Variant human has most optimal build

>variant human has most optimal build
>don't want to play as a boring human

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JHVqxD8PNq8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Give players the option to drop their race's +2 for a feat.

No lvl 1 Feat is worth +2 in your primary stat.

Then play as an interesting human.

Demihuman level limits.

inb4 butthurt hfy

Not even for polearm master?

Give all players a feat for free at character creation, regardless of race
Make a new variant human that doesn't give a free feat, but has something else more interesting than regular human.

>humans
>boring
Anyone who thinks humans are "boring" are, in fact, boring, uncreative people.

I solve this for my players by not allowing variant human.

>you mean I'll actually have to create a personality for my character beyond "he's a lizardman lmao" that's too hard!

This.
Every real person you've ever heard of is a human, and probably most fictional characters.

There was a movie starring Nicolas Cage about a writer, that had an epic rant about how interesting real life is, but I don't remember the title, so please help me out here.

>Make a new variant human
Saw someone post this one a while ago. I kind of like it.

>can't be both a special snowflake furfag race and also better than every other PC mechanically
Woe is you

Every real person you've ever heard of was also incapable of wielding magic.

Playing wizards is for boring, uncreative people.

Not the angle I would go for personally (I kinda like seeing Humans as the 'well-rounded jack-of-all-trades species), but that's definitely a nice take on the question. I'd play with it.

You would rather have a 5% chance to hit over a weapon feat at low level?

If you're using an exotic feature as a crutch for being unable to make an interesting character regardless of their race or class then yes, you are boring and uncreative.

By the same token, however, nothing about having an exotic feature makes a character uncreative, so long as that feature isn't being used as a crutch.

A player who's really willing to commit to the inhuman aspects of a nonhuman character, in addition to having a fully fleshed-out personality that isn't just "muh horns" or something like that, is a wonderful thing to have at the table.

Yes, this is true, but players who call humans "boring" are never those types of players.

And?
That doesn't make OP less of the faggot since entire point of his human-hate is using "special" races as a crutch.
I mostly play humans since in 90% of the time they allow most freedom in creating a cool and relatable character but I did also play elves, drow, tieflings, and alchemically mutated freaks, but because I felt like it, because I learned about the lore and feel of particular race and felt captivated by it, or because it did just fit a particular concept, or i did spontaneously think that it would be a cool character idea... but to make them "spacial" for the sake of it?

People who are playing non-humans mainly for reasons of humans being "boring" are scum and universally bad roleplayers.

Honestly, yeah, it is. Caster players are probably some of the most reprehensible, semi-robotic people around.

I feel like humans are boring mostly because I hate the 'jack of all trades' thing, and they just feel...

Hrm.

They feel bland, I guess. Like they don't have a flavor I can lean into or play against. They generally also have a monoculture that is 'lol generic yurop'. If I ask the DM 'what are your dark elves like' I'm generally garenteed some sort of interesting shit to play off of, whereas with humans you usually don't get that.

Also humans feel like the default, and I am inherently biased against the default anything.

That said humans sorcerers with nonhuman ancestry are fun.

I dunno, maybe this is just a subjective experience thing, but I've been in a lot of games where the DM kind of just shoehorned humans into the setting as generic and put in a lot more flavor and character hooks in the other species.

Caster players are more creative because they always try to find loopholes within the rules for their spells to achieve a desired effect at relatively low cost.

(Human) Martials on the other hand tend to only focus on stacking bonuses as they go full aggro on everything they fight, while ignoring any other means of attacking since they're taught that direct damage is the only thing a martial can do reliably.

Just let them play what ever. Eventually the novelty of other races will wear off and they will be just as jaded as you. As for the power gamers don't try to push them into being role players, bait them into it.

>(Human) Martials on the other hand tend to only focus on stacking bonuses as they go full aggro on everything they fight, while ignoring any other means of attacking since they're taught that direct damage is the only thing a martial can do reliably.
That was my baby's first character. And to be fair, with a lot of GMs that is the only thing they are allowed to do. Trying to be creative with an uncreative GM will be met with resistance or out right denial.

