/STG/ - Star Trek General

Combat Mood Lighting Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing
Core Rulebook
>IN NEED OF NEW LINKS

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-jason-isaacs-controversy-debate/
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(XCV_330)
youtube.com/watch?v=tcSKEC5PhoA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

DS9 and VOY had decent ratings for genre shows, comparable to other fairly big name shows of the time (like the X-Files). It's actually TNG that "started" the death spiral, because the execs were continuing to chase the mainstream appeal that TNG brought to the table.

Those numbers weren't sustainable because TNG came out at a time when there were only a handful of channels, and it was syndicated, so there were a lot of options to watch it.

What killed Trek was TNG. Both the show, which produced the audience numbers chase, and the movies, which were terrible yes, even First Contact.

The last nail in the coffin was the inability to figure out why chasing TNG's numbers wasn't working, and moving Trek to a single shitty network. VOY tried to be TNG's 8th-14th seasons, and even when it good it was only barely so. ENT had two seasons where they didn't really know what they wanted to do with the show, so it was basically TNG with a new coat of paint.

Not even Euderion can make this turd appealing.

Who the fuck thought that was a great idea?

Again. I'm not entirely sure we aren't looking at a Springtime For Hitler gambit from CBS here.

The... romulans? Is that not some mutant form of bird of prey?

Excuse me, comfiest ship class in the fleet coming through

I don't think CBS is that smart.

Well I never said they were going to pull it off.

Gotta agree with you user. I'm also partial to the Sutherland class they released in STO

It's more like "Paramount needs to do something to retain the Trek license since they're not making another movie anytime soon, and CBS needs something to promote their pointless streaming service".

If they shrank it by about 33% I'd like it a lot better.

Yeah I like the miranda too.

Or, hear me out, they had made it a proto-Miranda or proto-Excelsior it would have been better. This design is ridiculous, the uniforms are out of place and the Klingons and their "sarcophagus" ship make no damn sense.

Sorry, meant to post to

Isaacs, aka Captain Lorca from STD says “I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans."

Welp, we're fucked on this one.

I can't say I'm surprised. Still sticking to my "not watching STD until the series is over with" policy. If they don't care about the lifelong Trek fans, they can go fuck themselves.

Sheeeeeit

I am operating on the same policy.

Has there ever been a series more dead on arrival to the fans of the series than STD?

Miranda is about 75% smaller though, it's fucking tiny by comparison.

Perhaps you should stop mindlessly reposting from reddit and read the actual interview yourself.
>I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.
Sounds more like he doesn't care about whatever expectations die-hard fans have for him as captain, not that he doesn't care about them at all, which is fair enough since the captain's not the main character this time around so he doesn't need to fit the same mold as previous captains.

Untwist thy knickers and post the full quote then:

>I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans. I only ‘don’t care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.

The funny thing is, though, is that he's wrong. At least where I'm concerned. I'm NOT watching STD. Not until its run its course, good or bad.

>screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-jason-isaacs-controversy-debate/

Hmm. Take a look at this, it's from the article that was the source for the other one:

> Jason Isaacs is ready for the captain's chair. The Liverpool native will play Captain Lorca in the “Star Trek: Discovery,” and he's fine with the possibility that die-hard fans may have difficulty adjusting to the reboot of the beloved franchise.

>Isaacs, 54, said the new show will throw away the legacy of William Shatner and Patrick Stewart – and expects it to upset die hard Trekkies.

It's then followed up by the quote. So is it a reboot? Or is that a misnomer on the author of the article's part?

Either way, STD doesn't deserve a chance to succeed, based on what they've said and shown so far.

>Galaxy but with foetal alcohol syndrome
No thanks m8

So this is like that one Fantastic Four movie that Fox made back in the 90's?
The only one that's actually good?

Problem is with the Fantastic 4 movie is that everyone thought they were making a legit movie that could have been a stepping stone to something bigger, so they tried really hard to make it work with the limited budget they had.

Not getting ANY sense of that from Discovery. I mean I hope it's not shit, but honestly given all the things I've hoped for to not be shit that have actually turned out shit, I'm not getting my hopes up.

