/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

My Kingdom For A Horse Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/mo699dks2x16kom/Osprey - CAM 066 - Bosworth 1485.pdf
mediafire.com/download/896xm4tjmz2h9vq/Osprey - MAA 145 - The Wars of the Roses.pdf
mediafire.com/download/xj5jl6n7pmsd3lf/Osprey - WAR 035 - English Medieval Knight 1400-1500.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=H6EQndw8Cdw
plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=46
youtube.com/watch?v=vuThpe-Rgxs&t=4s&ab_channel=RymDeCoster
mega.nz/#!noNB2BhD!hMra1W9Esvp-qSOwjOUqxxal9YFm5cFFHQcav7tvdus
deaths.dompost.co.nz/obituaries/dominion-post-nz/obituary.aspx?n=richard-plantagenet&pid=186440842
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

August the 22nd in military history:

851 – Battle of Jengland: Erispoe defeats Charles the Bald near the Breton town of Jengland.
1138 – Battle of the Standard between Scotland and England.
1485 – The Battle of Bosworth Field, the death of Richard III and the end of the House of Plantagenet.
1642 – Charles I calls the English Parliament traitors: the English Civil War begins.
1717 – Spanish troops land on Sardinia.
1770 – James Cook names and lands on Possession Island, Queensland and claims the east coast of Australia as New South Wales in the name of King George III.
1777 – American Revolutionary War: British forces abandon the Siege of Fort Stanwix after hearing rumors of Continental Army reinforcements.
1791 – Beginning of the Haitian Slave Revolution in Saint-Domingue.
1798 – French troops land in Kilcummin harbour, County Mayo, Ireland to aid Wolfe Tone's United Irishmen's Irish Rebellion.
1831 – Nat Turner's slave rebellion commences just after midnight in Southampton County, Virginia.
1849 – The first air raid in history: Austria launches pilotless balloons against the city of Venice.
1864 – Twelve nations sign the First Geneva Convention.
1922 – Michael Collins, Commander-in-chief of the Irish Free State Army, is shot dead during an Anti-Treaty ambush at Béal na Bláth, County Cork, during the Irish Civil War.
1941 – World War II: German troops reach Leningrad.
1942 – World War II: Brazil declares war on Germany and Italy.
1944 – World War II: Romania is captured by the Soviet Union.
1944 – World War II: Holocaust of Kedros in Crete by German forces.
1978 – The Sandinista National Liberation Front (FLSN) occupies the National Palace in Nicaragua.

It is 532 years since the Battle of Bosworth Field, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses. It was won by the Lancastrians; and their leader Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond, by his victory became the first English monarch of the Tudor dynasty. His opponent, Richard III, the last king of the House of York, was killed in the battle. Historians consider Bosworth Field to mark the end of the Plantagenet dynasty, making it a defining moment of English and Welsh history.

In the wake of a failed uprising against Richard III in 1483, Henry had fled to Brittany. That Christmas he proclaimed his intention to marry Elizabeth of York, the daughter of the late King Edward IV, in an effort to unite the Houses of York and Lancaster and advance his own claim to the English throne. Betrayed by the Duke of Brittany, Henry and his supporters were compelled to move to France the following year. On April 16, 1485, Richard's wife Anne Neville died clearing the way for him to marry Elizabeth instead.

This threatened Henry's efforts to unite his supporters with those of Edward IV who saw Richard as a usurper. Richard's position was undercut by rumors that he had Anne killed to allow him to marry Elizabeth which alienated some of his backers. Eager to prevent Richard from marrying his prospective bride, Henry mustered 2,000 men and sailed on August 1. Landing at Milford Haven seven days later, he quickly captured Dale Castle. Moving east, Henry worked to enlarge his army and gained the support of several Welsh leaders.

Alerted to Henry's landing on August 11, Richard ordered his army to muster at Leicester. Moving slowly through Staffordshire, Henry sought to delay battle until his forces had grown. A wildcard in the campaign were the forces of Thomas Stanley, Baron Stanley and his brother Sir William Stanley. During the Wars of the Roses, the Stanleys, who could field a large number of troops, had generally withheld their loyalty until it was clear which side would win.