Your whole post is just an admission of being uncreative.

>I had shitty DMs, therefore this race is the problem

>don't allow variant human in game
>this "build" bullshit is what makes the game terrible.

>you're boring, OP!

Well, duh. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be here. None of us would be. If we weren't boring, we'd be in the history books right now, but neither you nor I am ever going there, and neither is OP.

We're all boring here.

Let's break your post down.

>I feel like humans are boring mostly because I hate the 'jack of all trades' thing
Bullshit premise. Humans are variable, not jack-of-all-trades.

>Like they don't have a flavor I can lean into or play against. They generally also have a monoculture that is 'lol generic yurop'.

How about making interesting characters in and of themselves? Also shit DM if he can't create/uphold a fucking sense of culture. These are fixed by not being literally shit.

>Also humans feel like the default, and I am inherently biased against the default anything.

"not special enough" FTFY

>That said humans sorcerers with nonhuman ancestry are fun.

AKA you just want "muh speshuls".

The best weapon feats don't get good until higher levels.

>Humans are variable, not jack-of-all-trades.
Humans are only variable because they are the jack-of-all-trades. They don't commit to any one archtype like Half-Orc Barbarians or Elven Wizards do.
>How about making interesting characters in and of themselves?
Honestly, setting out to make an "interesting" character is an exercise in futility because the most interesting aspects about that character is going to be presented through play, not during character creation.
>"not special enough" FTFY
>AKA you just want "muh speshuls".
Oh yes, heaven forbid someone goes to an ice-cream shop and doesn't feel like eating Vanilla for the thousandth time in a row. It's Fantasy man, if you have access to a plethora of unique races, why would you choose the most boring shit in existence to play?

Great job at reading but not understanding full sentences.

>2000 + 17
>Being this illiterate
>mfw

Nice argument.

I'm not going to waste time on debating arguments built on purposefully misunderstanding the other part in order to create what are essentially, by now, strawmen.

I often play nonhuman characters for the sake of more easily playing something that isn't me.

Is it often cringy? Sure. Is it bland and uncreative? Probably.

But it's that or WikiHowing a homemade cyanide pill, and that's even less original.

tl;dr, arguing about escapism is pointless.

I like 4e's Humans, who had all the feats and support for pulling out the stops (extra action points, bonuses using APs, rerolls when the chips were down), and the versatility of an extra at-will (or another 'pull out the stops' racial).

When all the elves and dwarves are planning you could always count on the human do do something dumb and heroic, and probably live to talk about it.

What is a human? There isn't really any cultural relevance to the term and doesn't immediately allow you to build then remix the cliches of fantasy.

If I drop the words "dwarf fighter" or "elf druid" you've played/read about enough stuff that you already have a decent vision of what it is. Choosing off-type (dwarf monk) or amending it "he's a dwarven fighter who used to be a pirate" you have all those cliches competing with the other cliches and it's easier to imagine how the character is complex. You have two or three narrative strings to pull in creating a back story, you have two or three immediate inspirations for directions to craft your pile of mechanics.

Humans don't have the cultural shorthand unless you actively include a nationality. Instead of choosing a race, choose something else (e.g. viking, bedouin, noble, hippy, ex-cop) and suddenly your character sheet feels more like a character even though you've put the same level of thought as the guy who wrote just "half-orc wizard".

If your human characters are going to be boring chances are your other race characters are also going to be boring.

I believe you're thinking of the film "Adaptation".

>I'm not going to argue to defend my points, it's much easier just to say "strawman" and slink away with my superiority intact.
FTFY

>He didn't fall for my strawman
FTFY

>I'm not going to wate time debating arguments
>I will, however, waste my time on low effort bait

Hey, at least the bait is honest

Problem is a lizard ex-cop is more interesting than a human excop

Yeah but that's because lizardfolk are inherently interesting.

