What's a quick, good "why they're together" adventure for a generic fantasy party?

What's a quick, good "why they're together" adventure for a generic fantasy party?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20091205110126/http://www.meatcards.com/pages/alpha-tester-challenge
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>why they're together
That fine ass laying right in front of them

Theyre travelling to the same place.
Everyone got a letter dictating to go to [Place X] from an unknown source.
Hired as Mercs.
Thrown in the same prison cell.

And they could always have met in a tavern.

on a (river)boat, attacked by (river)pirates. As the only competent combatants the PC's should naturally team up to not be killed.

My players woke up in a tavern. Trick was they had no memory of the previous night. First adventure was piecing together what had happened, eventually discovering it was a combination of "Dude, Where's My Car" and "The Hangover" if both were set in the Renaissance. Now they stole a boat and travel around the world solving mysteries

guards attempt to arrest everyone near the food stand, but won't say why. all present must try to clear their names. one might even be a culprit. in their course of going around and asking questions, sellswords show up and attack them to stop them talking about the events at the time in question.

That dude with the tiny legs will never bang the hairy girl

The party has been raised up from brutality to kill the brutals who multiply and are legion. To this end their god has given them the gift of the gun.

>You all owe a debt to the Fae Lord, each of you tell me what you got in exchange.
>You're all family: cousins, (step) brothers and sisters, possibly an uncle/aunt.
>You all want to kill this powerful person and decided to get together, each character has a reason.
>Your honor somehow demands it.
>You have been soulbound together, should one of you distance themselves from the others, they'll die. You're on a quest to lift the binding.
>Your gods told you to stick together.
>Long time friends (childhood/war/other).

>You're all family: cousins, (step) brothers and sisters, possibly an uncle/aunt.

This would be...inadvisable in my games. For reasons.

I can't remember the whole prompt, but I remember somebody posting one in which the party wakes up in a dungeon with a shape fleeing around a corner and one of them has a note taped to their chest with details about a amnesia dog (I think the name was prettier) that caused short to long term memory loss whenever line of sight was broken.

> tfw no comfy family adventures roaming the countryside killing pests harming your neighbor's farms in search of family heirloom(s) and then getting caught up in big time adventure
I'd play it

That is a shop, right?

No. It's an attempted recreation of one of Frank Frazetta's art pieces.

She has the same kind of dirt on her arms. It's probably not shopped, but now that I've looked at it I really want some backstory for what's happening here.

In my experience, there's no good generic answer.
What I do, is talk to my players before hand about their backstory, and then give them each, individual reasons to be in the same place. One player may be there because he's currently working for the circus, while another may be the ambassador to that nation.

I'm a fan of the party having a small amount of ambigious history together. Each party member is given a few bennies/advantages to grant an ally if they can agree on a past event that would apply to the current challenge.

They are all go to the same graduate university (a la Discworld), some are roommates others are in similar classes.

The party are part of the same balding team and they are on the way to the Trifiefdom Championships. The BBEG is the bench warmer.

The very liw level party are all part of a circus, they've been 'formally invited' to perform for a fae court. There are repercussions for poor performances.

The party are hired to deliver a few prototype inventions from the artificers guild to the patent office. A rival artificer has stolen the blueprints, produced a similar contraption, and hired a rival adventuring crew to deliver the products first. So begins the first bicycle race ever.

This one.

>never touched a girl.jpg
Seriously? I know people who do this shit all the time. women like attention.
she is probably queen of the nerd dick in her circle.

>That is a shop, right?

No. How could you think that?

I am suddenly much more concerned for the girl's safety in this version.

Evil Wizard sent his minions out to kidnap local dignataries. One of them owes you money/knows something you need to find out/is your boss/etc.

>My players woke up in a tavern.
Meeting in a tavern? A bit cliché, but fine.
>Trick was they had no memory of the previous night.
STOP FUCKING DOING THIS

I usually start a campaign in the moment the players are on a milk run that goes bad.

>Trick was they had no memory of the previous night.
>STOP FUCKING DOING THIS

I've got to agree. The Hangover ripoffs are getting a bit stale.

They all wake up in an insane asylum, booked under other people's names. They soon learn the names aren't fake, but they aren't theirs either. The PCs are victims of the old switcheroo.

They must find the assholes that put them there.

None of them had a strong enough Spark on their own, but a nefarious experiment caused all of them to simultaneously planeswalk. Now their Sparks are linked, and someone is interested in that.

They were all in a battle with a wizard. Doesn't have to be the same wizard or even the same world. They all get hit with some magical bullshit by said wizard(s) and end up teleported in a situation where they work together or die. It's as simple as that.

I like these.

Is this guy wearing a plastic sieve on his head?

>a plastic sieve
Of course you might make that mistake, but for those of us who are learned recognize that priceless artifact for exactly what it is: the Golden Helm of Mambrino!

See

It's not shopped here is a whole series of them with these two dudes and this chick renacting Frank Frezetta paintings. Sorry I don't have sauce she is cute.

Jesus christ I'd go over and beat those two betas to within an inch of their lives and bang that ass in front of them

Sweet Jesus, dem glorious hips

web.archive.org/web/20091205110126/http://www.meatcards.com/pages/alpha-tester-challenge

Ok I found another one doing a little reverse image searching.

