Paizo Games General /pgg/ (also /pfg/)

Paizo Games General /pgg/ (also /pfg/)

Has the Solarian (no blitz soldier dip edition) been BTFO now and for all time?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/threads/rzs2uimg?Trip-Report-My-first-Starfinder-session)
reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/6sm438/we_make_the_starfinder_rpgask_us_anything/dleil6e/
paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui71&page=1?Can-grenades-be-retrieved
paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui71&page=2?Can-grenades-be-retrieved#75
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/85043/bones-and-bed-shackles
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/85418/mint-rebels-double-treason
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/84677/godslayers
d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sense-vitals/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Of course it's not for all time.
It's a fucking soulknife. A first party soulknife.
Give it maybe two years, and even graviton abilities will have an awesome selection... so long as you're not playing, uh, SFS?

Solarian isn't that bad, it's comparable to a soldier in terms of DPR and gets some nifty tricks up its sleeve.

All the DPR comparisons I've seen so far with the soldier though ignore all the Gear Boost tricks and bonus feats they get. If we say the Solarian's revelations are on par with the gear-boosts (and I think they're more situational than "all your blast weapons get +2 damage") that still leaves the solarian with a couple of literally-dead levels (5 and 15), and a lesser "primary technique", since they'll have to buy gear anyways.

I want to see full autistic min-maxed DPR olympics.

I am reposting this.

I have played through a second session of Starfinder at 1st level, this time as a human solarian. tl;dr = It was awful, and we died.

In my first session (paizo.com/threads/rzs2uimg?Trip-Report-My-first-Starfinder-session) , our party was composed of an ysoki operative (ghost), a pike-wielding vesk soldier (blitz), a human mystic (xenodruid), and an android technomancer. Although our soldier had major trouble with attack rolls due to poor luck, we blazed through the adventure with flying colors. We trounced three skill-based noncombat sequences and three battles with ease. We experienced not a single hitch, there were no tense moments, and our combat victories were foregone conclusions. Most notably, my operative was unquestionably the MVP of the entire party; they were a juggernaut of a skill monkey who handled the great majority of the party's skill checks, and they put up a ferocious fight thanks to trick attacks as well. Granted, the GM was running the operative (ghost) RAW.

In this new, second session, the GM and I played through the same adventure again, with two different players; I tried to minimize my metaknowledge. Our party was smaller: a human solarian, a human soldier (sharpshoot) with an azimuth artillery laser, and a human mystic (healer). The GM opted to ease up on the skill-based noncombat-sequences and to downgrade the encounters to half their original strength (e.g. an encounter with four equal-powered enemies went down to only two opponents) to compensate for a weaker party. In other words, we were playing through a significantly easier version of the adventure, with a small yet unavoidable amount of metaknowledge atop that.

I had built my solarian as best as I could: Strength 18, Dexterity 14, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Weapon Focus (advanced melee weapons), a tactical pike, and hidden soldier armor. Unfortunately, this left me with exactly 1 Resolve Point, and made Black Hole and Supernova nigh-unusable. This means that for all intents and purposes, my character was a classless character with a +1 bonus to damage rolls and a pathetic 1 Resolve Point. I have no idea why Charisma is the solarian's key ability score; it should really be Strength. Raising Charisma would have meant sacrificing Strength or Dexterity, and I was unwilling to do either as the party's only front-liner.

What anyone serious about playing a solarian should do is take a level of soldier (blitz) as their very first character level. This grants Strength or Dexterity as a key ability score, proficiency with heavy armor, +4 initiative, and +10 speed, thereby solving a host of the solarian's issues. From there, take solarian levels.

In any case, the session. Our party struggled through the two skill-based noncombat sequences, even taking into account that the GM had made them easier. Whereas my Intelligence 16 operative carried the entire group outside of combat, my Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma 10 solarian had a hard time with such things. Much of the time, they just did not have the skills with which to meaningfully contribute, and their skill bonuses were not especially high. Such is the hard lot of a Strength-primary character: twiddling thumbs when not in battle. We definitely suffered for having no operative around, and no Intelligence-based character altogether.

