/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Song Of Roland Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/bmuy7f81459yfgv/Osprey - MAA 150 - The Age of Charlemagne.pdf
mediafire.com/file/908au5wan3nl2e6/Osprey - WAR 096 - Carolingian Cavalryman 768-986.pdf
mediafire.com/file/01168lqp6ql0j33/Osprey - CBT 024 - Longbowman vs Crossbowman.pdf
m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWmxCoTV3Y
mediafire.com/file/4cl3potx82lbpg4/Osprey - CBT 023 - New Zealand Infantryman vs German Motorcycle Soldier 1941.pdf
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48968927/
depositfiles.com/files/kq4mr0fzy
depositfiles.com/files/ukijjrd7w
mediafire.com/?wu4acidh0bpwg
mediafire.com/file/y066asuahooe4i5/Osprey - FOR 067 - Japanese Castles In Korea 1592-98.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084
mediafire.com/file/u78eq4aktwwv43q/Those Ragged Bloody Heroes.pdf
mediafire.com/file/yb6ra52su6ukes5/Hell's Bridgehead.pdf
smithsonianmag.com/history/who-had-best-civil-war-facial-hair-180951965/
businessinsider.com/best-civil-war-beards-and-mustaches-2013-11
washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/30/the-greatest-beards-of-the-civil-war-in-one-chart/?utm_term=.fee8694fdfe4
mega.nz/#F!r1k2xRyB!w8Se4qw204aRnPnRKXJb9A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

August the 15th in military history:

636 – Arab–Byzantine wars: The Battle of Yarmouk between Byzantine Empire and Rashidun Caliphate begins.
778 – The Battle of Roncevaux Pass, at which Roland is killed.
982 – Holy Roman Emperor Otto II is defeated by the Saracens in the Battle of Capo Colonna, in Calabria
1057 – King Macbeth is killed at the Battle of Lumphanan by the forces of Máel Coluim mac Donnchada.
1237 – The Battle of the Puig takes place in the context of the Spanish Reconquista pitting the forces of the Taifa of Valencia against the Kingdom of Aragon.
1281 – Mongol invasion of Japan: The Mongolian fleet of Kublai Khan is destroyed by a "divine wind" for the second time in the Battle of Kōan.
1309 – The city of Rhodes surrenders to the forces of the Knights of St. John.
1461 – The Empire of Trebizond surrenders to the forces of Sultan Mehmed II. This is regarded by some historians as the real end of the Byzantine Empire.
1511 – Portugal conquers Malacca, the capital of the Malacca Sultanate.
1599 – Nine Years' War: Battle of Curlew Pass: Irish forces led by Hugh Roe O'Donnell successfully ambush English forces.
1760 – Seven Years' War: Battle of Liegnitz: Frederick the Great's victory over the Austrians under Ernst Gideon von Laudon.
1863 – The Anglo-Satsuma War begins between the Satsuma Domain of Japan and the United Kingdom.
1914 – World War I: The First Russian Army, led by Paul von Rennenkampf, enters East Prussia.
1914 – World War I: Beginning of the Battle of Cer, the first Allied victory of World War I.
1920 – Polish–Soviet War: Battle of Warsaw, so-called Miracle at the Vistula.
1943 – World War II: Battle of Trahili: Superior German forces surround Cretan partisans, who manage to escape against all odds.
1944 – World War II: Operation Dragoon: Allied forces land in southern France.
1945 – Jewel Voice Broadcast by the Emperor Showa following the effective surrender of Japan in the World War II.

It is 1,239 years since the Battle of of Roncevaux Pass, where a large force of Basques ambushed a part of Charlemagne's army in the Pyrenees on the present border between France and Spain, after his invasion of the Iberian Peninsula. As the Franks retreated across the Pyrenees back to France, the rearguard of Frankish lords was cut off, stood its ground, and was wiped out.

In 777, Charlemagne was courted by Sulaiman Ibn al-Arabi, the wali, or governor, of Barcelona. Al-Arabi was keen to form an alliance with Charlemagne, in the hope that such a powerful ally would protect him from invasion. He assured Charlemagne that if the Frankish armies crossed the Pyrenees, they would meet with little resistance and could make considerable gains.

Charlemagne accepted the enticing offer, and marched into the Iberian Peninsula in early 778. His progress, as promised, was swift, and by the spring he had taken the strategically important city of Pamplona. His army continued south, intent on capturing the jewel in the crown, the city of Zaragoza. However, when Charlemagne reached the city his progress was unexpectedly halted. The city governor, Hussain Ibn al-Ansari was in no mood to submit, and vowed to repel any Frankish invasion.

