Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_movies
1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_Television
1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_anime
1d4chan.org/wiki/Video_games
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Firefly?

Is captain Alatriste Veeky Forums approved?

I don't watch anime, is there an alternate list?

>Lupin III and the Castle of Cagliostro

Mah brutha of chocolate complexion

Hard Candy

>Wanting people to meme around at the game table
The best players are the ones who haven't seen a film in their lives.
Books, on the other hand:
>Frank Herbert's Dune
>LotR trilogy
>Discworld novels. All of them
>The Bible
>1984

>lupin III and the castle of cagliostro
Only one on OP's list I haven't seen; worth it? Bear in mind, I like Lupin the III, I just never went out of my way to watch the movies.

How Veeky Forums related is it?

>not trusting your players

come on, user

and in any case, movies can inform your roleplaying in good ways

Inigo Montoya is probably the most Veeky Forums character of all time

simple gimmick that's easy to work into the story
>overly polite spanish swordsman

quick backstory that gives a goal
>a six fingered man killed my father with this sword, I'm going to kill him

goal is simple for the DM to work with
>six fingered man is the dragon to the bbeg

If you pardon me being the requisite "the book is better" guy for a second--the book of The Princes Bride. It's got both more kernals of classic adventure novel fair, and more cheeky subversions of it. Not unlike Discworld's treatment of fantasy cliches.

Watch Mononoke anyway (also Nausicaa). Confirmed good by my friend with a very low tolerance for anime.

Hmm. I could barely tolerate Cowboy Bebop back in the day, I just don't like anime or jap culture. Was hoping people had some advice for my Veeky Forums kino without weaboo nonsense

>"the book is better"
is applicable for everything in except maybe the Dicsworld movies

>Conan the barbarian
>Legend
>Dark Crystal
>Ice & Fire
>Krull
>Star Wars (4-6)

and for less fantasy based stuff

>The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
>Guardians of the Galaxy
>Jaws
>Star Wars (1-3)

Which one are you talking about?

Also saw two of these (I just can bring myself to watch lotr)

Record of Lodoss War for how you should play D&D
Slayers for how you actually play D&D

Stranger Things not because D&D meme, but the setting.

>weeaboo nonsense
>jap culture

Mononoke is classic fantasy in medieval japan, if you don't like it cus "muh weeb shit", then you're just being autistic at that point

Lupin is literally an action/spy movie about a french dude saving a girl trapped in a castle, there's nothing weeb about it, other than the random dude with a katana (but he's badass anyway)

>except maybe the Discworld movies
but the books are clearly better there, their main strength is TP's narration

>Muppet Treasure Island
>Treasure Planet

I maintain that these are the two best adaptations of the book, which incidentally is my favorite book and should be on Veeky Forums's required reading list.

FUCK the BBC miniseries. It was awful.

its been ages since i watched treasure planet loved that movie as a kid

>i dont watch anime
threadly reminder that anime is a medium, not a genre.

your a good person

Anything by Studio Ghibli is on a completely different level compared to what you usually think of when you think of anime. It's actually good. The animation, the writing, the music, it's all actually really good. You will likely never see animation done better than what Ghibli does unless you really look for some obscure stuff. I say this as a person who usually hates anime and is a tremendous Westaboo when it comes to animation.

Holy shit, I gotta rewatch Muppet Treasure Island. I watched that shit like 12 times as a kid, 10/10 adaption. Similarly, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a stupidly good pirate movie. Almost underrated, actually.

Wrong on all accounts. Watch some real anime movies first.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_movies

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_Television

We just had a thread about this and an user updated the above links accordingly.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_anime

1d4chan.org/wiki/Video_games

Yes.

>If you say anything about animu, I will not hesitate to kill you..

dude ur on Veeky Forums. if you dont like anime something r/DnD might be more your speed

much that would be Veeky Forums approved would be Veeky Forums approved

Event Horizion

I'm not even a huge fan of anime, and I think that a large portion of the tropes and cliches that run rampant in the medium are poison to good media.

All I said was that refusing to watch Princess Mononoke, which is practically universally considered a good movie even to western audiences, just because
>muh animu

is grade-A autism

Tim Curry was absolutely Golden in that.
Professional Pirate in particular is a great Villainous song.

>tfw You've already seen it all and nothing else can come close to making you happy as you were when you first watched them

>Last Unicorn

fuck, how did I not add that to the list?

>princess mononoke, lupin III and the castle of cagliostro
boring trash

>No farscape
Scorpius, get the chair.

not him, but I avoid anime, just like I avoid radio.

