Warhammer 40k general

Warhams 40kg: ENLIST TODAY! edition

>Necromunda is returning, much to sister player's butthurt
warhammer-community.com/2017/08/13/breaking-news-necromunda-returnsgw-homepage-post-1/

>Konor Campaign: Chaos keeps losing and even GW begging can't help it. Lost again!
konor.warhammer40000.com/

>Check your local store's contribution to the Campaign. Hell, maybe you'll even play (no you won't)
warhammer40000.com/fate-konor-galaxy-flames/

>GW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/
>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/
>Codex: Space Marines FAQ
warhammer-community.com/2017/08/10/codex-space-marines-errata-now-available/
>Codex: Chaos Space Marine supplement for Daemons, Thousand Sons and Death Guard players
warhammer-community.com/2017/08/13/daemons-and-thousand-sons-in-codex-chaos-space-marines-aug-13gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf & epub, SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing the Emperor's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

I might be posting a batrep in a couple of days. Any guidelines I should follow for image size / post count / etc?

pic related is the template I made and am considering using.

This is a good template

Anons, the 8e CSM codex has revitalized the hype for 40k for me.

Look at this! It's nothing like the bland 2d MS-paint templates most 7e codices had!

link the new thread in the old one, dummy

Whats going up for preorder this weekend?

the preorders

Could you post the blank template and the icons?

I've only gone through the space marine codex so far but I quite liked it. Looking forward to the ork and dark eldar ones

>5 gorkanauts

Why would you play against this waacfag

Space Marines are boring

space marines are cool

Eldar and Tau are boring

Turn 1 charge is good, turn 2 is also okay if you hug cover and avoid LOS.

Keep in mind that the good heavy support in the army has a ~8" move and will take it to get an angle. At the very least, forcing Kastelans to move will trigger the heavy penalty.

Also, horms and terms will battle with the army wide 4+, even if the troops are t3. Don't rely on that damage alone.

Speaking of troops, mind vanguard. Assault 3 cansur guns won't fuck around. I've deleted units of genestealers with mine in one go.

Agree

It's great. If only we had new models to go with it.

chaos space marines are cool

space marines, eldar and tau are boring

Ork Codex soon please. I need to see if theyve actually fixed my faction

Codex compliant marines are boring

weird themed marines are cool.

Except space wolves

Aeronautica Imperialis is cool
all other factions suck

What's wrong with orks

Chaos Zoats are cool all other factions suck

Elves after the other chaos marine codices.

Right now my only real gripe is dropping 25points for a klaw statistically identical to a 12point powerfist. I'd like it if power stabbas were more available throughout the army as well.

I bet that tryhard even has Nobs in those 'Naughts.

>Right now my only real gripe is dropping 25points for a klaw statistically identical to a 12point powerfist
I'm sure that will drop with the codex if not before, if that's the biggest problem then orks are in a good place

I'm betting the argument is that the Klaws end up on models that have 3 or 4 attacks where the Fists end up on models with 2 attacks.

Power Stabbas were also thrown in as basically a pity-fuck since there's that harpoon looking bit in the nob boxes.

There should also be rules for buzz-choppas, but there won't be.

It's mainly because I know that the codex will give me the stuff I want, klan rules, stratagems and relics. The core ork rules are all pretty fantastic, albeit lacking very important options like red paint jobs, but that's the same for all armies so there's no point complaining about it specifically.

For sure, the lack of melee options for orks is pretty disgraceful, power axes, power swords and buzz choppas could all be given rules without any need to update kits.

Also got to give warbosses access to killsaws, right now the only plastic warboss being sold has illegal equipment.

>right now the only plastic warboss being sold has illegal equipment
That's not a killsaw, it's a unique Power Klaw. In 7th it was a PK with shred.

Seriously, when did this general stop linking previous threads??

Since every thread ends up being a gaggle of shitposters negating all value.

Don't live in the past.

This -> No reaosn to make it easy so the shitposters, and regular posters that can't mount the effort to put 40k in a search-box are no better.

Should I pick Night Lords or Iron Warriors?

I love them both in every aspect and wish I could get both but I only have so much dosh my dudes. I'm hoping to make an army that can be used in normal 40k and in Zone Mortalis games.

NL for looks, IW for everything else, including diversity, easier to paint and look good scheme, more complete collection, more flexible army, more viable tactics, etc.

But if you really want a thematic force and can paint lightning, then go NL. You'll be limited to melee shit and bat ears everywhere though.

>things I don't interesting are boring

No shit. Do you really think marinefags would play marines if they actually found xenos more interesting? I guess the bandwagoning WAACfags don't count.

NL raptors, warp talons, jump lords, and maybe bikers. IW the heavy weapons and tanks. Chaos looks amazing with a myriad of colors on the table.
has good points as well

Thanks for the help user.

>and can paint lighting

For the love of the night, this. I forced myself to gitgud at lighting as a test make sure I actually wanted to play Night Lords because I liked Night Lords. Don't be a shitter.