Before departing France, Henry had been in communication with the Stanleys to seek their support. Upon learning of the landing at Milford Haven, the Stanleys had mustered around 6,000 men and had effectively screened Henry's advance. During this time, he continued to meet with the brothers with the goal of securing their loyalty and support. Arriving at Leicester on August 20, Richard united with John Howard, Duke of Norfolk, one of his most trusted commanders, and the next day was joined by Henry Percy, Duke of Northumberland.

Pressing west with around 10,000 men, they intended to block Henry's advance. Moving through Sutton Cheney, Richard's army assumed a position to the southwest on Ambion Hill and made camp. Henry's 5,000 men camped a short distance away at White Moors, while the fence-sitting Stanleys were to the south near Dadlington. The next morning, Richard's forces formed on the hill with the vanguard under Norfolk on the right and the rearguard under Northumberland to the left. Henry, an inexperienced military leader, turned command of his army over to John de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

Dispatching messengers to the Stanleys, Henry asked them to declare their allegiance. Dodging the request, the Stanleys stated that they would offer their support once Henry had formed his men and issued his orders. Forced to move forward alone, Oxford formed Henry's smaller army into a single, compact block rather than dividing it into the traditional "battles." Advancing towards the hill, Oxford's right flank was protected by a marshy area. Harassing Oxford's men with artillery fire, Richard ordered Norfolk to move forward and attack.

After exchanges of arrows, the two forces collided and hand-to-hand combat ensued. Forming his men into an attacking wedge, Oxford's troops began to gain the upper hand. With Norfolk under heavy pressure, Richard called for aid from Northumberland. This was not forthcoming and the rearguard did not move. While some speculate that this was due to personal animosity between the duke and king, others argue that the terrain prevented Northumberland from reaching the fight. The situation worsened when Norfolk was struck in the face with an arrow and killed.

With the battle raging, Henry decided to move forward with his lifeguard to meet the Stanleys. Spotting this move, Richard sought to end the fight by killing Henry. Leading forward a body of 800 cavalry, Richard skirted around the main battle and charged after Henry's group. Slamming into them, Richard killed Henry's standard bearer and several of his bodyguards. Seeing this, Sir William Stanley led his men into the fight in defense of Henry. Surging forward, they nearly surrounded the king's men. Pushed back towards the marsh, Richard was unhorsed and forced to fight on foot. Fighting bravely to the end, Richard was finally cut down. Learning of Richard's death, Northumberland's men began to withdraw and those battling Oxford fled.

Though there are no contemporary accounts of the battle, it is generally accepted that it lasted about two to three hours. Losses are not known with any precision though some sources indicate that the Yorkists suffered 1,000 dead, while Henry's army lost 100. The accuracy of these numbers is a subject of debate. After the battle, legend states that Richard's crown was found in a hawthorn bush near where he died. Regardless, Henry was crowned king later that day on a hill near Stoke Golding.

Henry, now King Henry VII, had Richard's body stripped and thrown over a horse to be taken to Leicester. There it was displayed for two days to prove that Richard was dead. Moving to London, Henry consolidated his hold on power, establishing the Tudor Dynasty. Following his official coronation on October 30, he made good his pledge to marry Elizabeth of York. While Bosworth Field effectively decided the Wars of the Roses, Henry was forced to fight again two years later at the Battle of Stoke Field to defend his newly-won crown.

