EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Nobody Expects the Old Mechanic" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Horrible place with primers, access at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: C17 is out today! What did you get and have you gotten a chance to experience it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-wonder-twins-1/
magiccards.info/query?q=t:"Monk" c!wur&s=cname&v=card
youtube.com/watch?v=cu7AbXIh4hY
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/riku-rug-goodstuff-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Wizards

Second for vampires

Third for allies.

>Want to build a really thematic Ramos deck
>Everyone I know is using him for Animar bullshit or Simic fatties

why am i surrounded by boring people

fourth for rebels

First for Eminence before it was cool.

I wonder what Bolas' farts smell like.

Probably like shit what did you think

Magic and misery.

Which deck has the most value?

Go away, Bontu.

Elder Dragons don't poop, they're above such things, they teleport their waste from their stomachs into the plane of elemental fire.

Played a game at my lgs last night with each of the precons and I gotta say, it was the most fun I've had playing a commander game in a very long time. All the decks feel very balanced with each other and play well out of the box. The problem now us deciding what decks to upgrade

Not sure if I should get one or not. Wizards with upgrades seems like fun, but I'm not sure which commander I'd use, and I want to try something outside of Grixis colors (which is very unusual for me).

What do you think of Sheldon? Is he the hero this format needs?

I forget he exists most of the time.

Teferis Protection, float mana, anything that lets me pay life to do damage; GG?

If your life total can't change you can't pay life.

Ya I looked that up afterword; it is a reversal on a 2004 rulling.

And I wish he didn't, because he is terrible at running EDH.

Tef's Protection, float mana, symmetrical damage/loss of life works though. But really you might as well go with Angel's Grace if you're looking for a white card that lets you do something normally suicidal to take everyone else down.

How is he terrible?

Post fair cards.

>got Ur Dragon deck
>it's okay
I'll be heavily modifying it, but the potential is there

I still miss that thing.

Do cards from Conspiracy work well in standard EDH?

I've never done a group politics deck before, and I was wondering how Leovold would do as a Commander.

I don't miss it being cloned and passed around like a cheap whore.

Leovold does so well as a commander he got banned, so don't do that unless your group is cool with it.

I theorycrafted a list with three goals: #1 charm tribal #2 smacking people with huge Ramos and #3 Mayael's Aria. It looks fun but glass-cannon af.

Man that thing makes some games extremely miserable for players without UG in their decks.

Sylvan Prime makes games miserable for anyone at the table who can't abuse it, I remember doing baby shit like Conjurer's Closeting it and just running away with the game from that point onwards.

Fortunately my group was new enough that wasn't ever a problem I had to deal with, but yeah, that's a good way to turn a decent game into a shitshow real quick.

I got to Walmart and they had two copies of each deck. So I bought one of each.

Jesus Christ.

At MSRP?

Duplicates of Hammer, Axe, and Memes Collector

Walmart always sells Commander decks at MSRP.

my brother of African american ancestry

Yeah. I was going to just by wizards because I thought it would be the quickest selling, but I figured I was going to buy all eventually.

What are the best monks for monk tribal?

there aren't many, don't hold your breathe. also just search for monks on gatherer

R8 my zombies deck, feel free to crush my dreams.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-wonder-twins-1/

Reliquary Monk for some Disenchant action. Keep in mind that some clerics have gained monk as a type too. This guy is a monk now and he's unblockable.

What a qt snek

As C17 is out, shouldn't the rules update also be out?

Or was that released earlier, and I missed it?

>been testing out a balan voltron deck on xmage
>put it together just for funsies but i actually really like the deck

bloodforged battle-axe is fucking absurd with balan's double strike+ second ability. deal damage with the axes in the first strike damage, get tokens, use his ability to attach then get more. I had something like 16 on him at one point. good times

Please tell me that I'm not the only one who keeps seeing Balans head as a pumpkin on first glance.

>What did you get and have you gotten a chance to experience it?

Thew dragons into a big order because the seller had it for below 30 Euro. Didn't get a chance to play anything today though.

