/BGG/ Board Game General - Post Your Collections Edition

/BGG/ Board Game General - Post Your Collections Edition

Previous thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

---------

Share your collections and talk about them. You can also share your wishlists.

Which 3 games from your collection couldn't you live without?

What would you say are some of the most underrated (be it ratings or popularity) games of the last couple of years?

What's your biggest triumph when it comes to boardgaming? Your best win story.

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/15/the-age-of-twilight/
coolstuffinc.com/p/191207
terra.snellman.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>3 dinosaur games in the OP image

Fief: France 1429 yes or no? I like negotiation and light warfare but some people say it is too random in the cards you get.

Reposting if diplomacy user didn't see my reply

First for Scythe is bad meme.

>Which 3 games from your collection couldn't you live without?
Seven Wonders is the only one I really couldn't live without. There's others I love more, but Seven Wonders is the one which can fit any size of players looking for something, doesn't take too long, and is simple enough to be a good intro game for newbies without being too simple to hold my interest. It's my workhorse.

>tfw can only play board games twice a week at most

How do I make more friends?

By sucking their dicks

Secret Hitler, World Championship Russian Roulette, and Race For the Galaxy. All three are huge social staples of game nights that I'm expected to be able to provide. And, of course, I personally love them too.

>What would you say are some of the most underrated (be it ratings or popularity) games of the last couple of years?
Mafia de Cuba gets panned pretty consistently for being finnicky and weird, and requiring a ludicrous playercount to work well. And it totally is all of those things, but none of those things are intrinsically bad! It's a great game with metric tons of content and fun situations.
World Championship Russian Roulette came out without much fanfare and the people who did notice it called it a luckfest. Again, yes, it totally is a luckfest, it's russian roulette for crying out loud! But you do manipulate that luck heavily, you bet on it, and you can bluff your way around it altogether too. It's a very nuanced game, and it's brilliant.
Werewords is new and already getting hate for the horrendous art, app requirement, and being a ripoff of Insider. All of these things are - you guessed it - totally valid complaints. But the gameplay itself is really well done! It's much more nuanced and interesting than Insider, the app is brilliant because it allows the words to never "run out", and it's been a hit with everyone I show it to, once I explain that it really isn't as bad as that puketastic art, I swear to god.

>What's your biggest triumph when it comes to boardgaming? Your best win story.
Coming second in a Star Realms tournament. I rarely get to say I'm legitimately capital-g Good at a game, but that's one I am.

Only twice a week? Fuck you, I haven't played a board game in two months besides solo games

What's the next Vlaada game I should get? I've got mage knight and Galaxy Truckers and i love them both to death.

Tash Kalar?

Why dont you play with /bgg/ on TTS then?

Tell me more, please

What's the deal with pic related? Some people praise it to high heaven while others completely shit on it saying it's not even a war game. I haven't played it so I'm wondering.

>pic related

... shit here's the pic

without a picture could be a lot of games
a lot

Nigga what? Just ask if anyone on here wants to play a game on TTS.

it's not really a wargame, but it looks like one from the case. It's really a failure to communicate

>Share your collection
I think this crap is up to date, other than adding TI4 to """"owned"""" status.

>Wishlist
Honestly not much, other than stuff I'm waiting on like TI4 and a smattering of KS projects of varying probable quality. Hasn't been much announced this year I've gotten really excited about. Even TI4 would be pretty marginal for me if I actually owned a copy of TI3.

>3 games you couldn't live without?
I don't fucking know, I'm so damn flighty about what I really think will last me forever. Today, it's probably something like:
-Stronghold
-Kemet
-Twilight Imperium

>Underrated recent games?
-Stronghold is pretty high on that list for me, it's a nearly perfectly thematic two player meatier game that I think deserves more attention. If I'd played enough Twilight Struggle to have a valid opinion, I probably wouldn't hesitate to call Stronghold close to as good. Maybe better.
-Chaosmos is a really unusual up-to-your-eyes-in-ameritrash design from a couple years back with almost-bad-enough-to-be-good art that I think deserves a little more recognition than it gets just for creativity, it's a hot mess of a hidden information McGuffin chase.

I'm happy to be pulling closer to twice a month right now you ingrate.

It was just a little too wide-lens and abstract for me, didn't really scratch that Company of Heroes itch like Heroes of Normandie does.

>forgot pic
I don't even know if I need caffeine or sleep anymore.

Yo what are some must have coop games?

Needs more cat.

My bad, I thought there was a discord or scheduled time for certain games

As a thread, we fail pretty hard at organizing anything outside the thread afaik. There have been attempts at both a discord and TTS game nights, but not with any real success.

