EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Just ordered a million fucking snake tokens on a magic online shop" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Full C17 Decklists:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Who is your favorite Golgari Commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-2017-ranking-the-decks
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/sacrifice-2016-03-23
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reposting from last thread

Is the way that champion creatures + Ianna combos off

Creature enters, Champion and Ianna both occur on ETB, as they are simultaneous, you choose order they go on stack, set Ianna to resolve before champion, make a copy, copy champions the origional, then sac the copy to get the original back, then repeat?

>Who is your favorite Golgari Commander?

Gitrog forever and always. Rog planeswalker when?

Savra is my waifu

People keep recommending warp world for my Wort deck but I don't really understand why. It's good in almost no situations and for the cost is a complete gamble, is there something im missing.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/

Play this instead and wait for someone to play a "x target permanent" card, nothing like returning every players everything to their hand or exiling the entire board on turn 19

>Thread Question:
I've been enjoying Hepatra a lot, but Nath is my main man.

Ghave, Sporebro.

My buddy and I are splitting a case of the new C17 commanders. He's getting the Vampires, I'm getting the wizards. Then, we are going to either flip a coin, roll a die or whatever to divvy up the other two.

Anyway, what's everyone thinking about upgrades to the Wizard deck? I'm thinking about changing the commander to Kess and just make a deck slanging spells. But I'm not really sure. Any suggestions?

>the dude who runs unglued/unhinged cards in his deck to make everyone do weird shit

It's almost that time again. Besides the juicy land art does anyone ever consider the silver bordered cards for their decks.

Never considered the silver bordered cards for a deck, just not my thing. But I don't mind playing against them, depending on the card.

I'm planning to run Double Cross on Nebuchedennazar discard shenaningans.
Would you agree to be thoughtseized turn 0 next game?

Kess makes a really good storm commander which you can do easily without going full competitive EDH. Add tons of cheap cantrips like Preordain and Ponder and use things like Mind's Desire or Empty the Warrens to either win or just create tons of value.

Move aside, nerds, I have a Protean Hulk to reanimate.

>i-i swear i own an original copy of this card
>i-i just dont want to buy the same card for ever deck

Oh shit guys, he got us. Pack it up, we're done here.

*discards lands behind you*
Heh, nothing personnel kid.

Well, at least there were two classy answers until this showed up

Edgar Markov is a retarded 1v1 commander.

To be fair 1v1 EDH is a retarded format.

Is it just me or is C17 underwhelming powerwise?

I mean I'm sure that they are fun to play, but there isn't much in terms of powerful cards.

I hate to say it, but Meren. The hipster part of me cries out for Hapatra, but Meren works.

As well as moneywise. I've come to terms with communist cat, but Teferi's bullshit is going into every white deck from now on, let alone Ad Nauseam combo

They had one job. Don't let Mirri to "duel" horde-vs-1 and add "If it's you turn, end the turn" to Teferi's Protection". You know, like Day's undoing that does milder thing

>As well as moneywise
Are the cards not worth the msrd?

Msrp

I didn't go as far as comparing the prices of every card, but the lands are shit and there are only a few playable pieces of removal, all far below 10$, so I say yes.

>At the beginning of your upkeep, end the turn.
Very useful.

I have a City of Ass proxying a City of Brass in one of my decks

>you have no permanents every turn
genius man

Panoptic Mirror is banned, user.

>"All in all, there's a strong argument that the Commander 2017 decks are the best ever released in the Commander series."

Is SaffronOlive high on drugs?

I'd love to hear said argument.

Shills are a thing.

Maybe he is just a huge fan of lands that enter the battlefield tapped.

mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-2017-ranking-the-decks

no he's just retarded.

When they're saying every single new card is worth $10, yes.

It's about the same as every other set of precons. Let's just look at the new commanders

>Kess
Potent enough to get grumblings out of the Eternal Competitive demographics, unseats top-tier favorite Jeleva as the new queen of Grixis Storm.