After a tense standoff, during which Charlemagne laid siege to Zaragoza, a deal was eventually struck: Al-Ansari offered a substantial payment of gold, and the release of several prisoners, in return for a Frankish withdrawal. Charlemagne, pleased of an excuse to return to France where a Saxon rebellion was threatened, accepted the deal, and readied his forces for the march northwards.

During the retreat, Charlemagne ordered that the fortifications of Pamplona be destroyed, reducing the threat of it being used as a base to attack the Franks. This antagonised the local population, and can be viewed as a possible cause of the battle the followed.

On the night of 15 August, Charlemagne’s army found itself deep in the Pyrenees, stretched out in a long column as it negotiated the narrow Roncevaux Pass. A rearguard, commanded by Roland, one of Charlemagne’s most trusted military leaders, was tasked with keeping watch for potential enemies. However, notwithstanding the superior strength of the Franks, the rearguard came under surprise attack, and the battle commenced.

The revised version of the Annales Regni reads: 'Having decided to return, [Charlemagne] entered the mountains of the Pyrenees, in whose summits the Vascones had set up an ambush. They attacked the rearguard, causing confusion which spread to all the army. And, while the Franks were superior to the Vascones both in armament and in courage, the roughness of the terrain and the difference in the style of combat made them generally weaker. In this battle were killed the majority of the paladins that the King had placed in command of his forces. The baggage was sacked, and suddenly the enemy vanished, thanks to their knowledge of the terrain. The memory of the injury so produced overshadowed in the King's heart that of the feats done in Hispania.'

It is probable that the attackers consisted of several Basque tribes aggrieved at their treatment during the Frankish invasion. They were familiar with the mountainous terrain, and despite military inferiority, inflicted considerable losses on the exposed rearguard, as well as plundering the gold that had been taken from Zaragoza. Although destroyed, the rearguard, under Roland’s command, managed eventually to repel the Basque attackers, allowing Charlemagne to return to France and ensuring the bulk of the Frankish army remained unscathed. The battle caused numerous losses among the Frankish troops, including several of the most important aristocrats and the sack of the baggage. It was the only significant defeat that Charlemagne ever suffered in his otherwise successful military career.

Over the years, this battle was romanticized by oral tradition into a major conflict between Christians and Muslims although in fact, the Basques of the period were mainly Pagans and Charlemagne had been allied to some of the Muslims. In the tradition, the Basques are replaced by a force of 400,000 Saracens. Although Roland died in the battle with little information about him, the battle popularized him as a chivalric hero of honor in the Middle Ages. The Song of Roland, which commemorates the battle, was written by an unknown poet of the 11th century. It is the earliest surviving of the chansons de geste or epic poems of medieval France in the langue d'oïl, in what would become the French language. Together with the Knights of the Round Table in Britain, the story of Roland and the paladins have become the archetypal icons of chivalry in Europe; greatly influencing knightly culture and inspiring many Christian warriors that came after. During the Battle of Hastings in 1066, knights and soldiers under William the Conqueror, chanted the poem to inspire themselves before their fight with the Anglo-Saxons.

Wargaming Roncevaux Pass could be played in a few ways. You could try the peculiar experience of an early Medieval army fighting guerillas in rugged terrain, struggling to get the baggage train off the board before being overwhelmed. Or you could go the chanson route and make it a heroic affair modelled on the old songs, with a handful of knights holding the pass.

mediafire.com/file/bmuy7f81459yfgv/Osprey - MAA 150 - The Age of Charlemagne.pdf
mediafire.com/file/908au5wan3nl2e6/Osprey - WAR 096 - Carolingian Cavalryman 768-986.pdf

Longbowman vs Crossbowman: Hundred Years’ War 1337-1460 (Osprey Combat 24)

For centuries, the crossbow had played a key role on the battlefields of continental Europe, with mercenaries from Genoa and Brabant in particular filling the ranks of the French army, yet on the outbreak of the Hundred Years' War they came up against a more powerful foe. To master the English longbow was a labour of years, requiring far greater skill to use than the crossbow, but it was much more flexible and formidable, striking fear into the French and their allies. This study examines three battles - Sluys (1340), Crécy (1346) and Poitiers (1356) - and shows how the use of the longbow allowed England's armies to inflict crushing defeats on numerically superior forces. The longbow changed the shape of war, becoming the defining weapon of the age and wreaking havoc upon the French armies that would face it. Featuring full-colour artwork, this is the engrossing story of the first clashes between the English longbowmen and the crossbowmen of the French king on the bloody battlefields of the Hundred Years' War.

mediafire.com/file/01168lqp6ql0j33/Osprey - CBT 024 - Longbowman vs Crossbowman.pdf

I'm looking for the Mad Dogs with Guns. I've already special ordered the book as well as several minis for the game, but I could really use the PDF for convenience and for printing player aids.