The first fight was rough. We were only three PCs, but the GM had halved the number of enemies in the battle, so in theory, it should have been an even easier fight than before. Perhaps due to poor rolls on our side, we blundered through much of it. My character stayed in photon mode throughout the whole battle, and never used Black Hole or Supernova. Even if my character was a Charisma 16 lashunta solarian instead, it would not have mattered, as there were no good opportunities to actually use either revelation; the enemies were too spread-out, as a single melee unit and a single ranged unit.

The second battle was a catastrophe. It was against a single melee unit that the GM had downgraded to accommodate the weaker party. Naturally, Black Hole and Supernova had no place here, so I would not have used them even if my character's Charisma was any better. My character was thus nothing more than a classless character with a +1 bonus to damage rolls and a measly 1 Resolve Point. We did our best, but the rolls turned against us.

Here is where the 1 Resolve truly screwed us over: both the solarian and the mystic went down, and it just so happened that the mystic was also down to 1 Resolve Point, because they spent it all earlier restoring Hit Points mid-battle via Healing Channel. Our soldier was busy trying to take down the dangerous enemy, and by the time said opponent was dead, the solarian and the mystic were likewise dead.

I imagine that we would have fared much more aptly with more fortunate dice luck, but that does not change the fact that the operative was performing at mediocre capacities outside of combat, that there were no good moments to actually use Black Hole and Supernova (never mind that my character had to have Charisma 10), and that low Resolve Points truly screw a party over.

If you are still set on playing a solarian after this, take a level in soldier (blitz) first. Trust me. The solarian was a disappointment.

Yeah, in terms of gear/cash the only benefit is that when disarmed of their crystal they can still deal "decent" (on par with basic melee weapons) damage while a soldier without a weapon is kinda fucked unless vesk or someone with Improved Unarmed Strikes.

Past 1st level, the solarian is actually a competent damage-dealer under the "one true build" that is Stellar Rush at 2nd, Plasma Sheath at 4th, and Corona at 6th. A solarian with such a build is really quite competent at closing into melee and dealing large amounts of damage. It means totally ignoring graviton mode, graviton revelations, Black Hole, and Supernova, but such is life as a solarian.

In a world wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace, it is not as if you are going to see non-animalistic enemies willingly clustering together anyway. Black Hole and Supernova can warm the bench, even for a solarian who puts points into Charisma.

It is just that having to spend a feat for Heavy Armor Proficiency is a pain, and so is having Charisma as a key ability modifier. That is why the first level of soldier (blitz) is so important: it gives heavy armor proficiency, Strength or Dexterity as a key ability modifier, and +4 initiative and +10 speed atop all that.

I want healing magic to be necromancy again. Do any of you see any problems houseruling that all healing is necromancy?

Yes. If you want to be a jedi, wait for spess initiators from DSP.

If the party's soldier was a "tactical pike and hidden soldier armor" 1st-level character as well, then there is a good chance my character would not have died. That said, my solarian would have been just as mediocre as a ranged character. Solarians have proficiency with advanced melee weapons but not longarms, so that would mean spending a feat on Longarm Proficiency. At least I could have benefited from solar armor then.

I did feel justified in taking Dexterity 14 though, as the extra 2 AC and initiative mattered. If I had opted for Charisma 14 instead, my character would have still been stomped, just in a different way: being hit more often and having only 3 Resolve Points.

Combat in Starfinder generally is not gritty at all, even at 1st level. In our first group, wherein I was playing an operative rather than a solarian, we breezed through combat. We found it not a single bit gritty due to an abundance of Stamina Points, Hit Points, and Resolve Points despite our party's Constitution scores being 10, 10, 10, and 12.

It is just that in the new group with the solarian, that solarian's Resolve 1 truly bit us in the back (but no more so than setting Dexterity to 10), and unfortunate rolls exacerbated this.

A melee solarian is stuck between a rock and a hard place due to having Charisma as a key ability score. This can be solved by a one-level dip in soldier (blitz), of course.

The only healing magic that should be considered necromancy is the ones that do things like removing disease.

Actually... Can a solarian crystal even use a fusion?

