Critical Role Episode 110 Thread

TPK Soon Edition:

>When:
10PM EST/7PM PST
>Where:
geekandsundry.com/twitch/

Last Time:
>Reddit gets made about liveshow stuff
>Everyone gathers at Vasselheim in order to plot against Vecna, Vax forgets to attune his ring and Vecna hears everything
>Decide to catchup and attack Vecna, forgetting to buff
>Vecna is in a city being carried by a fucking Titan
>Vax/Keyleth get punched by the Titan, both take 80 damage and burn a bunch of spells
>They now have to traverse through the titan, get to Vecna and co, and kill them
>Btw they only have ~8-10 hours before the Titan arrives at Vasselheim, drops the city it's carrying on top of it, and Vecna becomes a full fledged god and it's all but over

Do they even stand a chance? Will Ashley Johnson show up? Will Tumblr turn on Matt after the TPK?

Other urls found in this thread:

criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/Vecna)
criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/Vox_Machina
criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_episodes
critrolestats.com/pcstats/
reddit.com/r/criticalrole/wiki/faq/matthewmercer#wiki_list_of_matt.27s_homebrew
twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/681950486291824640
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Vex* forgets to attune to the ring.
Although it's really the guy who gave to them's fault for not telling them it requires attunement. And giving it away before they had finished making plans.

Tfw I have watched 109 episodes of this shit (Some multiple times) and I STILL mix up Vax & Vex

Inb4 Undead titan dungeon crawl

How would you deal with this situtation (In order to make it even remotely possible to survive)

If I was DM'ing this I would make it so that this dungeon is be long as fuck, ending in a relatively challenging boss fight (Either a Beholder+Minions or Delilah+Death Knight)

Afterwords they will find a way to stop the Titan long enough to finagle a long rest. The city portion would be long as fuck and it will probably end with Vecna finally getting control of the Titan and killing/forcing retreat for everyone but Kima/Allura.

Kima would use divine intervention to heal the party (Using fudged dice rolls). Then it would be Vox Machina + Kima/Allura vs Vecna & Titan (Titan can either attempt to melee once a turn or spawn minions)

As it stands now they need DM mercy to succeed

>ending in a relatively challenging boss fight (Either a Beholder+Minions or Delilah+Death Knight)
Delilah will probably be the miniboss and of the Titan and then Grog will somehow use the Titanstone Knuckles to stop the Titan before he city drops on Vasselheim (if they make it in time).

Reposting Veeky Forums's Crit Role battleplan from last thread.
1/?
Well, the best ways they can beat up Vecna is by going into the fight with as many non-Concentration buffs on the party as they can:

> Freedom of Movement on the martial DPS and support, at the very least Vax, Vex, and Scanlan.
> Heroes Feast the night before, probably in Scanlan's mansion.
> Focus fire one target at a time, don't split up the damage sources.
> If you can temporarily enchant Percy's guns so they can affect Vecna, do it.
> Protect Scanalan, he's the only one who can Counterspell Vecna's big spells and the save or suck stuff.
> Keep Pike alive to provide healing and potentially burn Vecna's own Counterspells.

The most important thing is this:

> Keyleth has to become another support character during the fight, and look to use her staff charges during the fight when the opportunity is available.

This means stuff like Lesser or Greater Restoration when people get paralyzed or mind controlled, Healing Word should be read nearly every round to top people up or get them moving again if they go down via damage and not by something like Power Word Kill, Finger of Death, or Disintegrate.

But this means Marisha would have to actually play her character to its fullest potential, and she just doesn't know how to do that.

2/?

For the moment, let's assume everyone in the party is level 18 when they go into the fight against Vecna just to keep the options simple (I know they won't be; some will be level 20, others will be 19, and I think Pike will be the only level 18 in the fight).

Level 18 Moon Druid:
24 Prepared spells.

Level 18 War Cleric:
23 Prepared spells, 10 Domain spells.