I've been reading about 12th and 13th century Finland and the fights they did, it's great, Swedish crusaders (fighting as Vikings), raids by Novgorod. And as far as I see, the period is basically untouched by wargamers. The problem is, I don't have a clue what a Finnish warrior of the period would even look like (pic basically unrelated), any ideas /hwg/?

Also, what's that obscure period/war you to get into?

I genuinely love the Song of Roland, it's just so ridiculous it gets kind of hilarious at times.
>Roland kills himself by blowing a horn so hard his temples burst

The wars in South America during the 19th Century. There's some great stuff there. War of the Confederation, War of the Pacific, War of the Triple Alliance, War of Canudos...

>War of the Pacific

Great choice. There are some superb naval engagements too. Plenty of gaming in that one.

Is there a high impact autism air battle game that covers eras from the 50s-80s using a unified rules set?

I quite like it. Once played the Battle of Arica, the Chileans had a Chupilca del Diablo bonus. Best drink.

That said, my darling has to be the War of the Triple Alliance. Battle of Tuyutí is just great, it's like Waterloo but even cooler.

>Superior song of Roland coming through

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWmxCoTV3Y

I'm sorry great and wise OP, but it had to be done. I'll patiently await my keel hauling now.

I'm working on one. (although 60s - 2000s)

You could look at Harpoon, Table Air Combat, Check Your 6 Jet Age. Harpoon is pretty solid and cover ships and radar and all the fun stuff.

Air Superiority/Air Strike from Game Designer Workshop

>Actual smoke markers for Phantom
10/10

Relevant to my interests.

More A S L Modules

On M3d14 F1r3
/file/23q33qlwr1zlqo1/Operation+Watchtower.pdf

/file/nrypzs8mc32uc9a/Code+of+Bushido.pdf

/file/02ccye5sfwo4wq1/Primosole+Bridge.pdf

For the trove

ohhh Operation Watchtower...nice...

added to OP

Any kind user happens to have Wargaming in History: The American Civil War in pdf format by any chance?

Those Wargaming in History books are gold, I have battered old hardcopies of the Waterloo and Siege Warfare ones, and I think we have the Boer War one in our files. They're the sort of thing that never got scanned. There are a few copies on Ebay and so forth, though.

>Song Of Roland Edition
>not Battle of Warsaw Edition
i'm mildly triggered

I always promised I'd upload a true PDF of this if it ever showed up, and here we are

New Zealand Infantryman vs German Motorcycle Soldier - Greece & Crete 1941 (Osprey Combat 23)

In April 1941, as Churchill strove to counter the German threat to the Balkans, New Zealand troops were hastily committed to combat in the wake of the German invasion of Greece where they would face off against the German Kradschützen - motorcycle troops. Examining three major encounters in detail with the help of maps and contemporary photographs, this lively study shows how the New Zealanders used all their courage and ingenuity to counter the mobile and well-trained motorcycle forces opposing them in the mountains and plains of Greece and Crete. Featuring specially commissioned artwork and drawing upon first-hand accounts, this exciting account pits New Zealand's infantrymen against Germany's motorcycle troops at the height of World War II in the Mediterranean theatre, assessing the origins, doctrine and combat performance of both sides.

mediafire.com/file/4cl3potx82lbpg4/Osprey - CBT 023 - New Zealand Infantryman vs German Motorcycle Soldier 1941.pdf

Well we did have one around this time last year, user
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48968927/

More A S L Modules

On M3d14 F1r3

/file/hh7phkvu3fgnvfb/Operation+Veritable.pdf

/file/g7dkxobmbly1150/ASL+-+MMP+-+Boxed+Set+-+Solitaire.pdf

For trove (OP)

More goodness to come...

you can just post mediafires, as shown in and the OP posts

Is that a fake dead horse?

One user says obfuscate. Another user says don't bother. Does it really matter which way we post links?

Thanks so much, kind user!

>Is that a fake dead horse?
Yes, made out of canvas

I don't know where you're getting all these ASL goodies but I know they're definitely appreciated
We have quite the archive now

Anyone pledging this?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1561049203/1-48tactic-fast-paced-cinematic-ww2-miniature-skir

I'm kinda tempted desu.

>New Zealanders used all their courage and ingenuity...

... and still got their ass kicked.

Is it just me or are these CBT title getting more and more worthless?

