Why is 2d10 secretly the best?

Why is 2d10 secretly the best?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/87340291
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Using dice
>Not using tarot cards for all random number generation

I bet your DM isn't even a priestess of Diana.

>not 5d4

Because you can add more d10's and get dicepools.

12d12 is the objectively superior

Because of how easy it is to figure out.

How could someone be that stupid?

Question for all you old farts out there that have compiled pdfs of stuff you made, or whatever.

I have a... well, an encyclopedia of sorts for my game world. Its all in 1 pdf, and its really unwieldy coming in at 250 or so pages. I have it broken down into sections, but now I feel it needs split into two books, and im not sure what to put in what book. Not counting the forward that I wrote or the introduction, the sections are:

People
>this includes major races and languages
Calendar and Major Holidays
>obvious stuff
Brief History
>brief, theres an expansion in an appendix, below
Geography
>mountains and rivers and shit!
Political Divisions
>nations and descriptions
>also includes major monastic and knightly orders, mercenary charters etc
Modern Viewpoints
>This chapter asks a list of questions that are answered by a person from a specific geographic region. Things like Who are You? I am Pavel no Mara, Khan of the Belsharev Tribe etc etc.
>Theres a ton of em. Really sets the tone of who feels what about this and that.
Religion
>split into pantheons for races and all that fun stuff
>descriptions are short, there is zero crunch
Then come the appendices. These are easier to break up as they go with chapters already presented
Listing of Dieties by Pantheon
A full history appendix
An detailed history of the world war that just finished wrecking shit

I know this probably isnt the best place to ask, but /wbg/ is dead atm....
How would you split it, or organize it?

I am a moron, disregard, wrong thread

Because together they make a d100.

2d8 is better

or a triangular distribution with 11 at 10% that decreases by 1% with each step away

Because a d100 keeps ROLLING OFF MY FUCKING TABLE, GODDAMN IT.

Post pdf

That's because you're supposed to throw them into a sand pit, not roll them on a table.

That sounds awesome

>not 10d2

In theory maybe. In practice the sand gets in all the little crevices of the minis.

Yes, this!

Simultaneous 1-100 flat % and 2-20 bell curve at the same time.

D10s are perfection, can easily scale to D100

>Calling a triangle a bell-curve

What dice should I buy? I was going to get a new set at Gencon, but I totally forgot about it.

Glow in the dark Gamescience dice are all you need

But Gamescience are expensive, aren't they?

Most people seem to say Gamescience is pretty mediocre at actually rolling.

>rolling a non-Platonic Solid

Do you want people to believe you drink in the reek of a thatched barn?

I want all the benefits of play D100 games, WHFRPG namely but I want to roll a platonic solid, what do?

Roll a d6 and a d20. If the d6 is a 6, reroll it.

Now, subtract one from the d6's result and multiply by 20, then add the result of the d20.
This gets you a linear 1-100 result with two platonic solids.

>non-euclidean shapes

get the fuck out.

Is this the retard's way of just saying "I am interested in percentile systems?"

That's not how you spell (2d8+1d6)-2

>benefits of play D100 games, WHFRPG namely
There are no such benefits.
d100 is just Lesser Unisystem/Lesser GURPS.

Still better than D&D mind you.

Fuck that's too complicated.

Roll 2d20. Treat a 20 as a 10, and anything between 11-19, ignore the 1 column.
Two Dice, Platonic Solids.

You can also purchase 20 sided d10s, that are numbered 1-10, twice.

>not 20d1

That's just the number 20, user. 5d4 at least has *some* variability

no shit

It's an edgy bell-curve.

>not 20d2

The distribution gets better when you explode upwards on a 10, and subtract on a 1 on each dice. So if you roll two 10's then a three on one dice outta 23, but roll a 1 then a 10, then a 7 itd be minus 17. And so forth.

Shit can get intense.

Because it's basically percentile.

the benefit is being able to play Warhammer fantasy rpg

almost.
1d100 is better.

that sounds awful

>euclidean
What did he mean by this?

No, d1 is binary 0-1. You can use a coin.
20d1 go from 0 to hero.