Level 18 Lore Bard:
24 known spells

Level 13 Assassin Rouge/5 Vengeance Paladin:
Four 1st level, Two 2nd level slots.

Level 14 Ranger/4 Assassin Rogue:
8 spells known, Four 1st level, Three 2nd and 3rd level, One 4th level spell slots

Level 15 Berserker Barbarian/Battlemaster Fighter 3:
3 maneuvers, lots of Rage

Level 18 Gunslinger Fighter:
Lots of trickshot uses and two Action Surges, along with Hex

Pre-battle buffs:

Heroes Feast the night before. Between the Cleric and the Druid, they blow their 4th level slots and a 5th level slot from the Druid on Freedom of Movement on the party.

Bard looks to use a mix of Bardic Inspiration and Cutting Words along with his higher level spell slots on Counterspelling the large stuff from Vecna (Finger of Death, Power Word Kill, Disintegrate, etc.), uses the lower level stuff to keep everyone topped up via Healing Word.

Cleric uses her spells on Cure Wounds, Mass Cure Wounds, Heal, etc., while helping to beat up Delilah if she's on the ground. Otherwise Cleric stays in back and is on defensive to protect Bard and Druid.

Druid looks to provide more healing or use some save or suck spells, or the spells in the staff, to try and burn through Legendary Resists.

Grog, Percy, and the Twins blow up Delilah, looking to take her out quickly before she can overwhelm the combined focus firing that the Bard will draw upon himself. After that, you kill or disable the Death Knight, ideally by removing his weapon and then subjecting him to Hold Person or Banishment.

After that, you blow EVERYTHING on Vecna, overwhelm him with action economy.

3/?

My guess is that Vecna and Delilah will look to take out Scanlan first, being the only arcane caster in the group who can potentially thwart their arcane spells. The Death Knight will probably try to Banishment Grog once again like in the last fight, and then look to bop the support/squishies.

My guess is Delilah will shift her focus off Scanlan and go for Pike and Keyleth once she sees the amount of protection they're giving him and look to use save or suck spells on them, or do something like Finger of Death, Power Word Kill, or Disintegrate on them. Meanwhile, Vecna's hovering in the air, teleporting around and firing off Cone of Cold with Legendary Actions, and using his turn to fire off his own large spells like Power Word Kill, Finger of Death, Disintegrate, and trying to Dispel the buffs on the party (a thing not normally allowed, but Matt's done it before against the party).

It's probably only when things start turning south on Vecna that he's going to start tapping into his divine powers and look to auto-succeed on some of his spells, or recharge the higher level spell slots burned earlier in the fight. At that point it's going to be a race to see if action economy and some lucky rolls let VM over-ride the lich god.

My personal hope is that he goes to leave the fight via Gate, thinking that at least him attaining godhood is enough and that leaving the Mortal Plane means the other gods can't deal with him, only for a weak and barely alive Scanlan to blow his 9th level Counterspell - a thing he'd been saving the entire fight - with something to the effect of him mooning the lich god and farting so loud it disrupts his Gate spell.

4/4

Its doable against a ~lvl30 wiz and his 2 (but probably more) buffed up companions but if Matt even tries to win the fight its all over.
Vecna has a modified "Hold monster/person" called "Hold Creature" that works on any creature alive or unliving.
His spells are DC 25 at a minimum.
He should have 3 spellslots for every level, or at least 2 for 9th lvl because he is ~10lvls above a regular wizard.
He should have the "wish" spell which gives him infinite resources to fuel things like 'clone' 'create dead' 'symbol' 'glyph of warding' etc. So he can just have spent the last 2 days booby trapping the place into hell and having glyphs rigged to summon like 8+ CR5 Balguras.
If Matt really wants to kill them just place glyphs everywhere with the "Hypnotic Pattern" , "Bestow Curse" and "Hold Person" then even Delilah and the Death Knight can take VM on and win.

I can only assume that Matt is going to pull his punch with preparation because if he didn't it would just be game over.

