MTG Modern Magic General

There wasn't one so I guess I have to make one edition.

>Playing?
>Hating?
>Brewing?

If you're here you probably already know were to find info about the format.

Thread question: Do you think there are any underrepresented decks in the format that aren't seeing the amount of play that they should be? Are there any hidden gem decks that you think just need to get put in the spotlight once to start seeing serious play?

And of course, what do you think will be banned this coming Monday?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/series/budget-magic
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-68-10-tix-modern-turn-2-tokens
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Walk the Plank is better than Fatal Push in modern
What did he mean by this?

> double black
> sorcery

ITS BETTER DUH

Sup nerds.

>watching des
Why would you ever do that to yourself?

Any Merfags here? Regardless what do people think of -1 Master of Waves and -1 Island for 2x Clique? Are 12 islands with only 1 Cavern too risky?

we're either getting no bans or a street wraith ban

>Death's Shadow getting stronger
Cool, I won a foil one.

>playing
nothing atm been outta the loop for 3 years
>hating
i've been watching recent decks and they're all combo shit
>brewing
Moon ninja deck. definitely could use some help i'll post deck list if needed.

how is death shadow getting stronger? it's at it's lowest play rate in months.

CHECK OUT MY SPICE

That looks really fun to play. How's the blue splash treating you? Love me some Godo.

Creatures:
4x Higure, the Still Wind
3x Ink-Eyes
4x Judge's Familiar
4x Mistblade Shinobi
4x Ninja of the Deep hours
3x Skullsnatcher
3x Throat Slitter
3x Tormented Soul(looking for replacement, could do aether vial)
4x Walker of secret ways

Spells:
4x Mana Leak
3x Tamiyo the Moon Sage

Land:
4x Drown Catacomb
8x Island
7x Swamp
1x Minamo
1x Shizo

no idea about the sideboard honestly.

I want to make this work, save me anons.

4x bitterblossom
4x spellstutter sprite
2x clique
some number of thoughtseize and inquisition

what would I take out

The blue splash is fun. It gives you more t2 plays and improves your top decks late game at the cost of making the mana a little fucky.

What's the threshold for creatures you need for CoCo to become good? Is it 26 or 28?

My gf got interested started playing 3 days ago and bought 2 planeswalker starter sets. I've benn out of the loop for 4 years, after spending lots of money in magic.
I don't like standard, cause you need to update continiously. Is there any current budget modern deck which doesn't suck/instantly lose to 800$+ decks?

what's your definition of "budget"

you can find decks in the 300-400 range that are competitive up until the highest levels

skred, merfolk, dnt variants

if you just want to be competitive at fnm you can go further into the unviable tier with things like soul sisters and mono-g

mtggoldfish.com/series/budget-magic
Quite a few of the budget magic decks are good enough to at least win a FNM, can be upgraded fairly easily, and go for under $100. You aren't gonna win a pro-tour or some shit tho

talking about the sub 100$ range.

mono green stompy

thnx. What about infect?

i know mono black infect is sub 100$ range

I've seen sub 50$ g or u/g infect being quite competitive

any good substitute for mox opal?

>running a multiple color infect without a good land base
Sounds like asking for trouble

mono green then. better than mono black anyway and far cheaper

>go for under $100
>talking about the sub 100$ range.

what is this post

Anonymous 08/25/17(Fri)17:34:51 No.55062131 â–¶File: 1415057952848.jpg (36 KB, 512x512)
36 KB

>go for under $100
>talking about the sub 100$ range.

How can you watch this dude for more than two minutes? He is not even the entertaining kind of stupid.

Mono-white humans. Blazing fast and an easy game 1 against some decks.

Very easy to upgrade (better cards and more colors) and it's in a creature-type that's ALWAYS being printed, unlike Slivers and Merfolk.

Updated list:
Creatures:
4x Ornithopter
4x Mistblade
4x Deep Hours
4x Zephyr Sprite
3x Spellstutter Sprite
3x Throatslitter
2x Higure
1x Ink Eyes

Spells:
3x Artful Dodge
4x Inquisition
4x Mana leak
3x Tamiyo

Lands:
2x Creeping Tar Pit
4x Drowned Catacomb
9x island
6x swamp

Have you tried Dark-Dwellers? Seems spicy that they can either bust a land off the Stone Rain or Impulse off the Supreme Will

Are there any decent budget non-aggro decks? Aggro is boring (both to face and to run), and Magic, while fun, isn't worth shelling out a lot of money for.

Not the other user, your list looks fun, did drowner or supreme will give you enough value normal RG didn't? I'm running a list with Panglacial Wurm for those late game end of turn fetch flashing, finished 3-1 with it, lost only to grix shadow, which so far has been a bad match up for me.

turbo fog

care to share a list?

