Anyone running a One Piece game?

Anyone running a One Piece game?

My roomate ran a pirate campaign for 5e that accidently turned into a one piece campaign

Storytime? Were you in it?

Yes, by accident. My group are a bunch of "pirates" who were hired to take some rich asshole to not!eldorado, and map some of the weird islands there on the way. We only realized how much it looks like One Piece when we were already in the thick of things.

So was ot entertaining or not?

It was, and still is.

Could use some details, matey. Sounds like a good time.

I just got out of a One Piece campaign that went bad, but I still wanna play in the setting.

If you're looking for setting details, then I'm afraid to tell you that my DM is fucking awful at worldbuilding.

As for actual campaign events, I'm not really sure what to say. The game has been incredibly enjoyable, but I wouldn't really call it noteworthy.

What was your pirate.

Captain Morgan Longshadow, CE selkie(merfolk) kineticist. I only realized the Captain Morgan joke after the fact. Captain Morgan's personality can be best described as 50% "legitimate" illegalist philosophy and 50% lolbertarian stereotypes.

Really, her entire character can be best described in one incident. As the party was getting into port in not!India, the dock guards boarded our ship, the Queen Fred's Revenge, and demanded to search our hold for contraband goods.
Immediately, Morgan get's aggressive and confrontational, flat-out refusing the guards and threatening them with violence if they dared search her precious ship. The party is starting to get worried, and are preparing for combat; they don't know what Morgan could possibly have in the hold that she doesn't want the guards to find.
Eventually, they're able to restrain Morgan before she makes the situation worse, and the guards are able to perform their search, where they find... nothing. There wasn't anything even remotely illegal in any of the cargo holds.
Morgan was just so upset with the idea of government dogs searching her precious ship, not because she had anything to hide, but simply because of the principle.

Morgan's current motivations, besides getting rich and laid and famous (in that order), is the genocide and/or misfortune of the elven race. This mostly stems from my own distaste at my GM from cucking morgan's character with an elf. So far, the most Morgan has been able to do towards this end is desecrating the graves of over 1000 elves and nailing their skulls to the main-mast, although that has more to do with hiding the awful fucking pepto-bismol paintjob it came with.

That's pretty great. I like the characterization, though I dunno how the other players feel.

My character was "Stowaway" Cheshire, professional Stowaway/Daredevil with a habit of passing out signed photographs of herself. Wound up wanted by Cipher Pol for unknowingly becoming a revolutionary spy. Cartoonishly flexible and can see perfectly in the dark. Practices Stowaway Kenpo, fond of poking people in the eyes.

The other players were fine with it. They're the kinds of players who think that a natural 20 does anything, if you know what I mean.

I'm currently in a one piece game, though we only had one session before summer caused a break. Our DM was going to use some old one piece system but we ended up using 5e instead with extra rules for Devil Fruits.

I'm playing a monk with a Gambling devil fruit. Currently only able to create a dice drone that shoots bullets for 1d6 rounds, as well as capture people and objects into cards.

Other player is playing a knife throwing rogue with a wolf Zoan fruit. We're both bounty hunters. It's been pretty fun for one session and I'm hoping the game picks back up once uni term starts.

bumping

I been running a One Piece campaign using the Mutants and Masterminds rules. The campaign started in South Blue, where the players ended up taking down a group of pirate/slavers whom the Marines had been turning a blind eye towards. Then they tangled with the Marines, killing the corrupt Captain. They spent a bit more time there going around to various islands.

After that, the players moved into the Grand Line, visiting a few different islands and causing or solving problems along the way. Some of the islands were from the show, but some were brand new. I had the characters travelling a few months behind the Straw Hats. They're getting ready to move into the Grand Line now, and there's a big argument between the players over what to do. Three of them want to join Blackbeard's fleet but the other two want to stay independent.

Three of the players have Devil Fruits, two don't. The first has the Legendary Zoan: Bakaneko fruit, which lets her character turn into a twin-tailed cat, get a cat/human hybrid form, suck out other people's life force and set herself on fire. The next player has a the Oak Tree Paramecia, which lets his character turn into a tree and gives him limited control over wood and plants. The last character has the "sticky sticky" fruit, which lets him stick things he touches together and makes it nearly impossible to pull them apart. He's really clever and creative with how he uses it.

The other two players are just straight up fighters. One went with a cowboy theme and uses twin pistols, while the other has more of a beserker/viking thing going on and fights with a spear, shield and axe.

>Naruto fan here. Never read One Piece.
I've actually played in a couple games with friends were we were a squad of Chunin Shinobi and it was cool. It's a very open ended system in terms of making up spells.

Getting to the point, what kind of things would you have to chose from in terms of powers/ techniques in a literal One Piece setting? I though each person's ability was completely unique. I'd love some character concepts if you're willing to share.

Everyone having a unique power isn't a law of the setting, just a stylistic choice. The exception being Devil Fruits, as each one is literally unique. Similar powers exist though.

Devil Fruits exist in 3 categories: Zoan (transform into an animal or monster), Logia (transform or produce a substance. Become immune to conventional weapons), and Paramecia (Random other stuff). All of them make you paralyzed if you touch too much seawater.