>It's actually good for anime
ftfy
compared to regular film it's 5/10
Anime in general is just a medium that is suffocating on feces, so anything with a modicum of talent behind it looks much better in comparison.

You refuse to get into automotive vehicles of any kind then?

>The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
>Jason and the Argonauts
>The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
>Highlander
>Big Trouble in Little China

Brotherhood of the Wolf. Is it an action film? A romance? A period drama? I don't know, but it is really good.

Stardust is one of my guilty pleasure films and very Veeky Forums.

I'm pretty sure Stardust is perfectly acceptable viewing.
Mark Strong is God Tier in that one

Speaking of Farscape, Lexx is also pretty great

>ctrl+f "ghost in the shell"
>0 results

If you want some of the quintessential cyberpunk media, this along with blade runner are some of the best.
(also it ought to be an exception to the "I don't watch anime" people because of how high quality it is)

Its pretty something, fun.

Movie is historically Veeky Forums as fuck but I didn't like it. Can inspire dozens of campaigns tough.
Viggo has been very unlucky with his roles after LOTR - he's good, the movies are mostly forgettable.

Not cyberpunk and I would recommend only the manga or SAC (but i would recommend it very much). Oshii is kinda of an hack, he's not the guy that put out Beautiful Dreamer.

Roger Erbert put Spirited Away in his 100 best movie ever list. Not saying you have to love it, but all this it's kinda autistic.
>and he was wrong, Kiki is better
>well, he also liked Grave of the Fireflies which is one the few movies that genuinely make me angry

Based Ritsuposter is based.

I'd add Master & Commander (tough honestly this time the books are uncomparable), Beauty and the Beast (the Cocteau one, comparable in scope to The Last Unicorn), Apocalypse Now (it's a modern Odyssey and has multiple characters), Lady Snowblood (Japan is all about moe, right? Not sure what other vengeance movies are this visceral, tough you gotta take the special effects like something from a very different age), Aleksander Nevtsky (this is how you villain, my dear friends).

Was thinking of a meta one, Aguirre Wrath of God, the ending is VERY Veeky Forums in its own way.

You are retarded if you dont't think the Oshii movie isn't anime kino. Also Grave of the Fireflies is fucking great, even if Spirited Away is overhyped trash. If anyone is a hack, its Miyazaki, not Oshii.

Miyazaki isn't bad for making retarded movies that look amazing. Also has some great other things which should not be enumerated in the name of peace.

Oshii went out the other end for GitS2.

What? It certainly is. I just don't like it (not hate it either, simply it's a lot of pseudophilosifical bullshit with some cool scenes - basically what he goes on doing to this day. Sky Crawlers of all things make me chuckle at an Anno comment: "well, I liked the dog")

Grave of the fireflies is technically good if a little more unispired that you would think, but it's unethical. You don't manipulate children with false analogies.

>Roger Erbert put Spirited Away in his 100 best movie ever list
So? Roger Ebert is wrong as often as he is right.

>Not saying you have to love it, but all this it's kinda autistic
Why? I really don't see the appeal. The structure of the story is just very generic and the characters are lackluster.
Compare it to Cowboy Bebop, that's a good anime. Chihiro and Mononoke just feel like emotional pleb bait. It's the Disney of anime, high technical quality, acceptable but bland plots and lack of depth.
Grave of the Fireflies is literally just >muh feels
and anyone who likes it should be embarrassed.

How about go fuck yourself and find your own list you fucking idiot?

>Why? I really don't see the appeal. The structure of the story is just very generic and the characters are lackluster.

I don't wanna susbstain your autism, user. Go on on your reddit.

>No Labyrinth

>I don't have any arguments: the post
thanks for the input, retard. Interestingly enough, you're the one using reddit spacing. Maybe you should fuck off.

>and for less fantasy based stuff
>Star Wars
>Fantasy
Star Wars is Science-Fiction.

>Roger Erbert put Spirited Away in his 100 best movie ever list. Not saying you have to love it, but all this it's kinda autistic.
He also has The Great Dictator, Jaws and Schindlers List on there.
Ebert is literally plebbit tier.

What did he mean by this?

>don't manipulate children with false ideologies
No ideology is "false" by definition you fucking trog. Where did your dad touch you?

>I just don't like anime or jap culture

I'm sorry you have shit taste. Would you prefer rap music and moral degeneracy?

>i have never watched spirited away or mononoke but i will shit on them like i have watched them
you should be ashamed of yourself. i do agree that ghibli is the disney of anime but mononoke at the very least is a good film, even by miyazaki standards.
>anyone who likes grave of the fireflies should be ashamed
how does it feel to be so autistic you become a cum guzzler?