>Put in unpaid overtime because it's more convenient than to wait till FNM starts or get home and back
>FNM location is closed down
>Staff at store doesn't know about anyting
>Online only lists locale for September

Fuck me for not showing up for a month I guess.

Mirror Entity. But seriously, it's not like you have much choice:
magiccards.info/query?q=t:"Monk" c!wur&s=cname&v=card

holy shit, you're right
i play without images b/c my laptop sucks but i see what you mean
not as bad as scalelord reckoner being master chief tho

It was looking pretty good for casual play, with both the tribal staples like Gravespawn Sovereign and some personal notes that I could support, but two things occurred to me

First, and more minor, replace Perpetual timepiece with Embalmer's tools RIGHT NOW.

Second... FFS you need more mana. 31 lands? With an average CMC of 3.52? Seriously, beef it up. I wouldn't go below 35 unless I got the average CMC under 3.0, and even then I would feel the need for a good rock suite. Start by ditching Mental Note and Thought Scour, then keep cutting until you can get to 35 land and 10 ramp effects (probably rocks because you're in Dimir). Focus on rocks that cost 2 or less, Ideally ones that come in untapped. You have your Signet, Sol Ring, and Talisman (Ashnod's needs you to have a board, it doesn't really count as good buildup ramp), consider the following

>Sky Diamond, Charcoal Diamond, and Coldsteel Heart. 2-cost, enter tapped, make colored.
>Mind Stone, Thought Vessel, Prismatic Lens, and Everflowing Chalice. Cost 2 and come in untapped
>Mana Vault, it's mana-positive if you need it to be and doesn't cost a gorillion dollars.
>Mana Crypt, you're running a nearlt 500 dollar deck, you should be able to afford one
>Commander's Sphere, it's 3-cost but it comes in untapped makes any functional color and can crack for a card if you don't need it.
>Hedron Archive, Thran Dynamo, and Worn Powerstone are slower but represent a big surge of mana. Throw one or more in if you need a lot of mana per turn for your activated abilities, your curve is low enough that you shouldn't need them just to cast your spells.
>Magnifying Glass is a personal favorite of mine for any controlling deck, and you seem to be more into control/synergy than straight up combo killing. It's a slightly overcost Mind Stone but in return it can draw you cards forever in the late game.

I thought he had a pumpkin helmet for the longest time. Guy is actually a pretty cool card I've found, native double strike and magnetism is pretty dangerous for a low investment.

He's still third for monowhite equipment voltron fun times, though. He can get lucky pretty easily but Sram's CA and 8.5 Tails ability to be an insane spanner in the works would seem to hold a little more water.

He's a pretty nice roleplayer in Nazahn but yeah, CA and "I'm sorry, but you can't do that, Dave" beats out pure stompyness.

There is a severe lack of spear/polearm representation in the game nowadays, glad the furry could add some in.

Post some silly, janky deck ideas you've kind of wanted to do but just never got around to for whatever reason.

Mine's pic related based around color changing fuckery, ideally with only cards in the old frame.

So I ordered a back of oversized sleeves on Amazon for Planechase and got a fucking box of them insetad. I tried to return them through Amazon and they never sent me the info to return it.

What the fuck do I do with 800 oversized sleeves.

Print out a bunch of oversized proxies and play a giant deck? Hell if I know.

Order every oversized card in existance sleeve them and build an oversized commander deck.

Or sell them on ebay.

Sell them to your FLGS

I already tried. None of them want them because they know they won't sell :/

You mean giant as in giant tribal with motherfucking Stoutarm at the head, right?

Did you pay the price for a pack and get a box? If so, enjoy! You can sleeve up planechase, archenemy, and the damn giant foils that come with Commander XX every year for now until eternity pretty much.

Spirit tribal with all the Myojin and pic related.

Is this fuccboi viable at all? Having a SFM as your commander along with access to green for ramp seems pretty solid.

Yeah, I paid $4 total. I did sleeve up my foil oversized commanders, but found out that the old buy-a-box oversized cards were actually a different size. Fucking wotc

Planechase, oversized commanders, archenemy, and a set of vanguard cards will take half of them.

Define viable? Like he's not terrible for Selesnya Voltron (Sigarda1 is probably better thanks to her native abilities, but I'll never overlook a tutor), but Voltron won't fly at cEDH tables, so it depends on the playgroup.

