The origins of Orc's

I'm making an low magic fantacy world, and i'm thinking about using orc's as a race. But i can't think of a good reason for orc's to be orc's. seeing that it is a low magic world if had in mind to give them a Mongolian theme. hit and run tactics and mounted combat ass wel as being nomadic.

Other urls found in this thread:

deremilitari.org/2014/06/the-art-of-war-under-chinggis-qahan-genghis-khan/
depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/rubruck.html
deremilitari.org/2014/05/the-mongol-siege-of-xiangyang-and-fan-cheng-and-the-song-military/
atarn.org/mongolian/mongolia.htm
mongolfood.info/en/recipes/boodog.html
deremilitari.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/somogyi.pdf
deremilitari.org/2014/08/the-inner-asian-warriors/
deremilitari.org/2016/09/description-of-mongol-warfare-from-friar-john-of-plano-carpini/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pic for armor

What do you mean a reason for orcs to be orcs? As in, why or how they were created as a race? If so, then how were your other races created? A low magic world can have a plethora of races in it, I don't see how magic reflects the race choice specifically.

>But i can't think of a good reason for orc's to be orc's. seeing that it is a low magic world

Just make them a remnant of some ancient primate species. Like Gigantopithicus.

for example in wow their aliens and in Might and magic their made by human flesh en demon blood . so i'm looking for an orginal source.

40k plant monsters
Toiken evil elfs
Mine: Humans are monkeys, orcs are boars

The first orcs were born when shamans stuck their dicks in the lady's pooper instead of her cunt, producing deformed horrible babies. This happened often enough that it sired a brand new race. To this day, orcs reproduce through anal.

There used to be dwarves, but then humans moved in to mongolia and bred with them and ogres and the occasional lamia or two until the orc race was born and there are no more dwarves or ogres or humans in that region as a result.

>But i can't think of a good reason for orc's to be orc's.

Do what I do.
Different group of gods mold different races to worship and be their agents in the material plane.

Orc gods make orcs from pigs.

Catfolks gods make catfolks from cats.

Human gods make humans from monkeys.

Mer gods make merfolks from fishes.

Dwarf gods make dwarves from rodents.

No elves cause fuck them for giving leeway for assholes to behave like arrogant assholes in character.

An not so orignal source idea i had ad first: they Were a group of human that lost a civil war and were exiled to the desert where they found a Devil . they ask him to make them stronger so they can win their war. the devil ask them to proof them self to him. so they start slauthering each other unit only a small group is left. then the devil curses the group covert in the blood of their former allies and they transform in to Orc's

Created and bred as gladiators by some magic creature (Daeva?), killed the magic creature and ate its flesh, now progeny of those who ate the Daeva are Khans

>But i can't think of a good reason for orc's to be orc's.

Humans are the original race until the global wizard wars happened where every wizard kingdom bred their own supersoldier slaves, each specialized in their own terrain and type of warfare, to fight other nations until a world ending calamity happened to destroy all of their empires.

Now, you have all different races living with humans in the world as a reminder of the deadly misuse of powerful magic in the hands of the ambitious and greedy fuckers.

I always figured elves evolved from cats. They're graceful, sleek, and clever, but some of the most arrogant bastards you'll ever meet.

That's also how the world, my setting is populated with all kind of dangerous monsters, artifacts and ruins.

Not to mention pointy ears, I think youŕe on to something

Magical reeem?

>orc's
If it's just orcs and humans you could do that they have been the evolutionary competitor of humans, like Neanderthals.