>Anime
>not degeneracy

>Star Wars is Science-Fiction.
Not sure if bait or ignorant of long standing arguments about genre in fiction.

Anyway Star Wars is science fantasy because it's a setting that is primarily about two ethically opposed orders of space wizards manipulating those around them into a war. The Force is magic, ergo fantasy.

>but mononoke at the very least is a good film
Why? Elaborate without resorting to appeals to authority.

>how does it feel to be so autistic you become a cum guzzler?
If you're impressed by cheap emotional bait you should just go back to watching children's movies.

>discworld
neck yourself

Oh, it is, when facts are conflated with fantasies.

They're all great movies. Only subhumans connect low number of seers to quality, or viceversa.

>empire of the sun is better than Schindler's tough

How is pedophilia, EllenPage and cutting genitals(though players tend to be Guantanamo tier with their handling of torture on prisonner) have to do with ttrpg

Krull
Dragonslayer
The Dark Crystal
Conan the Barbarian
The Neverending Story

Use of animation, character development az the mc descends into the curse of the demon, worldbuidling, an interesting combination of western themes and japanese folklore, and the first use of environmentalism and the value of nature/life in a miyazaki work before it became overplayed

Kingdom of Heaven and War of the Arrows

Please state specific examples as to how and why.

Mononoke's not even bad but I saw the english dub once and its awfulness and expensiveness still haunts me.

>dub
thats where you went wrong senpai

I was hyped for the movie when I saw the pitch but I was really disapointed with it wasnt even because of the shit CGI of the beast because it didnt bothered me much
I disliked the main actor acting, his relation with the main girl was not interesting and the story overall was disapointed
Though the costumes and atmosphere was absolutly fantastic

>Kingdom of Heaven
Great movies but make sure to watch the director's cut, the theatrical version is utter shit

The theoretical possibility of a nonshit dub keeps me going back for more punishment. It was big studio with big money and big name actors.... maybe it could have worked. It did not work.

>Great movies but make sure to watch the director's cut, the theatrical version is utter shit
That goes for pretty much all movies. The only time you don't watch the Director's Cut is for the Star Wars films.

>Mononoke's english dub
>awfulness

??? mononoke-hime's english dub isn't particularly bad, it's average as fuck

Billy. Bob. Thornton.

I mean Minnie Driver was also pretty bad but not exceptionally so.

>They're all great movies
They're not. They have above average cinematography for their time, but plots and scores are painfully o.k. Probably the best one is Schindler's List and that is carried by some good editing and the fact that Liam Neeson is great when properly directed.

>Only subhumans connect low number of seers to quality, or viceversa
Good thing I don't. I compare them to better movies. Most of the shit on Ebert's list are movies that reveal absolutely nothing on repeat viewings. No hidden nuances. No great performances to immerse in. Honestly, the movies on his list that you can actually watch multiple time are the fucking cult classics like Lebowski and Star Wars. There's only like 10 good movies on there and they are all quite low down.

>Use of animation
Very vague, what do you mean?

>character development az the mc descends into the curse of the demon
>melodramatic bitching is now character development
did you like anakin in the prequels?

>worldbuidling
literally babbies first asian mythology. Derivative as fuck.

>and the first use of environmentalism and the value of nature/life
>muh nature
has always been and will always be a shitty topic.

>t. typical /tv/ poster
if you dont like anime you can get out of Veeky Forums

>literally wizards swinging swords at each other

>sci-fi

lol okay user

>What is more likely is that while they were in their pods, the primarches did not actually have physical form, being warp stuff that came into shape resembling the local lifeforms.
Cowboy Bebop is good because it has amazing plot development and depth, expressed both through plot and strong visuals carried by above average animation

Redline is pure eye-candy, you can pause at any moment and just drink in the details.

Miyazaki movies are bland shit and only retards like them to appear nuanced.

>i dont watch anime
>i dont watch japanese animation

there you go

>site has been divided into weeaboo and non weeaboo boards for well over a decade, despite the initial conception
>Weeaboos still use this argument
What did he mean by this?

>Billy. Bob. Thornton.

Okay...? That's one voice actor among like, dozens. Yes, Billy Bob Thornton completely phoned in his work on Mononoke-hime and he sounds like he belongs in a different movie altogether, but how the fuck does that ruin the entirety of the dub?