To put it another why, to the question, "Why did you take Dexterity 14 and not Charisma 14?", I say:

1. There were no good opportunities to use Black Hole or Supernova in either battle. There were no enemies clustering up, and I do not expect non-animalistic enemies to do so in a setting wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace. Even if I did have good Charisma, it is not as though I would have been able to put Black Hole or Supernova to good use.
It was difficult to justify using AoE abilities on singular enemies when it would have been better to keep swinging with Weapon Focus and a +1 damage bonus. Having Charisma 14 (i.e. being hit more often) would not have changed that.

2. I felt justified in taking Dexterity 14. The extra 2 AC and initiative mattered. If I had opted for Charisma 14 instead, my character would have still been put into the ground by virtue of being hit more often. AC actually matters, particularly if one is the party's only frontliner. In other words, my character would have died regardless if they had Dexterity 14 and Charisma 10, Dexterity 12 and Charisma 12, or Dexterity 10 and Charisma 14.
If I had opted for Charisma 14, my character would have gone unconscious earlier, thereby forcing the other two PCs to scramble about to get me back on my feet.

I am unsure if they can.

Not really. Conjuration (healing) is kind've nonsense to begin with. You'd be reverting a change made in 3.0 -> 3.5 if you made them Necromancy spells.

There might be a couple of options out there that are tagged as improving Conjuration (healing) spells, but they're trivial to line edit.

Why solar rush?

Second opinions wanted.

I finally have a new group for pathfinder. I am walking them through character creation, and they are marching out the stereotypes.

>Kitsune nature oracle using a hornbow
The only experienced player, 1/5 characters on her prebuilt "want to play" pile

>Dragon bloodline sorcerer (race?)
"I want to be a water dragon" I sold her on the idea that dragons hide their young by polymorphing them into other species and orphaning them. The hatchlings grow and learn and travel until they can dispel their parent's polymorph.

>Orc titian mauler barbarian/titian fighter/ synthesist summoner
WoW player, wants to 2h with oversized weapons. Also the "I want to sit back and let the rest of the party make the decisions" guy

Most fusions are shit anyways; the price for the same thing goes up with the weapon level. In other words, adding Glamered to a level 20 weapon adds 135k to the cost. You can also put it on a consumable like a grenade at "only" half that price!

So for just 67.5k you can glammer a level 20 grenade.

Said level 20 grenade also costs about 200,000 credits on its own, too. Grenades are way the fuck too expensive to be practical.

...what opinions are you looking for? 'Stereotypes are bad'?

Not that any make much sense as stereotypes. Water-dragon wounds really weird, I've never heard of an oracle with a bow, 'wants to sit back' is part stereotype and part universal character trait.

Didn't someone say that a Returning grenade is effectively infinite? Forgive my ignorance; I'm a new PF GM and haven't kept up with SF info.

Here is a direct quote from my GM concerning the solarian:

"I looked through solarion [sic] myself before the first iteration of this game, when I thought another friend of mine might be playing, and solarian was [not taken by me]. I really couldn't see a build any different to [mine] being anywhere near as good. Solarion [sic] simply isn't as cha-dependent as it wants to be, and where it is dependent- resolve points- it isn't dependent in a fun way."

Even my GM thought me justified in taking Dexterity 14 over Charisma 14, and it still did not pan out.

Stellar Rush is a standard action charge (i.e. double your move speed) with neither the -2 attack nor the -2 AC. That is incredible for battlefield mobility as a frontliner.

Sounds alright to me.

Yeah what the hell is up with that anyways?

>Shock Grenade V: Level 20: 9d12E Explode 15ft
110 000 credits

>Tempest-Class Shock Caster: Level 20: 7d12E Explode 20ft, Charges 100 Usage 10
735 000

So a shock-caster deals 2 less dice of damage but gets to add stuff like deadly aim and re-usable fusions at least. But it costs less than seven shock grenades, has longer range, and can be recharged.

How would you fix Pathfinder?

