"Faker Commander" Edition

"Faker Commander" Edition

Previous Thread: RESOURCES

>Full C17 Decklists:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: If you could have any planeswalker as your commander, who would it be and why?

Ajani Vengeant to make my Boros dreams into Boros memes.

reposting this >Thread Question: If you could have any planeswalker as your commander, who would it be and why?
Nahiri the harbinger. Let's make boros great again.

Have you guys mastrubated to Atraxa yet?

I don't think this semen slurping format is for me guys.

Why is Ajani Vengeant worth money at all? AFAIK, he's not played in any format whatsoever and had a duel decks printing to boot.

I want to take a minute here and give props yet again to the guy who said to take out all taplands and replace them with basics. Even without playing green, I run enough rocks for fixing to never be an issue and it's upped the efficiency of my decks a whole lot.

Big ups to you, handsome stranger.

No, but I have jacked it to Ajani many a time.

That's fine, different strokes and all that. Now get out.

>not running tibalt as your comander
why?

There are far worse red planeswalkers than a random loot-on-a-stick.

I got eight of her for $6, I don't know if I should make some starter decks for newbies, use them as trade fodder, or wipe them with acetone.

Wincon/Sideboard card in some Jeskai Control (Modern).

He's played in Modern Jeskai Control, but even if he wasn't, Planeswalkers go for at least $10, just because. Except for Tibalt.

It's intensely problematic how white Chandra is being from a plane based on the middle east.

>mom I'm so glad to see you
>oh god my daughter's white
India isn't Middle Eastern.

>Thread Question: If you could have any planeswalker as your commander, who would it be and why?

Karn or Ugin would be obscene.
The Tezzerets, other than Schemer, would probably be pretty good too.

Too bad both Bolas walkers are bad in Commander.

I'm trying to force myself to create a new deck, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

>MTG
>Continuity
I started to question shit too but just gave up.
It's like planes are essentially relatively small planets of one geographic location right? Like Innistrad is nothing but germanic-ish Europe, or Kaladesh being what appears to be colonization of India, or Tarkir being Asia.
So then where do the black and Asian people on Innistrad come from? What about Kieran on Kaladesh? Is he just the sole white guy who isn't a dwarf? How does that work?
I can work with whatever diversity quota that they want to push, so long as I can wrap my brain around it but where do they COME FROM? Is there just like this island of black people on Innistrad who decide to venture mainland every now and then? Is there something like the British Empire that we haven't seen on Kaladesh? What gives?

And who the fuck knows how Ixlan is going to be like. It's obviously conquistadors going to South America but are we ever going to see or hear about where these new sailors are coming from?

Both Kioras, BFZ Ob, AER Tezzy, Daretti, Dovin, Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker, Chandra, Pyromaster, and Jace the Living Guildpact are all worth less than Tibalt. Chalk it up to recent printings, but still, yeesh.

Chandra just wasn't on Kaladesh long enough to get a tan.

Teferi probably BLACKED a girl on Innistrad and planeswalked the fuck outta there once he heard she was pregnant. Don't have to pay child support if your on another planet

You guys ever consider playing a real format?

EDH is the future of mtg. deal with it.

>He doesn't play multiple formats

Can you only afford a single deck?

>vintage
Good luck finding players

>legacy
Good luck getting a mortgage

>memedern
Good luck sideboarding

>standard
Good luck dodging the banhammer

If you have a standard deck you can play in all real formats

I have a Standard deck and a Modern deck, but none of my friends play those formats.

and get raped in everything but standard

>uses the term "problematic"
>can't read a map

God I wish you were one of a kind.

Is there anything worse then salty players salting out over you not leaving them alone and letting them combo in peace?

Why are they bad?

But isn't Kaladesh just Not-India?
Show me a map of Kaladesh where there's anything that isn't !India.

only if you are playing against unfair decks

India is not in the middle east.

