How do you like your Goblins, Veeky Forums?

How do you like your Goblins, Veeky Forums?

Do you like noseless, cartoonish pathfinder mooks? Do you like long-nosed, muzzled hunchbacks?

Do you prefer them to be comedic bumbling incompetents, or sinister, cunning tricksters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lHsPQMHkI7o
theveryworstthing.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like them cute.

If you like them so much then why don't you just fucking post them?

Goblins should be uglycute at best.

I kind of feel sad that Goblins these days have been turned into cannon fodder minions by D&D and the like.

The only time you hear about goblins being half-competent are copypasta screencaps about madman DMs and shitty Isekai anime/manga. It's a very versatile race that can fill any number of narrative roles in a campaign or story, so why does it always seems to come down to "shambling green retards with shitty knives and spears?"

Dumb, vicious, cowardly, and tricky.

Medium-rare

>"shambling green retards with shitty knives and spears?"

Because they are hilarious.

Shadow of the Demon Lord does them well. So many fucking mutation/deformity roll charts.

I like my goblins mignola-esque: weird, semi-bumbling minor fae, varied in appearance, often comedic but dangerous and dinister in numbers or under competent direction, with an absurd outlook and a lot of low cunning.

The real question is how do you like your Kobolds?

D&D has the only goblins I've ever seen and disliked. They're ugly, but not in an interesting way. It just hurts to look at them.

Fuck off. Kobolds get enough of their own threads. This is a goblin thread and goblin only.

Big (for a goblin) and scary.

oh ok
kobl sad

I like all flavors of them, honestly. I like Pathfinder's bumbling comedic pyromaniacs, FF14's clever, wordmashing tinkerers, Corruption of Champion's pregnancy obsessed alchemists, they're all good in my book.

I like mine as batnosed, greenskinned short people living in warrens that try to adapt their way of life to the increasing industrialization of their neighbors with varying degrees of success.

I like the Dresden Files' "faerie SAS on crack" version.

I like booty gobbos

I tend to base them off of grots/goblins from 40k andand fantasy, though not a total lift. They've shown themselves to be capable of primitive society and religion, and are inherently cruel and cowardly. This cowardice and a somewhat low intelligence, combined with the misfortune of being located near orcs, ends up with them often enslaved, used as servants and occasionally fodder soldiers, the goblins being too afraid to rebel.

My players had a good time convincing some goblins to betray their masters on one of their first quests, having them go up to patrolling orcs with information only to surround one and shank him to death.

How do I like my goblins? Well done with fries and a coke.

I tend to think of them as some kind of chaotic hivemind. A single goblin is useless, but they have an extreme ability to work together in teams. Get a handful together, and they become a beautifully executed swarm.

Put 100 or 1,000 of them together, and you suddenly have a force of nature, scattering through enemy forces in such a way that they're basically impossible to fight. Raise your sword to the goblin in front of you and get a knife to the back from the one behind. Try to run? There's already three goblins blocking every route you could have escaped through. They're not exactly efficient, but god damn are they effective.

About as smart as a small child or a
particularly keen dog with a size to match. They are treated more like a frontier menace than an actual enemy and breed incredibly fast. They eat everything and travel in huge packs. They can eat your livestock, crops, and even people (most commonly children) if they are feeling daring or especially stupid.

Basically land piranhas that farmers treat as "those goshdarn wolves killing me sheep!!"

I like mtg goblins, you Know viscious, cowardly and very very stupid, that with a bit of the warhammer ingenuity, they are green got long thin noses and ears, are dimunitive and have, if any, very few very thin hair.

They tend to be subservient to biggger nastier creatures like hobgoblins.

Now goblin speak consists only of Two things: the Word "goblin" and a particulary dirty laugh. So usually it goes "hehrhehehe-he GO-blin!!"

Ive left it ambiguous if this is their actual language or just a representation, i tend to do my NPCs in an exagrated fashion.

Now hobgoblins are different, their schtick is that they are soldiers, specifically i based them on my home countrys military, they speak entierly in stilted parade drill and acronyms interspaced with "goblin!!", they also Use bolt Action long rifles and granades aswell as Phalanx Formation, they tend to fuck up my Players something fierce

Normal goblins? Secretive, cowardly, and stupid- but cunning. Just north of a chimp in terms of brain function: perhaps even a reflection of Man's early tool-using ancestors.
Hobs? Uruk. Strong and tough like Orcs, but unlike orcs, they're capable of strategizing, forming long-term alliances not based on sheer force, and have imperialistic ambition in their bones. Ideal servants of an evil overlord.