>They may also just run through the titan-dungeon triggering the 100+ trap/glyphs that vecna put there which will kill them anyway

That's if they get to long rest before Vecna. If they get to the end of the titan are they just gonna hop in the mansion and long rest and heroes feast? Vasselheim would definitely be a goner at that point. But they probably do not stand a chance at all if they don't have all their spells.

Their best bet is to have Pike try and Divine Intervention and ask for rejuvination for her party equating to a long rest

All of this stuff was actually theory-crafted about 2 streams ago before they got stuck in the position they're in. Even so I think Matt will give then a divine intervention long-rest.

Anything we should add?

Can't Vecna just dispel Heroes Feast like Raishan did?

How many times will Keyleth use gust cantrip?

He can dispell it 1 person/turn right?

Never seen this before, thinking about popping in for today. Worth watching?

What is everyone's predictions for PCs for the next campaign?
Basing this off nothing at all but here it goes:
>Liam might be a Sorcerer/Wizard
>Travis will be a Half-Orc and maybe a Bloodhunter or Warlock
>Laura will be a Tiefling and possibly a Cleric or Wizard/Sorcerer
>Marisha will be a Dwarf maybe a Fighter or Barbarian
>No clue what Sam, Talisen, or Ashley will play

Probably either the final boss fight or the dungeon before the final boss leading up to a cliffhanger. Watch if you want. Leave if you want. Whatever works

>Never seen this before, thinking about popping in for today. Worth watching?
In the middle of the Final Arc so it might be a little deep in. Good RP bad combat strategies. Honestly, I watch it because the characters are interesting and Matt Mercer is a hell of a DM.

i'm still butthurt that percy didn't tell grog to take the hammer
tpk soon boys

Uhhhhh

On one hand it will probably be a very exciting episode.

On the other this is probably one of the last (If not the last) episodes of this campaign. If that doesn't bother you here is a VERY BRIEF summary of whats going on.

>Vecna (criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/Vecna) ascended into godhood, but needs to create a miracle to fully become a god
>The party creates trammels to seal Vecna away
>Them and everyone important meet in the holy city of Vasselheim to plan, and then launch a final attack
>Vecna is control an ancient titan from a city that is on top of the Titan as it marches toward Vasselheim
>The party lands in a cave inside the titan and has to get to the top and kill Vecna before he gets to Vasselhiem, drops his city on top of it, thus having a show of force strong enough to be a miracle

Character bios:
criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/Vox_Machina

Episode Summaries (Not are all complete, start a Season 8)
criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_episodes

If it means anything I started by watching ep 108. I am now watching from the beginning, but plan to watch the finale.

This sums up the entire series. I am really excited for the next campaign just to see who becomes what

>Mary Elizabeth next week
>Sam DMing

This should be wonderful

>Started listening/watching a few weeks ago
>Get to Trial of the Take Pt1/2
>It's the episodes with Felica Day in them
>Expect it to be awful and just a shit excuse to shoehorn her into the show for two eps since Critical Role was getting big
>She is actually really fucking good at her character, has great comedic timing, and only 1 or two jokes fall flat
>Try and watch her anywhere else and it's suffering
It was fucking weird

>Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in next weeks one off with Scanlin

FUCK YEAH

Is it bad I am willing to accept Ashly Burch because Mary Elizabeth is in it

i went into that first slayer's take episode wanting to hate it so much but i couldn't, she worked amazing with everyone else
however the second group was literally unwatchable

No, they could balance out
Unfortunately they probably won't balance out because Ashly Burch is going to hog as much attention as possible

Matt said Vecna has altered versions of some spells, so he could probably hit several of them in one turn
Plus he can do it with legendary actions too

Yea the beginning of Critical Role was a little iffy, but I think it definitely picked up during the Slayer's take arc.

Yeah I started the 2nd half and I might skip it
>Don't like Orion (Nothing against the guy but he reminds me of bad players I had to DM for)
>Marisha is OK (She annoys me sometimes but I don't hate her like some do)
>Liam is great
>Hate the two guests so far.