At this point I feel like the only guys to really get Trek are the guys doing STO, and even that's got it's foibles.

I don't think even they get star trek, not the way their plots work.

The star trek adventures guys seem to though, will have to see as expansion content for the game happens.
And the mod for Stellaris seems to be really trying.

give Star Trek Continues a look, it really seems like everyone involved loves the source materiel and is willing to put a lot of time into it.

Should Starfleet reinstate the M.A.C.O?

Yes.

It also needs a fleet of border patrol boats and a police fleet for the major trade lanes. Because fuck waiting until it rains to fix the roof.

What's that ship second from the right, /stg/?

This:

>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(XCV_330)

Name a single problem from the shows that MACO could solve that regular old ship security could not. Also, we've got to keep that "not a military" meme running as long as humanly possible.

They already exist. We see Starfleet ground forces on a couple of occasions in DS9.

And on every occasion they sucked fucking balls.

Ezri was too pure for the show.

That's just the writers now understanding how combat works at all.

In a setting where shuttlecraft can effectively flatten entire cities, being a foot soldier is always gonna suck.

And, to be fair, the Marines (they're never explicitly called marines but they have their own distinct uniform and Starfleet has that whole space navy shtick going on so fuck it) don't do that bad. The guy we see during the battle with the klingons is just after saving his entire platoon by being a badass. And the guys at AR-558 have been holding a position against a superior enemy force with crazy ass phase mines all over the place for weeks.

They're getting better. The end of the Iconian war was super Trek, even if most of the rest of the arc was ridiculous and dumb.

Was there ever another reference to the giant aliens from Farpoint in books or anything?

They make brief appearance in STO just before the Lukari become shit.

One of the Titan books focuses pretty heavily on them and the Crystalline Entities.

This desu - the whole thing was the first plot point in STO to genuinely surprise me especially Sela's fucking up going full circle, since I just expected it to end in dakka. It actually felt like Trek, for once (Mindscape does pretty well, and the prophet-y bits of The 2800 come a distant third place), which is pretty fucking rare for Cryptic.

I can't believe it took me this long to notice that the Curry is really just a badly malformed Excelsior.

As opposed to the Macos? They did a piss-poor job of protecting Enterprise.

sort of oberth-y

You know, I've played the Stellaris mod a bunch now and I don't think I've ever once played as the Federation.

David Mack and the guys doing the Seekers books get classic Trek pretty well. It's a shame all of them want to continue flogging the novel line when STO would be a better use of their time, since I'd kill to have the novel continuity Data show up rather than the shitty one from Countdown.

Eh, it's more of just an ugly parts rearrangement.

>STO
>a better use of anyone's time

Lulwut?

The Trek novels are pretty much just spinning their wheels at this point. They're not even to the Hobus supernova timeline wise, but are building up the Romulans as a HUEG threat. Hell, the most recent trilogy was a 2380s follow up to Star Trek III for Christ's sake.

The Oberth at least has unique parts. The Curry is literally the Excelsior chopped up into the hull, saucer, and nacelles, then glued back together all wrong.
The council mechanic is a quick and easy way to integrate new members, but your core worlds spiral out of control fast, especially once you first form it. I also find that unless you act fast, the Cardassians will gobble up Bajor and Trill without fail, every game. It's kind of amusing. Betazed doesn't really fare much better.

Ignoring Trek '09, would the Federation have the technology to protect a planet's atmosphere from being stripped away by a Supernova?
Let's say 10 light years distance.

Would a planetary shield be a possibility?

Per "Homeward" they have the ability to create an atmospheric bubble to prevent total atmospheric dissipation, but anything more than a small bubble isn't feasible in an emergency. I'd imagine a supernova would have more problems than just that.

I think they could adapt the experimental shield tech in that one episode of TNG where Dr. Crusher solves the murder of the ferengi scientist who created it. It allowed a small shuttle to enter the corona of a highly unstable sun.

Or they could put the shield next to the sun and make it small & strong, shielding a fuckload more space.