>the cleric we've been hanging out with is actually a necromancer.
>we never noticed for 3 sessions because we never got significantly injured and just relied on infernal healing offcombat
>the revelation came too late when she turns the BBEG into an undead minion
>undead minion is used as a puppet leader for a small army

To add to this, my character was not supposed to be a "tank." They were supposed to be a frontliner, dealing heavy damage to enemies to the tune of 1d8+5, while threatening enemies with attacks of opportunity from reach.

If I had opted for a lower Strength, then my character would have been flailing around even more ineffectually by virtue of not contributing to the goal of "make the enemies dead."

Also, as per page 251, Resolve can keep you in a fight only if you are stable, or if you were knocked unconscious by nonlethal damage. It is not just something you can do when an enemy sends you to 0 HP through lethal damage. You cannot spend Resolve Points to stabilize and to get back into battle during the same turn, and someone stabilizing you with healing is probably going to also restore your Hit Points simultaneously.

Resolve would have allowed me to recover SP, but being hit less often (e.g. from having higher Dexterity) would have prevented SP/HP loss. That actually happened during the session a few times; Dexterity was paying off. It ultimately was not enough.

Actually...

I don't think it says anywhere that the grenade is destroyed from use. So unless a plasma cannon is also destroyed when fired...

It's... not 100% but it's possible that by RAW right now, ALL you need to do is run over and pick up the grenade after it blows... and you can throw it immediately again.

That user might be right; not because of 'Returning' but because they're nothing but a thrown weapon with the explosion ability on their attack.

It's... questionable. Paizo's also made it clear that they're going to errata the subject to make it clear that they're supposed to be destroyed on use.

No, stop being dumb
reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/6sm438/we_make_the_starfinder_rpgask_us_anything/dleil6e/
paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui71&page=1?Can-grenades-be-retrieved

Necromancy is the school dealing with the body. If necromancy can fuck up a body, fill it with disease, and animate it, then necromancy can heal, remove disease, and resurrect the dead.

Second opinions as alternative suggestions for how to make my players happy in their chosen roles

I guess the, I want to be strong and hit things with big sharp things and not have to do any of the thinking or talking is the only real stereotype, but "I want to play as a dragon" has been mememing a bunch lately.

>kitsune is so deep into weeaboo they are trying to make a "proper" samurai around mounted archery (nature oracle gives an animal companion mount with base 6 int) and Shinto worship of nature

Owen K.C. Stephens has covered this:

paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui71&page=2?Can-grenades-be-retrieved#75

>Owen K. C. Stephens Developer, Starfinder Team

>Since I just wrote this out for the AMA anyway:
>Grenades are ranged weapons. Their description on page 183 is clear on that point. As a result, they use Strength as the bonus to their attack rolls. Grenades are heavy, and getting them within 5 feet of where you want them is about heft of throw as much as anything, and that's how thrown weapons work ([bad example removed in edit]).
>Grenades do NOT have the thrown special weapon quality. This means they do not add Strength modifier to damage, and are not reusable. While science-fi does have some reusable grenades in it, the general definition of grenade defines a one-use item. If we ever opt to have reusable grenades, we'll call them out as exceptions.
>The save DCs for grenades is based on Dexterity, and this is where your finesse of proper placement comes in.
>Sadly, that is handled incorrectly in a a spot in the book. It's a known issue, and one we'll address sometime after the release date.

So then they ARE completely worthless.

While the thrown property talks about having to go get it where it landed, it in and of itself does nothing for preventing a weapon's destruction or ensuring that those without it are not destroyed.

How did they even fuck up with basics like "do you add strength" in the book to begin with? This is what happens when you keep only your tonguiest asslickers to do your playtesting for you.

This incident, by the way, was home to my first proper character death ever, and also my first TPK (well, two out of three player characters died) on the player side.

I knew what I was signing up for as a 1st-level solarian, however.

Starfinder reeks of having been rushed for GenCon.

Wouldn't a non-blitz soldier have fared roughly just as badly?

Wasn't it in "playtesting" for over a year?

>Necromancy is the school dealing with the body.

No it's not, it's the school dealing with death and disease.

That's what they get for not doing an open playtest.

A soldier would have at least had good Resolve out of the box, and heavy armor proficiency without having to spend a feat on it.