Have one I found

The central Chad-like character has some idiotic and ill conceived notion that he has some grand destiny ahead of him. The other party members are either too dumb to realize he's insane, with him out of pity/in order to make sure he doesn't get himself killed, or are just simply tagging along for the show.

That ass is a crime

A bandit gang captured them as slaves and fitted them with radio bomb collars that go off if they go a mile from one another. The slavers got caught in an ambush and the players escaped.

Seriously need more information here about these reference images anons... It's important

I don't disbelieve that, but she really has a fantastic ass

Thread derailed. Dat ass too fine lol.

all are refuges/retreating from a massive orc invasion, and they get assigned to the same tent camp. during the night, a raiding party attacks the edges of the camp, the PCs rush out to fight them off, but they manage to capture a bunch of civilians, you give chase.

They are all traveling down the same mountain pass, when a massive avalanche blocks the road ahead and they have to band together to clear out the nearby dwarf gold mine that is nearby, rumor has it, it has a secret path trough the mountain. but you know goblins or ghosts n shit, get dungeon crawling.

you are all on a passenger ship heading across the ocean, you gradually learn that the ship has a leak, and is slowy sinking, the ship master flys a distress flag, trying to signle a passing hostile foreign ship. they agree to take the civilians in trade for the able body men as deck hands. the party quickly learn that these guys arn't a part of a real navy, and they just sold off all the civilians as slaves, and you guys are now working for pirates.

the party see a flyer for mercenary for hire, some kind of wizard needs a dungeon cleared of skelly basterds so he can get a magic ring.

No you wouldn't.

Meeting in a tavern was purposefully cliche.

I've never once seen anyone else do the Hangover/DWMC riff for this. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, or hasn't happened often, but I am saying it's not overplayed. Either way though, my players loved it and still talk about it months later

These palid geeks are the heroes of the internet.

Are we certain OP didn't intend this thread to be about the butt after all?

I suppose I don't mind too much if your players had fun and their characters eventually got their memories back. The annoying thing is when
>players make backstories (worse, on DM's insistence)
>first session
>DM: You all have amnesia until you retrieve the Anal Bauble of Mindful Restoringness, which Lothgar the Mad has used to steal your memories!

Ah, yeah, I see where you're coming from.

They never did get their memory of the previous night back but that was because they found out one of the sailors they were partying with spiked their drinks with a hallucinogen to make it more fun, but he put in too much so they had a crazy night, blacked out (after kidnapping a mobster's son and raiding a morgue, among other things), and woke up in an inn room naked/chained together/chained to various predatory animals/covered in self-inflicted injuries.

>STOP FUCKING DOING THIS
Then stop drinking so much. Your character has a problem and it's destroying his family.

Seconded! But probably for different reasons... this is so adorable I love love love it! Who took these?

Each player rolls 4d6 and assigns two dice to the player to the left of them and two dice to the player to the right, forming pairs of Relationships and Desires or Locations. Replace locations with areas in your campaign.

Or just give the party an overarching theme. "You're all part of the same mercenary company" is one I use a lot.

Read the thread

Fuck you, asshole! You don't know me! You weren't there when the owlbears attacked! It's not MY fault I couldn't save them!

>Chateau d'Aubergine
hello new name for my dm inbox

that IS an exceptionally fine ass.

would you try to wrangle up some consent, or is rape the option you can live with?

Is, uh... is there a gallery of all of these? For research, of course.

See

Better made up on the fly than played out. Every time.

I don't understand why something like Shadowrun's fixers wouldn't work and naturally exist in a D&D type world with professional adventurers as a known phenomenon. If the profession exists, it'll have that kind of social infrastructure.

Explain?

All these niggas skeetin bout dat booty like she ain't got the Mona Lisa of backs

>letting yourself get reamed by middlemen standing between you and your quest
Might as well start covering your armor with logos for inns and health potion companies.

>like she ain't got the Mona Lisa of backs
It's really what allows the booty to shine. Back is like infrastructure for booty; when it works you don't think about it, but when it fails you notice something's wrong.

Why not make it so that they all want to get something done (i.e. clear out that wraith from that abandoned fortress), but all have their own reasons for doing it?

I have been toying around with original ways to have a party go on space adventures. I think the space pirate/mercenary/salvager scenarios are overdone. Everything just copied from a sci-fi show, is too.

My idea was to have the players be a unit of intergalactic parole officers. Prepare a handful of case files of alien criminals with interesting traits and adventure hooks and players can choose which one to check on first.

Beautiful.

That's right. It wasn't your fault, so why are you destroying yourself? Is this really what they would have wanted for you?

These guys can't be real LARPers, can they? Fucking hell, why is my group composed of overweight dudes and one heavyset chick who kicks more ass than all of them?!

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never start a thread with an image more interesting than the text!"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

One I like is telling the players where they're all gonna be at the start and having them come up with a reason for why they'd be there.

> Plastic sieve
That's called a 'colander'.

That looks like an excuse to get nerds to dress up so you can judge and laugh at them.

>that ass
>those wide birthin' hips
>that small waist
hnnnng

The display of barbarian brutality would all but guarantee the consent

i approve.

My fellow of Moorish descent

>(river)pirates
I.e., bandits with a riverside camp.