Hard Sci-Fi Image thread

itt: none of your prissy Space Elves or energy melee weapons or your fanciful FTL drives. Just human beings working within the laws of Physics and mastering it to make something wonderful.

(Most of my stuff is Martian, if anyone has any stuff about Luna, the Belt, the Jovian moons, or any deeper space, feel free to post it.

Other urls found in this thread:

bodiesinspace.ghoste.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone else here by the way?

I'm enjoying it.

Fuck that

Oh man, my kind of thread!

Noomi Rapeface?

faggot

>dat inexistant radiation shielding

Cool thread anyway.

I was somewhat depressed to learn that although these dust storms can *look* impressive, the air on Mars is so thin that they're actually the equivalent of a light breeze, and wouldn't be a danger to anything.

Basically it's the one truly unrealistic thing in The Martian (book or movie), but it was necessary in order to kick off the plot.

How Hard Sci-fi is The Commonwealth Saga? I know it isn't the hardest of sci but still

Dunno, never read it.

I've always liked how The Expanse makes their Martian marines look.

This confuses me. Shouldn't the mirrors be angled to catch sunlight? Right now the whole damn thing is in shadow

Sure fucking looks like it.

I THINK in the book they need to evac and he's stranded for that but it's no depicted as some badass Arrakis-like storm

Is that just me or those landing vehicles look comfy as fuck? They probably aren't in the plans, but still.

The movie was pretty much true to the book for that scene, but the afterword apologises for that inaccuracy.

Cookie cat...

I'd cruise around in one.

The scene is basically the same in both the book and the movie. The basic problem is that there's really nothing that could happen on the surface of Mars that would realistically require a crew to evacuate NOW, with the possible exception of, like, a meteor about to strike the base - but not only is that incredibly unlikely (no human being in the entirety of written history is known to have died from a meteor strike), it would kind of kill the basic premise since a meteor strike that forced a base evacuation would by necessity wipe out said base.

The author and everyone involved just admitted that the storm is something you just have to suspend your disbelief for in order to get to the actual story.

FOOTFALL! God damn, I've been trying to remember the name of that book for years.

anyone know where that picture of...IIRC, a woman undergoing decompression as her blood freezes is on projecthro?

Pretty medium, somewhere between Type 2 and Type 3 on the Mohs Scale.
They are really quite good books though, despite the Magical Ozzie Hiking Trip being a bit dull IMO.
The Primes are one of the more interesting alien concepts I've found, and their history chapter was really good, and I am trying really rather hard but failing at not making my Dark Heresy character Paula Myo with a different skin on.
The Void Trilogy was a bit softer, more Type 2 straight up with all the "Magic, but reasonably consistently so" Void stuff and biononics.

Most of the platform is reflective white and it's only sporting a limited amount of radiator. I'd say the mirrors are set for limited solar gain in a way to throttle how much extra heat is taken on and could be ajusted for higher solar gain if needed.

Basically it's "night" mode inside so the mirrors are angled to keep it darker inside and let everything cool down a bit.

So you didn't get their reference?
How embarrassing!

I like my sci-fi more al dente, am i still welcome ?

well. i'll just post some pictures and hope nobody get's mad.

it's Veeky Forums of course somebody will get mad

and have some space pirates for my last pics.

In the book the threat is that it's reducing the power yield of his solar panels on his ride and he doesn't know why because the storm is invisible to him even when he's in it. Eventually he guesses the answer and works out the direction of the storm and avoids most of it.

bodiesinspace.ghoste.net/

>what is the scifi equivalent of magical realm?