Can someone tell me what is Green about this guy?

Tutoring his hammer is a pretty cool thing, you can also fuck around with the Blade of Selves for multiple equip tutors per turn.

Fucking nothing but I won't say no to green access.

kek
>not pointing to the grass outside

Hell yeah, nothing like a giant Giant deck.

>You mean giant as in giant tribal with motherfucking Stoutarm at the head, right?

holy shit do this user! fucking do this!
everytime you play a giant, you have to say I AM GIANT

youtube.com/watch?v=cu7AbXIh4hY

the grass ain't that guy

Went around to a few Wal-Marts in my area and found some of the $20 repacks. Several of them had C14 in them, so I ended up with 2 Nahiris, 1 Ob Nixilis, and 1 Daretti. Really wish I'd have found a Freyalise, but I still got a lot more value than I spent.

The packs ended up being 4 SoI, 3 BfZ, and 1 DTK, the best card of which was a Westvale Abbey.

Altogether, I think it was pretty good. You guys should scrape your local stores, it seems worthwhile. They have them set up so the packs are loosely wedged in either end of the box to try and prevent you from seeing what the deck is inside, but you can shake them loose and peer inside with a tiny bit of effort. There were a few intro packs and a clash pack deck in one of them, so be sure to check first.

Asking again for the day crowd.
I only recently actually looked at Atraxa's art up close. I had thought she was a lot more monstrous than it turns out she is. Anyone else think the same?

I want to creampie inside Atraxa

Don't make it weird, Gitaxias.

I expected her to have no skin at least

I'd like them just got all of planechase and archenemy. let me have them.

So I've done planechase archenemy but never with vanguard. What are some decent ways to integrate it into edh?

>All oversized proxies giant tribal

Holy shit

I like the target ones (I got two Freyalise in one box) but the Walmart ones are obscured by the packs and I've literally gotten one with a land pack and half a deck builder toolkit. Fucking sucked.

How many cards total?

if anyone gets butthurt about only playing with proxies be sure to have a legit regular size version of the deck and they can't complain

>What the fuck do I do with 800 oversized sleeves.

Make a giant deck, post results after you've played it

Any sugestions/spicy tech for Riku ETB Goodstuff?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/riku-rug-goodstuff-1/

>the Walmart ones are obscured by the packs

Yeah, you have to shake them around a bit at an angle. The packs can and will come loose and then you can see the deck that's inside.

I tired that once. Took like 10 minutes and I looked like a retard. I'll try again next time though.

Well, here's the steps to try. Hold the thing sideways so one of the packs is facing upwards. Lift it up and abruptly swing it downwards. The pack will probably come loose and sink a little ways into the box. Shake it like it's pivoting on the bottom corner so that the deck inside actually knocks the pack over. Then you'll either be able to see the deck, or, if it landed so the pack is on top of the face of the deck, you have to shake it back and forth a little so that the pack slides off the face of the deck.

I was able to get all of them visible in the end, taking maybe a minute at first and then less than 30 seconds after I got the hang of it.

[distant sound of braap]

best thing to come out of c17 infa100

give me goodstuff for c17 wizards pls. Im about to make a quick pickup at my lgs

>tfw store in your country don't have anything other than recent sealed product at MSRP
>Also put all the stock behind glass so you have to annoy the staff

Granted, when everything stocked YGO during the original anime craze the kids stole the shit out of any card + merchandise bundles.

>Cards that should have been Naya

uhhhhh...shit. not at home to count. it's every plane and every scheme (promo included) and then one of my friends lives off of eBay selling magic cards and magic related garbage. So I could find a use for most of em.

Lorwyn Merfolk Wizards: Sigil Tracer, Sage of Fables, Wanderwine Prophets, and Storybrook Banneret.
Also some utility wizards like Venser, Vedalken Aethermage, and Fatesticher/Aphetto Alchemist

Shits out tokens and turns into a lord pretty quickly, seems like a no-brainer.

>ywn have a foil BfBA
Anyone with the Cat deck: Did they even make tokens for this?