>Inalla
Infinites the bed about as well as Karador

>Dragons Taigam
Taigam Turns is going to be a thing; he's probably at a similar power level to Kaalia, really with the same general weakness to disruption. Except he's got blue to run interference.

>Mirri
I feel like she's consistently underrated here; powerful on the offense and defense.

>Ramos
Is primed to do some real stupid shit.

>Mairsil
King of jank, perhaps, but still powerful enough to provoke interest

>Mathis
Cheap, efficent, and offers potential CA (at the cost of doing a little group hugging) in Mardu. While not amazing he does open up new avenues of play.

>Ur Dragon
Not the hero Dragons deserved, but the one their expensive asses needed.

>Edgar
Represents a decently effective commander under the cEDH level. We got 3 or 4 essentially competitive commanders, it's surprising we're not scraping rock bottom by now.

>Khans Taigam
Not a superb commander but he is viable for dimir and decent in the 99. Folks run Tomorrow, and he has a lot of Tomorrow's benefits with the added upside of a killer activated ability.

>Arahbo
Cute, but not going to cut it in multiplayer. We are now in the realm of honestly weak commanders.

>Wasitora
OK forced sacrifice is never bad but Shattergang is probably better for that shit.

>Balan
Comes in third among Mono-white Voltron commanders after Sram and 8.5 Tails. Too bad Monowhite Voltron is kinda shitty.

>O-Kagachi
Everyone's favorite disappointment, he'll helm 5c Spiritcraft and fit right in. Protip: That's never gonna be a good deck

>Nazahn
At least Balan came with one of the most critical Voltron abilities (Double Strike) and a way around equip costs at 4 CMC.

>Licia
Garbage. There's one or more in every set.

Has he actually seen the decklists? Jesus

I really hope noone tries to play the dragon deck out of the box.

>Protip: That's never gonna be a good deck
Y-you don't know that!

What's the story behind this? Why isn't it just a random monster?

what a mess

Who cares about being classy when you do everything that Golgari does but even better?

>everyone's favorite disappointment.
In true spirit of Kamigawa.

licia is probably better than some of those other lower-tier comnanders. if you can proc her cost reduction on turns 3-5 and play her she's pretty good. i never underestimate cost reduction from the zone

>about the same as every other set of precons
The legendaries are pretty ok, but the rest of the decks are pretty bad. The only card worth something is Mirari in Cats deck, but then, Cat has the worst eminence out of them all.

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/sacrifice-2016-03-23

Long story short, its an oversized Hypnotoad that eats sheep and people and takes over an entire village community.

Can you cost-reduce her commander tax?

He's actually retarded because he suggested vampires going Mardu isn't going to be a thing and they'll take apart the vamp deck to make an Olivia deck instead.

You know, because the best board wipes and best targetted removal in the game aren't going to make it worth it.

"Fun" and "Good" aren't the same thing, user.

You just need to regain 2 more life

>Folks run Tomorrow, and he has a lot of Tomorrow's benefits with the added upside of a killer activated ability.

No, Tomorrow's benefit is making it impossible to deck yourself out. Tomorrow is a shenanigans commander, and Evil Taigam does not fit into the same niche.

You guys got any ideas for Kess?

>Secrets of the Dead
>Dream Halls
>Increasing Vengeance
>Increasing Ambition
>Burning Vengeance
>Mystic Speculation (and other buyback cards)
Though some of those a probably too cute and should be cut for general goodstuff.

1cmc red burn removal like Lightning Bolt and Flame Slash don't normally do very well in EDH, but I think Kess could make it work. With Kess, Flame Slash becomes "RR: Deal 8 damage to target creature, or 4 damage to two target creatures. Exile Flameslash."
That's pretty good.

I've also considered running some targeted discard spells. Thoughtseize is normally pretty shit in multiplayer because you're sharing the card disadvantage with the targeted player, putting you behind everybody else. Being able to recast it from the grave makes it a little more viable. Probably still not worth it though.

You could also run her as a reanimator. Mill everybody with cards like Mesmeric Orb and then cast reanimation spells from your graveyard. With Kess, every reanimation spell is basically an Unburial Rites, so you can get great value from milling everything.