At least everyone, no matter their faction, can agree that WAACfags are fucking cancer and bandwagoning WAACfags are terminal.

How do pistols work in melee? If i have a plasma pistol on a model with an attack characteristic of 4, then does that mean that he can fire his plasma pistol 4 times?

during the shooting phase, a model equipped with a pistol may choose to fire it at an enemy model if it is in combat
your pistol has stats and is shot during the shooting phase, not that hard

thanks. that is simple. I guess I still suffer from overcomplication syndrome of 7th ed.

Wondering if i should add some plasma pistols to my two squads of khorne berzerkers.

Marine Flavour Power Rankings
Blood Angels
Black Templars
Grey Knights
Regular Marines
Space Wolves

t. GK player

>t. chair force

>no deathwatch
this list sucks

IW
Hazard stripes looks lit

Alright, so I've seen an interpretation of a rule in my local store that seems quite questionable. When overcharging a plasma gun, if you are shooting at a supersonic flyer, and you roll a 2 on the dice, does your model explode? If you are firing a combi-plasma, and overcharge the plasma gun alongside firing the bolter, does your model explode on a 1, 2, or 3 rolled on the dice?

The interpretation says that since the rule says 'On a hit roll of a 1,' if you modify the hit roll it can modify a naturally rolled 2 or 3 down to an effective 1. But it doesn't make any sense that a plasma gun is more likely to explode because it's shooting at a flyer instead of anything else. Has anyone else encountered this, and is it in fact the correct ruling?

Modifiers are easily the most headache-inducing part of 8th.

That is the correct interpretation of the rules, it doesn't exactly make the most sense but that's how plasmas work.
Be grateful you have the option to just deal 1 damage at strength 7 without overcharging

Didn't you know that Plasma overheats more at night? Basic thermodynamics boyo

Indeed. If your scouts move, they can't inflict mortal wounds. Becuase those 6s get modified down into 5s.

Is there a minimum of effective modifier results? Like in the case of shooting an overcharged combi-plasma at a supersonic flyer, is a natural hit roll of a 1 modified down to a 0, and therefore not a model removed? Firing both modes at the flyer, are 2s now 0s, and 3s alone make your model explode? Or are they all reduced to 1, and therefore your model has a 50/50 chance of exploding in that instance?

Yep, that's how it works. Night fighting also increases gets hot risk. Just wait till you hear about rerolling missed that would have been hits before modifiers

Can't go lower than 1 they've said

This is why -1 to hit rolls is the dumbest mechanic of 8th. -1 to BS or WS is superior in every way and not stupid.

With how the modifiers work it's significantly stupider. It doesn't make any sense that something being hard to hit has a higher chance of blowing up or causing your vehicle a mortal wound. The overheating should only apply to rolls of 1 regardless, same with mortal wounds to yourself. 6s should always count as hitting and should count for Snipers too.

Are any jump marines playeble? Loyal or chaos?

>It doesn't make any sense that something being hard to hit has a higher chance of blowing up or causing your vehicle a mortal wound

>target is hard to hit
>gunner fires more trying to hit it
>more likely to overheat

Do you really think one d6 = one round expended?

Warpsmiths, Vindis and Oblits got buffed up from useless shit-tier to something good and all daemon engines got cheaper. IW's can use almost anything and it looks good, NL seem more limited

IW's warlord trait and relic is fucking great.
NL's ones are decent, you can certainly make an ultra powerful Chaos Lord with claws, so pick up that old school model with the jump pack, you know the one.

Loyalists are iffy. Chaos can use them for two reasons: 1) Give them 2 Meltaguns and a Combi-Melta to drop'n'pop a tank. 2) Give them an Icon of Wrath and charge something shooty to tie it up. Those are, obviously not mutually exclusive.

But you're not shooting more. You're shooting the same amount you would at any other target, that's why it's stupid. Don't try to excuse it with "fluff" reasons. It's poorly ruled. Negative modifiers to BS would work better, objectively speaking.

Do you think they fire less at a target on the ground? Either way, they are firing at their maximum rate of fire that they can maintain accuracy at. Game balance says if they're firing more shots to hit more reliably, that should change the hit modifier, not just make them more likely to explode. Think before you stupid next time.

>Don't try to excuse it with "fluff" reasons

>what is abstraction in a tabletop game

Durr, mah excuse doesn't make sense at all, but you shouldn't criticize it!

Don't try to justify retarded rule interactions. It just sounds cringey. Yes, in my headcanon plasma vents are hard to spot to people can't find them at night, but I would never give that as an explanation to someone else.

While that conversion looks gorgeous, the amount of cash that must've gone into it makes me weep. Or does the Heldrake kit come with two heads?

>Zhadsnark da rippa is now equipped with "da pain klaw"
>it's clearly a circular saw
Even if it's counts as, this hurts my autism. Why the fuck did they do this?

It's a bad rule.

>Don't try to justify retarded rule interactions

>i am too autistic to understand a wargame is a highly abstracted series of game mechanics representing real time action

Got myself a knight to complement my army and I liked this color scheme a lot, which colors should I use to paint the red and bronze parts?