A 1st-level human melee soldier (blitz) can take Strength 18 and Dexterity 14 and be on their merry way.

Why does a solarian have to put up with, "Sorry, but your key ability modifier is Charisma?" That serves no mechanical purpose but to downgrade solarians with MAD.

A 1st-level human melee soldier (blitz) who does opt for Strength 18 and Dexterity 14 can then take the rest of their levels in solarian, with the usual Stellar Rush at solarian 2, Plasma Sheath at solarian 4, and Corona at solarian 6. This makes them a more practical and playable solarian than a pure-classed solarian ever could be.

Constitution is not particularly important for durability in Starfinder. Our first party had absolutely no trouble with the combat encounters, and they had Constitution scores of 10, 10, 10, and 12.

So I'm new to Golarion, and I'm wondering, what is the most secure area on the plane you can ask to be in?

I'm an alchemist running a series of doppleganger simulacrums and another series of clones of myself.

So I can sit in my summer home in a panic room, project my consciousness to a clone and accompany the party.
But where should I put my summer home? I'm concerned about creatures scrying my location, is there somewhere particularly safe I could locate myself?

Internally. But Paizo's the company that bans people for mentioning shit like Same Game Tests or any form of destructive testing/analysis, so it was probably just a few lunch break campaigns slowly patched together that ran up to around 10th level.

...heh. I have an idea.
Set up shop in one of the early rooms of the Test of the Starstone.

If anything, an open playtest would bring them several months back.

We all know Paizo is shit when it comes to game balance. Why do you think they keep throwing in several erratas and faqs?

They keep these shit hidden so they can show that they're working according to schedules.

Wait so wouldn't "this part doesn't work" or "there's no rules in regards to this situation" be basically banned from ever getting fixed because that might make someone's feelings lightly pinched?

Does Starfinder have Evasion? Because there's a lot of reflex stuff in there

Of course it does. Operatives get it at level 2, and plenty of monsters will have it later on. You didn't really think your soldier would get to do a bunch of area damage in practice did you?

Here is how I see a melee soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 19 spreading their ability scores, before theme and before personal upgrades:

• 1st-level: Strength 18, Dexterity 14, Constitution 10, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
• 5th-level: Strength 19, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 10
• 10th-level: Strength 20, Dexterity 18, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 14, Charisma 10
• 15th-level: Strength 21, Dexterity 19, Constitution 16, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 16, Charisma 10
• 20th-level: Strength 22, Dexterity 20, Constitution 18, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 18, Charisma 10

A nice thing here is that unlike a pure-classed solarian, a melee soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 19 will actually be raising their Wisdom, thereby making it less likely for them to succumb to Will-save-forcers.

Does anyone see an issue with such a progression?

8 separate posts when you could have just linked once to read instead of eating up that many threadposts. And half of them are "and here's why I'm right in choosing a stat without any way of people arguing against me".

Fuck off back to wherever you came from.

I could have sworn there was a sneak attack increasing spell, possibly level 4 or 5 wizard spell, that would give 4d6 at the highest applicable CL.

Anyone know the spell? Google mostly gives results on Arcane Trickster builds or spells that work well with sneak attack.

currently recruiting games are:
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/85043/bones-and-bed-shackles (ends this week...if it is real) - lewd AP
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/85418/mint-rebels-double-treason (ends next week) - rationalist spin on Hell's Rebels AP
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/84677/godslayers (ends in one month and a half) - kill gods, be mythic

Only those who have applied can get into the game. Finish your app, user!

>Solarian key ability score is CHA
>Uses CHA as a dump stat
>Only has one resolve point capacity
>"lol solarian worst class, tpk"

Tell me more.

Sense Vitals.

d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sense-vitals/

2nd level spell, goes up to 5d6

Again, to the question, "Why did you take Dexterity 14 and not Charisma 14?", I say:

1. There were no good opportunities to use Black Hole or Supernova in either battle. There were no enemies clustering up, and I do not expect non-animalistic enemies to do so in a setting wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace. Even if I did have good Charisma, it is not as though I would have been able to put Black Hole or Supernova to good use.
It was difficult to justify using AoE abilities on singular enemies when it would have been better to keep swinging with Weapon Focus and a +1 damage bonus. Having Charisma 14 (i.e. being hit more often) would not have changed that.