Other than that, you can come up with your own fighting style. Sword techniques, exotic weapons, and themed martial arts are popular choices. Literal Ninja with jutsu are confirmed to exist, although they cannot leave their home country unless ordered.

The last choice is to learn Haki, which is essentially limited psychic power. You can apply armor to yourself or possessions, get premonitions, or knock people out with a glare.

Devil Fruit work like Stands in JJBA, the powers are "Whatever crazy bullshit you can think up"
Only 1 iteration of each fruit can exist at one time, but there's no in universe limit to the number of fruit types that I'm aware of.

Beyond that though there's an assortment of weird mystical swordsmanship moves and martial arts that PCs would be able to use if they didn't want 2spooky4me fruit powers.

>I though each person's ability was completely unique.
for devil fruit users this is the case.(a specific kind of superpower granted by a certain object)

but for example, if you professionally build sailing boats you could use pic related to craft anything from rope(its a marlin spike a tool used a lot in seamanship) in an instant. or pull infinite rope from their sleeves.

a cook can make rock-slime into not just an edible but a DELICIOUS edible.

a swordsman of sufficient skill can cut rocks with a wooden sword.

really it depends on what the person is good at, they gain powers associated with that.

>I though each person's ability was completely unique
All devil fruit powers are unique to that person because every devil fruit is unique, although there are lots of other options for non devil fruit users. Similar to what all these powers could be mixed and matched as you please (ie a Haki user swordsman, a devil fruit user martial artist, a gadget user who also has superhuman strength, etc.)

So you have the Devil fruit powers. Probably the main source of supernatural ability. You have Haki, that's psychic powers. Swordsmen would have sword techniques. Snipers probably different ammo.

Besides devil fruits, the main source of variety in powers lies in the Grand Line. Every island you come across is a separate world, in a way, so they can also have things native to them - as an example, an island in one piece had Dials, which were shells that could amongst other things store gas and kinetic force inside them. If you visit the place and find some such objects, there's no reason not to utilise them on your arsenal.

Beyond that, the governing power, World Government, also teaches the military branches like the Marines certain techniques like running on air, and certain races can have their own attacks, like Fishmen who have their own Fishmen Karate.

Quick, post character and adventure concepts.

The players sail to a new island only to find themselves welcomed with Open Arms by the tribal natives. The player captain happens to look just like another captain who came years before. He planted a giant flower that saved the native ecosystem and brought beauty to the island. The old captain said they would come back once it finished growing.

Said old captain arrives the next day. What do?

This shit sounds crazy.

it's a long-running high power-level anime.

this shit seems standard to me...

Well, tbf, Naruto is the only manga I've ever finished/ Anime I've watched to near completion, so maybe this is the standard for this stuff.

I've dabbled in JJBA because it was a meme, but yeah it sounds kinda crazy.

That's the appeal of One Piece. The world is super huge and super varied. Just exploring is a major source of entertainment.

Our 5e campaign is inspired by one piece. It is set in a pseudo Scottish island archipelago called Pictavia. There is plenty of good Scottish lore and myth to draw upon. (Blue men of Minch, water kelpies, sea monsters like the Loch Ness monster) We rotate DMs so having islands and a mobile homebase is really helpful. Plus orc pirates and naval battles are so much fun.

my favourite naval combat moment:
>friend is dragon born paladin
>our ship and orc raider ship sailing side by side and fighting, firing cannons etc
>friend jumps in water and tries to swim round back side of orc ships
>forgets ships are moving
>is very surprised when ships continue moving and leave him behind in the open sea
>has to take off plate mail and drop a bunch of heavy items to swim after failing multiple exhaustion checks
>Derail whole time schedule while Druid spends hours and hours in seagull form looking for him.

Naruto ties magic powers with a mundane school life/culture that's recognizable to the Japanese teens that are it's main audience.

One Piece has no such realistic trappings. The characters are too busy having adventures to worry about school and class, too busy attending royal feasts to visit ramen shops, too busy making unbreakable life and death bonds to pine after the hot girl next door, too busy literally breaking the law whenever they want to get their parents approval.

I guess that's the appeal, that they're not so much defying modern concerns as modern concerns don't exist in their setting. That's why it seems so insane.

>get their parents approval.
parents?
in One Piece?

Poorly phrased. I mean they don't try to get their parents approval because they are too busy doing crimes.

Besides what the other anons said, the further you go into the Grand Line the more exotic stuff you find. Eventually there are people with bizarre curses and biology, subhuman races like the Minks and Long-arms, advanced technology like (Piratey) cybernetics, exotic creatures and substances found only on a particular island, and more. Honestly, you can do whatever you want as long as it's wacky and you justify it with some special biology/training/technique. One of the early villains was a hypnotist, and another could change people's moods by painting them different colors.

bump

How about you provide some discussion, user?

I really wanna join a game but have no one near me that's interested in the setting.

perhaps go to the gamefinder thread?

maybe write a campaign in case you find players but no GM

post a tear-away ad in your local game shop?