Batpeople, or at least bat influenced.

>That
>Uglycute
>Not full on cute

user your taste is shit.

What a surprise.

I really fucking hate the Pathfinder goblins. Even World of Warcraft goblins are preferable in style if not in tone.

I prefer something more along the lines of Warhammer Fantasy, Tolkien, or classic Forgotten Realms, or a mix between them all.

My personal preferred style of goblin is the fat, greyish creatures from Fable (the Hobbes), which were bumbling and incompetent individually but in groups, under the leadership of one of the smarter ones, could be surprisingly deadly to groups of unsuspecting travellers, even armed and trained ones.

But there's nothing hilarious about it. It's just shitty slapstick pants-on-head retardation and cheap laughs.

I'm all for goblins being dumb as shit, but these days it's all LOL HE HAS A COOKING POT FOR A HELMET AND JUST FELL INTO MANURE SO FUNNY.

>Dumb, vicious, cowardly, and tricky.
This, fucking this. They should be the communists of fantasy.

Why not like Gremlins but not as random and idiotic but still pretty pathetic (in general)?

Any of you read the manga Goblin Slayer?

Seems pretty classic goblin but less dumb and more rapey

>I kind of feel sad that Goblins these days have been turned into cannon fodder minions by D&D and the like.

Goblins were not much a thing at all before DnD. Pre-DnD fantasy goblins were either sword fodder, albeit more competent than is the norm today (Tolkien), or low-tier fey either subjugated by their betters or coasting on the strenght of magic they borrowed from their betters (Poul Anderson).

>Do you like noseless, cartoonish pathfinder mooks? Do you like long-nosed, muzzled hunchbacks?

Noseless, hairless, with orb-of-color eyes and shark teeth, like your pic or
>Do you prefer them to be comedic bumbling incompetents, or sinister, cunning tricksters?

Physically weak but prolific, cunning, and vicious. Competence varies depending on their degree of organization and civilization. Individually cowardly and favoring stealth and ambush, but capable of whipping themselves into frenzy when gathered in numbers.

all the golbins exist in my setting

dumb, weak goblins MTG style
cunning, cowardly goblins with guns, 40k style
smart-ish goblins, harry potter style
cute, lawful goblins, adventure time style
brown, ambush goblins, DnD style
mad science goblins, warcraft style
evil, swarming, slaving goblins, DF style
stupid yet aggressive goblins, also MTG style

i will not rest until all goblins are represented in my setting

I like them as minions to the core.

With a little Edge.

We have this thread every fucking day, and every fucking day the best answer is these guys.

Iron Kingdoms

Adorable little tribal shortstacks.

This was a epic manga

Goblin Slayer is Edgy, Power fantasy, Schlock and I'm tired of it getting mentioned all the time. It's not even Good, it's just known because of it's shock value.

Trained and bred to fulfill the proper capacities.

As kings

Good taste

WoW has really competent goblins. They're still lolsorandumb though.

I depends, high or low fantasy?
High fantasy goblins should be another race to join the list of things that you shouldn't murder on sight because they are just as varied as people.
Low fantasy breed like spores and should b put to the fire, those that live at least thirty years become either a low-class ghoul or gain some small level of awareness.

>Short
>Green
>THICC
>Mischievous
>Fond of machinery & new contraptions
>Somewhat nasally voices but in a comedic way
>Breed like roman catholic mexican bunnies

Like Tolkenian orcs except better

>As moonshine drinking, gun toting, hat loving, rednecks that live out in the bayou
Pic related

The Rusilo AKA The Goblins
In my current campaign, they have their own civilization. It's an imitation of the neighboring human civilization with its own cultural spin but it's better than living in caves. The were originally a slave species to dwarves who eradicated themselves in a terrible war with the deep. Finding themselves free, they escaped to the surface and used their looted monies to build their own cities.
They come in multiple bright colors, not just green, a handful are born with leathery bat like wings and tails for unknown reasons. They breed in litters up to 8, with half of them dying from horrible birth defects. Average lifespan of 40 years.
They are capable of duplicating any spell or enchantment they observe, even if they aren't of the right level to actually cast it. Attempting to cast a spell beyond their ability results in a massive magic-antimagic emission resulting in an explosion. They are smart enough to not do this on purpose unless in a life or death situation or under extreme pressure.

Special Note: They fucking love Soccer and have been trying to get the neighboring human and elf kingdoms to adopt Soccer as their national sport so their pro teams have someone new to play against.

