Examples of good depictions of elves?

What is it about Tolkien elves that makes them so lame? What are good depictions of elves, and what qualities do they have in common?

>What is it about Tolkien elves that makes them so lame?
Your tremendous faggotry.

All good depictions of elves have cow tits.

>Tolkien elves
>lame

I'm sorry, fucking what? Read the fuckin' Simarillion and come back to me on this.

This. Tolkien elves just seem lame since they shine a flashlight into the camera and oversaturate it everytime an elf is on the screen. Thranduil was one of the only good screen-time guys showing how complex elves are in Tolkiens world. Remember that the Books are meant to showcase PTSD from his wartime.

maybe you should actually learn something about Tolkien elves that you didn't see in the movies.

But Dumner are pretty solid as elves.
The only thing I can think of for good depictions of elves, is to go really old school changling type, or go with the TES approach for Dumner, and model them after a culture that doesn't typically get the spotlight in fantasy.
It'd honestly be easier to have a thread about what traits the worst elves have in common.

Personally, the elves from Eragon are probably the least likeable depiction I've ever seen.

The best elf is a dead one.

LoL Noob. You have not read the Silmarillion, have you?

What do they all have in common? They're based at least a little bit on Tolkien's in-depth re imagining of the concept of an elf.

>bunch of greedy, revenge obsessed, kinslaying, warmongering, outdwarfing the dwarfs, grade A pointy eared cunts
>lame

OP i dont think youve read tolkien
dont confuse some shit d&d settings elves or some peter jackson hobbit wankery as if it wasnt written purely for cashmoney

The fact that everyone has tried to copy them and mostly failed in that regard. I love chocolate, don't get me wrong, but have you ever eaten a really big bucket of chocolate ice cream? You just get sick of the taste after a while.

On the other hand, I'll never get sick of Marcille's FAT ELF EARS.

I suppose viewing them only as a fading race whose depth is merely hinted at during the movie you watched.

>What are good depictions of elves?
Tolkien's writing is a good place to start.
Also folklore, though they tend to be fairies.

>what qualities do they have in common?
The common qualities of good depictions of anything is that they are well thought out.
I'd wager that Veeky Forums could generate, and probably at some point has, great depictions of the Keebler elves, as well as Snap, Crackle, and Pop, giving them rich lore and an immersive depth of character to their race.

ur a dummy op.

This is now a Tolkien-verse awesome elf thread.

Tolkien elves aren't lame at all. I would advise rereading the Silmarillion to refresh your memory.

They're lame because they're just people, and they make sense to us.

Remember how the Elves built a flying ship a la Eberron's elemental ships and kicked a dragon's ass with it?

All you need to do is make them into Southern Slavs...

Fingolfin best elf

Not all good depcitions of elves have cow tits, but all depictions of elves with cow tits are good.

Thranduil was better

fight me

>480x360
>letterboxing
Ah, I see you're not a man of culture at all.

THINGOL

The way I always understood elves as being lame was because they are supposedly a good race that is just a little bit better than all the other races. Tolkien created elves around the idea of them being a race of immortal being with a culture and land beyond what mortals could imagine - I find them boring because they are a bunch of aloof aristocrats which don't do anything without it looking oh so graceful and elegant who you are still supposed to root for despite how deeply they look down on other races. However, he based them off a type of elf that came well before depictions of childlike sprites that helped cobbler - creatures who were not only from a realm beyond man, but who acted like it - the story Tam Lin had Eldritch horror centuries before Lovecraft was even born. If you are looking for elves that are completely alien creatures with a superiority complex and cruelty to match, look at the game Changeling the Lost - it does a really good job of setting up a world where fae creatures are demented sadists, whose very existence is an affront to reality. I think its refreshing having creatures with a more epic cosmic backstory than just being essentially another standard race but jerks.

>I think its refreshing having creatures with a more epic cosmic backstory than just being essentially another standard race but jerks.
Have you read anything at all about Tolkien's elves?

Hahahah no. But I am familiar with "Tolkeinesque" elves and that's what I'm trying to substitute with a race of Chaos demigods. If you wanna break out the Silmarillion go ahead as long as they break up the monotony of "tall aloof humans"

Tolkien-esque elves have the odd tendency of not being very much like tolkien elves. It's like the people who made them really liked tolkien elves but didn't understand why tolkien elves were interesting, so they made shallow replicas with none of the cool stuff.

>tolkien fanboys are unironically advocating sticky pile of mess that is Silmarillion
And this is why your opinion is shit.

Take your favorite thing. Food, television, film, art, music. The best always have imitators. Imagine judging your favorite thing in the entire world by the pale imitations made of it.
That is you.

Have you actually read Tolkien?

>Hahahah no.

Then kindly shut up.

Eldar from 40k

Imagine trying to under stand whether you were saying I was merely a pale imitation or were saying that I come close to the best thing in the world. That is your comment.
Never said I was kind and never heard there were qualifications for Veeky Forums.

Awww dang it misposted your post to this one . was meant to get that. But yeah honestly I like the Eldar, particularly the Dark Eldar. I think Craftworld is good at reimagining the Dying Race Narrative as being all the Eldar's fault, and DEldar nicely reimagine the idea of Dark Elves in fantasy. They're definitely influenced by the cruel fae trope but I don't think they started there

What an excuse of lazy comic. What some detestable characters.
I would never understand what people like about it besides being circlejerks for the fuck of it.

>Thranduil
>better than anything

His only remarkable feature is being amost as much of a petty and greedy asshole as the fucking dwarves.

>mess
fair, but there are the good bits

You have to be 18 or older to post here. That's like, the first one.

Tuatha De Danann

wait
i hope you've miswritten feanor, if not youre a fag.

now this is a good bait

>I would never understand what people like about it
It's simple generic fantasy dungeon-delving adventure done straight with very troperific group of archetypical adventurers served in a mix of drama and comedy and with a side of weird, wild and silly cooking themes and ideas.
It's nothing great but I can absolutely understand the appeal and I think so can you - even if you don't feel it.

Did you ever consider looking a Norse mythology? That is after all where the idea of dark elves and high elves came from, and they are rather different from your standard depictions as well.

Best elf comin' through.

True best elf coming through

>Also folklore, though they tend to be fairies.
Same thing. Elves, fairies, brownies, redcaps, gnomes, dwarves, just regional variants of the same idea. There's something about little people living in the hills, caves and mountains in Europe, they're everywhere. Regional variants will have their own flavour, but they all share the same core aspects, and share exceedingly similar roles. Spooky as fuck, really.

>high elves
Wrong.

>Maedhros did deeds of surpassing valour, and the Orcs fled before his face; for since his torment upon Thangorodrim his spirit burned like a white fire within, and he was as one that returns from the dead.

When people think Tolkien elves are boring because they've only seen the movies.

Tolkien elves aren't lame, though they're rather tied to a specific setting and their suitability as PCs has some limitations. What's lame is some of the common interpretations of badly rendered copies of badly rendered copies of copies of copies of Tolkien elves.