>implying I dont
EDH is just my side format, only have 2 decks for it, its where I go to relax and unwind when not playing FNM or PPTQs
>a non competitive, non FNM format is the future of Magic
Do you think before posting?

>unfair decks

get a load of this guy

unless you define "unfair" as "literally any deck that has placed in the top 8", no

its a real term

im not saying that you are favored to win, or that you should play a standard deck vs a legacy deck but there are definitely some slower legacy decks that could give the impression of a slow loss rather than the feeling of being penetrated by a 10 foot long iron rod

Were you dropped on your head?

Shardless BUG is a "Fair" deck and I'm pretty sure it would eat any Standard deck alive.

FNM is dying, EDH at friends is where it is at. EDH will be the premier MTG format within 3 years tops. Standard, modern and legacy are fucked.

no but i came into play tapped

Casual/Kitchen table is already the premier MTG format

If EDH is the premier format then this game is fucked. EDH functions best when its treated almost as a seperate game entirely. If it became even close to most played format, the ban list would be a LOT bigger and theres a whole host of other issues that go along with it. I love the format but it doesnt need to replace traditional 1v1 magic. They are fine being seperate.
1v1 Magic is more competitive, you can focus more on the boardstate because theres not 4 of them with some autist yelling at you to hurry up because youve taken more then 15 seconds to think about your play and it NEEDS to be his turn right now so he can play his fatty!!!

I suppose

Even Sheldon acknowledges the format is not meant for competitive play. If it were so many cards we are used to would be banned like Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, the Cheap black tutors like Vamp and Demonic and a bunch more. Blue cantrips would be gone too.

Blue cantrips did get banned in duel commander in MGO, didn't they?

>Thread Question

Easy.

Indeed they did. Basically shows what competitive commander would look like, boring solitaire combo decks with a bit of blue permission to stop their combo. Commander works best as a for fun format. You can have powerful cards and decks but the moment prizes, money, or pro tour invites are on the line people are incentivized to break the format and then you get bad play experiences, bannings galore and overall a worse format.

Their announced cancellation of FNM promos and replacement with tokens was disheartening. I guess I should wait to see what they put out, but I have my doubts.

I like 1v1 and all but with what they've done to the format there's no point in even trying it.

You mean, balancing it?
I wouldn't play 1v1 commander either, regardless of if anything is banned or not.

Dont confuse FNM dying and wizards just being retarded

competitive, multiplayer EDH doesn't exist

Hopefully Ixalan will make Standard more fun.

They're way too liberal with their bans and shat all over it when they dropped the life total to 20. It was good when they removed sol ring and some others but it's a disaster now.

If they're consistently amazingly illustrated borderless foil double-sided tokens, I'll take them over the usually mediocre standard promos.

Somehow I doubt that'll happen.

I've built a competitive deck and I just don't see the appeal. Much better to slowly work your way to obtuse win conditions.

>having a win condition
shiggity diggity doo

People who get assmad that you scoop right before they go off on a convoluted winmoar combo.
Bonus if it's superfriends.

Getting repeatedly attacked in the face by a player who only bothered to learn combat rules

How does the extra turns merfolk work with Ianna?

I think it goes "play, make copy, champion the original with the copy, so the originals champion rigger never resolves, go as normal, EoT the copy vanishes, returns the original, you copy the original again, and because this is all happening after the point in turn when the token removal triggers happen, the second copy wont vanish until the end of the bonus turn, when you can do it again.

Also, it's not worth copying legendary ceatures with Iannas ability because they die as SBA so you don't get a chance to use their abilities or tap for other wizards effect do you.

Good taste, my man.

Note, it's Inalla.
You're correct you can keep Championing the merfolk with it's token for as many turns as you're able to keep paying for it.
It'd still be worth copying Vela, Venser, and Vendilion Clique, but you're otherwise correct about Legendary creatures.

You have to sacrifice a Merfolk to take the extra turn, so you need to be able to pay for the copy 3 times the first turn.

Relic of Progenitus, Scrabbling Claws, Crook of Condemnation or what?

