media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: →

What is your favorite encounter from your most recent campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jvEin4SOOgY&ab_channel=BreakofReality
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for KILL THE INFIDELS

Til could get some help? I don't have much experience in D&D. Some of my friends and I are starting a new game. We started at level 2, and right now I'm a Rogue 1/Bard 1, but I don't really know how best to find my own niche in the party. So far, besides me, there are:

Cleric 2, Trickery
Sorcerer 2, Wild Magic
Warlock 2, Fey Pact of Tome
Fighter 2, Eldritch Knight

What are my options, and what would you recommend?

>Shadow monk 6/rogue X

This is stupid. At those levels you're better off sticking as a Monk. If anything it should be Rogue 1/3/6 and the rest in Shadow Monk.

Session 0. What are some of your favorite ways to bring a party together? The "meet in a tavern" is the standard trope, but there's more engaging ways to do it.

Do you session 0? What do you like to hash out?

If you're a blind wizard casting magic missile, would this mean magic missile automatically fails?

Yes.

>SOMETHING JUST EXPLODED
but can only run that with the same group once-ish

You probably can't cast it in the first place as you have no valid targets.

Craig's List.

What's the best fantasy equipment and why is it Seven League Boots?

My party began on alters about to be sacrificed to Kyuss.

A major event in a city brings everyone together.
That way you can ask each person:
>Why are you in this city?
>How long have you been here?
>Where did you come from?
>What are you doing?
>Where exactly are you WITHIN the city

My favourite way is a raid on the city by something that the guards can't fight off by themselves. Give each player a 5 minute section of what they're doing in the city all on their own, then basically "you hear a commotion coming from the east," then cut to the next player, do the same thing, until you can cut to the area where the event is taking place and have them all arrive there. Maybe at different rounds in the combat depending on how far away they are since they're going to be spread out across town.
They fight off the raid, and basically the city is all "oh shit you guys are heroes you saved us all" and progress from there. Give a plot hook to them immediately after the raid while they're still all together so that they don't go "well nice meeting you guys guess I'll just go my own way now"

I like having everyone start off as prisoners. You can only get away with it at the beginning of a campaign anyway, so might as well go all out.

Have you played or ran Out of the Abyss?

I'm a warlock because Ive never played one and Im joining a campaign midrun. I'm going to play a green dragonborn blade pact archfey whose obsessed with crafting the ultimate poison. If I have to multiclass in order to save myself, which direction should I go?

Prisoners also gets you an easy method to ship them off somewhere, good hook. There was a thread a while back where someone was talking about shipwrecking some prison ship and then making the party conquer some tropical isle full of primitive types to build a HQ and get the fuck out/contact mainland sorta deal. Sounded like a fun campaign.

Monk 6 grabs you
- stunning strike
- magic punches
- shadow teleport
- extra attack
- a decent amount of ki per short rest

Then rogue increases your skills, damage, bonus action economy costs, and so on. Monk 6/rogue X will have more damage output than full monk.

Briefly.

R8 these magic items.
Briefplace
A brown briefcase with a combination lock. Upon entering the correct 4-digit combination, it opens up to a ladder leading into a furnished office space. A single hallway contains 5 doors with bedrooms behind them. A hidden room exists behind a bookcase in the main room.
If attuned, the item can be summoned by spending 1 hour of concentration. Attempting this while inside the space sends both the briefcase and anyone inside into a random location on the astral plane, and the lock changes combination.

The Grim Beacon (requires attunement)
Appears as an iron lantern with a grinning skull on the front.
If a creature within 30 feet of it dies, the wielder may spend their reaction attempting to trap its soul by making a charisma check competing against the target’s charisma saving throw. Upon a successful trap, the item gains 2 charges. One charge heals a target within 30 feet for 2d6 + your charisma modifier, the other deals damage to a target within 60 feet for 3d6 + your charisma modifier. The Grim Beacon may trap one soul per sunset.
Curse. This item is cursed, and upon the next time its user hits 0 hit points, they automatically fail 2 death saving throws, and immediately roll the third.

Not totally sure how important magic fists would be. It's not a finesse weapon, so you're using a weapon anyways. I guess it lets you flurry of blows magic fists, but I feel like you're likely to be using your bonus action via cunning action. I guess it gives you another tool but eh.

I'm planning on running a mind flayer campaign where the players essentially pick a character of theirs that had died in a past campaign, they are thrown into a hall way full of doors and must pick one to go through eventually working their way through all of them. They'll all be in different worlds, I've got a bunch thought up but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for a kids next door type scenario, issue being the characters most likely won't be children.
Should I supply them with a potion that turns them into kids for that campaign, or would it be more fun if I kept them as adults?