Twisted, numerous, vicious, decidedly strange, and very prone to mutation.

Same

Except nothing but the last point is anything like Tolkien's orcs.

>tfw you'll never have a pudgy, slightly overfed domestic goblin.

>Cute goblins
>Sex goblins
>Comedic relief
>Opposite of what they should be

You sicken me, all of you

oldschool fairytale goblins or nothing

creepy lookin'

Really wish they'd gone for this style with 5e

Vicious little buggers

Don't bump a drunk goblin

Mine act like the movie Gremlins . Gremlins 2 gremlins in fact. Shoot even when I think about goblins I picture the gremlins from gremlins 2. Even though gremlins and goblins are two different things .
>gremlins

When I run them they are swarms fucking shit up. In-fighting. Laughing at each other when one gets wamped with a mace.
[Ture story]
>Goblins invade town while PCs where planning out their next mission in a pub.
>Goblin riding a dog comes in
>Goblin gets killed with chair right away
>Dog rolling dodge checks like a monster. Like man I never rolled so well in my life
>ranger tries to stop dog from killing while the barman while rest of the party save everyone else.
>Goblins EVERYWHERE.
>Try to steal barbarians sword. Can't even lift it
>"Itss'a too big"
>Barbarian swings sword and send three goblins flying in the air like one of those dogball launcher things
>Barker and Bakery on fire
>Pal'din lifts up horse trough to put out fire.
>Goblin pops out of water tank
>Gos to stab pal'din. Can't dodge, Can't defend, no helmet
>Ranger, cut and bleeding lets loose an arrow through the pub window.
>shish keboblin
>Pins to the side of house
>Another goblin comes round comer as his happens
>is shocked at this. Puts hands to face in a mockying manner
>is holding a burning touch
>Greasy little fucker set a light like a candle
>Running around battle field with head burning
>Pal'din saves baker
>Barbarian frees Thunder Bear that goblins using as a battle mount
>Last Thunder Bear in area
>Thunder bear gos mental
>Barbarian, Thunder Bro and Pal'din sorts out a spear goblin tritro (3*3 goblins)
>Thunder bro falls
>Pal'din wearing too much metal can't help Thunder bro
> Barbarian can't stop the bleeding .
> Heal check
> 4
>Heal check
>3
>Heal check
>5
>Heal check
>its too late, thunder bro has closed his eyes for last time
>Heal check
>Thunder Bro was Thunder sis, Thunder sis was expecting
> electric stops Pal'din Heal check
> its too late
....More?

Goblins don't exist. You either want dark elves, or dwarves. The conflation of race and morality is stupid. There is no reason that svartalfar or greedy conniving dwarves cannot completely fulfil the role that goblins inhabit in modern fantasy.

I've always imagined goblins as something like Dwarves but with green skin, longer ears and maybe less wide-shouldered.

Whenever I see the usual depiction of goblins they just weird me out. I guess kinda like warcraft's gnomes but green.

Non-existent. I usually preffer human only campaigns.

Fav goblin I ever done was wearing a very obvious kolbold costume in a Kolbold lair with a bunch of other kolbold. Joined in on Kolbold side during combat with PC's and died with them.
They never found out why he was there
>Come on GM just tell me
No, you are have to wait and see.

Pathfinder told me that goblins hate written words. I kept this fact too. Is it a pathfinder only thing?

Never had a reason

MTG Goblins are often my preferred type, especially Ravnican and Zendikari Goblins.

Bat-like

Little Geckos

Good taste

Really I just like little people in general.

I should make a little setting.

I refer to the interest in building things

I like them noseless, fan-eared, scaly and green.

Tendencies towards thieving, banditry, and underhanded sinister shit. But, because of the way their brains are hardwired as small'ns, they're a little easy to temporarily distract as most auditory and visual sensory input requires attention. One goblin alone is cool, but five and you've a bunch of teenagers on your hands

I like my goblins nigh indistinguishable from dwarves and equally dispised.

I like my goblins like my elves, with giant cow tits.

I like the WoW interpretation of them being eccentric capitalists best, actually. A race that has translated its underdog syndrome into an acute proficiency at climbing the socioeconomic ladder no matter how many skuls they have to dug. The red light district should always be the goblin part of town.

They're opposites to halflings thematically and personality wise. Halflings thrive in the country, Goblins thrive in the underbelly of a large city.

I envision gremlins as looking like slightly furred Pathfinder Goblins.

youtube.com/watch?v=lHsPQMHkI7o

I do like FFXIV's depictions of goblins.

Elves and Dwarves don't exist. You want a suitable flavour of human.