Night Lords raptors look like they pair very well with the forgeworld lascannon weapons that wound based on leadership.

They're laser destroyers with a wounding gimmick basically. You can force dude blobs to run away and shit all over big stuff like knight and land raider weight class enemies.

Zhadsnark is back??? POST RULES PLS

The amount of autism in this post is simply staggering.

You're moving space army men around, mate, probably while making pew pew noises.

When your miniature wargame requires more levels of abstraction than computing. Your rules are fucked up

Oh shit son, you're right, I guess all those historical systems that abstract company scale combat down to chits are really shit games only retards would play.

Remember guys, a Marine squad fires precisely one round a man, then stands still once its turn is done. This is how war works.

Anyone can explain the logic behind PL?
5 Girl squads:
Dominions 5 PL
Seraphim 4 PL
Retribution 6 PL
While stuff like Arco-Flagellants with 3 models and 2 wounds each cost 2 PL and DCA cost 1 but for 2 models and 1 wound each.

So, have we formulated a tier list for the armies in 8e yet? From what I understand, Tyranids, Imperial Guard, and Dark Eldar are the top armies right now. Is that correct?

Were those pictures taken at Legions?

Historical games do not have guns that increase their chance of exploding when shooting during the night.
Don't be a retard

>trying to use damgrous and unstable weaponary is more dangrous in the dark
Yeah, fuck GeeDubs am i right?

Flamers are great at hitting super sonic craft.
Even the the real world example of said techonology show it was utterly a failure.

So my main army these days is AdMech. Just out of curiosity, are there any other armies right now that rely fully on two units, with everything else basically being tax? An Admech army without multiple onagers and kastellans is pretty much not a threat.

His rules are in IA Index Xenos famalam, as are Buzzgobs

>enemies politely let the other side leave combat
>tank tread can climb lathers
>tank tread can't climb lathers
Nah stop being a retard

>>trying to use dangerous and unstable weaponary is more dangrous in the dark

Ohhh geez, it's dark. I'm scared. What could be out there? Tyranids? Necrons? Night Lords!? Oh geez, I'm so scared, I'm sweating so much. My palms are literally waterfalls of sweat. Oh geez, my sweat is causing my plasma gun heat up...

>What is muscle memory?
Have you ever used a gun in your life?
Shooting a gun in the dark is not harder than shooting it at brought day light

Ah fuck i never knew that existed, thanks.

He seems pretty nice, crazy movement as expected. what's his cost? i might need to break out my evil sunz again

Exactly, guard are cowards, and scared of everything. No wonder they cant enact the proper weapon fireing pslams on plasma weaponry.

Its not a ballistic gun num nuts, its a fragil bit of high tech kit

>moving the goal posts
ok buddy

Any idea if the typical SM terminator head will fit onto the new SM primaris bodies? in the same case will the chaos terminator ones fit?

Entrust to cave men.
Literal cave men can handle plasmagun safely.

I want to start a 1000pts T'au army and already bought a Start Collecting box and Cadre Fireblade month ago.
Now I'm sure I want to buy an Optimised Pathfinder Box but what should I pick to round the list up next - Broadside and a box of Fire Warriors or just another Start Collecting?

Also are Crisis Suits with 3 flamers and Fire Warriors with Cadre Fireblade a good option for such small games? As I said I have been away for a while and didn't follow any FAQ releases etc

>guard
>coward
Ok I'm being trolled

>talking about strange abstraction
>mentioning more strange abstraction is moving the goal post
Are you stupid or just butt hurt?

As yet I've not done enough comparisons with other stuff to know if this is good, but he's going back on the table anyway

Thats has never been the case. Plasma has always been risky, even to marines. Its jsut now more accuratly modeled on the TT

>need an angry guy with a pistol to stop them wetting themseves and running away
Guardfags: not even once

>talking about plasma guns
>nuh uh, flamer cant melt flying beams
sure thing pal

Literally trolling at this point.

>get BTFO
>cant handle the truth
>have his butt rustled
>" M-m-m-must be a troll"
Really got my noggin joggin, really activated my arlmonds, surly got my gears 'a turning

Are Chapter Champions any good?

Seems great for 110, just keep a painboy near by and bikers screening in front, his only weakness is his save and general defense

Embarrassing the chapter buddy.
The proper listing is clearly
>Dark Angels
>Grey Knights
>Blood Angels
>Vanilla SM
>Deathwatch
>Knights of Baal
>Space Wolves
t. GK player

Reminder that selecting a unit purely to hold objectives without any other role is retarded.

Even before 8th plasma didn't have a higher chance to explode during the night

IG fights against fucking Demons and space horrors all the time without neeeding a commissar or mind fuckering to remove fear from them

Also we are talking about abstraction and retarded situations like plasmas getting more random at night or flamers hitting flying crap no problem

You are either a retarded or intentionally trolling

How do the FW chapters rate?

This. Fuck Grots