Can you flurry of blows with sneak attack?

No, but you can use a short sword with Extra Attack and achieve the same thing with another d6 + dex as a bonus action attack.

If you go swashbuckler you can then get out of dodge for free.

Nope. It's not a finesse weapon.

You can sneak attack and *then* flurry of blows, but you're not getting anything special off of it.

Diamond Soul is better than anything Rogue will give you past level 6. Damage isn't everything (which won't be that different anyway).

Hey anons, what books/supplements/UAs do you guys consider essential?

My friends and I have access to all of them and wanted to start up a game again.

What if you make it with a shortsword?

PHB/MM/VGtM
Revised Ranger

Most of the rest isn't essential, but only a few standout character options are outright bad.

You can't flurry of blows with a short sword. It specifies unarmed attacks.

Flurry of blows is not part of your attack. Also short swords are monk weapons.

Those are 2 factual, but irrelevant statements.

Yes, but flurry of blows doesn't specify monk weapons. It specifies unarmed hits.

You can make a sneak attack with a short sword, make another hit, and then flurry of blows after. Nothing is stopping you on this. But you cannot apply sneak attack to flurry of blows.

You can take Flurry of Blows after you take the attack action. You can attack with anything and still get FoB.

So short sword attack with sneak attack and then the unarmed strikes, is that doable?

Yes. Which absolutely no one is disputing. You can use sneak attack and flurry of blows on the same turn. You cannot sneak attack *with* flurry of blows.

Once again, those are true facts. Once again, they have nothing to do with sneak attacking via flurry of blows.

oh no I didn't read the previous comments right. The bonus attack granted by using flurry of blows is purely unarmed and not inherently related to what's in your hands at all. Yall are correct.

Yes. Absolutely fine, unless you're using or plan to use your bonus action elsewhere. You're best off getting mobile feat or going swashbuckler if you do that, because it frees your disengage as a bonus action to back away.

Also swashbuckler makes it much easier to sneak attack.

Just did the math. Rogue 6/Shadow Monk 14 comes out to 47 average damage, Rogue 14/Shadow Monk 6 is 51.

How being a rogue/monk works:

1) Attack: if you have advantage or are attacking someone with an ally there, you can add sneak attack.

2) Flurry of Blows. You spend a ki and do 2 unarmed strikes. If you have advantage or are attacking someone with an ally there, you can add sneak attack damage to one of them.

Either Flurry of Blows attacks or your main attack count as attacks. You can add your sneak attack damage to any ONE of those rolls.

You can't sneak attack with unarmed strikes, even as a monk. They aren't finesse weapons.

Except you can't.
>The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon

Oh right FUCK disregard. Goddammit WotC just make them count as finesse you know you want to.

I SAID DISREGARD.

Unarmed strikes aren't considered finesse weapons.

Craig does run a really good business. Lots of adventurers got their start being contracted by him.

Swashbuckler's basically auto sneak

They really really don't want to. They want to get ever so close to giving them finesse without actually reaching finesse.

Everyone has jumped on you for the finesse thing, but also pointing out you can only sneak attack once a turn. Turn being specific; if you can in some way attack when it's not your turn you can get more sneak attacks: ex: opportunity attacks, commanders strike, being hasted and using your second action to hold your action until a triggering situation occurs.

There's no need to be autistic.

New idea for an "Adventurer's Bulletin Board" kind of thing
takes 10-15% maybe mostly low level crap with the occasional higher one

You're acoustic

Stop acting like a Jew.

>acoustic
youtube.com/watch?v=jvEin4SOOgY&ab_channel=BreakofReality

user you okay?

Tweaked it a little bit since last night, what do you guys think?

Want to make a wizard who runs around grifting as a fortune teller. What should I do? I've never built a wizard before but I was thinking divination with the entertainer background?

Where do you think we are right now?

sounds about right if you're gonna be honest, if you're gonna bullshit go charlatan

Don't make me feel these feels ;_;

Thanks user
Anything else?

That's exactly the right track, my man. Do you remember Professor Marvel from the Wizard of Oz? Go for that.

I roleplay session 0 with any number of similar premises. My favorite is conscription to the local militia. They'll run through training regimens to determine their abilities and are conveniently placed into the same squad/platoon. Players come to the table with names, backgrounds, races, and the like already decided (about half of a character sheet), and by the end of the session they'll have determined stats (2d6+6, 2d4+7, 1d4+1d3+2d3dl+4... I like to go crazy with odd rolling methods that are pretty statistically sound), class, equipment, gold, and the first plot hook.

divination criminal blackmailer could be fun.

