/SIFG/ - A Song of Ice and Fire General

Triarch of Volantis Edition

A thread for discussing the setting of George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels and all related traditional gaming.

Possible topics of discussion include the novels themselves, the licensed rpg by Green Ronin Publishing, the card and board games by Fantasy Flight Games, the miniatures game by CMON Limited, general aSoIaF lore and theories, artwork, HBO's adaptation 'Game of Thrones' and the computer rpg, and the Telltale video game series.

Game Resources

A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire_Roleplaying_(SIFRP)
-Cheat Sheets (Includes House Creation Rules)
>mediafire.com/folder/cam2kq4lrmdm9/Cheat_Sheets

A Game of Thrones: The Living Card Game (Second Edition)
-Official Fantasy Flight Games Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/a-game-of-thrones-the-card-game-second-edition/
-Card Spoilers
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-cards
-Deckbuilder
>cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-deckbuilder

A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game
-Kickstarter Page
>kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game/description
-Official CMON Limited Page
>cmon.com/product/a-song-of-ice-fire-tmg/starter-set-stark-vs-lannister

Lore

A Wiki of Ice and Fire
> awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

The Lands of Ice and Fire (Maps)
>mediafire.com/folder/q5a5zbkb30uxo/TLoIaF

Did nothing wrong.

She did do something wrong.
She didn't kill all the masters.

That's exactly what she did right. The peace was real.

>hey im going to try to forcefully change a system deeply ingrained into the culture and economy of these cities
>and lets put a knight with no real knowledge of how to rule in charge while im gone
>oh no

Actually, Hizdahr was left in charge, since he was her co-ruler. Barristan kinda deposed him on Shavepate's advice.

Speaking of giants:

Giants in the miniatures games, yes or no? The correct answer is fuck yes.

God I wish that were me

>Amber Heard on the right

A question for you a/SIFG/uys, with the Kickstarter Wargame on it's way - does anyone know if the game will include rules for skirmish or campaign based game?

Because with the miniatures coming out, I'm thinking of organizing a skirmish based campaign, ala Mordheim/Frostgrave. If they don't include rules for that level of combat, I'm leaning toward Mordheim ruling just for it's weight on campaign based game play.

>Rules and miniatures for Giants.
>Rules and miniatures for Dragons.

>No items
>Fox only
>Final Destination

There will be five modes of gameplay, including a take-and-hold objective mode called (of course) 'A Game of Thrones'.

I haven't seen anything about campaign play but they'd be mad not to include it at some point down the road seeing as they could turn a profit by nothing more than including a nice map of Westeros for marking progress.

>Wun Wun was a giant
>Tooh Tooh was one too.
>Wun Wun killed one knight.
>And Tooh Tooh killled one too.

Don't forget the war mammoths.

Don't forget; bare legs and midriff are THE look when traversing the Land of Always Winter.

I really wish there were digital versions of these maps so we didn't have the creases.

My dream casting was Tabrett Bethell for Rhaenys
and Katheryn Winnick for Visenya
I would be totally happy with Amber doing it though

Fantastic maps but I have to admit I love these archaic-style ones

Posting best House

Val best girl

Top tier taste.

I'd love to see young Bobby B wrecking shit in the trident.
I'm a bit let down, judging by this weeks episodes leaked scripts that Lyanna and Rhaegar is just another tragic lovestory. Honestly, Rhaegar kidnapping and raping lyanna in his obsession to fufill his prophecy was more interesting, if not more edgy. But now he's just a shitty white haired Romeo.

Had a game in Crusader Kings where I kidnapped her, married her, and we founded a new kingdom of Skagos. It was a bit shitty that we had to first rebel against the Starks, then against the Iron throne for full independence though.

Daena Targ, Sheira Seastar and Ashara Dayne are also up there for me.

That one is certainly a beauty.

You all have high taste in waifus, but not quite top taste.

>That one is certainly a beauty.
The easter eggs are the best part

>Free Cities

Braavos seems pretty cosy
I know from experience a place like that could get really damp in the winter though
And serious floods/tides would suck
But it does seem like nicer than most other places

She's Val of Whitetree right? I can never find her in my games.

She's a bit young m8.

Campaign idea: players are junior blood magician/Red Priest(ess) types who have to venture out to Asshai and beyond

>not Dacey Mormont
I agree though, top tier taste friendo

It's easy to find her by looking up Mance (if the bookmark he's already married) and then clicking on his wife, who is her older sister.