Ashley Burch is p. cute, tbqh

Percy invoking a demon's pact at the last minute.

will friedle is fine in his later appearances
it's such a miserable pair of episodes and you don't miss anything huge, i'd just skip it

That episode was literally "Three Assholes and a Keyleth"

[spoilers]Orion gets booted later if that makes you feel better.[/spoiler]

three assholes and a retard

Yeah that's what I said

SHIT

I like Liam a lot (And his character before his My Chemical Romance arc) but he is a bit quiet and needs a good foil

Yeah I read about that. I don't blame him because if half of that happened to me at once I'd use a railroad track as a neckrest as a train was coming by

Still don't forgive him for making the Beholder fight the most skin crawlingly awkward think I have watched in forever

Ctrl+S

ctrl+s my nigga

Give me your honest opinion. Should I watch this series from beginning to end? Is it worth it?

Honestly? Yes, I think so.

It's definitely the best way to watch it, but it's a huge commitment. If you're feeling up for several hundred hours of a single campaign, go for it.

My newfag is showing. Thanks friends.

Is this right?

>Laura wearing an Uncharted shirt

If you want to actually focus on it and it only, maybe not.

However I can't recommend it enough for 2nd screen viewing/listening while doing something else.

Some of the early episodes are rough to get through, but it gets very good. A few of them get annoying to watch but there are so many fun moments it's worth it.

What lvl are they?

i binged 103 episodes in 3 weeks over summer vacation, if you've got the time sure
there's a lot of shit i would have skipped in retrospect but if you have free time you might as well watch it all

~18
They're not all at the same level

18 except for Pike IIIRC

critrolestats.com/pcstats/

If you click a character sheet you can look at their character details

How good/bad are they at playing the game? What about roleplaying?

They're all very good at their characters' roleplay. Unfortunately some of those characters are retarded.

They're mediocre players, so if people not following the rules to a T or playing a class suboptimally triggers your autism...I advise just putting it on in the background.

some are amazing at roleplay, some are good, some are shit
the amazing ones carry it
they're pretty bad at the game though but it's a pretty rp heavy show

Game skill: Varies, roleplay tends to go before optimization
Roleplay: Generally excellent
Ability to make good choices: Severely hampered by their characters in a lot of cases

>How good/bad are they at playing the game?
Uhhhh they are OK. They usually come up with big plans and then yolo it. Some are better than others

>What about roleplaying?
Very very good. Keyleth is horrible but the character wasn't great to begin with (Essentially she is a super insecure druid when in real life she is super outgoing)

They also do some homebrew shit because this campaign started in Pathfinder (They even homebrewed a whole class for Percy so he could be a gunslinger)
reddit.com/r/criticalrole/wiki/faq/matthewmercer#wiki_list_of_matt.27s_homebrew

Also house rules to make resurrections harder
twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/681950486291824640

Sam (Scanlan) and Travis (Grog) are objectively the best roleplayers in the group.
Ashley (Pike) is a close runner up.
Laura (Vex) and Taliesin (Percy) are good enough to not get annoyed at.
Liam (Vax) gets really angsty at times and it gets on quite a few people's nerves, but other than that he's pretty good.
Marisha (Keyleth) is fucking awful. Someone else with more time can explain, because I'm not getting too into it here.

When it comes to actually playing the game, they all forget things from time to time. Sam and Taliesin seem to have the best system knowledge. Travis is consistently very good at what Grog does, but he doesn't have too many things to actually do considering his character. Laura and Liam have never quite understood how spells and certain abilities work, but they do ok. Marisha has no fucking clue how her spells work. She didn't at the beginning and she barely knows more now. She constantly tries to do things with her spells that are explicitly not possible in the description, and it really gets fucking annoying. Ashley does pretty well, but considering how little she's on the show she limits herself to only a few familiar things.