Dungeon Petz

Cats barely ever even come inside this time of year unless they've had a crappy day hunting and want food or air conditioning.

Depends. Do you want abstract puzzle solving or thematic fuckery?

>puzzle solving
Pandemic (obviously)
Forbidden Desert
Legends of Andor

>thematic
Arkham Horror LCG if you have a thick wallet
Eldritch Horror (+Forsaken Lore!)

Others I haven't played but heard great things about:
Mansions of Madness 2e
Ghost Stories
Flash Point Fire Rescue

Alright thanks man, I'll try it out. I wanted to go for the biggest community anyways, and that looks like it is.

Space Hulk Death Angel (can be played coop but better as a solo)

How's Battletech alpha strike?

I'd be down for trying a semi regular game schedule

It's pretty solid. It's a generous box, lots of reasonably decent sculps by battletech standards (which aren't the best) and plenty of map for starting out. The whole design is still very much a product of the 80's, but it holds up alright, and the alpha strike box is a great place to start with battletech. Probably as far as I'll ever get into it, though.

Rulebook and Lrn2Play books for TI4 are up.
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/15/the-age-of-twilight/

Where'd you get the box from? All I can find are books or these boxes like pic related. If I was wanting to get into alpha strike, what would you recommebd?

Actually, looks like I have my BGG collection fucked up, this is the box I actually have. Looks like it's out of print right now, though.
coolstuffinc.com/p/191207

In praise of Flash Point: Fire Rescue, because of how easy it is to play, and how modular the system is. You will always be fighting fires and rescuing victims, yes, but you can greatly customize from there. You can fight house fires, office building fires, fires onboard an aircraft, et cetera.

Want to expand to a second floor, or a basement, or both? May as well add ladders too then. There's rules for locked doors/fire doors, for the floor collapsing underneath you, and even fatfuck or injured victims who are harder to move. Oh, there's also hazmats, and chemical spills, and other generally bad stuff being on scene.

All this and a selection of different roles to choose from, each being good at something specific. You can pick and choose what pieces you want to play with and make the game as involved or difficult as you choose. So yeah, fun.

There's an expansion on Kickstarter currently going on too if you're really interested, though I think only for a couple more days. Pretty cheap too, only $20, and it adds events to contend with.

Gears of War doesn't get enough love... it's great.

Rate my haul anons.

>3012
My ex-FLGS tried to sell that shitty game for like 4 years.

Missed the migration
(awful games)
Yashima
Dungeon Time
Ticket to Ride
Blokus (squares)
Apples to Apples
Cards against Humanity
We didn't playtest this at all
Sequence
Fluxx version 5.0 (no creepers)

off the top of my head

It was on sale for extra cheep, so I won't feel too burned if I don't like it.

I've got a soft spot for deckbuilders.

>Cards against Humanity
Fuck this game and all its variants (Cyanide & Happiness specially). My group is constantly trying to push for these games, I get it, they are "funny" a couple of times but they lose their charm after the 2nd play.

I think it's babbys first war game, which suits me just fine. It's not quite Uno level but I'm pretty sure if you were any kind of serious war gamer you'd see it that way.

For me, it suits just fine as a 2p game. Light easy to learn, interesting. I did absolutely blow out my more experienced opponent once, literally wiped the board and lost maybe 2 units (not hexes, UNITS) just because that game I rolled like a fucking Adonis. I can see where if that shit kept happening it would cease to be fun quickly.

That said I played Overlord and found it to be the most boring trite shit ever- and I was the Commander on our side of the table.

I give it a 6/10, would play anytime but won't buy.

What's wrong with Yashima? Seemed fine the couple of times I played it.

Is Forbidden Desert somehow better than Forbidden Island? Because I certainly wouldn't put Forbidden Island on any "must" list.

it's overcomplicated for a game whose theme is basically "lets see who the best pillow fighter is"

multi players can come back and fuck other people for no apparent reason, but not win

facing is hugely important (for what purpose) but there is zero indication of facing on the minis

tiny board area with placement rules that guarantee the same shape battlefield

idiotic hex attack patterns that are impossible for normies to understand (for what purpose)

every review says "well it's just beautiful" and not much more

that's just off the top of my head. I think one guy out of seven people who've played was even interested in playing again and I haven't been able to get rid of it to save my life

Why did you list Blokus (squares)?

because the topic was some things are outright fucking garbage

And would you mind explaining why it's "outright fucking garbage"?

Because I'm no good at it ;_;

no theme, duh

Oh yeah, somehow I forgot that in my list of complete shit games last thread.