What is it about northern women?

Touched by fire

pretty in mink, poor ladies but great wives.
And I imagine them as having pale sexy skin, like Aria Alexander. And I can't imagine anything more comfy then seeding your northern wife under the furs in front of a fire in the frigid north.

>She's a bit young m8

You're thinking of Wylla. Who is admittedly awesome but, as you said, a bit young.

Wynafryd is nineteen or twenty and shares the same 'Fuck the Freys" sentiments as her little sister (although she's better at keeping them hidden in public).

Also a great choice.

Fucking Frey bastards.

I guess harsh landscapes breed hot women.

I provide as evidence: Australia.

Do you perchance know where you got that map? It's several times higher quality than the ones I have.

Pic related.

Ideally I'd like to get them all in this quality and use them to replace the ones currently in the Mediafire link.

>Do you perchance know where you got that map? It's several times higher quality than the ones I have.
Google image search lead me to Reddit

I guess it wouldn't hurt to look there then.

Do you think the Titan of Braavos can shoot flaming oil out if its dick?

Does he even have dick?
Oh, right, ASOIAF, of course he does.

I just looked at the GoT mini kickstarter. Man those are some cool minis, I hope this game kicks Age of Shitmar in the ass and we can get a decent fantasy mini game.

>tfw crushing your opponents with the golden company and Aegon

Feels good man, unfortunately all anyone will play is Targaryans because muh dragons or Starks because muh good guys.

But Stannis is the good guy.

So how far is it from top to bottom as the crow flies?

The wall is 100 leagues long, and mspaint tells me it's 9.5 wall lengths from castle black to the south coast of dorne.

So that's 482 km or 300 miles for Americans. Lets say Dragonstone is about 6 wall lengths. That's 2900km or 1800 miles.

Man, ravens can fly fast.

Why are there models for the nobles? Will they be like objective markers or?

I got eight lengths but I bet my fingers aren't the most accurate of measurement tools.

So it's roughly 2850 miles from the Wall to the southern coast of Dorne. Which is more or less equivalent to the distance between Mexico City and the northern border of Manitoba.

They are just for different game related buffs. You can't charge Sansa into a group of knights, unfortunately.

>However, wars are not fought solely on the battlefield. Players may also choose to spend points on various Non-Combat Units (NCU), such as Tyrion Lannister and Catelyn Stark. These individuals work behind the scenes, influencing the course of events through their skills at politics, negotiation, or battlefield strategy.

I I remember correctly I think ravens can fly like four or five hundred miles per day irl. So yeah, it's a pretty fast method of communication for a medieval/early renaissance civilization.

You can spend points on non-combat units (NCUs) that each turn can claim spots of the 'Tactics Board' in order to gain bonuses on the battlefield. In addition the the base bonuses provided by each spot most NCUs can also gain extra bonuses by claiming a particular spot representing their individual affinities- Tyrion, for example, might get an extra bonus if he claims the [Money] spot.

>You can't charge Sansa into a group of knights, unfortunately

I could see us getting an Arryn-aligned, combat-oriented Sansa down the line depending on what happens once Winds of Winter is released. Granted, there's no way to know if the game will even still be around in the year 2036.

I'd rather charge a group of knights into Sansa tbqh

>mountains of the morn
Is this a WHFB reference?

I think Ramsey is the one character whose looks they changed significantly in the show where I actually prefer the show version.

Looking at the more book-accurate version CMON is using I almost can't take him seriously. He just looks so comically evil and disgusting- it looks like something that belongs in 40k.

>Winds of winter
>Getting released
>Ever

That fat fuck is too busy rolling in stacks of cash, I doubt he is even working on winds of winter honestly.

The wiki doesn't say anything as to what if anything it might be an homage. It's certainly possible.

Everything on the eastern half if that map are semi-canonical Cthulhu references like Carcosa and K'dath
It would tie into that somehow

Forgot my pic.

Is the Sweetwater River the only way to get drinkable water in Braavos?

>In the year 7510
>If GRRM's going to finish the series, he'll have finished by then
>He either print out the final page
>Or leave neckbeards seething in rage
>Woah-oh-oh

Book Ramsay always made me think of some 70's heavy metal bloke from the Midlands, like that was GRRM's idea of someone truly satanic
Of course Show Ramsay was Welsh so he was naturally monstrous

So that's how that Asshai'i ship ended up wrecked on the frozen shore!

