EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Fake Commander" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Full C17 Decklists:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: If you could have any creature as your commander, what would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hit-our-opponents-draw-some-cards/
starcitygames.com/article/34751_What-If-Banned-As-A-Commander-Came-Back.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Thread Question: If you could have any creature as your commander, what would it be?

Soulfire Grand Master

>test deck on xmage
>55 lands
>mana screwed every time even after mulligans

What do you think of Mirri? Would she work as a commander, even if you don't play it as an equipment deck?

stax

I have a disproportionate love for this card. The ability to dodge almost all land top decks is amazing, and using lands that search the library feels great to get more chances of playing a land off the top. The only card that comes close is the new Vizier of the Menagerie from Amonkhet, because the top card stays hidden.

>If you could have any creature as your commander, what would it be?
Grisslebrand XDXDXDXDXD

this while getting as many creatures on the board as you can for fast damage. concordant crossroads and hunting grounds are your friends

>creatures
no just keep mirri up, they won't be able to block her and while oyu have your whole stax package up, you can effectively lock the game down and win

I can't keep my Sisay deck from trying to do a billion things. I try and make it a token deck and then I accidentally stax myself, but not before forgetting I put a bunch of voltron shit in there too.

I just want a fun little toolbox with a wincon.

why not use it as intended? legendary tribal with some good strong cards? its not that hard. if you want tokens do something like trostani

>I have a disproportionate love for this card
>disproportionate
you me and everyone else playing green
its as much of a staple as sol ring or SDT

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Do the legends end up doing anything on their own? I'm not sure it's enough good stuff to power trough a tuned deck.

Putting together a Sidar/Tymna hatebears combo deck for an unknown but supposedly pretty competitive group. I pretty much threw in every hatebear/staple I could think of and whittled it down from there. Now I just need to cut 19 more cards, but I'm not sure which. Anyone care to help? List is at tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hit-our-opponents-draw-some-cards/

go on edhrec then

I have a Sram voltron deck which runs Second Sunrise, is Teferi's Protection just a straight upgrade to this card or are there arguments to keep sunrise?

Sunrise triggers ETB effects, phasing doesn't

Krark-Clan Ironworks and sac based effects combo with Sunrise, if you don't run those and has it only for protection, maybe switch over to Protection.

id rather play faith's reward desu just because it only effects you

>Thread Question: If you could have any creature as your commander, what would it be?

Magister of Worth. I love the art and what she does.

>Sidar Tymna
>not Anafenza
>no Authority of the Consuls
Why bother?

She works best as a go wide commander and soft-control/hatebears.

SDT?

Well I guess its time to try and grab one or two on the cheap after the precons are released then.

Divining top

They do when Paradox Engine is legendary and leads to hilarious and easy infinite combos.

Speaking of Paradox engine, it actually makes shu yun work.
Its a 5mana omniscience basically

Because drawing cards is a good thing for a combo deck to do. Also, Authority is shit, especially with Kondo.

My girl

Infinite turns easily. Would be banned in an instant.

i always thought it was a dude

How

No easier than Narset.

While the precons themselves are not so good out of the box, is Arahbo a decent commander? I feel oddly inclined towards making a cat deck and like his art

Fair enough, I guess my pet card isn't as unknown as I thought. EDHrec says there are 14596 decks containing Oracle of Mul Daya. Is there any way to determine goes many decks are running G?

He's good for 1v1, but he's the kind of commander who will die in the long game after taking out one or maybe two players. You'll need hefty backup in the 99.

Any free effect is guaranteed to be good, you could just run selesnya beatdown stax and im pretty sure itd be real good just because of the free effect. Kinda like oloro but more impactful

NOOO
DONT DO IT!
its a trap

>Swing and hopefully chain turns, requires ways to either cycle your turn spells back or a large amount of turn spells

>Fucking 4 mana buyback on any time walk effect, effectively a 2-card infinite turn combo where one piece is always in the command zone, never needs to swing, and the other piece can basically be one of the ~10 copies of the effect in the game

Show me where the Narset deck gave you such wrong notions. There's a reason people are worried about Taigam Turns, and that's with only rebound after he attacks. Now imagine never having to put your commander in danger (combat), not needing haste, and again that redundancy I've mentioned above.

SFG would blow the doors off Narset, user. And I stand by my opinion that it would be banned VERY quickly.

How many Processor Eldrazis should I have in Scarab God? Does Lazav work with Processors like I think he does?

Quoted the wrong post. That's what I get for phone-posting at work.

It took months for Leovold to get the banhammer user.
I think you should rethink your assertion.

Your combo is shit and should have Hulk to turn it on. Consuls hoses go wide strats and is entirely asymmetrical.

Anyone have any luck with Subversion, Retreat to Hagra or Polluted Bonds?

How do you think he works?

The time period wasn't the focus of my argument, the focus was the power of SFG. I think that it would be banned, sure there would be a testing period as there was with Leovold, but I still think it'd be banned. It's just too readily abused with next to no investment.

Eternalize something with Scarab, then Process it back to the yard and have Lazav become it again?

What would happen if the rules committee banned the new Eminence commanders on the grounds that they don't think stuff like Eminence fits the format's spirit? Like almost immediately after the set's release?

Would WotC try to take over the rules committee?

Lasav seems pretty clear in its wording. Moving a creature card from exile into a graveyard meets the requirement of "whenever a creature card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere"

Hulk didn't occur to me. Thanks. I'm still doubting Authority though; I don't think the go-wide matchups need much shoring up between Sidar, Stoneforge, and wraths.

