MTG Lore Thread: Stop It WotC Edition

These podcast have been a fucking joke. It's 15 - 20 minutes of banter and shitty facebook level memes. We have learned nothing about the new planes, nothing about new about existing world, and hell nothing about some of the commanders themselves. Not surprising the lore girl doesn't even know most the lore. What a joke Wizards. That said what lore did Veeky Forums wanted info on but never got.

Didn't this lore cunt go on some twitter thing about Lili's menstrual cycle? Or is that some other wotc writer.
Either way, I wouldn't expect much from these people.

It was either podcast or nothing so why complain about the podcast? I just don't even listen to them. Seems like a dumb thing to get worked up about.

Jesus Fucking Christ
>MFW I read that tweet

wtf is up with your filenames?

I have a windows phone, and Veeky Forums capthas won't work unless I use Explorer and my phone does not let me rename images.

I AM STILL ANGRY
ANGRY ABOUT AMONKHET
HOW IT WAS ALL ONE CITY IN A SHITTY REKT DESERT
I WANTED AN ACTUAL EGYPTIAN PLANE WITH COOL SHIT
I KNOW IT WAS BOLAS AND SHIT BUT STILL
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aside from my distaste in WotC pandering, I too wish that Amonkept was a larger world, I would rather see the time travel element used her to save the plane compared to how it just fucked over Tarkir.

Watch as the next set is 90% in the city of gold, then we will have 3 sets in a row of amazing worlds but the story will be stuck in one small location.

It's not even the pandering, it's just that Amonkhet fell flat on so many levels for me. I found the mechanics dull, the art still suffers from modern Wizards streamlining and the whole plane was just an excuse for the story to happen in some vaguely Egyptian atmosphere. The only good part was getting to see Bolas wreck shit.
God I miss the days when every plane had its own independent story and we got to see more of it. Even OG Innistrad, while being really cool, was limited to just the few geographical locations that were basically 'HERE BE VAMPYRS AND HERE BE WEREVULFS'. Like what, is the entire plane the size of Germany?

>God I miss the days when every plane had its own independent story and we got to see more of it

This this this this this this this this this

While I do very much agree with you, Inndistrad is only the size of Europe only smaller.

Tiny plane is lame plane.

Well, she DID say she started with Innistrad.
I'm honestly surprised she knows as much as she does.
Like about Wasitora.

Fun fact, there are other places on the plane than what we see.

>is the entire plane the size of Germany?
No, but the story told to us in Innistrad focused on a small part of the entire plane, much like how old blocks would usually focus on only a few locations on Dominaria. It was implied that other, more exotic, constinents existed elsewhere. It was also always clear, however, that WotC had no intention of ever exploring them because these days they want to emulate the worst and laziest parts of sci fi.

Does it really fucking matter that Amonkhet took place in a single city?

You people got two sets of your ripped-off Egyptian symbolism. You wouldn't even know it was a single city if Wizards didn't tell you, which says a lot about how shitty the whole story telling experience is on cards.

For the most part you're right, the set was fucking disappointing with vanilla cycling creatures all over the fucking place and a forgettable return of Unearth. But the fact it took place in a single megacity had little impact on what we got. We're still exploring the plane through the eyes of the Gatewatch so even if it was a massive global city like Ravnica they're only going to bother exploring a small portion of the place.

This.

Cycling was lame and the masterpieces were a giant blunder.

Personally, I want to know what's going on with other planeswalkers but it takes years for them to go anywhere with the story - this should hopefully be helped by killing the block system in favor of just plain sets with the occasional block when they can be bothered putting real effort in.

Post it!

Adventures and stories need not be confined to cities and a Not!Egypt fantasy setting has the potential for much more than 'visiting a single city'. Deserts, desert caves, oases, tombs, anything has the potential for a fun story. Sure, we got SOME of that, but it could've been so much more. I'll avoid harping on the Gatewatch here because this is a whole different can of worms and it'd be beating a dead horse anyway.
And the ripped-off Egyptian symbolism would be so much better if it hadn't been afflicted by the curse of modern Magic art.

She didn't, according to a podcast.
She asked Wizard's residential lorefag if a Cat Dragon would be possible, only to find out that they already existed.
She don't know shit

I thought that was someone else asking her.
Maybe I'm mixing people up.

I enjoyed Amonkhet's worldbuilding and more of the stories than I have in all the recent blocks sans Innistrad and Tarkir; SoI had a strong story finish on the already good Innistrad and Tarkir pre-retcon was a delicious setting.

>That said what lore did Veeky Forums wanted info on but never got.

Otaria. It's the setting that got me into MtG. I know it was fleshed out fine in the Odyssey and Onslaught cycles, but I want more :(

I'll partially agree with you here because Amonkhet would probably be MORE interesting if we visited it pre-Bolas. As for SoI, I like some cosmic horror mixing with gothic horror, but it was timed poorly because we just got the other two Eldrazi fried on Zendikar and it also came at the price of fucking Innistrad over like a few other planes in the past.

Fair criticisms.

I'm worried Ixalan's story quality will nosedive, they've had a lot of great concepts and floundered with them, and a high seas adventure is easy to fuck up.

>Expecting something of quality from a corporation trying to catch the tail end of that latest social media trend: let's make everything a podcast
What did he mean by this?