That's 20d2-20, and in practice it goes from 2 to 18 unless you're making thousands to tens of thousands of rolls in a single campaign.

A d2 is binary, it's a coin.

A d1 is always just a 1

Is this supposed to be funny? A historical figure anachronistically imitating ironic "cool"ness being unreasonably and vulgarly insulted, then responding perfectly reasonably?

Dice pools are awful, user.

look dude it was a long time ago things were more entertaining back then

>d1 has 2 possible outcomes

2x0-9Twice is best. d10 are shit non-platonic solids.

2d6 is the real Game dice roll

>d1 is binary 0-1

3d20, drop highest and lowest

Pay the GM works best, up to 20. Creates a full variance based on you gauging unknown DCs, how much you're willing to blow and how libertarian you feel

I used tarot cards last session because my character was doing some quick divination to tell the fortunes of each character in the party. In game it was 'cleromancy' which is when you throw some rocks in a bowl of water and watch it etc.

It was pretty fun, especially since they mostly felt relevant (as fortunes are designed to fit in any situation.)

>d1
>binary
Nibba what.

because you can use the forbidden style in order to net a 14% advantage on your d20 roll

Let me see if I have this straight:
1. Roll 2d10
2. For each 10, roll another single d10 and add the result
3. For each 1, roll another single for and subtract the result
4. 2 and 3 can proc themselves and each other

This seems like it could get confusing for things like rolling an 8 and 1 into another 1 into something random like a 7. 8+1-(-7)=16.

A coin is not a true D2. What if the coin lands on its side? Is it 1.5 then? That means it's a D3.

I'm making a system that uses 2d10, and I'm considering adding an "explode" mechanic of some sort to make the dice-rolling more dramatic. What's the best way to go about this?

It seems like could work, but could be a pain to keep track of, as the odds that one of your two dice is a 10 is 19% (same for 1s, if you include exploding down). Having ~1/5 of all rolls explode seems a biiiit much, as I'd like it to be a rarer (and thus more exciting occasion). Other ideas include:
1. Explode if rolled sum is X or greater (18?). Gives easy control over how common explosion is, but is kinda boring.
2. Explode on doubles. Has the weird effect that low rolls can explode as often as high ones, meaning that the explosion can also result in saving an otherwise poor roll. 1/10 chance is still fairly common, though.
3. Explode only on a nat 20. Variant of option I, just cleaner, but also a 1/100 means that this will be fairly rare and this not impact the system very much.

Thoughts?

Not him, but I think the system works like this in the example:
8+1=9, then roll 1
9-1=8, then roll 7
8-7=1
So no double negatives ever. If you roll 1 into 10, you subtract 10 and then add another d10.

> Not rolling 4-dimensional platonic solids

Cocked dice rule, obviously. By the same logic, anyone using dice with rounded edges aren't using "true" d-whatevers.

It's not cocked, though. The side of the coin is the third face.

When playing a game, the group has to agree on how things work. When most people flip a coin, there are two intended outcomes. Similarly, a d6 is rolled with 6 intended outcomes. Unless you get your group to agree the coin landing on its side is a valid outcome, it'll call for a re-flip just like a cocked die. The tiny chance of landing on the edge also would make any mechanic that involved that pretty silly.

I've done lots of testing and the chance of a coin landing on its side it equal to landing on heads or tails.
Pic related, the coin from my country.

>The tiny chance of landing on the edge also would make any mechanic that involved that pretty silly.

Yeah, and then there's the whole "hearing other people's thoughts" complication. Your table doesn't need to pile mechanics on top of that.

vimeo.com/87340291

With a "coin" like that, are the odds actually equal? It seems the side surface has a lot more surface area to be landed on. What dimensions would be necessary for even odds for a working cylindrical d3?

I'm not sure on the math of it. For my dice-rolling area though I use a box with 2" of honey.

That certainly simplifies matters, as you don't need to worry about bouncing or rolling, only weight distribution.

Yeah, the main problem is the bees.

That does complicate matters. Adds some risk/reward when using dice pools, as larger pools are more likely to anger the bees.