media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Have you ever faced a beholder? how did that go?

Does anyone put Beholders in art galleries? Is that an overused joke?

How does one remove a curse from a magic item, anyway?

In 3.5e, I faced a beholder alright. I was playing as a 20th level Wizard—unknown to me is that the Archmage I was the rival of was in fact a beholder mage. We had a battle which essentially lasted two years (in game) where we would snipe around one anothers' resources and neither of us ever actually SAW one another until I raided its fortress, feebleminded it, then teleported it into an AMF where it got slaughtered by the fighter.

Give me character motivations.
Any class.

Depends on the item (means it depends on the DM). Is the curse part of the item? Removal is probably not possible. Did the curse get added later? Ask your DM.

My GM made us a groundhog day scenario and I'm so fucking excited! Last session ended with us going back in time for the first time, revealing the groundhog day clusterfuckness and we all can't wait to fuck with alternate timelines!

First session was a standard "you were summoned by some dude in this tavern" and was a simple tavern brawl against bandits. Then we got 3 plot hooks : The guy who summoned us isn't here, where is he? The miners in the town woke some powerful being in the mountain and it's coming towards the town. Some townspeople are being kidnapped by a bandit gang, the tavern is being bullied into paying protection money, etc...

So first thing we made sure the town was safe from the big mountain unhappy being that was coming by making peace with it. Then we started looking for the dude that invited us, went to his place and he wasn't answering so we snuck in and found his body in his room. He was murdered. Uh oh. Then went back to the tavern and learned bandits had just kidnapped the tavern owner's wife and this bro is hooking us up with ale so WE'RE GOING RIGHT NOW TO THESE FUCKING BANDIT ASSHOLES NO ONE MESSES UP WITH OUR BEER BRO.

Took care of the bandits, then came back to town and time stopped... We just froze there while we watched, helplessly, as time started going backwards. We were frozen but we could see everyone around us going on about their lives backwards, we figured we went back about 2-3 days, probably to the day before we came to this town. Time unfroze and session ended there.

This whole ordeal took 4 sessions, we leveled up twice, got some loot, new skills and shit. AND NOW WE GET TO PLAY DETECTIVES WITH KNOWLEDGE OF FUTURE EVENTS AND MAYBE PREVENT A MURDER THIS IS SO FUCKING AWESOME I'M SO HYPED. Also this is my first D&D game ever and I'm so excited.

Your character's father, who was once the King's headsman, has been branded a traitor and stands accused of having killed the King's young cousin and subsequently fled the kingdom. The King's men have taken your mother and your older sibling, jailing them indefinitely as retribution. You're the only one of your family remaining but you know your father is out there somewhere, and he may have the answers you're looking for.

Old Hag makes pact with demon/fey to regain her youth.

Young orphaned cleric boy is chosen by the gods to make a pilgrimage to far off location and deliver a holy relic to a desecrated site.

Former aged soldier loses family to war. Devotes himself to protecting the little guys outside the big cities and towns who can't defend themselves.

Old lady monk who spends more time drinking than meditating winds up with a terrible hangover and partial memory loss and tries to remember how she got where she is and tries to find her way home.

Fighter who used to be an excellent sharpshooter retires to the woods after the busy city life of being a showman. Finds the simple life far too boring and decides to get back out there and reclaim her fame.

Child sorcerer whose powers awaken in uncontrollable spurts and becomes banished after causing a great fire that burned down many homes. Is searching the world now for a cure to rid himself of his uncontrollable power.

As the daughter of a noble, you are being wed in the name of politics and the day has come for your wedding day. Thankfully, all that time searching up illusion magic has granted you the ability to fake your death and make your escape. No longer bound to the societal hierarchy, you are free to see the world that was denied to you by your birth.

After your village was burned to the ground, slavers came and captured children and wounded women for trade. You were beaten and abused violent for years until a someone purchased you. You were fully expecting to be treated as a slave by them, but your buyer treated you with compassion. They raised you, educated you, and taught you to use many weapons. You were to be their personal guard, and has never treated you badly. You travel with him now, swearing to protect him for his kindness.