This is a truly classic battle of English history and a really significant medieval encounter. High Medieval wargamers will love it. Recently it has returned to the public consciousness with the rediscovery and reburial of Richard. His skeleton had 11 wounds, eight of them to the skull, clearly inflicted in battle and suggesting he had lost his helmet. Professor Guy Rutty, from the University of Leicester, said: "The most likely injuries to have caused the king's death are the two to the inferior aspect of the skull—a large sharp force trauma possibly from a sword or staff weapon, such as a halberd or bill, and a penetrating injury from the tip of an edged weapon." The skull showed that a blade had hacked away part of the rear of the skull. King Richard III was the last English king to be killed in battle.

mediafire.com/download/mo699dks2x16kom/Osprey - CAM 066 - Bosworth 1485.pdf
mediafire.com/download/896xm4tjmz2h9vq/Osprey - MAA 145 - The Wars of the Roses.pdf
mediafire.com/download/xj5jl6n7pmsd3lf/Osprey - WAR 035 - English Medieval Knight 1400-1500.pdf

It is 168 years since the first air raid in history, when unmanned Austrian balloons dropped bombs on Venice, causing little damage and no casualties.

In 1848, a year during which revolutions swept through Europe, Venice declared itself a republic and rose against Austrian rule. The Austrians retaliated by blockading the city, causing starvation, disease and hunger. Although they beleaguered the city by land and sea, their siege artillery couldn’t get close enough to bear fire on the whole city because of its formidable coastal defenses and shallow lagoons.

A young artillery lieutenant named von Uchatius hatched the idea of the explosive-carrying balloons. The first attempt, carried out on July 12 failed because the wind was not in Austria’s favor.

An eyewitness account: “The balloons appeared to rise to about 4,500 ft. Then they exploded in midair or fell into the water, or, blown by a sudden southeast wind, sped over the city and dropped on the besiegers. Venetians, abandoning their homes, crowded into the streets and squares to enjoy the strange spectacle. … When a cloud of smoke appeared in the air to make an explosion, all clapped and shouted. Applause was greatest when the balloons blew over the Austrian forces and exploded, and in such cases the Venetians added cries of ‘Bravo!’ and ‘Good appetite!’”

In the second attempt, on Aug. 22, the balloons, measuring 5.7 meters in diameter and using “charcoal and greasy cotton as a continuous combustion source,” were released from a “stable platform at sea".

About 200 balloons, carrying 33 pounds of explosives and armed with half-hour time fuses, were launched into Venice that day. The balloons caused minimal damage and some even blew back towards the Austrians. It is claimed that the balloons did have a substantial psychological effect. Whether out of balloon-related fear or due to exhaustion and starvation, the Venetians would surrender two days later.

To the 28mm TYW user - I've started working on a TYW skirmish set, can share it if you're interested.

Sure, I'm about to work on something similar so I'd appreciate some pictures if only as reference materiel.

I have a 15% one, might not work for everyone though
BUILDMYFORCE

I meant a ruleset, sorry. Take a look, but note that it's an early draft.

>youtube.com/watch?v=H6EQndw8Cdw

A children's animated movie has never made me want to start a new army so much

>tfw I got the Revell and Caesar Conquistadors today
>will expand into Italian Wars
>all the sweet new RedBox Spanish
It's truly the greatest time to be alive. Any relevant books besides Ospreys?

Natives or conquistadors?

Why is 30 years war-era europe the most /aesthetic/?

>not Napoleonic-era Europe
It's like you don't even want fancy as fuck uniforms and beautiful ships of war

Really? The early 17th century wasn't fancy?

Yeah these ships are hideous.

The 15th century also had its moments.

18th century Europe lacked the flamboyant masculinity of 16/17th century

Would someone have a link for a searchable BP rules pdf?

Do you have a link to the Redbox Spanish? I can't find them.

plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=46

They also do Italians and Landsknechts as well. They pretty much cover the entire Italian Wars by themselves, all that'd needed are some heavy cavalry in full plate.

Anyone got an recommendations for plastic Normans in 28mm?

BMP

Conquest games. They're pretty much the only people who do them.

PULLO
FORMATION

On the one hand, waifu posting is the lowest form of posting.

On the other hand, I never get a chance to post this

Ugly monster feet and no organs in chest cavity. 0/10 would not testudo with

Reenactor bro here with a super late response to the guy from last thread.