>stupid

I like it when goblins are all the petty facets of humanity. like how elves symbolise pride or orks rage. goblins should be greedy, thieving, lying, brown nosing, back stabbers and their physical appearance should reflect this inner nature.

i dont have any gobblin pictures on my computer that illustrates this but here's a something

2/3

Monstrous, vicious, ugly and beastially cunning

Everyone is wrong...

except these two.

... So as Shortstacks?

sauce?

Alright boys, lemme redpill you on why the night goblins from WFB are AWESOME.
>batshit insane, even by goblin standards
>get hopped up on magic mushrooms ALL DAYUM DAY
>even put shrooms in their fucking beer
>eating poisonous mushrooms is so embedded in their culture, they're actually immune to all forms of poison. it just gets them high
>they're basically all moon cultists, but they don't worship the one in the sky
>they worship "Da Bad Moon"
>basically a moon with a goblin face that puts curses on people
>they've also "tamed" a species of underground mushroom creatures called "squigs"
>squigs are hyperactive mouths full of razor teeth with legs, you can't really tame them so much as aim a herd of them at something you don't like and hope that they don't eat too many of your own guys
>some of these guys are crazy enough to ride the fucking things
>when they go into battle, they get the craziest of their guys hopped up on shrooms, and give him a big metal ball on a chain to spin around in the enemy's formation and kill as many of them as he can

tldr; Night goblins are the shit

>like how elves symbolise pride or orks rage
But neither of those do that.

not that person, but I'm 100% sure they were drawn by theveryworstthing.tumblr.com/

>WoW has really competent goblins
No it doesn't. The only reason a very slim amount of WoW goblins are "smart" is because they huff enough of a certain kind of mineral. Without it they go straight back to being completely retarded, and in the setting the mineral is rare and already becoming scarce. Which is why in WoW goblins are just gnomes whose tech has a habit of exploding.

looks like Morbi to me

If I recall, the original idea between the gnome/goblin divide was the gnomes focused on reliability and craft, whereas goblins were just interested in marketability and reproducability, which essentially put them on even footing. Then Cataclysm dropped and goblins became a meme race that was just objectively worse than their competitors.

Exaggerated features like nose, chins and ears, ala Warhammer and Warcraft while being no taller than 4'5. Green is best.

Everything else feels wrong to me.
I dont much mind the Tolkienverse/Falmer goblins though pale and skittering.

Last time I ran Goblins, they were a musically-inclined industrial race that lived in a deep crevasse, lined with scaffolding and ladders. The whole goblin "city" was alight with sparks from mining and smithing.

The party accidentally took the blame for killing a Goblin settlement that sprung up in the far north from the expansive cave systems that run the length of the north-eastern continent in the setting.

Assassin Goblins came after the party, employing purposely rusted hand sickles, daggers, caltrops and poison for lacing these with for telling everyone to fuck off a little harder. Not a fun experience.

During simple logging operations, which of course are very invasive, they employ (see: whip the shit out of) Hill Giants and Hobgoblins, and the lot of the small logging encampments scattered here and there are loaded with arm-mounted mechanisms to spray oil across an area and then torch the place.

They may also, when pressured, sacrifice themselves to their evil god through the use of forged, spiked icons. In doing so, they explode in to 1d4 Magmins. Magmins also explode upon death.

Fuck the dumb fodder stereotype, my Goblins are masters of the underground and were partly responsible for driving ALL OF DWARVENKIND out of their ancestral mountains and caves.

Said dwarves make great falconers though, now that they've had to adapt to the surface. You should see the shit they smith for their falcons and other tamed flying creatures.

Except Gnomish tech struggles on being applicable beyond a dozen toys and two mounts, and most Goblin tech can be reused as weapons, and even made a cultural shift on the three or four incarnations of the Horde they touched, see how they made flight possible, and brought iron age to Thrall's Horde, and made the Iron Horde into craftsman on a world scale. If we go by pure application Goblin tech is far superior to the "lerandumb toy xD" Gnomish shittery.
t. Blackfuse.

that's just renamed orcs

non-existent

Little green thots

Eyyyyy.

Gnomes invented stable flying machines well before gobbos in WoW though. The thing is that gnomes don't have tonnes of stuff to share with other races because gnomes don't mass produce stuff like Goblins. Pretty much everything is a masterwork that an individual gnome has been tinkering with their entire life, resulting in a very efficient end product, meanwhile goblins cut corners and sabotage their own stuff so that the Horde has to buy replacements. Goblins only care about profit.