Campaing-based novel writing

So I just started to write the story of my players, in form of a novel. As the campaign is played in Golarion, I'm thinking of changing the towns and places names for a possible future publication.
>It's a good idea? It's feasible and interestingfor a possible reader?
>have you had experience writting before?
>Any writting tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_role-playing_game#Replays
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>It's a good idea? It's feasible and interestingfor a possible reader?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_role-playing_game#Replays

Wasn't Record of Lodoss war basically some guy's DnD sessions?

As for renaming places and characters for publication, you wouldn't be the first one. 50 Shades of Grey started off as a Twilight fanfiction.

It won't make your default writing abilities any better but it definitely does a lot of the work for you.

If you are having fun with your games then go for it.

Interestingly I'm beginning a campaign based on a book I'm writing so I'm interested in what people think about this kind of thing. Intending to run it as a kind of prequel.

I didn't knew about that book, thanks!

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_role-playing_game#Replays
that's interesting. is that a thing in occidental culture? or is only a japanese thing? never read about it before.

FPBP.

But yes OP, it's an entire genre all its own... in Japan.

a couple games i playedin the lotr universe were a kind of precuel of the movies, and then we went full fellowship of the ring mode. shit was fun

The Malazan Book of the Fallen started out as some guys homebrew GURPS campaign, and it was fantastic.

To sell? No idea, but a few guys on here have written novel length stories about the campaign they're in. All guardsmen party comes to mind. I'd say shadowrun story time too but I'm not sure it's quite novel length.

Are you writing about your players and how your campaign went, or are you writing a novel set in the world of your campaign?

>>It's a good idea?
Sure.

It's feasible and interestingfor a possible reader?
Certainly could be.

>>have you had experience writting before?
Yes, but not published, so there's that.

>>Any writting tips?
1. Spellchecker man.
2. Imagine your characters actually in the scenario and figure out if they would do what you intend to write, and if so, why?
3. What is interesting to write isn't necessarily interesting to read; Never infodump.
4. Don't let your original idea, or the actual campaign, dictate how and what you write; It is your story.
5. Find and read the Limyaael/Arin i Asolde rants.

>I'm beginning a campaign based on a book I'm writing so I'm interested in what people think about this kind of thing.
This could be fun, and you certainly will know the material, but make sure you remember the "based on" part.
The PCs are always the main characters.
Your main characters can get ganked or punked, just like any alternate universe storyline.

I'm doing the same, but as a prequel to a game instead.

is the campaign that we have ongoing, but in form of a novel. Putting a little flavour here and there for structure purposes, but based in the campaign completely.
For example, first chapter is the "born" of the bbeg, not the first session.

i have something in mind, for going in chapters:
Chapter 1: introduction to he BBEG
Chapter 2: Main plot
Chapter 3: Background of Character A
Chapter 4: Main plot
Chapter 5: Background of Character B
Chapter 6: Main plot
Chapter 7: Background of Character C
and go on. After the 5 backgrounds habe been explained completelly, Story diverges to the BBEG in between chapters of the heroes.
thanks!

Yeah I run games all the time in my homebrew settings for the books I write. Its nice because it allows you good feel for the world.

If you're good or lucky enough, anything will work. This though is an awful starting point, so hopefully you're real fucking good or lucky.

The fact that you're writing stories based on your campaign already opens up potential issues if any of them decide later on that they want to be more or less involved.
Game stories aren't necessarily, I'd argue rarely good narrative stories due to the differences in the mediums. You want to empower players and give them range, and chances are the narrative you have won't be concise enough to hold much attention.
Golarion being the base setting is a bad sign. It works in games, kitchen sink and all, but any given locale in it is terribly generic in what relevant flavor it's trying to represent. People who read fantasy want some world building, maybe not a lot, and certainly don't dump it, but you're going to have to work to decide what's relevant and what's not as you're going through, knowing that unlike your campaign, the readers won't have the context of your players to reference.

>It's a good idea? It's feasible and interesting for a possible reader?
I have no idea because I come from a biased perspective. The best advice would be to make your characters and world/plot feel more organic and less gamey. Other than that you should have your regular fantasy novel. Just keep in mind the market operates on a heavy serialization format so unless its a short story or within a larger book series you won't get published most likely.
>have you had experience writting before?
its what im writing right now actually. starting on the first book in a series of books based on an old DnD 3.5e campaign me and my friends did back in high school. its been pretty fun so far
>Any writting tips?
same tips i give to everyone who wants to become a writer. characterization, diction, and detail. people care about characters more than plot or setting unfortunately (unless they are autists like most fa/tg/uys) so focus on that. dont completely ignore the other two though. its a balancing act. regardless, work on your mechanical craft, it will make your writing all the better. nail down when you are most creative and what work pattern works best for you. and dont try and overexert yourself though, find a time to write that you like and do what comes naturally.

Could players sue for royalties if you just copy the sessions and try to sell them?
Could what they say and do during the sessions be considered their intellectual property?

Firefly was a Traveler campaign

Depending on the system and the GM's abilities, it's quite possible for your weekly session to have the right kind of narrative pacing and 'tough character decisions' etc for a solid drama.

No, your shitty Adventurers League DM with his premade module and bored players won't, but rpg's are at least partially collaborative storytelling.

Take a look at Fell's Five and tell me that isn't a perfectly crafted and played session each issue. The inter-party banter just perfectly hits the 'yep, that's a PC' nail on the head.