So German reenactors are a mixed bag. I'm sort of using German here as a catch all term for Third Reich reenactors, but there's Germans in pretty much every time period. I'm from California, so our two big German reenactor communities are for WWI and WWII.

The WWI guys are nice. One of my pards is a German storm trooper on the side. Most of these guys care more for the history than they do for the politics. They're currently on an event hiatus since OSHA shut down their event site since the trenches weren't modernized.

WWII is a different story. Since WWII is still fairly recent compared to the War Between the States or the Revolution, there's still a lot of politics going on there. Germans around there range from guys who are interested in German military history (usually Heer and Fallschrimjagers) to straight up closeted fascists (Usually the SS, of course, and he occasional on the ground Luftwaffe)

There's a sort of negative stereotype in the whole of the living history community across all time periods towards Third Reich reenactors. They're typically viewed as literal stitch Nazis, obsessed with maintaining an absolute perfection of uniform to the point of actually looking farby with their prick and prim uniforms out on the front. They also have a reputation of having no tact, sometimes outright talking about holocaust conspiracies and shit like that. Overall they're a mixture of wehraboos and actual literal Nazis, but the allies need someone to shoot at so who am I to blame. Besides, they keep people off of our asses.

I've been working on an /awg/ ruleset and I found this to be a useful video, just on how to write good rules.

youtube.com/watch?v=vuThpe-Rgxs&t=4s&ab_channel=RymDeCoster

@Dan Baldwin. I know you're here. Just reply senpai and I wont tease you

Just finished my weekly WiF night, M/A 1942, I sunk the first Japanese carrier of the war. With the Soviets. To be honest, it's not that game-changing, and the one I got was a pretty shitty carrier (the Hiyo), but I'm giggling like a 10 year old about it.

We really need to do the old monthly community project, it was a lot of fun seeing what people came up with and was a good excuse to get creative.

Also it might breathe some life into this general again, since things have been somewhat slow lately.

I'd be down for that. I think it fell away cause real life got in the way. But first we need to come up with some ideas for it.

Was the guy that originally asked about the souther thing. Good to hear you've not got such a rough time of things. I know some other groups get shat on hard.

While it's true, both world wars are relatively recent still, it's pretty ridiculous how it's so badwrong to dress up like a confed or a heer dude, yet so many other things get a pass.

Anyhoo, I'll shush up and get back on topic.

Cheers user, will watch this later today.

>trenches shut down since they weren't modernized

If only OSHA could have told the entente that.

Are there any reenactors for Italy or Japan?

I'd be willing to participate.

Anyone know what happened to that Bolt Action campaign poster? I was wondering how it was going.

Italy I think has one unit here in Cali but I've not met any of them. We have two Japanese units and the guys there are pretty dedicated. One of them, 2nd Sendai, recently disbanded but a few of its younger members are reorganizing into a new division. This being Cali we have a lot of late war Pacific events.

I've hung out with the IJA before. They're cool dudes but sticklers for military discipline, which we rebs tend to lack.

Is there a ruleset where I can build an entire army from a single box of Victrix Republican Romans?

Possibly DBA? At the larger scales it doesn't use many minis at all
For example pic related is a complete Polybian Romans army (using the list in DBA Book II/33)

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

I'm running a few playtests of a modern tank warfare ruleset in 6mm, using some of the spotting/target engagement mechanics from Snakes and Slicks, with some additional provisions for tanks and such. The idea is that you could play it as a separate tank game, or combine it with Snakes and Slicks for a more complex experience. S&S abstracts ground vehicles, this game will abstract helicopters. At some point I'm going to look at adding CAS in as well.

I'm using the Yom Kippur War for the playtests and probably the setting for the game. The playtest pitched a squadron of Sho'ts against some T-55s and PT-76s.

The attacking T-55s were slaughtered, their poor gun depression/elevation giving them penalties to target the Israeli Centurions on the high ground.

A PT-76 did manage to turn the Israeli flank, knocking out a single Sho't before being annihilated by a barrage of HESH shells.