Or do you stick to colored gravehate?

I think the key is to be able to cycle when it's not needed or have the grave hate be incidental like Bojuka Bog.

So Relic is really nice out of those.

Tormod's Crypt is still one of my go-tos

>If you could have any planeswalker as your commander, who would it be and why?
>tfw no esper walker
probs flicker venser or autistic narset

Scrabbling also cycles.

Help me make this work /tg. Must have cards, etc.

True. Relic does it better though.

Play Legacy D&T. In any case, Karakas her while the ability is on the stack. Toss in other blink effects and shit, maybe ETB and some haste enabling. Ruin Ghost is some tech there.

grafdigger's cage my nigga

Sol ring
mana crypt
pic related, get as much out of the ability as you can since exiling its elf isnt in the cost
probably can do a thing where you have a couple of rocks, paradox engine and a couple of cards that bounce back to your hand for cheap like those enchantments that sram uses either that or cloudstone curio+ some way to cast at instatnt speed (flash or vedalken orrery)+ creatures
tap commander
with the ability on the stack cast a spell
untap commander
tap commander
repeat till you are the only one with permanents

He's not as interesting as I think you think he is. Run monowhite good stuff. Use bounce and Flicker to abuse his ability. Sac outlets also work, since he's Sun Titan and Reveliark -able.

The only real synergy besides the obvious is Oblivion Sower and that is hyper jank.

>Karakas
banned, my nigger

Oh wait Karakas is banned lel

I don't bother to play graveyard hate since someone else at my table surely will.

>he doesn't run shuffle effects to prolong games and remove graveyards at the same time

>no edh in title

idiot

Prolong games? Why the hell would I want to do that?

casul

fucking bystander apathy

So, how does it work in EDH?

You send Mangara into the command zone back and the other guy gets exiled?

yes

Relic of Progenitus, Nihil Spellbomb, Rakdos Charm, Ground Seal, Bojuka Bog, Scavenger Grounds.

Anything else and you're entering realms of "I don't care about card advantage and flexibility, I just want to fuck over Billy's reanimation deck because I hate Billy".

This guy's mentally handicapped.

What if I told you that I need to build a deck that is both good at multiplayer and 1v1 under mtgo banlist, because I never know in advance what kind of event will be held? Swapping out 5-10 cards on the spot is acceptable. What are the commanders for that?

here

Looking forward to Wizard Tribal now, with the new Eminence commander
>tfw Venser is a strictly better Capsize, cheaper and can bounce spells
>cast, original bounces the target, copy, copy bounces original for the buyback

Which reanimation commanders are the most fun?

Listen man, I spent all game maxing out the levels on my Level Up tribal, and I still haven't even started assembling Kaldra with a sweet Trading Post combo yet.

I don't get why so many people are recommending Ground Seal. It turns off Eternal Witness and Archaeomancer but leaves Living Death, Dredge, etc. alone.

Mimeoplasm
Don't play combo mimeo, that's boring.

The true path of Mimeoplasm is to play your opponents' decks, but better than them.
>Oh, I guess I'll pay 5 mana to search your deck for a Blightsteel/Magister Sphinx

Gitrog Monster is really good in both formats. The 1v1 version is pretty similar, but with more hand disruption.

>good at multiplayer and 1v1 under mtgo banlist
Breya
switch out some removal for more combos in multiplayer
you will win a good percentage of your games

It's not the be-all and end-all of graveyard hate, but you can throw it out, it cantrips immediately and you don't have to worry about it anymore. Relic of Progenitus and Nihil Spellbomb in comparison leave you one card down until you actually crack them, plus you need to keep one mana up during your opponents' turns.

I have no idea why the picture didnt get attached

I hear people talking about him often and I kind of get how his combo works, but the only time I tried him I ran into direct counters that make him worse than not having a commander at all. He seems rather straightforward to beat with graveyard hate

Do You know french commander or leviathan? EDH is a viable 1v1 mtg format