2. I felt justified in taking Dexterity 14. The extra 2 AC and initiative mattered. If I had opted for Charisma 14 instead, my character would have still been put into the ground by virtue of being hit more often. AC actually matters, particularly if one is the party's only frontliner. In other words, my character would have died regardless if they had Dexterity 14 and Charisma 10, Dexterity 12 and Charisma 12, or Dexterity 10 and Charisma 14.
If I had opted for Charisma 14, my character would have gone unconscious earlier, thereby forcing the other two PCs to scramble about to get me back on my feet.

Here is a direct quote from my GM concerning the solarian:

"I looked through solarion [sic] myself before the first iteration of this game, when I thought another friend of mine might be playing, and solarian was [not taken by me]. I really couldn't see a build any different to [mine] being anywhere near as good. Solarion [sic] simply isn't as cha-dependent as it wants to be, and where it is dependent- resolve points- it isn't dependent in a fun way."

Even my GM thought me justified in taking Dexterity 14 over Charisma 14, and it still did not pan out.

Meanwhile, a 1st-level human melee soldier (blitz) can take Strength 18 and Dexterity 14 and be on their merry way.

Nice, thanks. I've been looking for this for hours now.

Put both in your app one after another, then pick whichever one you like more later. You'll probably be rejected for timezone reasons anyway.

I can swear that if I were making Mint Rebels into a bamboozle, I would at least wait until second session to mysteriously dissapear. First session guaranteed happening.

What constitutes manufactured? It had to be crafted? What about creation spells?

Not a problem, friend.

Actually, Necromancy is the school that deals with life and death. Just as fire and ice are the same school so are positive and negative energy, which are the basis of both healing creatures and making undead.

That is quite literally what happened during PF's early days.

>WoW player, wants to 2h with oversized weapons. Also the "I want to sit back and let the rest of the party make the decisions" guy

It seems he wants to treat this as more of a wargame, and I think he's going to be a bit disappointed when he finds that martials aren't all that great. I'd encourage him to try and make a bit more of a well-rounded character rather than just the hulk on training wheels.

I mean, it *sounds* fun for a session, but it gets stale fast. The only person I've ever seen play that type of character for any length of time was an aspergers guy and he was also a wow fiend; responsible for two characters I know of a pink-haired gnome barbarian (WHO WAS A LESBIAN, DID SHE TELL YOU SHE WAS A LESBIAN?) who acted retarded all the time, and a large sized lizardfolk who acted similarly retarded (but with an added dose of raping anything he beat in combat!).

Is it safe to assume for my part that Pathfinder and Paizo games are settings which are all diverse and multiple fantasy-fiction elements and themes mixed together in one neat setting and universe. Even high fantasy and sci-fi worlds collide too?

Pic semi-related.

Really? I mean it would explain a lot, but, how do you write or design anything if you can't even take criticism or... you know... math... properly?

Less diverse and more kitchen sink.

It's the worst kind of kitchen-sink, so you're not wrong.

Except the tech sucks balls (magic items at x2 cost: "antimagic" field doesn't work there's cheaper and lower level anti-tech equivalents that work better), wizards are so disproportionately powerful and numerous for what they can do that there's no reason for any of the world to still be like it is, and the area with crashed starships and robots is right in the middle of four or five other countries that all somehow haven't figured it out yet.

>Less diverse and more kitchen sink

What's that supposed to mean? Layman's terms and in English please?

Different settings are stapled together with no regards for sanity, logic, or how they should by all rights influence one another.

And if those settings do interact, they are usually a self contained bubble within one region. And while those bubbles are from time to time really well written and far extending (Geb's bubble reaches all the way to the Land of the Linnorm Kings) they are usually as such only because one of their biggest fans is a big name in Paizo. Numeria for one has had a presence in only two AP's: Kingmaker as an off-shoot mention of how a character has some better than normal goodies and Iron Gods which is in Numeria.

