/osr/ - Old School Revival General

Welcome to the Old School Revival/Renaissance General!

>Trove:
pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd (embed)
>Online Tools:
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp (embed)
>Blogosphere:
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L (embed)

Previous thread: Name some essential modules and other books.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_(Germanic_Iron_Age)
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/horrible-peasant-npc-generator.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/osr-1d100-peasant-grievances.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>(embed) (embed)

My bad, it's pretty late here.

You're cheesed about the embed links but not the NORWEGIAN NAZI PROPAGANDA POSTER image in the OP?

Fucking Veeky Forums, seriously.

>NORWEGIAN NAZI PROPAGANDA POSTER
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_(Germanic_Iron_Age)
Educate yourself.

>but not the NORWEGIAN NAZI PROPAGANDA POSTER image in the OP?
Not in the least. It's actually pretty neat, and I'm not some white power guy either
>Fucking Veeky Forums, seriously.
Calm your tits

Druids are based on Pagans. It's Druid inspo. No need to be triggered.

Didn't look very closely at the pic, did you?

Oh shut the fuck up.
>WW2 Norwegian poster for the 11th SS "Nordland" division, featuring the classic motto ""Our Honor Is Loyalty"

Yeah, clearly, that's got NOTHING TO DO WITH NAZI PROPAGANDA. My bad. It must have been an etching from a fucking iron age comb you found.

I just googled "pagan symbol" mate. Calm yourself.

>Name some essential modules and other books.
ad&d 1e monster manual
if you want some extras get theorems and thaumaturgy and the bfrpg field guide thing

>the obvious SS shield
But the more serious issue, of course, is leaving out the G in /osrg/. That's what makes you worse than Hitler.

See, that claim is very, very easy to disprove. I can't find that image at all just by googling "pagan symbol"

So there are 2 options:
1. either google has customized your search preferences to return Nazi propaganda very frequently
2. you are lying.

I roll to disbelieve.

The Schutzstaffel predates the Nazi party. Are you done having your little tantrum?

>itt: /leftypol/ whines about ancient symbol of thor when druids and barbarians are based on pagans

>Name some essential modules and other books.
My top ten for good shit you should read if you like OSR:
OD&D (I'm counting this as one product, the booklets are tiny)
Wilderlands of High Fantasy
City-State of the Invincible Overlord
AD&D 1E PHB, DMG, MM (each of these is indispensable in its own way even though frankly I'd never run as-written AD&D)
Ready Ref Sheets
Carcosa
Yoon-Suin
X1 Isle of Dread

errr.... it does have an SS symbol at the bottom of the pic and nazis marching around on the right side..... so.... kinda doubting this (picture in particular) pre-dated the Nazi party.

To be completely fair, I generally whine whenever someone tries to insert real-world religious iconography in a fantasy setting.

If druids and barbarians are rocking swastikas, are clerics all wearing yarmulkes and emblazoning the paladins' shields with the Star of David?

Thanks for the list mate. What rulebooks are your go-to (if you have any)?
>To be completely fair, I generally whine whenever someone tries to insert real-world religious iconography in a fantasy setting.
Pretty sure there's crosses in the AD&D rulebook mate.
>If druids and barbarians are rocking swastikas, are clerics all wearing yarmulkes and emblazoning the paladins' shields with the Star of David?
No, they're wearing crosses, as per the fucking rules. Please quit whining now.

Oh, I get it. I think this is the first time I've seen a thread started by a troll, but it's a ballsy move. I have to admit that. Clever of you to include the regular OP as well so we'd be taken in, but fucking it up a tiny bit so we would still be annoyed. That's craftsmanship. I ain't even mad.

How did I fuck it up other than the (embed) thing? The last thread was /osr/ too (instead of /osrg/). It's just a cool looking image I found and I thought it fit the setting since clerics wear crosses anyway. It calls to the roots of druidism. I saved it a while ago as art inspo for drawing. No offense intended.

Then show me where in the AD&D rulebook the swastikas are. Otherwise, we have to take this as someone's homebrew, in which case Christian iconography may not be the default.

>What rulebooks are your go-to (if you have any)?
Personally, OD&D and Rules Cyclopedia. If I were more interested in having a minimal Basic it would be B/X instead of the RC. But from a bird's eye perspective both BECMI and B/X are far less essential reading than O- and AD&D.

Druids aren't even in AD&D, are they? Besides, who said the thread has to pertain to Forgotten Realms stuff? Maybe in my setting, the clerics wear crosses (like in FG) and the druids sometimes wear pagan symbols (like the one in the OP). What's wrong with that?
By OD&D You mean B/X right? Or the actual original rulebook? If the latter, what do you prefer about it vs. B/X?

I was referring to the (embed) thing, and frankly, it's extremely hard to believe you're not a troll after
>The Schutzstaffel predates the Nazi party.
On the off chance that you're serious, I don't even know where to begin with that shit, so I'll leave it to somebody else.

My bad, just remembered Druids are in fact in AD&D. I have the PH sitting right next to me too. Don't know how I forgot.
I'm no history buff but I was under the impression it was technically separate from Nazism. Why does it matter anyway? It's just an image. We're just clogging up the thread at this point.