So there's no reasons why it's bad

happy user here, thanks

I couldn't find an answer online, so do any of you know how much time I have to pull the trigger on a Twilight Imperium 4e pre order?

40 Relic looks fun, playing it soon.
But is Horus Heresy from FF as shit as it looks?

Hard to say, maybe Archipelago, Coup/Love Letter, and Kemet? My answer willl have probably changed 5 min from now.

>What would you say are some of the most underrated (be it ratings or popularity) games of the last couple of years?
Valley of the Kings for sure, it's the best deck builder I've ever played and deserves to be more well known.

Beating my Autistic friend at Carcassonne. Doesn't sound like much but it was a huge achievement for me because he's some kinda fucking savant at that game.

>The Sleeping Furry of Catula

How difficult is Inis to play? Love the theme.

It really depends on the group. I hear some people love the draft or hate it. My group loves it, because we've all played drafting games, but I understand some people who are frustrated by the mechanic. The three different victory conditions can really sneak up on you fast, and first time people will most likely not understand how close they are to actually winning, so I recommend printing whatever player summaries you can find on BGG, because the ones that come with the game do not have the victory conditions on them (but contain everything else). I'll also recommend you print out the community errata/FAQ on BGG, because there are some typos and mis-translations that are really bad in the game (the fucking stone circle ability as mis translated and becomes and INSANELY strong ability if you don't know how it should be).

At least trigon has some mental complexity in fitting the pieces.

Square blokus is:
>what is the largest piece I can put in
>repeat

I mean maybe if you have trouble with pic related it would be the slightest bit interesting but it's basically a game we played when my niece was 8.

Ok, there's an answer that actually has substance. Thanks user, I'll subscribe to that

Anyone have experience with the Cities In Ruin expansion for Eldritch Horror? Do you like what it's added?

it's worth the price of admission for Ashcan Pete and Duke alone.

Posted last thread and realised I need to flush it out, at least with relevant old school games that I would actually bring to game night on occasion.

1. Roll for the Galaxy
2. 7 Wonders

My experience being neither deep nor broad, I'd have to say Harbor (aka Harbour). It's very easy to underestimate because it's a small box with few pieces and pretty simplistic artwork.

That I haven't been kicked the fuck out of my group.

Error: Our system thinks your post is spam.
jesus christ what Veeky Forums

also recommendations for decent 6+ player games that are not party games (codenames, spyfall)?

Currently 7 wonders is the only >5 game I have to whip out.

Carcassonne or Diplomacy,

6 is kind of a weird player count, it makes downtime too long in a 'regular' game and it's too few people for a party game.

Rex/Dune, AgoT, Cosmic Encounter, Evolution, Diplomacy, Zombicide, Coloretto, No Thanks, For Sale, I'm the Boss... can't think of any more

Blokus is simple, but I'd say
>what's the largest piece I can play in a manner that I block my opponents while keeping as much territory as possible available for future moves
is more accurate. It's not as simple as you make it to be

considering everything is corner touch it's pretty damn hard to ever block someone intentionally- I mean usually by that time in the game you're also reduced to a limited number and shape of pieces and they just shrug and play off some other corner of theirs right through your line

As an unabashed Zombicide apologist, Zombicide is NOT a good six player game. Zombicide is a great three player game, when everyone gets control of two of the six survivors, and a pretty good two player game, but at six players half the rounds are going to involve someone dying a third of the way through an hour and a half long play session and sitting there with their thumb up their ass the rest of the round.

Meh/10

Should I just buy TI3 or should I wait for TI4?

unrelated but could you guys recommend me other games that are similar to Mage Knight? Preferably coop games.

why wouldn't you wait? Even if TI4 is bad for some reason the used TI3 market is going to be cheap as hell.

look at renegade on ks for something coop like mage knight. not sure if it ended or not but its very similar and made by ricky royal who does some the best mage knight videos out there

Why is TI3/4 so expensive? All the minis?

does anyone know if/where i can find a pnp of citadels?

there are a lot of components in general and none of them are shit quality (speaking on 3 of course). plus lots of minis equals expensive.

How do I get better at Terra Mystica without embarrassing myself?

How do I get better at Terraforming Mars without embarrassing myself?

How do I get better at making a single post without embarrassing myself?

Am I a bad person in thinking that Dark Souls the Board game is actually pretty good if you cheat at it a little to cut down on the grind?
(I feel it needs a Starting Gift and a shorter loot deck. Maybe some extra starting souls. Nothing really about the mechanics themselves)

i'll bet you just described the first expansion desu

A couple more 6p games - Dominant Species and Struggle of Empires

...and if you and your friends are prepared for a couple heavier all-day games - Here I stand and Virgin Queen

Are expansions for Diskwars worth it?
I only have main game, and it seems pretty bland after couple of games

>Am I a bad person in thinking that Dark Souls the Board game is actually pretty good
Yes.