I can't even imagine how bad Partisan reenactment would be in that respect

Well, we definitely know one thing about it: American player failed to show up.

>waifu posting is the best form of posting
ftfy

>spoiler

No shit. The game hadn't hit early 1942 yet.

Sheesh. It's a historical wargame. Learn your history.

Black Powder and it's family of rules are my club's favourite rules and we've been playing it for several years. They even make house rules to use them in other periods like WW1. However I'm growing increasing unhappy with it's roll to activate command and control system.

It just doesn't produce games I enjoy. I can't think of a single game I've been in where one side won because of a genuinely clever move. I can however think of plenty on games where one side lost because couldn't move their troops and I don't find it fun winning or losing because of that. I'm aware that with proper care during order you can keep the whole army close together so one lucky dice roll doesn't send one brigade off one their own but there are usually some objectives, the threat of reinforcements or just the desire to actually see some combat before 10pm to make one or both sides hurry up.

Looking at the recent games I've played. Saxons lost to Normans who shot the Saxon shieldwall to death with skirmishers just outside of initiative move range. 100 days French on the offensive lost because half their army spent the whole game not moving. AWI Americans only got to the British positions 10 minutes before pack up time and only because they blunder forwards several times. A ECW game where not a single P&S block made it into combat with each other. A WW1 game where the Germans started just behind their trenches. The Brits crossed no man's land and 2 lines of wire to make it into the German trenches first.

These sort of games don't seem to discourage my club at all. There is only one other person at my club who dislikes these rules and he hardly ever comes. I have convinced him to give me a demo game of ADLG some time. Overall I'd say BP doesn't let me pretend to be a great general instead it forces me to feel like a weak general. It's like a racing game where the drivers are learners that keep stalling and jumping forwards.

Common experience.

If your club is happy with houserules, why don't you apply some to this as well? Haven't played it yet, but the "failed command roll, no activation at all" is the rule we won't use under any circumstances. Get a fix move that you get regardless of the result fo the command roll, then 0-2 more based on that roll.

It's a good idea but one that would require my club to feel it's a problem that needs fixing.

If nobody else is willing to at least give it a try, just to see how it changes the game I'd be surprised.
I mean, if someone told me this is something they are genuinely bothered by, I'd at least give it a shot.

Anyone had any experience with Dues Vult Burn & Loot? I'm looking for a middle ages massed rank game that is actually supported.

...by asking about a skirmish game?

huh, I always thought it was ranked

any other suggestions? Impetus seems okay but I'm don't think there's many players near me (Glasgow)

Standard Deus Vult is mass combat, B&L is the skirmish offspring.

It's on my shelf, but it's yet to be played. I need to at least base two armies to try it...which needs to be done after I've set up a table at home...which needs me to remove all the clutter my grandfather left after he died, so will prolly report back with a review next year. But it seems solid and seems more geared towards medieval games as opposed to most others that take ancients and medievals together and put them in a blender.

Partisans are actually fairly apolitical. The group we have out here in French resistance and most of the folks there portray Irish Civil War and Confederate Partisans on the side. I'm not all too sure about the other areas, though.

Because late renaissance fashion was lit and so was the gunpowder.

If it's Glasgow Scotland then there are a few clubs from there I've seen putting on games at the Scottish wargames shows. There should be some historical gamers interested in medievals among the clubs if you're able to have a look.

Preaching to the choir. Our club had pretty much the same experiences you mentioned with games decided by activation rolls, the majority of units on either side not showing up, or battles not happening at all. Sadly the "Oooo, new & shiny!" mindset had most jumping on the BP bandwagon and even buying minis for it.

As it stand now, our group is essentially two groups. Those still slogging through boring BP matches and those who have dropped BP to return to other rule sets. Last month we had a 4-man BP match which wasn't even close to finishing by midnight being played alongside a couple of DBM matches which were quick enough to allow the players to switch sides and play again plus a ACW ironclad brawl.

Guess who played more and had more fun?

Great synopsis, OP. Thanks.

