Mistborn

Last time I started a thread the resonance was disappointing tbqh. Maybe this time we have more luck.

Anyone here who has played it? Stories and experiences very welcome.

I might give it a shoot. I am thinking about a group off minor nobles that are on a journey to get rich and to "acquire" some holdings. The PCs are either all Mistborns and/or Mistlings. They do some shenanigans and possibly acquire their own land.

Then the Lord Ruler dies and both Shards splinter because they fight it out ("slight" lore changes).

The Last Empire totally fractures after that. The great noble houses establish their own fiefdoms, House Venture is the strongest controlling vast lands and the capital.

The Skaa shake off surpression at some places and consolidate some independent republics after successfull uprisings.

Some Obligators instead of working together with the Nobles establishes theocratic dictatorships. They try to surpress the growth of new religions and to enforce the laws the Lord Ruler left behind. They try to sell the death of the Lord Ruler as a test of faith to weed out the unbelievers. Once thats achieved the Lord Ruler will return to reward the faithful...

Between that sou have Steel Inquisitors and Kandra and Koloss armies joining factions or following their own interests.

The PCs ofc quickly become entangled in this as key political figures...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MYQzPxNRm3o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jeez louiz Veeky Forums really seems to hate mistborn/sanderson.

I've heard very mixed things about the actual writing. And given the page count and theoretical size of the universe, I'm reluctant to give it a shot. Fantasy doorstoppers are rarely any good in my experience. GoT, Wheel of Time, etc. are all mostly dreck.

I like the system's character generation and the 'magic' stuff in it. I just am not a huge fan of the original setting because I feel I couldn't properly recreate it.

And when I really get into it, a lot of what I want to do in the setting can be done with FATE.

The mistake here is trying to engage in entire "cosmere" instead of one of its more digestible and frankly better components. I can't speak for the short stories but Mistborn satisfies me where the Stormlight Archive will usually bore me straight to dream land.

Meanwhile I'm the opposite, I go to town on the storm light but mist born is meh for me.

I like both, but Shalan bores me as does Waxiliam to a lesser degree

At least Oathbringer will be Dalinar-focused

Same. I have tried again and again to read stormlight archives but I just don't like the world. It seems so forced.
"Yeah fantastic culture, storms, women food etc." Even the magic System doesn't really work for me.

Mistborn on the other hand has a cool magic System and is innovative while working with familiar things. The world seems familiar and yet is no standard fantasy.

I guess I always suffer from this syndrom of liking secondary writings better. I liked the Stand better than the Dark Tower

Oh give it a try. The Cosmere honestly just is Sandersons autistic back story/hobby that doesn't really influence his stories.

It isn't high culture but you get VERY nice world building imho and an author thats really good at planning and executing twists and turns over whole books. A lot of small seemingly unimportant stuff becomes important later.

Mistborn series or Elantris are a good start.

Not being 'high culture' is not the problem, it's the garbage tier, high-school-English-writing-level characters, dialogue and detail. Sanderson would make a great background writer for a video game, rpg or tabletop system, but as an author he's fucking awful.

This may be the first time I've ever seen anyone who doesn't love the storm light archive books. Everyone I've talked to loves em.

Ah thats to harsh. I mean you aren't fully wrong but your verdict is too harsh my man.

Really? I might give it another shoot but imho Mistborn is the superior series.

Can you run the game to a group of people who didn't read the books?

I think so. My potential players haven't and I think thats a-okay with a decent introduction.

Going to change a lot of points anyway.

Tried the game once. Enjoyed it, though I haven't gotten to play it since.

What happened in the session?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy Sanderson's writing for the most part, it's stuff I usually need to be in the mood to read though. With Stormlight I finish the books in like a week, with mistborn I put the second or third one down and just never picked it back up.

It's almost like Veeky Forums is contrarian, if it's popular they hate it, not just parts of it but the whole thing but they'll bang endlessly about obscure things.

