot table.
>muskateers
Yes, it's musketEERS. It's a person doing things. You don't call them bulletmuskets or something like that.
>fucking archers
Yes, it's archERS. It's a person doing things. You don't call them arrowbows or asomething like that.

If you're going to accept weird compound nouns like "spellblade", then a fighter is a tankblade, a rogue is a crimeblade, a wizard is a spellbook and a cleric is a spellfaith, which of course would sound silly.

And again, what do you call a "spellblade" who doesn't use bladed weapons?

Always great to see another English speaker on this board.

Spellsword, then. The operative word is spell!

You kind of have a point.

I mean, you're autistic as all fuck about it (especially as weapon=wielder is well established - hired "guns", for example, and there's precedent for straight up calling people by their weapons or mounts), but you're logical and you make a decent point.

Not specifying both the weapon and the type of magic, I think you would have to call them something like "mystic knight".

Unless the class has powers based on spelling words, you mean "spell" as a noun, as in "I cast a spell", not a verb.

>The fuck is that supposed to be?
It's a Bard.

incantō (present infinitive incantāre, perfect active incantāvī, supine incantātum); first conjugation

I sing.
I recite, say or mutter over (a magic form of words).
I consecrate with spells; enchant.

>Definition of channeler. : a person who conveys thoughts or energy from a source believed to be outside the person's body or conscious mind; specifically : one who speaks for nonphysical beings or spirits.

That honestly sounds like it works for Warrior/Magic, as the warrior is drawing outside forces to aid them. Battle Channeler maybe if you want to be super specific.

That still leaves us with Mage/Body. All this talk of spell blades is making me think of a mage that shapes magic into weapons. I suppose we could go with the extremely meh Warcaster

So "spellsword" triggers your autism because it implies a sword, but you're okay with "crusader"?

>It's a Bard.

Why not call it a bard then? Incantor doesn't sound at all like a rogue, all spellcasters use incantations and it's the only thing on your list I've never seen used in any RPG context.

Let me play mee too

>crimeblade
Sounds kind of cool, actually.

I see your point, but all I'm getting out of this post is to call them SpellswordERS and crimebladeERS.

>what do you call a "spellblade" who doesn't use bladed weapons?
Because it sounds cool? Because of a tradition or precedent?

Why did the British have Fusiliers in WWI when they were not equipped with fusils, a flintlock rifle?

Why is air support sometimes called air cavalry if they aren't horses?

You're just being too anal.

>What even is synecdoche?
Go back to 10th grade English. Or, if you're in some third world shithole, move to somewhere that speaks English and go take 10th grade English.

>magical knights
okay i guess
>what do we call them?
gishes

Consider: There is no such thing as a sword.

I think Magic-Knight or Mystic-Knight is a cool enough title already

Archers are literally the strongest classes available

>Not having a Strider Main Pawn
>Not being a Sorcerer
>Not laughing as the Garm eats a combination of Thousand Kisses and High Fulmination, and dies in a matter of seconds.
>Not feeling grateful as they use Terrible Bend to interrupt Corrupt Sorcerer Pawns while you try to pop off High Maelstrom before they do.
>Not eventually switching to Magick Archer, and doubling the sheer weight of fire being dumped on foes.
ShootyPawn Best Pawn.

my githyanki

Semantic Retardation, the thread

>The only acceptable Gishes are Bards, Warlocks and 1st ED Elves.

How about Gishes? Are they acceptable Gishes?

We don't. This is not the kind of thing that is improved by systematizing.

It hurts me physically to see that you know what the word "Gish" means and yet you approve of that travesty.

mights?

I'm going to start referring to classes as crimeblades and spellfaiths, thanks.

so according to you it's SpellbladERS then?

You might as well use a name like "Spellbalde" or "Battlemage," even if they don't necessarily communicate what you want them to. You're never going to find a name that's simultaneously specific enough that it gives you an idea of what an archetype does yet is generic enough that all applications of said archetype fall under the umbrella. For example, a Barbarian in this system might be a pure Warrior, a Warrior/Nautre, a Warrior/Magic, or even a Warrior/Faith, depending on fluff.

I prefer the term spellsword myself. I like them, but it's gotten rather common in videogames, so that drains some of the appeal, especially when it's much harder to do in most RPGs - you can't really balance the two, instead having a knight with a few spells or a caster with a bit of sword skill.