I've also considered having a janky infect subtheme.
>Tainted strike + 2x Titan's Strength = 10 poison counters
That sort of thing.
But that's too shitty, even by my incredibly low standards.

Honestly, I'm probably just going to run a shitload of cantrips and rely on Docent of Perfection for the win like a do in Izzet spellinger.
At least I can now double-dip into Seething Song like a filthy degenerate.

Taigam stops you from decking yourself too though.

>54870255
What I like about Grixis reanimator is how it folds to gravehate, despite being tricolor. I run daddy Sedris only with backbreaking effects and infinite combos (and then still put it away when serious business starts) and jeleva only with storm. I tried to make my favorite combo work in semi-casual, but it rarely does

Yeah, once a turn, but he doesn't make it impossible.

Oh, fair.

How many creatures vs noncreatures does Edric usually run? Gonna try my hand at building him, but not using Walks

Who?

So, only way to get the decks near MSRP at the moment is to order all four at once, which I really don't want to do because I hardly play paper commander as it is.
Which decks do you think are going to tank below MSRP after release and which will stay above it/rise further?

Wizards is the only one that I can see getting a decent price. But they are all pretty horrible, I would try to get a c16.

Yup, same way you can Karador.

I built a budget Edric with 90% creatures and it was super boring and linear.

Edric is ridiculously cheap to build, yet still very strong, but after playing with him a few times you've experience everything he has to offer.

I still recommend building him. I mean, he's so cheap, so why not?
However, for the sake of fun, don't run:
>70 1cmc evasive creatures and mana dorks
>28 lands
>Notorius Throng
Put some other stuff in there, even if you make the deck a little weaker in the process.

I already have the C16 deck I want, so I'm good there.

I'm a massive catfag and the deck looks ho-hum at best, so I'm planning on getting the feline one. I still have most of a Kemba deck, so I already have plenty of upgrades.
Going GW instead of monowhite means I won't have a manabase worth a fuck, though.

To what end are you reducing her cost, though? Karador is good not just because you can drop his cost, but because he actually does something worth doing once he's on the field. Licia's sole ability to buff herself once per turn cycle inclines her towards Voltron without giving her any of the tools she really needs to succeed in an already dubious role. So you drop her and dump 5 life and if she doesn't eat a path you dump 5 more and swing with your 10/10 to get it all back, only to have her come to a dead stop on a Saproling that is then immediately sacrificed to deny the lifelink. What then? Good commanders support their deck as well as being supported by their deck, and either present a devastatingly good plan A or a backup plan or plans that allow them to continue to play with the hope of winning if the board hasn't gone their way. The best commanders often do both.

Licia does none of that. She has one plan and it involves swinging without native haste, evasion, or defenses better than a high toughness, meaning she has to have her deck covering for her deficiencies.

The other five bottom-of-the-bin commanders all have something she doesn't. Voltron buddy Balan has Double Strike access and "Grab all" that makes resetting far easier. Nazahn, the other Voltron Buddy, at least tutors up something he wants. Wasitora is an evasive beater who at least messes with peoples boards. O-Kagachi, probably the other worst of the lot, gets you all five colors. And Arahbo at least has Eminence for constant value and grants trample with his "Go Tall" nonsense; there's a reason people want to get cute and have him run infect. What does Licia do that compares to any of those?

Pretty much every commander newer than c13 is below 5$, but Atraxa is 20$. How so?

If it makes you feel better, cats have the best landbase of them all(that is not say much though), and it has Mirari in case you don't already have it.

Yeah honestly I'm just looking for a cheap creature beatdown deck. What would you substitute in place of a chunk of the flyers/unblockables?

Synergizes with and can help trigger big lifegain?

I imagine the idea is to get effects that care about gaining loads of life at once, rather than tiny amounts like Karlov.

She's undeniably weak, but I don't think she is without purpose.

Atraxa is pushed to the point of being overpowered, is extremely open-ended, and synergizes with two of the most popular strategies in the format, +1/+1 counters and superfriends.

She is the most popular commander ever, I think.

