I'm in an RPG rut and need something that isn't generic fantasy

I'm in an RPG rut and need something that isn't generic fantasy.
>inb4 GURPS

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/u7b4yg5yvhtqkit/MYZ - Core Rulebook.pdf?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You want fantasy or no fantasy at all?

Preferably none, but I'm open to things if you can sell me on them.

Would cryptomancer count?

It's possibly the least generic fantasy.

Or maybe something even more different

If no fantasy I suggest a cyberpunk game, like for example Cyberpunk 2020, Zaibatsu or Savage Worlds: Interface Zero.

In fantasy worlds you usually have a clear definition of who is good and who is bad. In cyberpunk this doesn't exist - everyone is dirty. Also cyberpunk games tend to be very, very lethal. Combat isn't heroic or romantic but messy and painful. Lastly, cyberpunk games tend to play on our planet and not in a fantasy land. It's different if you play in Faerün or in your hometown (that might be part of some gigantic and polluted urban sprawl).

Traveller. Space Opera, but can be easily pushed towards Firefly-style "band on the run" games. Absurdly simple skill/combat resolution.

call of cthulhu?

That at best informs us of not wanting certain settings, but tells us nothing about your needs and wants.

Would a universal RPG be okay? You could then just attach cyberpunk or weird war II or some other setting to it.

Any of the 40k games
Numenera
Call of Cthulhu
Mutants & Masterminds

Just play Fragged Empire bro. It won't get boring.

MAID is solid, Apocalypse World is always great, Fiasco, Spellbound Kingdoms, Microscope and Pendragon are other games you could try. IMO don't do Numenera if you're trying to get away from D&D as it's 5e-adjacent.

I am just discovering the beauty that is called Feng Shui 2.

Talislanta is a pretty metal weird fantasy setting. More details here:

>That at best informs us of not wanting certain settings, but tells us nothing about your needs and wants.
this. come clean, faggot, whaddaya want?

>rules-light brainlet
kys

Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green
I've been on a real Bubblegumshoe kick lately, ran a Stranger Things style one-shot that my group absolutely loved.

>RPG rut
>I.e. probably wants something a bit different from the norm
>Bored of frpgs which are usually crunchy and simulationist
>also specifically doesn't want GURPS, another hint that he's not looking for something crunchy

I generally prefer pretty heavy, simulation-focused frpgs, playing Iron Kingdoms now and having a lot of fun, idk what you're on about. If I want something a bit different and just to have an interesting 1-2 sessions, rules heavy is impossible. Maid, Apocalypse World, Fiasco etc. allow for this and are nice as in-between or break games, or as a way to get to know a new group.

Eclipse Phase

Whatbis even the point of Maid? Does it actually have merit or is it a massive meme?

Try playing Monsters and Other Childish Things. It's a game where you play as a school age kid (Elementary through High School) who has a cool monster sidekick and you go on adventures and try to keep your monster from eating people. It's a great mix of slice of life, comedy and horror.

It's a competitive comedy game about playing anime maids competing for the master's recognition. It's usally played in oneshots, where the character generation really shines. Outside the character generation (which is a series of tables to create maids of thematically appropriate (i.e. nonsensical) backstories, maid powers, weapons, looks and so on), there are also a lot of tables for random events and stuff, the base mechanics are simple but work (2d6+stat IIRC) and the tables are really the important part IMO.

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

Unique dice system and a very decent open world to fuck around in.

Also getting a generic version of the system called Genesys this winter.

Mutant Year Zero, my group and I are loving it. We play every Thursday night for the last 18 months with breaks for holiday periods.

Here's an officially owned dropbox link friend friend :) Enjoy

dropbox.com/s/u7b4yg5yvhtqkit/MYZ - Core Rulebook.pdf?dl=0

Second mention for Cyberpunk 2020.

Since you give absolutely 0 detail on what you want, yes, GURPS. It can likely do whatever you actually want.

I play with DND 5, and i find that whoever prefers a rules heavy game for the reason that is heavy should kill himself on the spot.

What about a non generic fantasy? Trollbabe or Polaris, for example.

It was one of the most fun session we have had. But also as this user pointed out a one shot.

So yeah it is a beer and prez ...and schnaps game. Very fun. But I would play it maximum once or twice a year

>anybody who can lift weights with ease that i struggle to just get off the ground should kill themselves
ok

>anybody who can lift weights with ease that i struggle to just get off the ground should kill themselves
See this is exactly his point, people treating rules-heavy systems as inherently better due to the fact that they are heavier, not because they have more fun with it.

GURPS
unless you're a brainlet

Night Witches is a Powered by the Apocalypse game where you play as a historical women's Soviet bomber squadron in the later days of WW2, and switches between the grueling and lethal night missions they flew and all the politics back at base when dealing with authorities who undercut you at every turn.

Is that different enough?