Which game has the most toxic fanbase?

Which game has the most toxic fanbase?

The kind of players that you dread having to have a rules discussion with?

Furries... aka 3.pf players

it's not the fabases, it's the dedicated mongers. Every system has them. And they're fucking terrible.

I put my money in DnD, any edition. There was a thread a few days ago where they were claiming that their precious game was so amazing that it would be easier to convert 5e to a sci fi setting than run literally any already existing sci fi game.

Probably dungeons and dragons. Specifically edition specific die hards.

Toxicity in general? World of Darkness, easy. Rules discussion specifically? Probably any DnD but especially 3.5/PF I guess.

I saw it, definitely happened. Pretty sure it was just a troll, though, not an actual belief.

3.PF, hands down.

Just Veeky Forums in general

Considering how far up their own asses they are and the way they screech autistically whenever 3.5/PF is mentioned, I'm going with 5e D&D.

3.pf because they've been trained to be pedantic rules lawyers and munchkins to protect their bloated novella-length character sheets rather than attempt creativity or trust a gm over a 3rd party errata'd SRD

bad thread tho

I blame it less on players and more on paizo's terrible diction on these things, it's as if they consoder rules debates a part of the experience.

I fear it's training my group to hate fun

FPBP

/thread

Seconding this.

Although even the highest RPG community toxicity doesn't even compare to League of Legends.

I had some good conversations, with them, but overall 90% of the 3.PF fanbase is rotten.

most toxic fanbase? warhammer 40k

it has a tendency to attract neckbeard fascists for whatever reason

DnD, any edition, and any game derived from DnD (Pathfinder).

>Player: I want to do a thing!
>DM: Well, here's a million ways the rules say you can't do this simple thing that you should obviously be able to do, and 2 million ways more if we wana get technical and rules-lawyery about it.

Fucking hell, I've had more fun in shitty freeform anime games than in anything based off DnD. 300+ page rulebook needed for basic fucking RP'ing, no thanks.

I feel the younger generation miniature wargamers comes in to mind.
Its a bit unfair to compare them to the old guys, when it was basically just historical or GW back in the days.
Today its all about being the biggest of fanboys though. Annoying as fuck if you ask me, because its hard to argue a autistic kids that can't see any other perspective than "I hate every company besides my special snowflake..."

If your DM doesn't follow the rules as a guideline and tries to be strict about them, them he is shit.

>Veeky Forums in either event.
You can't tolerate what the hive-mind deems badwrongthink on the board

dunno about rules but man discussing lore with 40k dudes is like fucking a fleshlight made of sandpaper

For a long time that was the case, but at my LGS, it seemed like the most toxic gravitated towards Warmahordes, while the players who stuck to 40K were generally cool dudes.

...but I know that WMH's popularity was starting to decline back in '13. Not sure how it's faring now, but if it's been losing popularity, I'm sure the toxic ones would be jumping ship back to 40K, if only to find more players who haven't outright refused to put up with their shit.

>Which game has the most toxic fanbase?
The rage-gawking game. They'll give you dozens of insane "alternative" answers in order to force their obnoxious game into the conversation, because that's what they do, which is why they're the only real answer.

Easily /hwg/

In my experience, Magic the Gathering.

>Assaulting people for disagreeing with them
>Smoking in public
>Terrible hygiene
>Steals peoples' cards for other games to "save them from the mistake of playing a baby game"
>Takes credit for good things other people do
>Literally cheat the system by signing up people that don't exist to inflate store numbers for WotC
>Try to run stores out of business that don't even carry MtG, because they carry a game that isn't MtG, and that's heresy

not a specific group in general but I'm always appalled at the amount of card theft I hear about with the various TCG's.

I understand it's a bit harder to steal shit from Wargames and tabletop games but it's such an astronomically high amount of cases that it can't possibly be entirely coincidence.

Aside from that, tourney players.