Supernovas are kinda multiple orders of magnitude worse than simply sitting next to a star though.

Still, dissipation of effects due to the scale going on... could work.

Yes. There was a planetary shield around the planet where Garth of Izar was imprisoned in TOS, and Kirk in another episode was shocked to learn Memory Alpha itself had no shields whatsoever.

So, it's possible.

this

Probably depends on how much advance notice they have. Could a single starship do it? Doubtful, see the Homeward example Give the Starfleet Corps of Engineers a few months to set up some kind of static shield system on the surface or in orbit? Yeah almost certainly possible.

Which was the intent. No one expected the Hobus supernova to catch a ride in a subspace channel directed right to Romulus's doorstep.

Well in fairness, if you give the entire Starfleet Corps of Engineers one task and a few months, they could probably build just about anything, given that they are magic space wizards. Fuck, I feel like a Dyson swarm is well within their reach if they really wanted it enough.

Comicsfag here.

Lemme tell you how "We'll make our core audience mad to drum up sales!" goes.

If you advance the plot too much, you can't use canon characters (at least in their current incarnations - you'd have to pull a STO and have a bunch of old farts), and if you can't have that you don't sell books at B&N. My local store in the last couple of months took out half the already pitiful shelf space for Trek books, for more SW books.
Sure, they could make OC Donut Steel characters, but even the Corps of Engineers or Temporal Affairs books use canon characters, even if they were secondary in the shows or in the stories (CoE has Cdr Gomez as a main character, who was one of the pre-Geordi chief engineers on TNG, and Cap. Scott showing up occasionally).

From what little I've heard about Marvel's future, the answer is: Poorly.

Damn it why wasn't this a thing? I would have loved to see Fillion in star trek.

So is it just me, or are the prospects for discovery just getting worse by the day? They don't care about Trek fans, blatant political agendas (which to be fair star trek has always had, but I feel like it was never this bad.), Fanfiction tier writing. It's like the perfect storm of shit.

>blatant political agendas (which to be fair star trek has always had, but I feel like it was never this bad
TOS was more political for its time than any subsequent series, including DIS. To match it DIS would need a genderqueer/trans and a visibly Muslim woman on the bridge, the admiral or commodore the captian takes orders form most often would need to have Down's, and a prominent genius would have to be featured who's quadriplegic.

>DIS

Don't do that. It's STD. It doesn't deserve anything but derision.

That is a lovely hyperbolic mental image. Thank you for that.

Or it would have to go the other way, retcon the entire franchise, and have bridge crews exclusively of white, straight, human men, with Christianity as the state religion of the American Space Empire.

Am I a bad person because I want a Star Trek RPG adventure video game? I want a single ship I can deck out with gear and research trees and go on space quests...

like STO, but fun

You know they might actually do something like that if they take a trip to the Mirror universe this time around.

Basically.

the thing is they DID make a trek captain who was radically different than the previous one. Picard. Outside of some awkward early writing, they didn't shit on Jim Kirk to do it, either, dude was just a different man with different style of command and ultimately that was fine.

Like every time people raise concerns about this fucking show the crew just doubles down on their shitty attitude. WHY should they get a chance if all they have is contempt?

Sort of. Marvel's not that great an example given that what's happened is that physical sales dropping but digital sales are good and they're really just using the comics to prototype movies so they basically don't matter in terms of earnings by comparison to the film division.

Better example would be the 2016 Ghostbusters film: deliberately shat on the old fans as a marketing strategy, bombed. But then it was also a shit film. And Discovery doesn't show signs of being a good show.

As it is, I think a lot of the downsides are being overblown. Now don't count that as me defending the show, I expect it to be mediocre. But pretty much just mediocre, rather than outright awful. I expect confusion and sadness at the wasted potential more than it being genuine unwatchable garbage akin to lot of season 1 TNG and ENT.

I still have no idea why I am supposed to care about main character woman other than other characters saying she has special destiny to be special... and Star Trek really doesn't get on well with destinies to be special because it's not Star Wars (unless you count the JJ films).
The visual design is troubling because not only is it unfitting, it's distinctly unappealing. It was possible to do a visual reboot and NOT have it look that amazingly bad.