>Not using fuckhueg blade and absolutely decimating most foes in 2 blows
>Not having Fighter main pawn as front line bro
>Not protecting the healer and having the Sorcerer cast Meteor while enemy is too busy with majestic giant hammer to the face
I agree Strider and subsequent evolutions have their merits but Warrior feels so fucking satisfying.

I like the idea of knights who use magic to supplement their fighting, either imbuing their weapons with magic or using magic to make themselves stronger, faster, or harder to kill. I don't much care for knights who shoot lightning or whatever, seems pretty stupid to use a lance and sword when you can just shoot lightning at them.

a limited encounter, true, but dear god is it frustrating if you don't have a physical bow

To be honest though, you miss the point, because the fusil is held by the FusilER, in the same way Cavalry is not the horse, but cavalERIE, horsemen.

You could make the argument that over time people have forgotten the meaning (as someone assuming "Cavalry" means horse), or synecdoche (that "horse" now refers to the rider, too, which is linguistically incorrect in this case), but you are basically saying then that for Spellsword to follow your example, that they were "Spellsworders" before, or some type.

>Priest/Body
>not Monk
Come on, man.

there's this system someone fiddled with ages ago

have some knights

>the fusil is held by the FusilER, in the same way Cavalry is not the horse, but cavalERIE, horsemen.
Negative. By your logic, if a Spellblade has to be a magic user using a sword, then a Fusiler must be a soldier armed with a fusil.

>You could make the argument that over time people have forgotten the meaning (as someone assuming "Cavalry" means horse)
That was kind of my point. That the Fusiliers using fusils were just refitted throughout the years but are in essence the same and therefore kept their name due to heritage or tradition. Just as the US Marines were formed as a naval security force, that is far from what they are now.

>they were "Spellsworders" before, or some type.
That was a different point. Which was that if you can name a type of soldier or fighter after the weapon they use, such as MusketEER and archER, therefore SwordER or SwordEER is not exactly incorrect following that logic.

Again, while you aren't incorrect, you are being too anal.

Sparkle Blades
Twinkle Swords
Glow Sticks
Hocus Knights

Magician/Nature is the witchdoctor

Aegis Knight was his best class.

What happens if titan knight and marble knight engage in a test of endurance?

On the battlefield, arcane warriors would fill the same general function that Dragoons did in the real world -- fast, armored, and capable of causing a tremendous amount of damage at a moment's notice using fire and shrapnel.

So I'd call them Dragoons.

That's assuming a lot about what kind of magic they'd use. And that they'd be notably fast. And that they'd be anything like the mounted infantry/heavy cavalry the dragoons were.

You might as well just call them shock troops or grenadiers.

this thread disappoints me because no one has mentioned my kniggha motherfucking SPARHAWK. Jesus. A magical knight who belongs to a setting with four orders of them.

Also re the dipshit sperging about using weapon names for class/archetypes : if it was good enough for Rome it's good enough for you, you double carthaginian. Hastati, Primus Pilus, GLADIATOR ffs, also greeks, hoplite is derived from hoplon, their shield. Fucking weeaboo my ass.

you speak a mongrel language

Yes. You are my nigga.

Not denying Warrior's benefits, though the limit of three skills hurts.
>laughing as Shootypawn shoots down a Griffin/Cockatrice face first into Arc of Obliteration
>Using the climbing Augments and a few Periapts to bonk Daimon to death with the butt of your hammer while striderbro shanks him

>Warrior/Magic
Really like calling them Spellblade. Yeah, it's somewhat misleading because not every knight uses bladed weapons, but I like the flow of the plosives it has.

>Magician/Body
Warmage, Magefist. It's really pretty hard to find something decent that isn't word for magic + weapon.

But while we're talking about it, what are some good implementations of these stranger archetypes? Dragon's Dogma does pretty decent with it's hybrid classes. Alchemist are the close-combat mage class and they're hella fun because they use their magic for mobillity and explosions.

Spelldancer, one who uses their own attacks as ritual incantation for spells.
Blitzstriker, inflexible experts at precasting and layering spells into a single blow.
Magebane, who parry attacks both physical and magical. Has full control over force and the application of it even at a distance.

Muscle Wizard is actually good, though. Augmenting the body to the fullest as opposed to specializing in what is appropriate for various martial arts.
Arbiter, one who analyzes and exploits the patterns and flaws of others.
Puppeteer