I'm not talking competitive players, or even people who like really cutthroat games, I'm talking about people who treat tournament play like it's a job. The kind of player where literally every goddamn game is a "practice game." It's their hobby, they can do what they want, they're just really annoying to play against in my experience because a lot will want you to use whatever weird packet and missions they're playing with 6 months from now and some will get pouty if you dont bring a typical netlist that they think they'll see.

I remember being a Guard player back in 5th and guys would always want to play against me so they could test against leafblower, only to find out that I ran nothing but platoons and leman russes. Those were fun times.

>>Steals peoples' cards for other games to "save them from the mistake of playing a baby game"
>>Try to run stores out of business that don't even carry MtG, because they carry a game that isn't MtG, and that's heresy
what

Storytime?

>Up until this year, at one of the LGSes in town, any time a tournament for a non-Magic card game was going on, Magic players would show up to "watch"
>They'd hover uncomfortably close to the people playing, breathing down their necks, and feigning interest in the game while insulting it with everything they say
>If they players weren't paying attention, or were focused on their game, they'd snatch up some of their cards
>This kept going for a while
>They got more bold
>A couple of guys were playing Yugioh
>A 30-something year old Magic player ran up, mocked them for playing a "baby" game, and grabbed one of the players' decks
>Thought that since the store worker at the counter liked Magic, he'd help out
>Threw the guy's YGO deck at the employee
>Haven't seen that Magic player since
>Haven't heard anything about cards being stolen in the area anymore since
>Employee started to lose interest in MtG and pick up a little interest in YGO afterwards

And the second one, I have two examples for, which I'll post in a reply to this

>For years, there were two LGSes in town
>Store 1 is a very relaxed place with a slight focus on TCGs, a slight focus on miniatures games, and a heavy focus on board games
>Store 2 is a highly competitive place with a focus entirely on TCGs and fightan vidya
>Both had active MtG communities that were major contributors to their income - there was a group of a few guys who'd buy a box or two each of every set, no matter how bad, and a case of a good set
>One long-time employee at Store 1 was a Magic-loving grongard
>He practically worshipped MaRo, said there was no bad Magic set, and was one of those always-buying-a-box guys
>Except, he'd never buy from the store, even with his employee discount
>They carried other card games, and he frequently expressed dissent about it
>This year, he opened a store of his own
>A "safe space for Magic"
>No other card games allowed
>Between spreading rumors about other games' players and offering daily Magic tournaments with slightly cheaper entry fees, he drew in 90% of both Store 1 and Store 2's Magic players
>But that wasn't enough
>There are still stores that do non-Magic
>His regulars have been going around, trying to put people off of other games
>A rumor has started that most of the YGO players in town are sex offenders
>A lot of Magic players buy it, and have started going to Store 3
>A rumor has started that most of the Pokemon players are thieves
>A lot of Magic players buy it, and have started going to Store 3
>And so on
>Store 2 is on the way to closing
>Store 1 is staying afloat thanks to me getting a few more people into Warhammer, and a surge of new college students picking up board games
>Store 3's owner is still mad, because Store 1 carries YGO, Pokemon, and FoW, and he can't stand that

Second example coming in another post

>Another town, this one also has 2 LGSes
>A large, high-budget LGS, and a small mom-and-pop shop
>High-budget LGS has outright banned non-MtG card games, and mom-and-pop shop stays afloat by being the most active FoW community for miles
>High-budget store, despite not allowing non-MtG games to be played, sends people in to check the prices at the smaller store and purchases the exact same product, charging less on everything, and sending people over to advertise
>They pride themselves on that
>The FoW community at the small store raised a few thousand dollars in charity money
>The larger store claims that it was their Magic community, and that the small store can't even afford rent
>Any time they find someone particularly cancerous, though, they advertise the other store, and outright tell people that they want to sabotage it
>They claim to be the only gaming community in the area
>Despite dozens of stores within an hour away

>and then the whole image board stood up and clapped

Feel free not to believe it. I know most people on here won't. It just felt good to vent.