Yeah, eventually I bit the bullet and ordered the ACW, Waterloo and Peninsular War books. Will get the rest as well if I like these. At approx. 10 Euros per book inc. postage to this God-forsaken Slavic hellhole, it's pretty good.

Me too, but I'm not entirely sure if I should participate...Reaper's Bones ends around the same time as well, but we'll see. Maybe I'll pledge for a starter set.

it's osprey, it was always fucking worthless aside from the pretty (but ahistorical) pictures.

The Second Anglo-Boer War
depositfiles.com/files/kq4mr0fzy

Waterloo
depositfiles.com/files/ukijjrd7w

>clearly haven't read this particular book
>whine anyway

good old Veeky Forums

Japanese Castles in Korea 1592–98 seems to be missing.

Not the contributing user, but there's a bunch of ASL stuff in this MF from the wargames request thread on 7chan

mediafire.com/?wu4acidh0bpwg

Here you go user. I've never really collected the Fortress series but they are easy to find. As always if any user is looking for a title I not in the folders I'll upload it as soon as I can.

mediafire.com/file/y066asuahooe4i5/Osprey - FOR 067 - Japanese Castles In Korea 1592-98.pdf

Thank you very much, Waterloo will be added to the files (we have the Boer War one). What a bumper thread this has been for books so far!

Okay /hwg/, with the new fervor against Confederate monuments in the US, I want to know some real history. I'm looking for sources on the American Civil War, especially the political affiliations and beliefs of those involved. I'm here because I' seeking academic sources, legitimate sources, trustworthy sources. I want to be educated, not propagandized. Can you hook me up?

Look through Ed Bearss works, they're solid research and focus heavily on the politics.

I would recommend Ken Burns' civil war documentary if you haven't seen it. Its pretty in-depth and even handed

"The Confederate and Neo-Confederate Reader" by James Loewen and Edward Sebesta.

It's a collection of PRIMARY documents in which Southern leaders, politicians, and spokesmen all say in 1860/61 that slavery is their primary reason for secession and war followed by a collection of PRIMARY documents from 1865 to 1890 where they all pretend it wasn't about slavery but was about states' rights.

It's a great overview into the proximate cause of the war AND the apologia which sprang up afterward.

>>I'll eat anything Osprey ladles into my bowl.

Good old apologists.

Don't forget to buy the Osprey with the illo of a US Civil War timberclad ram sporting a RADIO DIRECTION FINDING LOOP.

I loved that doco. When it first aired I was just getting into historical wargaming, and I had just gotten my copy of Featherstone's Complete Wargaming with his "beginner's starter kit" for the ACW. Together they were the perfect intro into gaming the period.

>tfw Ashokan Farewell
youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

>cherry picking one shitty mistake out of literally thousands of books

>>Ignoring all the thousands of others from armor to maps to OOBs because "Pictures are pretty, George."

I can't attest for the Kradschutzen side, because that's definitely not an area of expertise
But as someone who's very serious about New Zealand in World War 2, that Combat title does an excellent job of covering the lads in Greece/Crete, mainly because it draws upon the mountain of sources we have on the subject
I do like the Combat titles myself, along with Duel, because contextualizing the different sides is much better for wargamer research, and that's all I want from these books
I was waiting for the Longbowman vs Crossbowman one to start some sort of argument though

Poor little fellow. I hope the Jerries adopted him after they routed the Imperial forces.

George Cary Eggleston's Rebel's Recollections is a really good firsthand account.

' Lunching one day with Oliver Johnson, the best "original abolitionist" I ever knew, I submitted to him the question I was debating with myself, namely, whether I might write this little volume of reminiscences without fear of offending excellent people, or, still worse, reanimating prejudices that happily were dying. His reply was, "Write, by all means. Prejudice is the first-born of ignorance, and it never outlives its father. The only thing necessary now to the final burial of the animosity existing between the sections is that the North and the South shall learn to know and understand each other. Anything which contributes to this hastens the day of peace and harmony and brotherly love which every good man longs for." '

Either the Greeks ate him when the '43 famine kicked in or the Nazis shot him for aiding the enemy
RIP doges of ww2

The verbosity of those old ACW diarists is amazing, so lush and languid

I have a librivox recording of the whole thing, and it's even better aloud.

>Ashokan Farewell
>tfw just learning this on accordion
Lovely piece. Great documentary. Also good to see it parodied in american dad...

>urge to buy rising

>> 54894274

Real nice find. I got everything I'm sharing off the net from various nooks and crannies.

I also had the two WiH books found the same way. There are a lot of "hidden" places with hex & chit scans. The only ones I haven't found (yet) are the scans from Gamers-Garage.