>Humans are for dullards and feat whore power gamers
>Elves are for pretentious pansies
>Halfling are for that guy thieves and prevents
>dwarfs are okay
>any and other races races are for snowflakes

No it's not. The lizard probably has human mannerisms and comes from a culture that apes off of a real human one.

Maybe if you're a child, or have the intellect of one.

This. Also people always playing non-human races tend to crutch on said race. "He's a drow so he's evil!" "He's an orc so he's stronk!" While people who always play humans actually develop a personality for their character other than "hurr durr halfling sneak".

If the lizard shows reaits of a specific culture, those cultures likely don't exist in the universes humans

>tfw to entelgent too play humans

>fantasy races likely don't show traits found in human cultures
>literally all of them do, though

No you illiterate fuck, if the lizards act like aztecs, the in-world humans wont have the aztecs

>warlock has least optimal build
>don't want to play as a uninteresting non-warlock

Yeah, I more or less do this. I still allow Variant Human, but only with "background feats" The guy who took it did so because he wanted a combat feat to start as well as "Gourmand".

>Playing anything other than a human imeans all you can do is copy a racial stereotype and not add anything to it to make it interesting.
This meme is stupid and needs to die. Just because some people can't play an interesting (whatever) doesn't mean nobody can.

Fuck, I fucked up. Feel free to ridicule me.

>People who are playing non-humans mainly for reasons of humans being "boring" are scum and universally bad roleplayers.
Depends on the setting. If your setting lacks any detailed human cultures, and it's just a generic modern day american cultural human insert, they ARE boring.

Likewise, if the game *has* interesting human cultures and you don't bother to incorporate them into your character's personality in any way, you are scum and a universally bad roleplayer.

Real life humans are interesting because they are a bunch of retarded monkeys that managed to hatefuck their way to the top of the foodchain.

Fantasy humans though? Nah. They ARE boring as hell, and that is completely undeniable. Just ctrl+f any pdf with them as a race, and count how many times you can count "versatile" or "adaptable". There is nothing defining or redeeming about them, despite being a bunch of +2 con -4 wisdom , constantly horny, borderline delirious bundles of joy irl.

Basically, they are meant to be babby's first PC for lite roleplayers that will make a beeline for a human fighter/rogue as soon as they can. It's just that tg is full of HFY memers that get butthurt as soon as somebody shits on the white bread of races, because they are legitimately terrified to appear even a little bit furry if they play with someone that picks a tiefling or a dragonborn.

Make a character based on a history, personality, and goals. Not on their race. Or do you just like to play a character where they are a caricature of their race?

And here we have a perfect example of how people who think humans are "boring" have the intellect of a child with none of the creativity.

Humans are a generic blob of a bunch of cultures while other races will usually represent a single culture. Due to this, it is easier to develop them.

Like Germans don't exist, just "humans"

>55034044
Low quality bait

And you are the perfect example of the overly defensive human player. I spent half of my post talking about how great humans are, and how fantasy humans dont do them justice because they are forced to be the general appeal, generic guys.

That's not how it works. First you have to prove that you're capable of making a baseline human an interesting character, before being allowed to play an exotic race. Access to interesting race choices is a privilege that has to be earned.

You say this, but every "human-only" campaign I've been in is just a ripoff of Game of Thrones.

Funny you mention that, because both of the "human only" guys that I've played with inevitably always ended up playing as a half assed version of Stannis or the Hound.

Usually a martial too, sometimes a "deus vult" shouting paladin.

Shit DM and shit player detected.

5e feats are shit

This thread is so goddamn telling.
Follow me here:

The OP post says two things:
>variant human has most optimal build
>don't want to play as a boring human

Now many of the replies have pointed out the simple solution to OP's faggot dilemma:
Play a human that is not boring.
It's been argued that the assumption that all human characters are necessarily boring is stupid, or whatever.
Discussion has occurred.
This is fine.

But what about the other solution?
What about the solution that, unless I missed a post, has yet to even occur to any of you?
What about the solution that is so utterly unthinkable to your myopic brains that it was never entertained as a possibility?

What about playing a character that is not the most optimal build?