>autistic obsession
>compulsion to make everything 40k-related
>rages whenever someone tries to change the topic

Had a friend that became that way. No idea where he's at now.

ebin reddit meme rite xdd

get out you fucking fag

Shadowrunfags.
The people that like the setting are obnoxious to the point that they don't ever bother to hide the fact that they are using the plot to bitch out about their miserable life, to the boredom of the rest of the people in the house or shop.
They also have audacity to believe that their sob story is unique and original in any sense, ignoring everyone.

>The kind of players that you dread having to have a rules discussion with?
Gun or katanafags.
Both are the same horse turd, with only slight difference of the origin of the shitter.
Instant red flag that tell everyone not to waste more time interacting with such a person.

Exalted. Exalted threads are a cesspool of toxicity and stale arguments that everyone's had a million times before. If you play Exalted, you know the twelve standard arguments by heart already and can quote them at will, and yet they keep happening. People get really fucking autistic about their pseudo-anime demigod games.

Might be that a lot of the Fascists see Fascist themes either ignoring, nor noticing or not caring that it's satire.

Because autists don't get the irony in 40k and think of the Imperium as heroic.

DnD. Worst fanbase ever. Powergamers and people so obsessed with the ruleset that they rather convert other game settings to use the dnd rules.

Infinity

>fatty
>ever being that cute
Only in fantasies

In my experience it's been pathfinder, not even because of the game itself but because of the way the cryptic diction of rules encourages system mastern over fluid use of it as guidelines, players bitch any time the GM fists something because it means "fuck our choices"

I wish we'd learned another system, I want to give 5e a chance but everyone already knows PF and doesn't want it to have been a waste

Sargon is a classical liberal centrist. He is opposed to far left and far right authoritarian collectivist extremist fascists.

pathfinder and world of darkness seem to have the worst communities here, followed by 40k.
as for real life, i can't say because the people i game with are pretty much fine

To be fair, 40k has stolen ideas from everyone, so everything else just kinda slots in nicely into the Plagiarism 40000.

>using the plot to bitch out about life
Dude, if you have a retail horror story and want to turn that into running a heist on a distributor, I would be 100% down to play that shit. Sounds cathartic as fuck.

Magic, but if we're talking about "do not EVER discuss rules with this fanbase" it's a tossup between any White Wolf game and 3.5. Sometimes you get reasonable people who know what they're talking about... and then the rest of the time you get utterly retarded "ROLEPLAY NOT ROLLPLAY" fuckheads who will immediately start shitposting the second the game's mechanics are talked about. While usually spouting dumbass bullshit like "MONKS ARE OVERPOWERED SO I BANNED THEM" or "CODZILLA DOESN'T EXIST IT IS A DEBUNKED MEME"

Fat girls are always drawn with smoothe bellies, no stretch marks, thin faces and arms, and look like they probably don't smell despite the fact that they probably can't wipe well with their reach.

People who like something obnoxiously are the worst

It's like how browsing Veeky Forums is a non-issue, but telling people you like Veeky Forums is.

Other than that the people I've had the most issues with are those who like the popular generic cartoons(adventure time, SU, rick and morty, etc) simply because 1. They obnoxiously like those things and 2. Those story structures really don't work for ttrpg's

Gamewise it's d&d 5e

For rles, 3.f, for fluff, Exalted.

Sargon is a fucking twat that doesn't even know where he himself stands.

He described himself as "liberal left" yet supported Brexit and Trump.

Fate.

>The kind of players that you dread having to have a rules discussion with?
Pathfinder.

>Claims to be left, votes right.

It's almost like he's a centrist

>The most toxic fanbase
Around my FLGS? Magic. Hands down.
>At any given tournament SOMEONE's cards will be stolen
>The single worst smelling group, even beating out the D&D, 40k, Shadowrun, and Anima players
>Argue heatedly with the judges during tournaments
>Actively deride other card games, loudly, including swearing within earshot of children playing Pokemon.
>God forbid you mention the stack, they will chew your ear off about how it's properly done, then get in an argument with one another when they reach a certain point.
My solace is riffle shuffling a set of poker cards during the tourneys, just to watch them flinch, and see how many turn to look.