Yeah, that's what most likely happened. I often wonder about the animals we see in various old photos. Every see the number of estimated horse casualties in WW1 & 2?

More A S L (ish) goodness

On M3d14 F1r3

/file/3j9tzvv4916tjbx/Ruweisat+Ridge.pdf

mediafire.com/file/u78eq4aktwwv43q/Those Ragged Bloody Heroes.pdf

mediafire.com/file/yb6ra52su6ukes5/Hell's Bridgehead.pdf

For trove (OP)

I'm happy someone can get some use of these shares.

Thanks mates for the recommendations so far

Cheers user! I might scan the others once I'll get them.

>I'm happy someone can get some use of these shares.
You're helping to build an almost complete collection of ASL, even just from an archival point of view that's a great achievement

I have Stuart Asquith's Siege Wargaming which I once promised to scan, and I really should follow through on that

Consider how the Germans shot every dog they encountered in Russia, after their initial experience with mine dogs
How many millions of poor comrade doggos would have been wiped out?

>I have Stuart Asquith's Siege Wargaming which I once promised to scan, and I really should follow through on that
oh man, please do, that book goes for way more than I'm willing to pay.

...i should scan programmed wargame scenarios some time

Scan everything you wankers. Scan it all. Every scan doubles your monthly wank allowance.

>Good old apologists.
Not that poster but Osprey is really hit or miss when it comes to historical accuracy/shoddy artwork.

From what I've read some periods such as Sengoku period Japan are fleshed out while medieval Chinese armaments belong in the trashbin.

I can't help but read it in a full-on Southern Gent accent in my head.

So, /hwg/, who had the best facial hair of the ACW?

Well I'm totally down for that
I just have to dig the book out from my boxes somewhere, not even quite sure where it is
But I will find it

Burnside wins on points
There's probably a scientific study to be done on ACW generals and how the ones with the craziest facial hair had the least military talent

Gen. Alpheus Williams is a stern contender

The more I look at this the more I think Hood looks like someone who would own an artisan coffee shop in Vancouver or something.

Someone should set up a slideshow quiz, "ACW General or Coffeehouse Hipster"?

Camel Artillery bump

ACW facial hair "studies":

smithsonianmag.com/history/who-had-best-civil-war-facial-hair-180951965/

businessinsider.com/best-civil-war-beards-and-mustaches-2013-11

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/30/the-greatest-beards-of-the-civil-war-in-one-chart/?utm_term=.fee8694fdfe4

>ACW facial hair "studies":
Because of course there would be

Once the Wargaming in History books arrive, I'll scan them. Or at least take photos of them, depending on the binding of the book.

pretty good finds. no map scans with them though. Added to OP

Do anyone know where I can find pdf:s of Swordpoint?

I'm trying to get my playmate into napoleonic warfare. Is there a simple hex and counter napoleonic game which I can print and slap on some cardboard homemade style?

I dunno. Maybe the PDF Share Thread on this very board? Might be a stretch though.

already checked. They just use the same links as in this thread. Thanks though for the suggestion.

PDF share thread is a bit shit for wargames, honestly.

Yeah, I figured it was a long shot. Like says, the Share Thread is more about RPGs and related stuff than wargames.

Care for another long shot? The Veeky Forums board at the chan three doors up has a wargames request thread. They may have it and, if not, you can make a request there too?

thanks.

Went there, seems like a bunch is searching for the same thing but no luck. Just have to wait and see.

Sorry. I've been sending you on wild goose chases it seems.

nah, it will emerge eventually.

There doesn't seem to be a copy of l'Art de la Guerre, Mortem Et Gloriam or To The Strongest! either. Along with Swordpoint they appear to be the most popular of the new ancient to medieval rulesets.

It will be interesting to see which order they appear.

I started with Napoleon at Waterloo. It's in the Napoleonic / Games folder of the OP

fucking games workshop wash just ruined a project of mine. Tried to darken down a rich blue colour on a vehicle and it just dried chalky, and made the previous layer of vallejo paint bubble (never seen that before). It's a resin model so I probably can't strip it safely.
Fuck you, games workshop.

>not using a tester first

Actually this is a decent time to bring up a question I've been thinking about today.

Where do you guys get your washes?

>l'Art de la Guerre
Got that on the Mega
mega.nz/#F!r1k2xRyB!w8Se4qw204aRnPnRKXJb9A

artist grade odorless paint thinner + black or brown oil paint in about a 15:1 ratio

More often just the army painter acryllic ones though

I've used it plenty before and it's been fine.