Elves and dwarves as two genders of the same species

Elves and dwarves as two genders of the same species.

Discus.

Yes I'm aware of the typo.

Seems like something a video game would do to save time, rather than anything that would actually add to a setting

Who is the anvil and who is the hammer?

That's retarded, but it would make the mutual hate more fun.

Dwarves are the females, correct?

OP is a faggot. This thread is now about adapting discus-fish-people to a D&D-like setting.

>Dwarfs
>Natural tanks
>Receive all the damage, deal with the consequences

>Elves
>Natural Rogues
>Slip into vulnerable areas, get the job done and move on before the backlash

It doesn't really make sense if they're not.

This would eliminate some of my favorite characters, and some very important characters for fantasy overall. So a big no. And fuck you

>same race
>can't procreate
>need humans as a proxy
>the children are either elf or dwarf, not human

My brother of Norse decent.

>elves and dwarves are different ethnicities of the same race
Fixed

That's some pretty extreme sexual dimorphism, but I'd be alright with it

Precisely.

Perhaps you mean "sexes"?

I identify as a dwarf (gender non-conforming of course), and you can't say that's stupid because your sacred cow Discworld did it!

>hating on based Discworld

Come on now, there is a point where you need to stop user.

Oh my Goddess, did you just assume my gender? I'm LITERALLY shaking right now. I just... I can't even right now. I mean, come on guys! It's 2017!

But dwarfs have sexes in discworld.

Goblins are evil elves and kobolds are corrupted dwarves

Discus

Slightly better than OPs shit.

I'm actually ok with this.

I mean, other than the downside of there being no male elves and female dwarves, it could be interesting. If the elves and dwarves retained most of their values and culture the mashup of those two societies would be pretty cool.

Some compromises would have to be made, however, seeing as how in many ways elves and dwarves are made to be opposites of one another. Dwarves being industrious and city-building and elves being harmonious with nature would not gel. You'd have to lean more in one direction and have some sprinkles of the other.

A highly sexual dimorphized race is a cool idea though and I think I'll adapt it for my next setting (or fit it in somewhere appropriate in the current one)

I can't this being done by a girl, sorry.

Hi. I know you're making an SJW joke (a tired bad one) but what you just said had literally no relevance to the quote you posted. Sex is the technically correct term for what OP was describing.

Your post a shit.

Gnomes are like that worm guy from Hunter x Hunter and dwarves are pic related.

>I'M OFFENDERED IF ELFGENDERED

Nah, make the elves the males and the dwarves the females.

All I said was, I don't see the need for a game to give a player the mechanical option to choose "wizard" as their class written on their character sheet, and then refuse to actually know any magic. I think if you're a wizard it's understood that magic is what you do, and if you're a fake wizard then you should pick another class and just say you're a wizard in-character. Anything else would be needless disconnection from a mechanical standpoint.
Some asshole user replied ">what is Discworld" as if a series of BOOKS was the end-all-be-all of GAME design and just saying the name was an argument.
You fucking Discworld fans always act like this. "Discworld did it!" Yeah but I don't want to do it in my game. "But Discwooooooooorld!!!"

One concept I have found interesting (although I wouldn't necessarily make them humanoid and certainly not make them absolute analogues) is a three gender species based on Elves, Half Elves, and Humans.

The humans are analogous to males, they are slightly stronger and more durable than the females and are much shorter lived. Elves are analogous to their females they are weaker but are more dextrous and magically inclined. A third sterile sexless group fill the roles of half elves they are innate diplomats being able to quickly pick up other languages and picking up on social cues innately.

In the society males do the bulk of the physical labour they are farmers, workers, and make up the bulk of the armies. Females act as craftswomen and mages if needed fighting alongside the men in battle. The sexless third gender act as diplomats maintaining relations with other tribes, kingdoms, and races. When it comes to leadership each gender has their own area of leadership, men are leaders in warfare, generals are always males even commanding the female mages, females are social and religious leaders due to their innate magical ability they are seen as being more in tune with the gods while their long lifespans result in them being seen as protectors of the old ways. The sexless gender are political leaders deciding on matters of trade, alliances, declarations of war, and the like, since they never have their own offspring they are seen as unbiased (or at least less biased than the other genders) and also serve as judges.

The sex ratio between males and females are about 10 males per female but due to the longer lifespans of females the actual population at any one time is about 1:1 with females living about ten times longer than males. The sexless gender is significantly less common making up about 1-5% of all births and having similar lifespans to the males. When it comes to sex and marriage the females are semi-polyandrous they only have a single male partner at a time but when their partner dies they take a new partner. Females are tasked with childrearing with fathers having little role in childrearing although children still know their fathers and spend time with them they aren't seen as an authoritative figure and if they seek to reprimand a child would seek to do so through the mother. The sexless gender have no children since they are sexless and thus sterile and generally have few or no relations with their extended family with the gender mostly keeping to itself.

but that's not a dwarf

They use mechs made of water filled sponges to walk on land.

Yup, apologies. I am the dumb.

Came here to post this. Good job, chaps.

I like this idea a lot, but I'm less fond of it being with humans and elves. I think the male race could be Ogres, Trolls, Goblins, etc., and the third sex could still be some form of halfbreed, but what would a good race be for the females except for Elves or Drow?

Huldr

My setting pretty much female have Glamour and males dont