I was telekinesis'd, paralysed, petrified and then drop by the beholder; so not very well

Opinions?

So I made a character in a hurry for a first session and now I regret it. The problem is:
>it's the second time this happened, with the same DM
>my backstory was taken under account when he was creating the campaign plot
>I'm a coward

Should I just grow some balls? Would you allow me to change my character if you were the DM?

So far, you haven't laid down what the actual problem is. What's your regret about? How is your character defined? Is there no room to spin it around?

>sign up for 10 hour one shot on roll20 a week ago
>look forward to it all week
>forge of fury, super excited
>go to bed early night before so i can be at least 1 hour early to game
>oversleep
>an hour LATE
>apologize profusely because i hate late players and now im the late one
>they say its cool
>thank god almighty
>play for less than an hour
>in that time i realize this is easily the best DM and group ive ever had
>internet cuts out
>frantically trying to figure out whats wrong
>internet service cut off, unpaid bill
>it can't be paid immediately because my roommate pays that bill and he's at work

Now I look like the biggest asshole ever. I hate my fucking life.

every day I regret not picking wizard

I'm still new to DMing and I think I might be handing out too few magic items in my campaign.

How many magic items would you reasonably expect a party of 5 who are level 7 to have at this rate? Right now it's roughly one each and a couple of one-time use scrolls and a quaal's feather token.

what ISP even disconnects you for not paying the bill? They just rack up the late fees for months and months.

but cleric is the most fun

they should have 1 good one and a few niche ones + scrolls and unique potions

Depends on how difficult the campaign is. Also, I tend to use magic items more as a way to boost pcs that are falling behind in usefulness or when the party is struggling. 1 per pc at level 7 sounds ok to me.

It's usually OK to change details, but if he used your input when creating campaign, you shouldn't force any mayor changes - unless you really need them to enjoy the game.

Do you feel like sharing your story?

What have you picked?

>too few magic items
Magic items are not build into system, they are optional. Well, you probably want your martials to have magical weapons to overcome damage resistances at some point.
I think one per person + consumables are slightly on the generous side.

Going to play a paladin for a one-shot thing, we start at level 5. The DM said each of us could have some sort of magic item, as long as it was interesting and unique.

I wanted some cool magical armor that allowed some tactical play. Do you guys have any idea?

THIS
H
I
S

Sounds like fertile ground. What's your paladin's backstory/theme/religious order?

what do you mean by "tactical play"?
tbqh this doesn't really sound neither interesting nor unique. That said, I could be wrong. What do you have in mind?

You gain the effects of [1st level paladin buff spell] when you smite [type of enemy]

What are some cooking related feats (besides gourmand)?
Making a half-orc cook here.

Ten bob on homebrew tax collector

at the end of the day, everyone can kill

not everyone can enchant, teleport, create illusions, fly, conjure elementals

Not only that, only wizards can be WIZARDS.

>What's your paladin's backstory/theme/religious order?

Backstory is mostly bound to the setting, the DM said we're well-known slayers of evil beasts, so that's gotta be in.

That being said, the pally is going to be a noble and the armor the family heirloom. My oath is devotion, so it's mostly that simple paladin stuff. Religiously I'm gonna be a fucking zealot though.

>what do you mean by "tactical play"?
Movement or lockdown based abilities for ome battlefield control, mainly.

>tbqh this doesn't really sound neither interesting nor unique.
I'm open to different ideas.

sounds a little bland, don't you think?

My party needs a skill monkey character and I already play a bard in another game.

Is Arcane Trickster any good?

Dude, go with a cool shield you can hit and cause an effect. Like buffing your party or forcing enemies to attack you (otherwise they have disadvantage)

Great

It's not as good as rogue/wizard desu, and it's the worst rogue subclass. That being said, sure, why not? It's not going to cripple anyone if that's what you're asking, and you get a cool invisible mage hand you can do other shit with.

>Arcane trickster
>worst rogue subclass
Are you baiting, or do you care to elaborate on that?

