Can we have a discussion on ERC20 tokens?

Can we have a discussion on ERC20 tokens?

Many new coins seem to be ERC20 tokens these days, including some big ones. ICON, LINK, REQ,...

My feeling is that they are completly dependant on Ethereum and therefore are literally useless. But many seem to disagree.

tl;dr is worth investing in ERC20 tokens?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cnK1E3yZGx0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Answer is yes.

Also ICON is not going to stay as an ERC20 Token for much longer, it will be moving to their own mainnet soon enough.

>almost every token i have is ERC20
is this why i'm never going to make it

This

Icon is particular is going to be seriously huge if true. It is singsong of block strain

Yep if youre going to buy erc20 just buy eth itself

Wow now you see the big picture lol...erc-20 off ethereum?? durdur... who is the boss ethereum...who will gain most unless those breakoff ethereum. who gains whens those icos sell off eth. ya dig

Everything moons except erc20 tokens unless the erc20 token is for a project that will not be an erc20 token

Not all ERC tokens need use the chainf or anything other but currency, so worse case scenario many coins can do a 1:1 swap with a none eth coin. Daps are the ones that oculd end up being in trouble

yes, SALT is an easy 2x if you get in now. launching within the week with an actual useful service

same goes for most of these bs icos too. they will die off slowly over the next few years. real ones will last....ada for the 2018 win ya diggss my nigss

True

Yeah, i honestly think so friend

ERC-20 are new to the crypto sphere. They barely scratch any of the total market cap, but we are starting to see billion dollar projects now. Next year they will benefit more and more from the global market cap.

There's also a lot of tokens that only use the platform as a placeholder. Many plan to move onto their own blockchain.

REQ is used to pay for the fees inside the network. The project is also blockchain agnostic. They are open to building their own blockchain or moving into a better one (like Ripple's, NEO's or the one Universa should deliver next year, for example).

LINK has no issues being a token since its use is to pay node operators. The project works by binding smart contracts from any blockchain with real world data.

The ERC-20 tokens that are doomed to fail are those without any use case or that want to work as a regular currency. Like, why do we need "EtherBitcoin" as an ERC-20 if we had actual Ether?

My two cents.

Exactly. Salt for example will only use the Ethereum network to move from exchanges to their platform or cold storage. Why would they bother making a network for that from the ground up.

what does ERC20 even stand for?

IMO it is already a given that Ethereum will be incredibly valuable in the future. This is why everyone on this board should be holding as much ETH as possible.

However, we are going to see certain ERC-20 tokens gain at rates higher than ETH itself and so it makes sense to wager some of your portfolio on those.

I think we will one day see a massive amount of tokens, and that is why I also invested some of my funds in Bancor / BNT - it is the only token providing perfect liquidity for ERC20 tokens.

It will take a while for the value to be seen, but the financial magic is there.

Ethereum already won crypto.

This whole “market” is going to plunge to nowhere and ethereum will be the last shining beacon amongst the rubble. You have a few months left.

>IMO it is already a given that Ethereum will be incredibly valuable in the future
Plasma was the project that supposedly would up the tx per second right? The moment ETH hops onto the thousands tps... That will be the moment. They have the upper hand in everything but this. They need to be free of things like crowded ICO and cryptokitties to stressing the network.

Weren't buttfinex making a exchange dedicated to ERC20 tokens called Ethfinex? Is that still happening?

Google it you daft cunt

>Plasma was the project that supposedly would up the tx per second right? The moment ETH hops onto the thousands tps... That will be the moment. They have the upper hand in everything but this. They need to be free of things like crowded ICO and cryptokitties to stressing the network.

100% dead on. I clearly don't need to proselytize (because I think we're in agreement) - I'm just trying to horde ETH and a few interesting ERC20 tokens desu.

lightning network will surpass even plasma in tx/sec

We could still see a flippening though, but I doubt it.

i think its really cute that people think erc-20 tokens are useless and dependant on ethereum.

Of course they are dependent on the ethereum, the purpose of ethereum is literally to build dapps on it and use erc-20 tokens as the transacting unit on the network, ethereum is just the gas. if there are no useful erc-20 tokens coming out then ethereum is as good as dead

But LN is actually alive or what? I'd love Lightning Network to be here, honestly. Bitcoin is currently a slow and expensive piece of crap.

They are also missing smart contracts and the chance of having dapps.

Lightning network won't solve the current btc problems. Ethereum has doomed BTC's existence, it's just dumbfucks / normies don't get it yet and are being milked.
ERC20 is like the best thing that happened to crypto, in SW environment standardization is king

>My feeling is that they are completly dependant on Ethereum and therefore are literally useless.
Yep.

lol just exchange to BTC

more like a few years; chill

if more people actually knew about how Lightning Network actually intends to work, the more people would realise it is dumb.

You need to pre-fund a tunnel between one of your address and a target address. This locks up your btc. Then you can very quickly allocate more and more of your prefunded bitcoins to the target address, as and when you spend it. Each addition is very quick (immediate) and off-chain. That's the Lightning Network.
Issues:
- you still have to pay $30 fees to start the tunnel
- you need to prefund for each target address so if you intend to spend money for coffee, groceries etc you would have to lock up your funds
- cancelling the tunnel to release the funds is another on-chain transaction (ie another $30)
- most wallet won't let you do it at the moment

so there you go, LN is a big red herring

I need to do my own research because i've read stuff like that and it sounds like obvious fud since it really can't be like that if it's going to work.

And this is why Bitcoin will end up centralised. An obvious solution is just store all your BTC somewhere like coinbase who will have a tunnel set up with every retailer.

Ethereum forever.

So how is Plasma going to be any different? We need offchaining to get to scale.

useless or not, I made 500k with WAX ICO. I just instantly dumped all my tokens lel

>So how is Plasma going to be any different? We need offchaining to get to scale.
Lighting Network is the same as Raiden Network.
Plasma however allows you to create a full blockchain on top of the existing ethereum blockchain. It is more flexible, it allows a contract to do transactions off-chain.

But I agree I'm not sure this will be a panacea for ethereum

This 100% true.
>give us your bitcoin
>we will keep it safe
>give you these handy ious you can easily spend
its digital fiat.

I have a video explaining dApps and those token standards here

youtu.be/cnK1E3yZGx0

Literally the same scheme pulled by goldsmiths.