>They even homebrewed a whole class for Percy so he could be a gunslinger
Not a whole class, it's a Fighter subclass. It's not really that bad but leans toward the stronger side.

Mfw "rocks fall everyone dies"

Marisha just has no place playing her character (Both lore and complexity). I am really hoping she plays a Barbarian or something

they're so done for
this is probably the most unprepared they've ever been for a big fight, and this is the biggest fight they've ever had

I hope she plays something that she can actually be decent at so she might eventually realize that everyone who has a problem with Keyleth isn't just some woman-hating virgin scumbag

Champion Fighter

My only issue with her is that her character is super self-conscious and tryhardy (though part of it is her) and it doesn't fit in with these larger than life heroes with fully fleshed out stories (and Percy but he never talks so)

How high on the fantasy scale is the setting?

Pretty damn high. Magic and magic items are commonplace, spellcasting is seen as normal, and strange creatures ranging from Beholders to dragons to krakens make appearances. Personally, I love it.

lots of magical items for everyone

First battle of the episode! Are these normal Earth Elementals, or are they weird ones like the lava bulettes?

Evidently they're some sort of corpse-y creatures, but not actually undead.

Kek Matt having no fucking mercy already

I love it.

I love their really pretty setpieces, but I kind miss the drawings so you could see everything easily

...weird

About fucking time

Drawings?

Thanks, guess I'm in.

...is Hot Chick looking up monsters mid combat? I tend to not give a shit about metagaming, but that just seems so tasteless and mechanical.

the problem is the fucking awful camera angles

Probably looking at monsters for shape change, Matt does a lot of homebrew with monsters anyway.

Do you mean Marisha? If she's looking through the MM it's because she's a Druid and has wild shape and summon stuff. She might also be refreshing herself on what Earth Elementals can do, which makes sense because she can literally become them. The only one of them who metagamed significantly was Orion and he hasn't been on the show in a long time.

She tends to look up her spells from the player's handbook during combat
She also uses the monster manual to find stats for her Wild Shape and Shapechange abilities.
If she looked up the monsters they fought I would hope she would be better at the game

>Laura haggling her own fucking attacks
Classic

It's likely that Vecna's suffused his divine essence into the Titan to let him jaeger it, which is why we're getting these "mindless not!undead elementals" acting as the thing's antibodies trying to repel the disease that is VM.

Ok that antibody things is actually pretty neat

>That episode where they fight the Beholder and Orion keeps insisting on smoking it out even though his character would have LITERALLY ZERO reason to know Beholders are more powerful in their lair, and outside his lair is a city of mindflayers that may or may not all attempt to kill them.

SOME

BODY

I still remember when it was revealed that Lord and Lady Briarwood were Vampires and Matt had to force Orion to actually look up the information about them so that his character would know it

When does he leave? I just started listening and am about 20 episodes in and I can't stand him and his character.

His last episode is 27

It's not even the Lady, just Lord Briarwood was a vampire, she's just a fucking bitch Necromancer Wizard.

Episode 27 I think, it's between the Slayer's Take and the Briarwood arc

Before they leave for whitestone

you forgot the part where he tried to use anti vampire tactics before his character would have even known during that first fight

he leaves after 27 which is one of the worst and most uncomfortable episodes of all time

How can it be worse than the Beholder fight? He literally packed his shit to leave as the final blow was being dealt.

the fucking Decanter of Endless Water... praise Matt for that fucking Feeblemind

Two words.

Shopping. Episode.

M I R R O R S
I
R
R
O
R
S

Wait so it's a shopping episode WITH angst?

That seems fucking hilariously awful and painful

...does their bard not know how enchanted weapons work?

Honestly it's worth the watch just for cringe-hating Orion in his final moments on the show

it's a shopping episode where tiberius argues with matt and tries to hog all the attention and makes an awkward sexual joke about vex which makes travis angry

This is like the third or fourth time he's used a weapon in the whole show, he only really knows spells