Take Dungeon World, a few months after it was released Veeky Forums liked it then it became popular and now Veeky Forums hates it. Doesn't say anything for the actual quality of Dungeon World, just the cycle that'll keep happening.

True I guess. But Sanderson is hands down a superb worldbuilder and his worlds lend themselves to a tabletop rpg/ Video game really nice so idk why its SO unpopular.

Did a typical kind of bamboozle job on some nobles. I played a Gold misting, heh.

back to you pretentious fucker

>gold misting

Thats pretty useless famalam.

Koloss looks like something taken from my muscle grow fetishes

Only worst misting is duralumin

His writing is.... pedestrian. If I were to read his books, I'd probably be bored.

As audiobooks while I'm working (yes, my job entails long stretches of doing nothing bar driving around) it's very good. Simple, direct, lends itself to be readily understood.

Plotwise, Mistborn has a very nice setting while the plot itself is often contrived or badly planned (the ending of the Final Empire comes out of nowhere, for example). Yet, it's a solid 7\10.

A friend of mine played (for some reason his college had a regular Mistborn gaming club) and enjoyed it. Played as a skaa with maxed out luck and a hateboner for nobles.

He said the game was broken as fuck, especially things like Feruchelmy, and to play it you have to abandon the idea that you're going to play as a crew and instead be members of the rebellion. They actually started the game as all nobles, but the only motivation they had was petty mischief because there's not a lot else you can do in a totalitarian state where every noble family is playing the long game through bureaucracy. Independent action and initiative are not virtues in a noble game.

Soundtrack coming up
youtube.com/watch?v=MYQzPxNRm3o

>rules are broken

Hmm thats unfortunate tbqh. Are Feruchemists op.

>Final Empire is totalitarian

Thats a wrong understanding tbqh. Its more a theocratic-feudalism with a bureaucracy that has control in a few sharp defined areas.

As Nobles you can do a ton of things. The houses don't play the long bureaucratic game. They wage wars and feuds . Why not playing a campaign of conquest and Intrigue?

Full Feruchemists are probably pretty broken. Ferrings and Twinborn are likely more balanced

>Thats pretty useless famalam.

Yeah the idea was he was of noble birth, and a Misting, but a type that generally forced him to rely more on his wits and fast-talking skills in day-to-day life than his Allomancy.

The first Mistborn novel works so well as a standalone I was surprised to hear it was part of a trilogy.

Don't try to read everything Sanderson's ever written unless you become a rabid fan.

In all honesty though I think a Mistborn could fuck them up hard if he has access to Duraluminium and Atium and is good at pushing and pulling.

Also there are a lot of social restrictions. If a Keeper goes all out the place should be crawling with Steel Inquisitors and Soldiers in a day.

Okay that makes sense. Cool concept actually.

>Cool concept actually.

Yeah, it was pretty fun, really.

>Sanderson would make a great background writer for a video game, rpg or tabletop system
This

It's a pretty fun system that's easy to improvise in. Anyone with powers has a bit of an edge, and mistborn and feruchemists can wind up overshadowing mistings and base humans with their flexibility, though a Misting's ability to specialize let's them have a good bit of power in their field that can be easily countered by another Misting of a different type. Make sure you cater to the baseline human's additional connections and let them pick more vague ones so they come up more.
As a GM and a player the system is straightforward and character creation is relatively simple too. I'd definitely recommend it.

Lock in misting only
Maybe do Ferring
Punish players for trying to rambo shit. Sure a coinshot will fuck up a squad of soldiers but one lurcher with them will even the odds
Make Hazekillers legitimate threats. Less "man with cane" and more warrior-poet

The initial Mistborn trilogy is so worth it. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a villain getting screwed as I did at the end of the third book.

>especially things like Feruchelmy
Feruchemy is broken in general

Someone with enough stored speed could wreck almost anyone. Hell even Atium might not save you.

We don't even know what compounding steel would even do if they're twinborn or used hemolurgy

True but a baseline human imho isn't the right character if have Mistborn and Feruchemists in your party.