Go ahead.
Clutch your damn pearls if you must, but I said it.
It's a perfectly valid option and the fact that none of you pointed it out speaks volumes.

But user, literally pointed out both

Ah, I was aware there was a chance I had overlooked a post.

Good on you user.

Actually, humans are cool (in most settings) because they usually belong to a well established faction above ground, whereas the elves hide in the forests, the dwarves live underground (which is usually only a place the players will visit for one adventure before going back upstairs), or the minor races who live on the humans behalf.

Humans usually have kingdoms, strong guilds, cults, families and so on that have a real impact on the game. This makes your roleplaying experience that much richer; completing this task will help out this guild. Your family has always been carpenters, so the well being of the carpenters guild will be something your character has a natural reason to care about.

Go regular human and use point buy to have 13 in every stat and just be some disgusting multiclass abomination of every class

That's gonna give you a lot of skills, at least.

You don't actually get any extra skills (or any other proficiencies) from muticlassing. You're stuck to what you had an lvl1.

Seriously.

Oh, I've only multiclassed rogue and ranger, and you get a skill for multiclassing into them..

Just play half elves. They are better than humans get the all powerful charisma bonus and get everything an elf does. You can make what ever you fucking want. Stop making cookie cutter power leveling meta game characters an realize you dont need to do anything but show up. You could have a party of halfling wizards and if your DM isnt shit he can work around that

You must not play jigalo sorcerors with daddy issues or snarky psycho druids.

Xbow xpert

Why not play a bugbear (Volo's) fighter (Battlemaster) polearm user?
15 foot range ftw man

Humans are the best. For whatever reason, players make better human characters. Whenever they choose elf, they always make a haunty tree huger, whenever they choose dwarf, they play a drunken warrior. At most, they add one "twist" to the dwarf or elf. And god save you if they play anything more exotic than that.

Human characters result in great characterization because they players are forced to stand out on ways beyond muh race.

>It is a HFYers beat the same old drum about people who can't play humans being the boring creative ones while there is little culture to build or base your character off

This, so much this. Every dwarf I've seen so far has been a warrior/battlecleric/paladin, always drunken and have had like one more characteristic besides those. Every elf or half-elf has been a ranger or rogue, with maybe one more characteristic. Every human on the other hand have been personalities, class or role aside, with actual characteristics, ambitions, fears and hopes.

>HFYers thinking confirmation bias is proof

I have seen dragonborns in every class but rogue yet you thin skinned cunts would be the first to rag on saying they are a "snowflake race".

>being this fond of strawmen

Wow those characters sound like "lol funnay" pieces of trash.

My issue with dragonborn, is that I prefer dragonkin and half dragons and lizard folk , and I'm not a big fan of the lizard tits.

I thought Lizardfolk didn't have tits but half-dragons and dragonborn due to the "best features of humanity :^)" meme

I still prefer half dragon template + lizard folk + dragonkin

Hey, is talking about you.

Variant Human Polearm Expert Great Weapon Master Battlemaster

Every. Fucking. Campaign.

Yeah, that's what I thought. No wonder it was a bitch to search for.

I thought variant was a class feature, not race, am I missing something?

This. Your character is interesteing for WHO they are, not WHAT.

Human supremacist here, still pissed the mudbloods get paladins now.

>Humanity's power is Civilization and Imperialism
Yep, sounds about right. You don't need to have "racial" superiority if you've got the powerhouse of entire nations supporting your every strike, also matches why Pelor is a human-centric deity.

Then don't? 5e isn't the hardest shit on the planet and doesn't absolutely require the most optimal builds at all times.
I'm not telling you to build your character terribly but just fucking make a character and then build it strongly from there.

It's not fucking hard, but then again most of you faggots complaining about how much more optimal it is actually play in a game.

found it
youtu.be/JHVqxD8PNq8

>stop bashin' muh furry PC

>GoT
>Inspired by history
>In depth characters, world
>"So boring"

>GoT
>Inspired by history
>In depth characters, world
Pick one and only one.