I saw an interesting BBC program about Richard recently. Here in the US the PBS network routinely imports BBC stuff and re-brands it. The program was one of those "twin track" types with two stories being told separately. You had forensic types, historians, and others examining and testing Richard's remains while some very hard core medieval reenactors took a look at Bosworth.

They found a young man of about Richard's height & weight who also has scoliosis. They trained him in various fighting techniques, taught him how to ride, etc. They even had period armor specifically tailored to his unbalanced torso made. A couple things surprised them.

1st, the medieval saddle with it's high rear and front helped the young man maintain his balance while mounted. He'd had trouble with the smaller modern saddle. 2nd, the armor itself acted like bracing and helped his balance too. The young man spoke about how supported him and didn't let things shift about.

After a few months of training and being fitted with his armor, the young man was able to successfully recreate Richard's cross battlefield charge against Henry's forces. He galloped a km or two across a field, carrying a lance, and put that lance right on target at the end. He was also able to swing and make contact with a nasty looking warhammer while charging past various other targets.

I'm sure they glossed over many things and ignored others, it is TV after all, but it was interesting to watch.

>doesn't let me pretend to be a great general instead it forces me to feel like a weak general.

Read some history, then recognise that historical wargames are often attempting to simulate, you know, history. Your examples make me think "hmm, sounds suprisingly realistic for warlord games"

Not everyone wants to simulate not getting to do shit during a game due to poor dice luck.

Key part of wargaming is the game bit.

>scabbard on left side

I must also rate this 0/10. Would not stand in front of in formation.

>Read some history, then recognise that historical wargames are often attempting to simulate, you know, history.

Nice insult, user, and nice way to purposely misrepresent 's valid complaints too.

I'm okay with an operational or strategic level game "thwarting" my attempts to bring the enemy to battle. That sort of event is an important part of the simulation at that level. It's one of the things which makes Miranda's "Wars of the Imperial Age" so much fun for me.

Having the same thing happen at a tactical or grand tactical scale, however, is misplaced. While I can accept misplaced orders, commanders with the "slows", and other fortunes of war, at that level both sides are in contact and the battle has been joined. Having a C3I system in a set of TACTICAL rules which then prevents any battle from occurring whatsoever is just plain wrong. And BP's poor rules do just that.

Putting it another way, I'm okay with Soult spending the day marching back and forth because Quatre Bras and Ligny are still being fought.

Black Powder is a poor rules set . It's "new & shiny" more than anything else.

It definitely depends on the area though. In the south, Confederate reenactors tend to be more political, whereas the German groups try to weed out any "true believers". But ymmv, and it really does depend on the individual groups.

>It's "new & shiny" more than anything else.
It's not even new anymore. It's got a big brand behind it and a glossy book, but it's "empty" and bland at best, at worst it's frustrating.

Play games with better command and control rules Like Blucher

>It's not even new anymore.

Hence my use of quotes, fellow grognard.

As minis rules go, BP is still relatively new. As you note, it's also got branding and cool pics to look at.

New is a relative term in wargaming. Our group uses a set of AIW rules published by TSR in the 70s, for example, and TSR's "Tricolor" was on the table earlier this year.

I'd also be willing to participate if someone was to suggest a theme

I miss it too.

Off the top of my head, things that were possibilities but never got done were one-off/prototype, animals, maybe one or two others. Another one I don't think we've done are garrison/militia/second stringers. Repair/engineers/field smith what have you might be another idea.

I'd be game for engineers or animals since I've got some of that on the back-burner anyway

Well given that the original intent of the project was to get people working on stuff they wouldn't have otherwise been working on or had been putting off, that'd be perfect. Maybe we could get one or two more topics and do a strawpoll. Maybe set it to start on September 16th so folks have time to lay hands on stuff if they've been wanting to do it, but don't actually have it on hand.

That sounds excellent.

So, the T-55's +18 degree elevation was worse than the Centurion's -12 degrees?

Despite not being vaguely historical that game was super fun.