And Minne Driver did a serviceable job. Fuck off, you're just a contrarian. There's actually bad dubs out there and you say a critically-acclaimed film like Mononoke has an awful dub?

if I had known the kinds of elitism I would bring out in Veeky Forums than I never would've made this godforsaken thread

>derivative as fuck
lol ok, give me some examples of the iron age/ spirit world setting used in mainstream media before 1996

even if you give me a list of 50 it's a stupid fucking point to make

>star wars has its main character wear white and its main villain wear black as a reference to western films
>derivative as fuck, 0/10

Some of the voices were merely wooden, Minnie Driver was slightly less than servicable in my opinion but it wouldn't have ruined a movie on its own. Billy Bob was atrocious though and basically enough to bring it all down around him.

Claire Danes was actually pretty good from what I remember.

>Cowboy Bebop
>amazing plot development

ohshitnigger what the fuck are you talking about?

it's literally
>random filler episode
>"gee I wonder where the villain from my backstory is"

>final episode
>OH SHIT BITCH HE'S HERE

Ghibli is the most normie anime there is. The director frequently criticizes much of the current anime industry for being self-fellating and out of touch with reality.

The Great Escape, because you've got to know how to escape from the enemy, and do it with style.

>lol ok, give me some examples of the iron age/ spirit world setting used in mainstream media before 1996
it's literally just japanese folklore

>star wars has its main character wear white and its main villain wear black as a reference to western films
Exactly, it's a reference, not an outright copy.

Imagine if someone makes a generic vampire movie. Just: there's a vampire, he does vampire stuff, gets staked at the end. No twist on it. No clever execution. That's what Mononoke does. Or if someone makes a Tolkien copy, see Eragon. The only difference is, you don't know the source material so you're blown away by japanese spirituality 101. It's like the crosses in Evangelion

>It's like the crosses in Evangelion
Not being able to see the forest for the trees?

You mean in Grave?

Well, basically Takahata wanted to make sure 1980s kids wouldn't grow up as "irresponsible" as their older teenager brothers and sisters were, and also that shit. Or were tought to, I honestly don't know if the bad behaviour that certainly japs tought was going with young people that days was real or not. But he clearly was sincere, that's not the issue.

This is already a pretty debatable idea. Kids need respect as anyone, and if you want them to stop doing something they're generally good enough to undestand way. But still, that's not the problem.

The problem is that he didn't do a cautionary tale about "real" 1980s kids.

He said "you should respect your elders" by having 1940s kids behaving carefree like 80s ones. Wich basically didn't happen (no, it doesn't AT ALL in the book).

He didn't characterize them at all (tell me ONE specific thing about Seita and Setsuko): that's the cheapest way. You want the viewers to empatize with them, not them to be compelling characters. There is actually no real conflict, most tellingly perhaps: it's a collection of bad thing that happen because Seita is an idiot and can't get that good times will end. You know they're gonna die and why, you can't care for their struggles. It's literally just crying, without a catharsis.

The perhaps most striking thing to me is the picture of Setsuko standing up to viewer and doing the salute. She wouldn't do that, it's out of the story, not even just out of the character. Bascially he's telling us that not only there is no story, just a message, but that message is "think of your parents".

Even if that message made sense (parents are right because they suffered? Really, Takahata? Who are you shitting more, adults or kids?) it's the perfect telling. She's not a soldier, she didn't go to war or play that. The story is meaningless, literally.

>not rewatching shit like Armacord or Nosferatu

Come on dude, at least put something on that bait.

To add: an honest director could do two things.

1) movie about 1980s, kids behave like real kids/teenagers, end badly (possibly 'cause economy changes, whatever), yadda yadda. It is hard-handed, but whatever, the moral here would be anyway.

2) You could make viewers empatize with 1940s kids by portraying them honestly.
BUT that wouldn't mean they're "right" by itself

Sorry for the rant. That movie makes me angry.

False analogies?

Woot you go girl
Yes he was a fag

SW isn't scifi because of psychic powers? Holly fuck everyone shut up genre Jesus is here to save us.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy

Science fantasy versus science fiction

Distinguishing between science fiction and fantasy, Rod Serling claimed that the former was "the improbable made possible" while the latter was "the impossible made probable". As a combination of the two, science fantasy gives a scientific veneer of realism to things that simply could not happen in the real world under any circumstances. Where science fiction does not permit the existence of fantasy or supernatural elements, science fantasy explicitly relies upon them.

You know what actually plays out as a good long-term campaign. Yu Yu Hakusho. A good 4 person party. The whole show plays out like a campaign

I liken it to Space Opera but Space Fantasy works as well.

Well you're gay or something.
I would consider SW light SciFi because the force is so toned down and relatively weak. They didn't dbz a star destroyer, it's just psychic abilities rarely useful out of melee range.
Again you're right and gay.

>Dog Soldiers

For your standard group operating game against the supernatural.