Anything I should cut/add to this list?

According to EDHrec, she's the most played commander of all time by a significant amount. That's only based on the decklists submitted to tappedout, but it seems to be about right based on her price.

Add green, roll Wortmother

>35 lands
>1 (ONE) rock
>that mana curve
Damn you suck at this.

Maybe suggest things instead of "lol u sux im pro tour edh champion"

Mogg Infestation and Descent of the Dragons are nice ways to double up on all your creatures for Purph triggers.
Also general Purphoros goodstuff you might want to add: Panharmonicon, Tempt with Vengence, and Norin the Wary.

Not with that attitude.

Go fuck yourself champ.

Hey guys, quick question about Athreos, If I'm trying to sacrifice Fiend Hunter with a Karmic Guide underneath can I stack the triggers so that Athreos' ability fizzles and I can combo off or is that not possible?

I'll give you advice since that guy's in a bad mood: add Kher Keep and Valakut as lands.
For mana rocks, you really want 2cmc ones to power out Purphoros on turn 3. Viable ones include: Mind Stone, Charcoal Diamond, Ruby Medallion, Iron Myr, Star Compass, Coldsteel Heart, and maybe Everflowing Chalice.
About 6 of these should be enough.

You're only allowed to stack triggers during a full moon when there are exactly 37 cards left in your deck.

>>Inalla
>Infinites the bed about as well as Karador
The only actually decent Inalla combo is Wanderwine Prophets. Inalla is much more of a tribal value deck than a competitive combo deck. I guess getting a repeatable Venser trigger for 3UU is pretty good, but it's only an actual wincon if you already had infinite colored mana. And in that situation, if you were using Deadeye and Chron, Inalla is totally redundant

Hmm I thought Mogg infestation and Descent were more expensive than they were hence why I never got them. Tempt is way too pricey for me at 13~ tix.

I run 10 counters, but they're the ones like Dream Fracture that draw other people cards so I can make fragile alliances 'cuz I'm a gay like that. I have a couple mass bounces and green removal, and the rest is evasive creatures, ramp and a Beastmaster Ascension

I think this is exacly what teferi did when the invasion begun.
do you want to loose your spark user?

This doesn't help me, It's not a full moon tonight and I'm test playing the deck later.

Entomb/Fatestitcher/Mesmeric Orb costs 3UB and wins the game.

Cheers boss, I'll have a gander at what you've suggested.

I'm looking through my Edric deck now and most of my non-evasive-1cmc cards are generic Simic goodstuff, so perhaps it's my own fault I got bored of Edric so quickly.

You could include a few massive fat green creatures. Use things like Plasm Capture, Ashnod's Altar and Kydele to get them onto the field quickly. That way, your deck has a backup plan and is a little more versatile.

Most 1cmc evasive creatures are all the same in function, so Edric tends to play the same way no matter which of those 1cmc creatures you choose to cast. Playing 1cmc flier over another is a redundant decision.
On the other hand, many 8cmc creatures have some crazy effect that'll change the state of the board when they enter the battlefield. Playing one 8cmc creature instead of another 8cmc can lead the game down a drastically different path.

Perhaps this is just my inner Timmy talking, but you could use your fliers and mana-docks to ramp into something fat and interesting to close the game out, instead of just winning with Triumph of the Hordes.

Take Druids' Repository for example. You can generate a ridiculous amount of mana with this in an Edric deck, and it only cost 30 cents.

Wow, a three card combo where none of the pieces individually support the gameplay. Basically every deck ever can set something like that up. I would hardly say Inalla has the combo potential of Marath, Karador, Animar, etc.

Hey that's a neat idea. I'm gonna try not to run Craterhoof either, I just have to find some goofy fatties to use instead

Are Hatebears even feasible in a beatdown meta? I want to be a dick and make everyone miserable but I doubt Hatebears is the best way to do it with my group

>Grave manipulation isn't part of the gameplan
lul

Probably Meren
I really like the color combination in other formats but I cant really find a commander I would bother building

>you dont have class unless you play what I want you to play