See y'all in the next thread.

good riddance

>By OD&D You mean B/X right?
No, by OD&D I mean the three Little Brown Books from 1974. I don't think you can really meaningfully compare it against B/X, which is a very different work for a fairly different audience, but what personally I like about it is a lot of shit: the compactness, the vagueness that ends up being mostly fruitful void, the detail on specific things, certain differences from the rules that later became standard, the strong sense of everything being written more-or-less in situ to solve some problem that actually came up at a guy's table, in play... there's a lot of shit.

As for why it's objectively essential reading, I feel like that's kind of obvious. It's the wellspring of the entire hobby and it still contains that bottled lightning, besides being very illuminating about some things that might have ended up seeming quirky or weird later.

Thanks for the info man. Very well written too.

Alright so now that the trolls have apparently left, does anyone have anything like this?
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/horrible-peasant-npc-generator.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/osr-1d100-peasant-grievances.html
They seem really helpful. One for wildlife encounters would be great too, and maybe one for non-peasant people like more middle-class commoners.

My pleasure, user. I should warn you for completeness just so it doesn't end up shocking you if you have a look, though: at times it will read like *absolute horseshit* until you invest some effort in making sense of it. Likewise, you have to *want* to adjudicate a lot of things on their own, things like "what actual effects does Slow Spell even have?". (The spell just says, and this is literally the entire spell description, "A broad-area spell which affects up to 24 creatures in a maximum area of 6" x 12". Duration: 3 turns. Range: 24".")

Wow talk about minimalist haha. Sounds cool though for sure, even if just for reading. I'll definitely check it out when I get a chance.

From last thread; a little prototype game I'm cooking up. Changed how stunts work and added in new promotion mechanics.

Anyone know if a combined PDF of BFRPG has been made? Like with all the extra rules and classes? I don't mind trying my hand at it if nobody's done it yet

Looks cool! Will check it out when I finish reading.

also wondering this. would be great to have the extra rules in a physical version

Looks interesting. How long are you thinking it'll end up?

I only maybe want to add extra ways to gain bonus XP, negotiation rules, and more interesting promotion mechanics. I don't want to extend it much longer, but I'm very perfectionist when it comes to the layout which is why I want each section to be contained to both its page and column. It can be hard to push things around for that reason once I complete a rough draft.

Sounds good mate. Good luck on the project. Be sure to post updates here, always cool to see stuff that's unique.

Like it or not, swastikas are strongly associated with the Nazi party, so you have to be really careful about using them. Grabbing an image with an SS shield does not qualify as being careful at all. Maybe it was just an honest mistake, but with white nationalism on the rise, I'd really like to avoid normalizing Nazi shit. I'm not normally a super-touchy guy, but an opening pic glorifying the Third Reich is, I think, in bad taste.

Honestly I just thought it was a cool image and relevant to the subject (druids and barbarians). I had it in my pictures folder for art inspo and I saved it a while ago while researching pagan symbolism (which, interestingly enough, is also something Tolkien drew inspiration from).
I recommend everybody to research paganism at least a little bit for OSR purposes. Some very cool lore in there like elves, gods and sorcery and whatnot.

>itt: /leftypol/ whines about ancient symbol of thor when druids and barbarians are based on pagans
Nazis have ruined swastikas. But you'd have a much better argument if it weren't for the SS symbol and the soldiers marching on the right.

The way I interpenetrated the soldiers wasn't anything to do with Nazis. They don't have any visible Nazi memorabilia on so I just saw it as the image showing Germanic culture from ancient times until today-- specifically "warriors", because it shows both vikings and modern soldiers. Ancestry is a big theme in paganism. It pays to look past the surface of things, especially art.

>but with white nationalism on the rise

Kill yourself.

Keep /pol/ in /pol/

Stop shitposting.

>soldiers in nazi uniforms marching
>SS emblem at the bottom
>it's a fuckin' swastika, and you didn't even stop for half a second to consider that it might have something to do with Nazis

You might be retarded, user.

You're just fucking wrong

Obviously you haven't actually read the thread or you wouldn't say something so stupid.
Even Buddhists use swastikas. Are Buddhists Nazis now? How do you know those are Nazi uniforms? Why do you even care anyway?

You going to back up this claim or no...?

real thread here

If you don't want shit like white nationalism to get brought up, maybe don't post Nazi iconography.

He didn't post Nazi iconography. Neither did I (OP). It's a pagan symbol. It'd be like if an islamic person came in here whining because somebody posted a picture of a B/X cleric with a cross on his chest.

Sounds dope tbqh

>with white nationalism on the rise,

Good.

It's a propaganda poster for the 11th Nordland SS division. Swastikas *in general* aren't inextricably tied with Nazis, but *this particular image* very definitely is.

I wasn't aware of this. Check this post: . Are we going to discuss OSR or...?

Given the shit in the pic, I'd argue that's it's more like if a black person complained because somebody opened a thread with a pic of a burning cross and some guys in KKK hoods.

Swastika may be a pagan symbol, but SS logo sure as fuck isn't.

SS predates the Nazi party mate.

this tbqhwyf