>The kind you dread having a rules discussion with
Wargamers in general, only because some of them only half-read what their models actually DO, and then bitch you out when you point out a word or two they missed, changing the purpose of the model entirely.
Those types are also usually the ones who bring what they think is a winning list to a tournament, get surprised when they lose hard first round because the actual rules make that list bad, and just pack up and go home in a huff, throwing the tournament out of whack.

I can't ever remember a rules dispute in it, but the old Middle Earth CCG, the one with pic related cards, was the worst tournament scene I've ever been to in my life. Just incredibly poor sportsmanship that was the norm, not the exception.

From way back, a tournament I went to.

>Guy I'm up against plays this really exotic, snowstorm based deck, the sort that has a real killer combo and is worthless if he can't put it together.
>Lose game to him, he got his combo together, me unwittingly aiding him setting up the environment.
>Starts crowing immensely about how stupid I am for not magically foreseeing what kind of deck he'd run, especially when it's a very uncommon one.
>Kind of pissed.
>Warn the next guy he's set to play what kind of deck he runs.
>Guy #2 scoffs and says it won't matter, because he's not a loser like I must obviously be.

League of Legends has NOTHING on heroes of the storm levels of toxicity.

This.

Well, did snowflake lose the next game or what?

underrated

>didnt refer to herself as DM
she's a-okay

Lol communism technophilic, they literally starved their people because the science didn't go with the ideology.

Heroes of Newerth
Git Gud

The main faction is a hellhole fascist theocratic empire, and they're sold as the heroes. I imagine that attracts the occasional undesirable.

In fairness, how long has it been since 40k was satire? Rogue Trader? Look at 8th, it's essentially dark/heroic fantasy in space.

I'm not sure.

In my mind it's a toss up between 40k "fans" who don't actually play 40k, and D&D fans who insist on the use of whatever specific edition of D&D or pathfinder they're all about who will expound at length about how you should totally use that system for every type of game.

I think the former is winning.

The Imperium of Man is not fascist, it is feudalistic and oligarchic.

I'm hearing a lot of the idea that the worst kinds of fans are the autistic screechers in any group. I'd agree with this. However I'd state PF players are the largest group of people who refused to change on principle ive met

At the same time 5e attracts a LOT of normies, who do harmless but irritating shit like constantly shitpost attention/karma whore stories on leddit and Facebook. The number of 'my Bard seduces the dragon xDDDD" and "hey look at this Mini I painted or art I drew pls give likes" pisses me off. There's also the retards everyone mentions who think that 5e can be used for anything I saw one retard unironically say it could be used for Warhammer Fantasy RP

I say this as an avid player.

It still had some when Chambers was Overlord, although a lot less.

Magic, and there's a clear reason why. Other tabletop games require more of a social contract between the players. You have to be invited to a D&D group or a board game night. With tabletop wargames you have to agree to a scenario and a rule set. Magic has no equivalent filter to keep shitty players out. Unless you get banned from the store or arrested, you can play Magic, and there's a lot of bad behavior you can get away with that falls short of those.

>a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.
It has most the hallmarks and iconography. It's not structured typically for fascism, but it's attitudes and methods are both very fascist. It's quite deliberately a satire of fascism as an ethos more than as a structure.

>responding to a 3 hour old post with s fetish picture to let everyone know you're triggered

This, MtG players at both the stores in my area have become synonymous with "theives who don't shower." It's shame the stores can't afford to lose them, the community would be so much better if they were purged from it.

Odd my heroes experiences have been rather comfy compared to league or dota

The thing is that the imperium isn't a good faction but has many good people within it, making the faction the closest to a good faction and thus by default many consider it the good faction

Even while we have eldar, and tau and necrons and the thousand sons

Not sure, didn't pay attention.

>thieves who don't shower
How are people stealing shit and at least not ending up in handcuffs or at worst, getting their asses beaten by some guy and his friends for stealing their shit?