Well according to the bock Hazekillers are actually really well trained and dangerous.

I mean think about it : Even with Pewter Vin is still a slim girl. She can fly away but otherwise she would have a BIG problem against a bunch of well trained bones with heavy clubs that don't offer an angle for allomancy.

Unfortunately in the books, Haze were just slightly more annoying mooks rather than the threat they were said to be. Part of the problem with following Mistborn most of the time is that we didn't get the feeling they were a real threat

Hell, one of the only times a non-mistborn get in a fight with humans that we see, it's Spook fighting other mistings

That's why it's curious that it's not a popular setting. Sanderson's an... adequate writer, I'd say; the characters are sufficient if simple and the plot is driven more by a desire to see more than to pursue the narrative, but the worldbuilding is great and the magic systems in particular are fantastic.

And since we can't use the narrative and shouldn't use the characters, but must use the world, you'd think that's be a good thing to work with.

Feruchemists have exorbitant potential, but they are limited by the need to acquire power. IF you have to acquire power in-game it'd balance itself well against Mistborn power levels.

Feruchemists have exceptional potential, but to use it must invest their time; the utility of attributes can be proportionate to how difficult to acquire they are, and as long as the team is on a hard timeline it's balanced. Mistborn have exceptional potential, but they have to actively acquire stuff to use them, and the most potent stuff is expensive and rare. As long as they are somehoe denied the resources of a Noble House, they're balanced - to get Duralumin or Atium they'd have to do a whole mission to steal it.

>if it's popular they hate it
Is Mistborne even popular enough to garner contrarians in the first place?

Only when you're talking about books

Ehh Vin in general has Mary Sue qualities.
Horse shoe highway?? Niqqa please Zane would have been the one to invent that.

Sanderson was pretty floppy with his world building when it came to the story. A group of Hazekillers is something that forces a Mistborn to retreat imho. They don't have healing powers and a heavy cane swung by a trained soldier is going to have an impact-even with pewter.

Effective Hazekillers also explain why houses blessed with Mistborns don't just rape other houses.

In general I am going to do some setting changes.

The sad part is that the shards intent made the man that took Ruin this way. Ati the mean that took Ruins powers first actually was a kind kind guy.

Just like Harmony doesn't intervene despite old Sazed being a goody two shoes.

This. I mean a Feruchemist in the books has the time to store an exobirtant ammount of qualities. How useful is he going to be in a drawn out series of battles without time to refresh?

Sazed was able to go full rampage for a Battle against the Koloss army but on the second day he would have been utterly fucked because his reserves were already running low.

>Ehh Vin in general has Mary Sue qualities.
Wasn't she basically addicted to most of the metals she was burning by the end? I remember she was particularly addicted to and reliant on pewter.

Elend is probably more of a Mary Sue, what with his "burn a piece of God and become a Super Saiyan Mistborn instantly as strong or stronger than Vin who's been level grinding for two books straight".

Well his Allomantic abilities were stronger because he had the pure version while Vin had the watered down by a 1000 years of breeding one.

Mistborn was Sanderson's breakout series. It impressed Robert Jordan's widow enough for her to ask him to finish Wheel of Time. Stormlight seems to be Sanderson's Magnum Opus, but Mistborn is why anyone gives a shit about him. That and probably WoT.

Surely you can see how him luckily getting a leftover piece of god is some mary sue levels of deus ex machina. Honestly I didn't even see why he needed superpowers for the rest of the story. It clashed with the whole arc of Vin coming to terms with loving someone who could never really understand her, but would always trust her. The only reason I forgive it is for the ballroom scene in Yomen's city. Shit was cash.

Imho the whole second book was dope. If I ever play Mistborn the Lord Ruler will be killed at some point and Ruin and Preservation will shatter each other.

And then its game on for an epic scenario with Yomens theocracy, Noble Houses and Skaa revolutionary councils fighting everyone. Heavily inspired by the Spanish Civil War.

Somebody wouldn't happen to have a pdf would they?

Nah I only have the soft Cover my man.