I'm a fresh starter.
Only played 3.5 aeons ago and now I've been dragged in a 5e adventure league

Any tips for a monk-cleric build?

What's the french language of D&D?

Playing a Triton devotion paladin in a upcoming campaign, anyone have any ideas/tips/experience with playing a Triton?

Is there a rule of sum for CR when creating a spellcasting enemy? I feel like I havent seen anything that concrete in the DMG but I could just be retarded

Don't.

What do you want to accomplish by such multiclass?

Consult the Average Monster Stats by CR table in the DMG. That will tell you what a spellcaster's save DC should be and roughly how much damage they should do on average with spells, from which you can derive what level spellcaster they should be.

It wasn't my intention to use a shield, but two-handed weapons instead. About keeping the enemy's focus on me, for that I took the Sentinel feat (and there's also that compelled duel spell). But thanks for the input.

roleplaying a wise dwarf teacher in theology engraving knowledge in the bodies of his students using his bare knuckles

Modified the weapon I made. How do you like it anons?

>It's not as good as rogue/wizard desu

Ehhhh I don't know about that.

Rogue/Wizard surpasses Arcane Trickster once you start getting deep into Wizard, but by the time that happens 90% of campaigns are pretty much over.

Currently more exited for S7, but I can only appreciate any love the AL gets.

>paladin
>no shield

Sounds like you want more monk than cleric? In which case i'd suggest monk with Acolyte background. Sure, not that cool, but at least you have character that sort of works.

Or maybe fighty cleric(war domain?) - your unarmed attack will suck, but your educational slap isn't probably considered attack. (Possibly with Tavern Brawler feat, if you REALLY want to beat things with fists.)

>Or maybe fighty cleric(war domain?) - your unarmed attack will suck, but your educational slap isn't probably considered attack. (Possibly with Tavern Brawler feat, if you REALLY want to beat things with fists.)
Checking it out, thanks user

It's literally an option, user.

Probably the more common one if anything

I mean, I've never played one because they're so obscure, but from the description in Volo's Guide they seem defined by their people being involved in neverending conflict and tragedy that the other races never see or notice. Maybe a bit like Boromir at the Council of Elrond, having to remind all the pampered elves and hobbits that by the blood of his people are their lands kept safe.

Elven.

The boromir example is pretty good, I'm not sure whether to portray the race as noble crusaders against evil who fight and die to keep others safe, but expect and receive no recognition, or a race of haughty/arrogant guys who think they are better than everyone because of their fight against evil. I have tried to find as much info as possible online, but as you said they are really fucking obscure and the only dnd information I found on them is a couple of pages in the 2nd edition sea of fallen stars supplement, and like one paragraph in some other old book. The more I read about tritons, the more badass I think they are and the more I want to play this character, cant wait till my first session on thursday

I'm in a complete creative block, and I'm supposed to GM our next game. What to do?

The party has to deliver a coffin to a wake, but they're beset on all sides by hungry ghouls, resurrection men looking for a profit, and the deceased's living enemies who would gladly desecrate the corpse as a final insult.

Is your group bunch of random adventurers, or do they have any ties with the world you could exploit?

You clearly do not play high magic settings.

I'd say that each person should have a permanent uncommon magical item at that point, and maybe a wondrous item that helps the whole party.

What could it be?

Awww yiis!

I'm hyped!

Need more info, what level are your party? What setting?

>Magic items are not built into the system

Without magic items martials are shafted even harder than they already are.

Give your players magic items /5eg/.

I wanna make a warlock that's subtly/not so subtly based on western lone gunman cliches, since the laser is basically a gun.

Pretty much any UA is allowed, so I'm not sure what would be the most fitting patron, any suggestions?

Congratulations, user. Now you can finally READ THE BOOK.

I finally won't have to make stupid questions on /5eg/!

if you're playing warlock and can use UA, you should warlock/paladin multiclass so you can divine and eldritch smite at the same time

cant you just download the books for free though?