As far as I can tell, the build below is the single most powerful solarian build for actually being a strong and durable combatant, starting from 1st level. I have already explained the troubles with being a pure-classed solarian above, and so it is time to patch those problems with some old-fashioned optimization.

• At 1st-level, you are a generic "tactical pike and hidden soldier armor" soldier. You act first, you run up to people, you stab them, and you threaten them with attacks of opportunity.

• At 2nd-level, you gain +1 damage. Hooray.

• At 3rd-level, your mobility sharply increases as you gain Stellar Rush. You should ignore the bull rush function in almost all cases. You should instead use Stellar Rush for unparalleled melee mobility.

• At 5th-level, you gain a major upgrade to your raw melee damage from Plasma Sheath. You start combat with a move action for Plasma Sheath, and then launch into a Stellar Rush. You also gain Enhanced Resistance (kinetic), making you quite durable.

• At 7th-level, you open up combats with a move action for a Plasma Sheath and a standard action for a Corona. You now have a passive aura for damage, and anyone striking you will suffer damage. Also at this level is when you might want to drop the tactical pike and start to use your solar weapon with a solarian weapon crystal.

• After that point, the build is mostly yours to piece together. Whether you will prefer your solar weapon with a solarian weapon crystal or a high-level two-handed advanced melee weapon depends on your specific level and what you have the budget to afford.

• During this process, you completely ignore the existence of Black Hole, Supernova, graviton mode, and almost all graviton revelations. Why bother with them when you can stay attuned in photon mode for the raw damage and other benefits? Photon zenith revelations, on the other hand, may be worth it from time to time.

Afaik that's because Golarion was literally stitched from fragments of authors' home settings. And if you look closely, you can even see the borders.

What do you think of the build below, then?

Theme: Any
Race: Human
Class: Soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 19

1st-level Equipment:
• 475 credits: Pike, tactical
• 465 credits: Hidden soldier armor (with free personal comm unit as per page 430)
• Remaining: 60 credits

Ability Scores before Theme and Personal Upgrades:
• 1st-level: Strength 18, Dexterity 14, Constitution 10, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
• 5th-level: Strength 19, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 10
• 10th-level: Strength 20, Dexterity 18, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 14, Charisma 10
• 15th-level: Strength 21, Dexterity 19, Constitution 16, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 16, Charisma 10
• 20th-level: Strength 22, Dexterity 20, Constitution 18, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 18, Charisma 10
• Top Priority for Personal Upgrades: Strength

Feats:
Human: Improved Initiative
• 1st Level: Weapon Focus (advanced melee weapons)
• 3rd Level: Weapon Specialization (advanced melee weapons), retrained at 4th level to [whichever out of Coordinated Shot, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, and Toughness you think will benefit you most] via mnemonic editor mk 1 for 500 credits
• 5th Level: Enhanced Resistance (kinetic)
• 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15, 17th, and 19th Level: [Whichever out of Deflect Projectiles, Lunge, Penetrating Attack, Reflect Projectiles, Sky Jockey, Step Up, Step Up and Strike you think will benefit you most, you qualify for, and you do not already have]

Have you considered that the rolls were too good vs. you, 2hu, and that's why you died?

Selectable Stellar Revelations:
• Solarian 2/Character Level 3: Stellar Rush
• Solarian 4/Character Level 5: Plasma Sheath
• Solarian 6/Character Level 7: Corona
• Solarian 8/Character Level 9: [Whichever out of Astrologic Sense, Blazing Orbit, or Glow of Life you think will benefit you most, though probably Blazing Orbit if your GM rules that the fire damage applies to each square]
• Solarian 9/Character Level 10: Solar Acceleration and Wormholes
• Solarian 10/Character Level 11: Soul Furnace
• Solarian 12/Character Level 13: [Whichever out of Astrologic Sense, Blazing Orbit, Glow of Life, Ray of Light, or Stealth Warp you think will benefit you most and you do not already have]
• Solarian 14/Character Level 15: Sunbolt
• Solarian 16/Character Level 17 and Solarian 18/Character Level 19: [Whichever out of Astrologic Sense, Blazing Orbit, Glow of Life, Ray of Light, Stealth Warp, or Ultimate Photon you think will benefit you most and you do not already have]

I still did not see much opportunities for Black Hole or Supernova. A melee soldier (blitz) would have had a healthy pool of 5 Resolve Points, heavy armor proficiency for free (thus saving a feat), +4 initiative, +10 speed in exchange for missing out on the solarian's +1 damage.