The continual stream of news of unhappy production crew/actors is pretty galling because... well even for all its troubles old star trek was known for looking after the people involved (to some degree, I mean not Babylon 5's casual fun workplace tier) and people kept wanting to come back to work on it. A lot still want to work on it. Just look at the collection of actors Axanar managed to drag together for that 20 minute documentary an easy example.

So yeah, get your Immortan Joe masks ready because I think the overall reaction in the end after shit's all calmed down is just gonna be BAH, MEDIOCRE!

Yeah don't forget that they literally had to frame the shots to keep some stations from cutting Uhura out of the shot.

Unhappy crew? I hadn't heard that, what's going down?

Could it just be that they've stopped calling on Trek's traditional source of stable actors, theatrical performers?

I think he's referencing the blurb that said the writers were ditching the no conflict rule Gene setup. So you'll see more interpersonal conflicts between members of the crew

They had Sisko punch Q and point blank say "I'm not Picard!" within the first half season of DS9. There's no one model of a Trek captain.

This video made a number of interesting points on the Sisko thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=tcSKEC5PhoA

No, you're not. A lot of us do.

Hell if I could afford the headset for Bridge Crew, from everything I've seen I'd be getting fun space adventures.

>Like every time people raise concerns about this fucking show the crew just doubles down on their shitty attitude.

Fuck logic, you're with them or against them!

And damn the fact that there's a lot of reasonable arguments, concerns, and middle-ground to be had! We must divide and be angry! No room for thought, no room for doubt, just follow and yell insults! Don't try to be reasonable, being reasonable make you the enemy of both sides and why would you want to be without a side! Fuck it, it worked great for that Ghostbusters reboot right? Right!

>DIS isn't derisive

No I meant production crew as in the people making the show. Rumour mill has it there's been people leaving or just quietly not happy with the direction of the show. Would go find examples to cite if my eyeballs didn't hurt right now, but the big one is Brian Fuller leaving.

>I think he's referencing the blurb that said the writers were ditching the no conflict rule Gene setup
That rule was enforced for all of two seasons of TNG. TOS had quite a few conflicts among the crew, including loads of racism against Spock.

Fuckin' loving this episode.

Okay, and?

People seemed interested on my tales on VOY episodes so far. I can stop if I'm being obnoxious.

Not enough in my estimation, for whatever it's worth.

You're fine. That episode is one of the few good ones.

oh, I'm not saying you should't do that. i haven't been in the General for quite some time. I didn't realize what you were doing. My bad. That one was pretty decent.

That being said I personally don't feel that voyager is the absolute fuck up everyone takes is for. I mean yeah there are some bad episodes, but all of the treks have bad episodes.

Voyager isn't so much a complete fucking disaster as it is the Immortan Joe of shows: mediocre to a fault.

It isn't ever really great and it is only occasionally really garbage, but most of the episodes range from meh to ugh, which isn't a great place to be as a show.

VOY had good actors, good directing, good effects and makeup, combined with generally bad writing and terrible production. It's full of stuff that when you read about it, makes you think it's terrible, but it's generally watchable enough on-screen, everything put together. Even "Threshold" is mostly watchable, as long as you don't think about it for even one second. Maybe watch it in another language without subs.

I think that also shows how important writing is for Trek or other tv sci-fi. You can have everything else work...

Voyager has enough good episodes that you could pack them into a pretty damn good 3 season show. It's the inconsistent quality week-to-week that sucked. You never knew whether you'd be getting a good episode or terrible episode in any given week.

My family always used to joke about "Voyager endings" in that everything would be resolved in the last 5 minutes of the episode.

Proof that Star Trek warp is, in fact, highly refine Alcubierre warp. We'll be measuring spatial distortion in "Alcs" not "Cochranes."

I doubt it. Hell, we got a space shuttle named after the show, you just watch: when we break the light speed barrier, it'll be some nerd who goes out of his way to name it either after himself or Cochrane.

They'll be named Kirks, just watch.