>Why can't a hobby filled with many of the socially inept not stand up for itself
I agree these guys should get beat. I'd help. But there's a lot of tabletop dorks who wont stand up for themselves unfortunately

I'd like to know if OP genuinely thought there was a legit answer beyond D&D

DnD only seems the worst because it's the most popular

The DnD community sticks out as bunch of elitist snobs that hate every other system (despite only ever having played dnd), or a bunch of comic-con-going will-wheaton-watching snorg-tee-wearing "nerds"

> 'Faux nerds'
Oh the horror.

Everyone knows that the interex are ye good guys.

They've all got their share of sperglords but I'd definitely say 40k has the most of them, if most likely because it's the largest. I quite enjoy 40k too but good lord if a whole third of the fanbase doesn't make it difficult sometimes.

why's green left

D&D 5e . It's brought in a lot of new players who will argue up and down that it's the best edition when thats the only edition / Game that they have ever played.

We actually used to do that with Leverage. Knock over CVS, fuck up Walmart corporate, whatever. It made wage slavery a little bit more bearable.

>I don't know what fascism means it's just whatever I don't like

Weiss zchart

My dude, even Jeremy Corbyn voted for Brexit. The Left wanted out of the EU more than the Right did.

He is not joking, I was in that thread.

Fascism is an economic system before anything you imbecile, and the Imperium of Man clearly fails that definition. It's more like feudalism, with individual lords controlling planets.

Fascism is about a merger of state and corporate power, it's essentially Socialism with the trappings of private property still intact, where business/corporate owners retain their positions but are de-facto simply bureaucrats unable to act without sanction from the state. Compare this to the Imperium of Man where the entire private sector is run by a social class of independent traders who can perform commerce literally at will because 2000 years ago someone gave their ancestor a license. It's feudalism, not Fascism.

The fact that they stick eagles and angels and skulls on everything is literally just aesthetics, you might as well say that the Roman Republic was fascist because it had officials who literally carried fascii around. It wasn't. It was a Republic with more or less total freedom of enterprise. Hell, even the existence of the AdMech defies this, because the AdMech isn't fully integrated into the Imperial government, they're their own branch who can (and do) act in defiance of the State.

Mussolini would've shot himself before allowing this to happen.

>it's attitudes and methods are both very fascist
Listen to me, name a single "attitude" or "method" that is common between the IoM and Fascism that isn't also between the IoM and the Soviet Union or Maoist China. You're just describing totalitarian governments as a whole, not any individual system. "Fascism" is a word with an actual definition, no matter what the low-IQ liberal retards who educated you say, and the Imperium literally isn't it.

God I remember when we used to teach this stuff in schools, now people just think "Fascism" means "anything that isn't a faggot riding a dildo on a rainbow towards a brown future of national debt," this is the sort of thing that turns people into /pol/acks.

>Being a "Liberal Leftist" and supporting Hillary Clinton
>Being a "Liberal Leftist" and supporting the EU
If you did either of those things, you aren't actually a Leftist, you're a Neoliberal stooge of a corporate-owned government who voted for expansion of their power instead of for acceleration towards the failure of Capitalism and its inevitable replacement.

Tactical voting for an actual Leftist in 2017 means destroying the Neoliberal establishment, and promoting figures who actually represent your ideas. It also means escaping the clutches of gigantic corporate-owned political entities if you can. Brexit was an absolutely left-wing option, and the only people who disagree are low-information retards who think the EU is the next Comintern when really it's just an excuse for German bankers to run an entire continent as their own private currency manipulation scam.

I don't remember reading anywhere in Das Kapital that the solution to exploitation is to let Brussels run your country. The dialectical answer to the EU is the exact same as the answer to the Third Reich: It must be destroyed.

How is WoD toxic? I thought they're super liberal.

can't believe i used to watch this fucking retard swing the bat at SJW pinatas and think he was in any way intelligent or cared about anything more than money

Aaand the thread devolves into politics. Classic Veeky Forums.