You sound buttblasted. There's no need to be upset.

I dig it.

Like i said, character options are mostly fine, they tend towards weaker than default options so won't generally cause issues. Personally I'd never allow Healing Elixir from UAStarterSpells or the Thuerge and Lore Wizard archetypes, wizards don't need even better options when they are the "best" class.

Is "there's no reason to be upset" like a new faggot codeword or something, like "friend of Dorothy" used to be? I keep seeing faggots saying it all the time.

2hu?

>like "friend of Dorothy" used to be?
Wait, that's what that phrase means? I've been describing myself as such because I'm made out of tin. God damn it, now everything that's happened to me is making sense!

It's telling you to stop being a little bitch and to stop you from going full autistic when you were rightly told you were wrong.

I think my theory makes more sense. The guy is clearly looking for dick.

I love me some 'lock, gonna hold onto this

Do you need psychiatric help?

How can I just completely break something to fuck with my DM? I play a 6th level Battlemaster. I want to do something that just turns his facial expression to pure disgust, whether it's cheesing a fight or doing something out of combat to completely break a scenario he set up.

Also, what are the best ways that you have made your DM absolutely disgusted? Think like, "casting Thunderwave at 6th level while inside a dragon" disgusted.

2d8? Just attack twice with a longsword. You're level 6 so you've got extra attack by then.

First of all, thunderwave at 6th level is 7d8
Secondly, it's the concept that's disgusting, not the number

Why would you do that? Why are you being a piece of shit?

Cooperate with someone on your team who can paralyze an enemy. Then action surge and hit him with 4 attacks which will all be crits if they hit, and spend a superiority dice on every attack. If you use a Greatsword you can do 16d6+8d8+(STR*4) in one turn. I would be pretty disgusted if one of my players did that.

I'm going to a con this weekend that is running DnD games. What am I in for here?

I don't want to be an asshole, I just want to totally catch him off guard and get some laughs. Just like a one-time thing
Like this. This is great.

DnD, user.

>accidentally been calling yourself a faggot for who knows how long
Oh lord, I feel sorry for you

Prolly.

I'm just wondering if anime conventions were a decent place to game or if I should avoid it.

It'll probably be fine.

>going to anime conventions for any reason

Its 2d8+1d8 per spell level, not character level, so character level 6 is 3rd spell level at best, or 4d8.
Secondly, I can see I didn't properly preheat my joke before serving
Thirdly, 6th Battlemaster is the wrong material to try and break the game with. There aren't many things that can to begin with, and Battlemaster, while flavorful, is pretty vanilla as far as combos go.

Expect catgirls.

>Its 2d8+1d8 per spell level, not character level, so character level 6 is 3rd spell level at best, or 4d8.
Are you retarded? Whenever someone says "casting a spell at X level", they mean spell level. Jesus fuck.

I just posted my first ever LFG listing on Roll20. What can I expect?

I had a pretty stringent questionnaire; I posted it a couple threads ago.

>see special enemy given some focus, whether spell caster or martial
>attack, disarming strike. Knock its weapon or focus out of hand
>kick item away, free interaction
>attack, tripping strike, knock it prone
>action surge
>attack, menacing strike. Make it scared of you.
>attack, grapple.

Now it can't use its weapon (or can't use spells that have material focus), is on the ground (all attacks versus it have advantage), its frightened so it wants to get the fuck away from you, and it's grappled so it doesn't have movement to stand up or to try to get away. So it's stuck to the ground.

Ideally you've something you can blow your bonus action on as well.

Oh I meant casting Thunderwave from a 6th level spells lot. Sorry bout that

It's better than the yaoi paddles.

Why not both?

Oh man, I have shield master so I can shove him prone with the bonus action and have a leftover attack just to shit on him a bit more while he's prone

Far as I know, yaoi paddles have been banned. They are no longer a thing.

Yeah, but the Battlemaster is level 6. Should I really compare that to Wizard 11?

Meh my cousin is super into them so I'm going to tag along. I'm not gonna dress up but I'm a faggot so I plan on getting laid, playing role playing games and drinking all weekend.

Instantly regretting asking, but do you know why?

I want to play a wizard necromancer, and basically be Skeletor. What do I need to make sure I do with my build to ensure the maximum amount of campy evil is brought to the party?