It seems like it. Cut off that aqueduct and seize the surrounding islands and they're fucked.

>Making a speculative map
>Of a fantasy setting

Why?

Autism

You ever seen the worldbuilding threads? Some mapmaker types get really carried away
I prefer stuff like this

>the vale of arryn is closer to the north pole than the land of always winter

How bout this one?

the awkwardness of that fucking right angle makes me itch

DEEPEST LORE

>Whitehills are amongst Stark bannermen
>Forresters aren't

What the fuck?

Oh shit.

Oh shit!

Coldhands is on the left. Who are the rest? I think the middle one looks like Lady Stoneheart?

Lady Stoneheart is my guess as well, but in that case what is the faction they would both belong to? Undead?

I wonder how the war game plans on making each of the armies of the 7 kingdoms

I assume the vale would be focused on cav spam

No user you're thinking about Renly

Renly was a dumb fag who couldn't realize that teaming up with stannis means no joffery and he can always stage a coup if stannis turns out to be a bad king

Renly did everything wrong. Do the reasons why he's a bad man who'd make a bad king need to be explained again?

I can't say how CMON will actually do things but I have ideas as to how I would do various factions.

>Baratheon (specifically Stannis' faction)

The basic combat units would be similar to those of the Starks- not the best equipped but skilled and highly loyal. Lots of focus on buffing oneself and debuffing one's opponent through Asshai-priestess-bullshit. Perhaps the units representing the more fanatic followers of the Red God would get bonuses the more models they lose similar to the Stark's Umber berserkers.

>Tyrell

Literally just the Imperial Guard. Heavy cavalry and a shit-ton of infantry. Their basic infantry unit might only be half as good as those of the other factions but it's also twice as cheap so there's a lot of them and you get further boosts by outnumbering your opponent. Tyrell can also be an absolute beast on the tactics board with an NCU like Olenna Tyrell.

>Targaryan

I admittedly have trouble coming up with an overall strategy for Dany and co; I think it would depend on what units you take. Dothraki units are not the strongest and have almost no armor to speak of but they can maneuver faster and better than any other unit in the game. Unsullied, meanwhile, are tanks that only get even more godly when they hold in formation. God only knows how dragons will factor in.

Renly is one of aSoIaF's defining example of the 'local man ruins everything' meme- and that's saying a lot seeing as that meme can be applied to nearly every character in the series at one point or another.

I think heavy calvary doesn't seem very valeish
Also the stormalnds should have a non rhollor option since only stannis and beric are rhollor followers
Maybe an option the revilves around OP leaders ala robert

Sorry meant reachish
Calavary would be the vales forte

I would honestly prefer if they did a tabletop game based on Aegon's conquest. There's potential for factions to be quite a bit more different
Is it only in the show where they have the best knights? I know for sure it was mentioned in the show before they wrekt Ramsay, but I can remember if it was mentioned in the books.

Though a large cavalry force for an area like the vale doesn't make a lot of sense to me like you said.

Aligning by house was a mistake, they should align units by the King they follow.

>the vast open plains of westeros wouldn't make sense for a cavalry faction
>however, the region made of mountains and valleys makes perfect sense for horse spam

It seems to me that the Reach would have far more cavalry, but they are more used to tourneys than warfare; probably devastating on the charge but with lower morale for protracted melees and not used to the flexibility of warfare.

The Vale would have less knights, but ones well accustomed to fighting clansmen in treacherous terrain.

In a World of Ice and Fire, it is claimed that chivalry was born in the Reach.

>It was in these green fields that
chivalry was born, history tells us; the gallant
knights and fair maids of the Reach are
celebrated throughout the Seven Kingdoms by
the singers,

So rereading FFC and DWD, it seemed like Dorne was cultivating alliances with the eastern Free Cities for quite a long time. Do you guys think Norvos and Tyrosh would answer the call to help Daenerys conquer Westeros?

First of all, Tyrosh is a slaving city. Second, Dorne is not going to support Dany, they will support Aegon.

All but Braavos are slave cities. But aside from Volantis none of them sent soldiers to try and kill Daenerys. And Tyrosh and Norvos are closely tied to House Martell, or were for quite a long while during the time of the secret pact between Dorne and Viserys.

Also,
>Implying Aegon VI won't be executed by Daenerys for being a rebel

He will be, of course, but not before she sacks Sunspear. There is no version of the war, where Dorne gets out unscathed.