>What's the deal with pic related?

Kek! If I had a nickle for every damn time I've done that accidently... I'd have a lot of nickles!

> Share your collections and talk about them.
This is my gaming collection.
There are many like it but this one is mine.

Started from Pandemic and (not shown) Munchkin, then moved to deeper stuff pretty much right off the bat: Neuroshima Hex -> Dominant Species -> StarCraft, Imperial Settlers -> Kemet...

I recently got bored of FFAs and there a sizable chunk of my collection, also wish I had more deep games for smaller player counts.
> You can also share your wishlists.
A deep team vs team dudes on a map strategy game.
A LCG
> Which 3 games from your collection couldn't you live without?
My friends would disagree but I have the most fun playing Imperial Settlers and Last Night on Earth and StarCraft
> What would you say are some of the most underrated (be it ratings or popularity) games of the last couple of years?
No idea. StarCraft is quite low in rating while being an awesome strategy game
> What's your biggest triumph when it comes to boardgaming? Your best win story.
I usually forget that shit the next day but winning Ghost Stories probably counts.

>A deep team vs team dudes on a map strategy game.
S T A R C R A F T

Yes. Forbidden Island is basically Pandemic lite. While the shrinking board is unique, the rest of the game is not. Forbidden Desert feels more unique, more difficult, and victory doesn't require boring abstracted set collection.

>Team vs team dudes on a map strategt game

More of a war game, but the COIN series by GMT fits this well.

>A LCG

Arkham Horror > LotR

For competitive lcgs, I'd wait to hear how L5R LCG is before jumping in over the king, Netrunner, which can be a bitch to get into this late in the game.

>the COIN series by GMT fits this well

Hm, Andean Abyss didn't at all feel that way imo. Falling Sky, kind of, maybe. More like there's two pairs of factions that work towards similar goals but between them also need to keep their "ally" from winning as well. I've read that Liberty or Death and Fire in the Lake are sort of close to team vs team but I've not played either so I can't say much more.

Yep StarCraft has a team vs team variant which I'm happy to play, just wanted to add another game to the mix, preferrably in a fantasy setting and with team vs team as the default.
> COIN
COIN doesn't really fit because even in the same "team" the players kind of play against each other. I'm looking for team victory.
> Arkham Horror
Say I wanted to get into Arkham Horror LCG what do I need to get right of the bat? Two copies of the base game?

I didn't see that you have Starcraft.
Star Trek: Fleet Captains has team play in 2v2(v2v2 with both expacs) and it's got ships on the map, but the map is random hexes and it's goal-VP based.

Analyze and play games at
terra.snellman.net/
look for /bgg/s for strategy sections, try to watch for most common openings.

Don't decide what race you draft before the game - the game bonuses and other starting races should determine what you pick.
I always roleplay as Scooby Doo and Shaggy when I play Pete

Thanks, adding Star Trek to the notes.
We played FoD recently again. Nerfing Dracula with "you can only use power cards once" didn't help much. Next game we'll try to play without them.

Don't know if it will help much, most of the game we knew that Dracula was somewhere in Transylvania. He amushed one person with the fog and the others were far away. We've spent an entire week trying to get into Transylvania and then Dracula just went to the sea and landed somewhere in Spain. And once we got to spain he went to sea again but this time it was already week 4 so once he got out it was the end for the Hunters.

My current thoughts:
Mina's ability is useless at the start of the game.
Not having fast horses or having them fail in critical areas is the true game breaker.
There's really no way of trapping Dracula if he doesn't start trolling people and fails.

>>Thanks, adding Star Trek to the notes.
Make sure it's Fleet Captains, there are dozens of ST games and some have similar names.

>Share your collections and talk about them.
I only recently (about 2 years ago) really started to get into the hobby, although 8 of these games are games I got when I was much younger.

I'm living close to my parents, who also have a (slightly larger) game collection, so the actual number of games I can play is more than twice as big.

To clarify some of the names:
Bluff = Liar's Dice
Galerie der Diebe = Clue: The Great Museum Carper
König Artus Tafelrunde is a trick taking game that doesn't seem to have an english version
Der Zerstreute Pharao = Ramses II

Dominion, Shogun, Onitama

The King is Dead

well I have the opposite experience with that game.
dracula seems underpowered to me, especially in combat - you are better off with hiding all the game, especially if the hunters are already stocked up on items and weapons.
My group of hunters played together from begining to end, especially abusing mina's ability at every occasion