I was actually just thinking about posting about this. I seriously think that WotC would take control of EDH away from them simply because it would potentially hurt their sales and make them look bad if their brand new product meant to get new players into the game got banned. Sheldon likely can't do shit about any of the new commanders from Commander sets.

Nice, would you say Cryptic Cruiser is worth it in a deck with Training Grounds or is it too jank?

While I don't think it's totally unlikely, that would be an incredibly drastic move. On top of that, enforcing an official, inflexible banlist on an almost entirely casual format seems like a logistical nightmare.

Who here likes the C17 decks? I haven't played in a while, might just start getting back into it, though. Might pick up the Wizards one, but the decklist looks kind of shitty.

I think they'd at least step in and force Sheldon to unban them. If they did that, Sheldon would lose a lot of credibility (that he already has little of) in the eyes of players. There's a certain amount of trust that needs to be maintained between WotC and the players, and banning the face cards of a new product meant for new and casual players would not bode well for that trust.

is sheldon actually planning on doing this?

>implying Sheldon isn't shown the commanders months before they're released

Is the impression that all the Shards of Alara charms are more worth while in Ramos than the Tarkir ones fair? They seem better than the Dragon charms too.

I kind of want to run 15, 10 or 5 and not mix and match.

id give him props for having the balls to do it
I would hope they would give it time to test before doing something in a knee jerk fashion

Why not mix and match the best? Abzan Charm is a draw-two or an automatic five counters. Bant is a versatile answer, as is Crosis's. Grixis and Jund are pretty decent as well.

No, the RC pussyfoots around banning cards. They have this moronic idea that if they banned one thing they'd be required to ban every card that someone might not like.

the RC doesn't seem to pussyfoot that much around banning commanders to be honest.

Leovold was banned despite not really being a T1 commander, it was more that his playstyle was unfun for everyone involved. He was even designed for commander or tiny leaders or something.

Kokusho was banned for a long time despite being sort of weak.

Braids, Cabal Minion is banned even though she's not really broken, but rather fast mana is.

Ok, does anyone else notice that ultra pro's light blue lines of products are consistently off point? The light blue eclipse sleeves I recently got have nowhere near the amount of "stifled" back that the other colors have. The light blue regular sleeves I got years ago had the worst shuffle feel while other colors still felt nice. Even the satin tower has a noticeable different feel to it.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Any opinions on pic related? Could I get away with 4 color goodstuff as a deck?

Volrath players: how many fatties do you run? Are you all-in on the Voltron theme or do you pack some reanimation? How much removal?

CHICKS DIG GIANT ROBOTS

Hard to balance colors and cycles then.

I'll see if I can balance it out with other cards.

Just out of curiosity, why balance the colors?

>non legendary
>there are multiple princes of thralls
I mean... sure...
but that's a cop out.

starcitygames.com/article/34751_What-If-Banned-As-A-Commander-Came-Back.html

what the flying fuck does she have to do with equips?

What reason do you have to balance colors? Just autism?

It's usually better for a deck if you lean heavily into a color instead of having them all equally represented.

>SCG

>Any opinions on pic related?
SUPER SHITTY
even with this attack two for the price of one mechanic, combat isnt super hot in edh

unless you use infect

top is absolutely not a staple

I typically play Grixis, so my colors are typically Black and Blue, splashing Red for support.

She's not very fun unless you like turning dudes sideways and doing nothing else

>sheldon trashes commander-set commanders but forgives wotc since he wants to see interesting attempts at commanders

he truly is a god among men

he also feels the exact same about prosh as i do (that putting him on the command zone of any jund deck makes it better)

what decks doesnt it go in? hmm?

Monastery Mentor would make for a sweet general.

Hmm, that's a shame. I was looking for a Naya commander, but none of the options really jumped out at me so I considered branching out.

make it u/w and you have a deal

There's enough white spells that would make it worth it. But, yeah, I generally agree with what you said. I would just be playing PW and token makers.
Anyone have a good story from playing commander recently? I was playing Narset, and the only creature in the 99 was dual caster mage. Someone cast treachery on me, and spent about 5 minutes looking through my deck (I had dual caster mage in hand) and finally just said, "are you fucking kidding me? No fucking creatures???"

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA

just use the partners or a legit naya commander instead

Does anyone pack ramp in their Edric decks? Would you even need to?

Last night I won with sage of hours

Today I won with a double striking yidris and aetherflux reservoir

I'd scale the powerlevel down a little bit but my group plays almost exclusively with my decks anyways

I miss being able to play modern

The only fun decks in Modern are the insane fringe ones like Spellweaver and Forest Belcher. Oh and Grishoalbrand

If your LGS isn't full of turbospikes modern can be pretty fun no matter what you play

Is there a way to make this guy work as a commander?

sadly that's all my lgs is
that's why i play extra turns zada
nothing pisses people off more than losing to a mono red combo deck

Flicker effects

sauce?

To elaborate, you put Mangara's ability to stack, then you flicker her. She comes to field immedietly or at the end depending on your flicker and the targeted permanent still gets exiled

Ava's Demon

Autism, ultimately.

I just like each color to have a chance to shine in the deck, instead of being all the green cards are boring ramp and white is a splash on 6 cards. It bugs me.

Sure, flickering seems fun but that doesn't win you a game. Flicker, flicker, flicker then roll the game out with goodstuff?

incase?