How to keep a weapon from being stolen? Do I just tie the hilt in my arm or something?
Is there something similar to the Weapon Bond feature from the EK?
I'm playing a Valor Bard.

yes

No, you should take one level of hexblade to attack with charisma, the go quarterstaff and shield with polearm master and wreck shit. Also you get shield spell for at will 25+ ac

hexblade doesn't exist anymore

Why is this a major concern for you? If you are worried it will get taken while you are sleeping, you could get a chain and padlock and chain it to your belt or something

Yes it does, the rewritten invocations doesn't preclude Hexblade

No, but sometimes I put gems and other pretty things in their eyeballs

Depends on the dm I guess, I see no reason why the updated warlock ua would invalidate the patron, it just replaces the invocations. Or does raven queen patron not exist either?

The DM suggested people might try to grab my new shiny sword.

Good idea, might use it in the game or later on

Probably random adventurers, they never ever try to work together their backgrounds nor ingame. I'm demanding a minimum background, but so far not much to work on.

Level 3 (rogue, warlock, alchemist, psionic and an one to still decide), and was thinking about Tal'Dorei or Made-up setting (for the first one I'd need a good read and maybe I don't have enough time, the second will requiere tons of searching and working on maps and enemies)

Can't grab your sword if you stab them with it first. What would be awesome would be to get a decoy sword, looks awesome but is made of cheap shiny metal. Put a magical tracker on it or something (get a mage to do this). Keep the real sword bundled up and safe, and when someone tries to steal your sword they will have a worthless piece of crap and you can hunt them down

Our party has 3 rogues...

>It's not as good as rogue/wizard desu, and it's the worst rogue subclass.

it has stiff competition, look at mastermind.

Only three rogues, or are there more PCs involved? Same archetype or different? How's working for you? Rogues working in pair so they can sneak attack every turn - now, that's what i call Power of Friendship!

I'd say start with something simple, for example.

A nearby town has been suffering from a lack of resources as the roads to the nearest city are one of the following:

Ridden with bandits

Blocked due to a natural disaster, forcing merchants to travel a more dangerous path

Being intercepted by orcs.

Something like that.

Hello fellow D&D players, my name is Mike and I come from /r/DnD.

I really like this sub and I will comment here more often but I have a few questions first:

Is there a way of upvoting and downvoting?

Why racists comments don't get banned?

Why do you guys promote piracy? Do you want your favourite game producer to go bankrupt?

Pickle Mike out.

No monster manual?

Sure but plenty of people prefer having actual books to flip through, I'm one of those people.

I can't stand reading from a pdf

really nigga

>bard/artificer multiclassed character wants to invent the keytar for their first wondrous invention
Would you allow this?

Forgot about that! Whoops.

Tough to have a PDF held open to 4 different pages as you consult shit. Of course I tend to find most of them used from acquaintances somehow.

Of course.

why are theurgist wizard and favored soul sorcerer allowed? It seems like such a stupid concept from a design perspective regardless of how good it actually is

Depends on how serious the game/campaign is, but probably.

I agree that theurgist is pretty dumb, but I personally reflavor favored soul to being magically influenced (probably in-utero) by the positive planes. Stuff like being conceived near a church or growing up in hallowed ground, that kind of thing.

Your character comes from a long line of town's guards and becomes an adventurer to escape the village he grew up in and forge his own path in life instead of just following the family tradition.

Favored Soul is sort of a classic by now, sorcs already have a "Where the fuck did this power come from?" problem and gods answer stupid questions like that. Theurgist is retarded.

I really like Favored Soul, because it fills a niche of non-combat priest. Not everyone wants to play heavily armored clerics.

>be saturday
>go to D&D
>other DMs I know call me over
>they give me the season 7 primer for AL
>tell me to read
>do so
>half of the first page has me giving a wtf look
>all 3 of us came to the same conclusion by what the wording is saying, that we have to buy the fucking tomb of annihilation book if we want to run season 7 AL cause the shit somehow runs together.

Oh this is some jewry of the highest degree. Are we wrong on this or did we read it right?

Haven't read the primer, but that does sound like something Wizards would do. Care to cite the offending passage?

post the insides