>Catgirl elves
There's definitely something here

God gave life to Creaton, and was pleased
But, said the Trickster Doubt that lay hidden in God, whence comes pride if there are none to praise? And God was plussed
And a viewpoint was made to be, formless but whole, and God was pleased
All of time in all of Creation was theirs to appraise, and God Its to praise, and God was pleased
But, said Trickster Doubt that lay hidden in God, where is the line between Praise and Flattery, though the latter was not yet made to be? And God was plussed
And so Two were made of One, that they might bicker and agree, and God was pleased
And so God bid them witness the elements, their grace and their glory, and all were pleased
But in their heart of hearts lay hidden the Trickster Envy, and Two were plussed
One felt, Surely I would be Earth: enduring, implacable like the mountain, and would then be pleased
One felt, Surely I would be Fire: transgressive, transformative, and would then be pleased
And next God bid them the weather, its fairness, its fury, but still Two were envious and plussed
One felt, Surely I would be the Sunshine: My warmth embracing life, and would then be pleased
One felt, Surely I would be the Storm: My wrath goading strife, and would then be pleased
And then God did grieve, to see Two now formed Envious, unwhole, and was then forever plussed
In shame Two were cast down upon Creation, their wholes forming of Envy, One never again until surpassing or silencing the Other be pleased

You know that it's spelled "ream", right

The joke would have been funny if you hadn't botched it

How "mongol" are they? Do they also have a low population, incredible willingness to adopt foreign ways of warfare, aversion to die and strategical/tactical genius? The mongols weren't "Mongols" just because.

deremilitari.org/2014/06/the-art-of-war-under-chinggis-qahan-genghis-khan/
>Because the population of Mongolia was so small (some say it was over one million; I am inclined to put it at two million), human life was very precious. One can see from Chinggis’s tactics that the Mongols tended to avoid hand-to-hand fighting in order to minimize casualties among their soldiers.

depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/rubruck.html
>William had the distinction of being the first European to visit the Mongol capital of Karakorum on the Orhon River and return to write about it.

deremilitari.org/2014/05/the-mongol-siege-of-xiangyang-and-fan-cheng-and-the-song-military/

atarn.org/mongolian/mongolia.htm

mongolfood.info/en/recipes/boodog.html
>Marmot or goat, cooked with hot stones in the stomach.

deremilitari.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/somogyi.pdf
>The Destruction of Damascus by the Mongols in 1299-1301

deremilitari.org/2014/08/the-inner-asian-warriors/

deremilitari.org/2016/09/description-of-mongol-warfare-from-friar-john-of-plano-carpini/

Or are they going to be one between many nomad horse-archers which regularly wrecked "civilized" peoples throughout history? There were many of those. The Saka Rauka eventually had indo-greek hoplites and elephants.

etymological derail.
I've always been under the impression that "reaming" was a portmanteau of "ramming", which obvious, and "ream" which is a certain sized stack of paper, and presumably a standardized or predictable width.

There's probably a technical, girth related cutoff between anal sex and true reaming.

Orcs are the results of humans interbreeding with an antedeluvian, lost race.

a ream of paper for reference

Orcs say that they come from the sky, that they are the chosen people of God.
They are halfway right. Their spaceship crashed here millennias ago and they are the inbred descendants of the ship crew.

>low magic fantacy world

how about this
>burly savage hominids develop isolated from the main continent
>their land suffers deastic seasonal difficulties (best if linked to volcanic or oceanic activity) so their culture revolve around the migration up and down their island's longitude
>suddenly it's the end of the world: island gets almost destroyed and they leave it, either using newly formed strings of volcanic lands or makeshift ships (depending on the tech level you want them to have at that point)
>they reach the main continent as a horde with nomadic traditions willing and capable of resolving problems aggressively
>first interactions with the mainland's humanoids are swift and brutal as the horde has the number and strength to overcome the more advanced opposition
>the relatively stupid orcs now scavenge and mimick technology and techniques

>worldbuild how the horde separates, diversifies and adapts to this new low magic world (whether better or not than their old home) as you see fit

could always go the "Lost offshoot of x" route.

they went in a particular direction in search of an object, animal, location or enemy to route, got changed by an event along the way or ended up becoming what they were pursuing, and only returned when they were too far gone to be changed back.

then just for kicks, making a weird combination of herbs, spice, incense and smoke put them in a trance where they become civilized and remember their past selves.

> i can't think of a good reason for orc's to be orc's

Then don't put them in. Blindly following genre is how your setting goes to shit.

why not just use mongols?
Just give them a Conanesque name like... Rouran, Keraites or Khergits