I gave the Israeli's a scenario-specific special rule allowing them to put a number of tanks on elevated ramps to improve their gun depression and engage the T-55's better.

I've met a few Southerners from back East and I can typically attest to them being fairly political. Something I've noticed among other rebs is that the more farby the uniform the less they know about the war and are just in it for the politics.

I notice more and more people see the ''warmaster'' system used in Black Powder, Hail Caesar and Pike & Shot as a bad thing.

I have been playing Hail Caesar with my gaming group and it wouldn't be my first choice either. That being said, I have noticed that the system works better if you have a very big game. So instead of 10 or 15 units per side, try 50. It works OK for that and you get a conclusion.

I like the Blucher system more, but my gaming group are all GW converts that are hard pressed to try something new..

Yep, I've lost count of all the times I've heard "war between the states" or even "war of northern aggression" from the rebs down here. Meanwhile, my group gave a guy the boot because he made a joke in front of the public that was fairly political. BTW, is there any board here where you could find threads about reenacting? I tried /k, and then /his, but neither of them had it.

Avoid /k/ like the plague, you might have better luck in /cgl/, they have a larping thread which might be able to point you in the right direction.

I went to a lecture by an expert in the field of the WotR and he actually mentioned that. The short of it was, while entertaining, we already knew he could do all those things because the sources report that he did them! It wasn't really uncovering anything new rather than just retreading it in his view. Still interesting.

There's another where they reconstruct the skull of a man involved at towton. The poor guy had survived a particularly nasty smash to the face.

Unfortunately the experts name escapes me now.

>tfw got the bug for Anglo-Saxons but kind of want to throw in other plastics like Frostgrave Barbarians to copy that guy who makes these

Definitely. Plus, if you've got boatloads of botes, you can try out serious Age of Sail rules using them before you upgrade.

Posting this because I believe an user requested it a few threads back, and it's finally popped up online

British Battle Tanks: British-made tanks of World War II (Osprey General Military)

Plagued by unreliable vehicles and poorly thought-out doctrine, the early years of World War II were years of struggle for Britain's tank corps. Relying on tanks built in the late 1930s, and those designed and built with limited resources in the opening years of the war, they battled valiantly against an opponent well versed in the arts of armoured warfare. This book is the second of a multi-volume history of British tanks by renowned British armour expert David Fletcher MBE. It covers the development and use of the Matilda, Crusader, and Valentine tanks that pushed back the Axis in North Africa, the much-improved Churchill that fought with distinction from North Africa to Normandy, and the excellent Cromwell tank of 1944-45. It also looks at Britain's super-heavy tank projects, the TOG1 and TOG2, and the Tortoise heavy assault tank, designed to smash through the toughest of battlefield conditions, but never put into production.

mega.nz/#!noNB2BhD!hMra1W9Esvp-qSOwjOUqxxal9YFm5cFFHQcav7tvdus

why not? The Frostgrave soldiers and barbarians just wear rags and furs. They are not period specific. As long as you carefully pick helmets and weapon bits it's not even necessarily historically inaccurate.

You're my favorite, user.

I live in York and people here are still salty Richard got buried in Leicester.

People still keep the old tradition of posting his death notice in the paper on August 25th, even out here in NZ:
deaths.dompost.co.nz/obituaries/dominion-post-nz/obituary.aspx?n=richard-plantagenet&pid=186440842
I know he's always had his partisans who have fought against Shakespeare's famous slander; at least the discovery of his remains finally put all the old stories about deformities to rest

Are there any good 6mm medieval rulesets?

A lot of games work on base size rather than unit scale, so most systems will do fine
I know DBM specifically looks great in 6mm
Pic related is an example from Impetus, it's a complete Castilian/Aragonese army from the 1470s

Awesome! Thanks!

got a Blitzkrieg minis T-55 (It's a T-54 really) today, 1/56. It's lovely, bar the warped and miscast barrel, and the flash around the tracks. And the poor casting under the fenders.
Time to brass rod and dremel...
:(