That is why the build I have just posted takes melee soldier (blitz) as its first character level.

These basically.

Also what is up with that image at though? Witcher fanart? 'Cause that there is a female Witcher character and some MIT college university student.

So which one of you is Brunel

i want to play a space merfolk in starfinder.
can i play a space merfolk in starfinder?

i want to have a spaceship filled with water that i float around in and then when we land on a planet the hatch opens and its like a awesome hottub. i want to explore alien oceans and find ancient sunken technologies and fight space seamonsters. i want my spaceship to turn into a submarine that we use to mine technomagic alien crystals underwater in dangerous areas for fun and profit. i want to have a space suit with a fish bowl helmet, and powered exoskeleton tail that lets me slither on land. cna i do that /pfg/?

At this point I have no words for how bad Paizo is at writing, honestly.

There is nothing wrong with kitchen sink

>Someone is actually willing to have 2hu as a player
Jesus.

2hu is Arkwright's waifu.

>Arkwright
Ah yes, the guy who moaned about his waifu being disliked.

Of course you can. One of the gas giants in the core solar system has a moon where a merfolk variant is the dominant species. I guess they will be in the monster book, but they were already statted for PF in People of the Stars or Distant Worlds. Dunno which one of these two.

For games that are more tactical War game slugfests and mechanical emphasis? 2hu would be a champion at the table. RP-centric? Not so much that I can see. Just make sure the table is mid-high op.

>RP-centric? Not so much that I can see.
You're right, there's not much reason to have 2hu as a player.

Oh damn, which waifu?

So what you're saying is there's no reason to have 2hu in your game unless you're Arkwright.

>Of course you can. One of the gas giants in the core solar system has a moon where a merfolk variant is the dominant species. I guess they will be in the monster book, but they were already statted for PF in People of the Stars or Distant Worlds. Dunno which one of these two.
YAY! thnx user, where can i find more info on this moon?

I've played that kind of game, it's its own kind of fun. Goes double if the group is around the same op level and the GM is good at tuning encounters. I don't know about Arkwright, but sometimes deep RP isn't what I want to do.

Say I was planning something stupid and wanted to make a human bloodrager with the fey bloodline, focusing on bull-rushing across difficult terrain and dishing out AOOs. What would I do to do this in the least gimped or minmaxy way? The assumed starting level is 3, and I'm fine with all 3pp content as long as I know where it's from.
Also, is there any way for this character to get any form of poison effect as a natural weapon? I've gotten a clear concept in my mind, but God knows I want to go through 3pp, APs and obscure PDFs for hours because of an idea that's probably completely unviable.
Also, what weapon would fit the best for this build? Theme is all well and good, but feats are limited and the build is already probably doomed by definition.

2hu, man. he's totally fucking gay for him.

The moon is called Kalo-Mahoi and it is described under it's planet Bretheda in the Core Book's "Setting" chapter.
There is also an description in the PF book "Distant Worlds" and the Merfolk race, the Kalo, are statted in "People of the Stars" on page 14.

>There were no enemies clustering up, and I do not expect non-animalistic enemies to do so in a setting wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace.

Well that's your problem then. Nothing in the book says "enemies should never stand close to each other" so that's a GM decision to design encounters that way. Also doesn't account for combat in rooms or other enclosed spaces where such spreading isn't possible. If your GM wants to render any and all AoE obsolete, he may do so, but it's a dick move. Fireballs were commonplace back in Pathfinder too so it's not really a convincing argument.

Fireballs have a way bigger radius.

The purpose of hostile npcs is not to beat the players, but to present interesting experiences

Campaign inspired by Heavy Metal when?

>tfw just want to play a spunky girl who goes on adventures and fights giant monsters
>tfw no good game to app to with this