A bunch of Fog effects plus a janky wincon combo? What wincon should I go for?

I've not tried darkdwellers since I've been playing the supreme wills. I wasn't a fan before but they might be better with more hits.

I mostly got tired of having no dig/draw type spells and losing games to top decking a bunch of arbor elves or whatever. I thought about harmonize but I'm more interested in card quality than quantity. When supreme will got spoiled it looked to me like the right kind of card. Early tempo play, card quality later game. If your LD plan works the counter mode can stay relevant for a long time. Only problem was it is blue. So I just splashed blue. The eldrazI guy was more because I felt like it was a shame not to hae a blue threat if in was going to splash blue. It was the best one I could think of with just U in the cost. It's ability isn't bad and it gets bodies on board.

4 Ethereal Haze
4 Holy Day
4 Angelsong
4 Pollen Lullaby
4 Dawn Charm
2 Riot Control
4 Wrath of God
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Temple Bell
4 Howling Mine
4 Isochron Scepter
2 Approach of the Second Sun
22 Plains

how likely would somebody side in bloodmoon against storm?

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-68-10-tix-modern-turn-2-tokens

turn 2 tokens baybee

Wrath is pricy so you can go 4 riot 2 wrath for more budget

i guess it depends on how retarded you are

idk like 2 basics maybe 1

how likely would somebody side in choke against eldrazi tron

it's literally a joke deck, don't listen to this guy

Interesting, I have also lost games because 1/3 of the deck is a dead draw once you can generate 6+ mana, and I did use harmonize but felt it was lacking too, looking at your list I also forgot about the obvious LD part of the deck helping the mana leak effect of Supreme Will.
I understand it also helps when you have stone rain on t2 but the opponent drops a fetch and you can't do anything about it.

I'll try to fit supreme into my list and make some tests, well thought spice user.

can someone give me a quick rundown on Skred? Is it usable and/or fun?

Looks fun. Is budget Mono Black Midrange viable? Something like

4 Sanitarium Skeleton
4 Rotting Rats
4 Gurmag Angler
4 Tombstalker
4 Duress
2 Distress
4 Smallpox
4 Wrench Mind
3 Altar's Reap
3 Succumb to Temptation
24 Swamp

what about gray merchant of asphodel?

I thought about it, but I don't see myself having a high devotion enough for it to matter much.

Really the biggest issue with the spice is adding a 3rd color to your blood moon deck. The mana can get wonky. You can see that I cut an arbor elf for a 3rd bird, and put in just 1 breeding pool. There might be a better setup. Maybe you want misties and a basic island but having a land that only helps cast 4 cards seem bad to me.

>watching the "reee netdeck" guy

I can't even finish any of his videos. Too cringey and obnoxious

If I wanted to do this combo with Reletless Rats, should I go 3 color? Thinking green for coco and ramp, black for rats and discard, and blue for scry and counters.

I'm also building bant knightfall so I'm already in possession of 4x misties, I would naturally change the windswepts for those in my version, but I do agree with the basic island decision, I also don't believe it's worth it, the deck does have a bunch of birds and utopia sprawls to turn on the blue after the moon drops.

Most of the people at my locals swear by him, and say he's the only online source for Magic that people should be allowed to consult. Needless to say, I'm holding off on playing the game IRL until I move somewhete.

What's a cheap deck that can draw-go and hold up Flash creatures along with instant draw spells and counterspells? I'm thinking about trying mono blue Spirits.

UW monument

play esper monument for the real meme

Esper Monument? I'd rather not splurge for shocks or fetches, how does the Azor build work?

wew
can you recite any of their shitbrews?

They refused to let people see their decklists (it'd runi the creativity), but last I went there on a Magic day, I saw someone browsing Kamigawa commons and setting aside a bunch of green cards. That was also months ago.

>playing 8rack
>opponent on play mulligans to 4
>mfw

They'd consider 8rack an OP brainless netdeck, and refuse to play it because it's named.

didn't mean to quote you but,
that's dumb
8rack is fun stuff

Definitely. But anything with a name, they hate. I got group scowls from using the terms "aggro", "combo", and "control". They refer to people by color identites and player psychographics, and treat them as major personality aspects.

what the fuck is wrong with them.

They're a bunch of middle-aged spergs. Don't know much else to say.

Jesus christ that is some next level shit. Are there no competitive players at all? Did they all get driven out?

They allow the competitive players there begrudgingly to take business away from the other LGSes.

>I identify as mono-black graveyard synergy

They don't accept self-analyses. After mentioning "aggro", "combo", and "control" (I think I asked which someone preferred), they collectively labled me an Azorius Spike.

>goyf is still unreasonably expensive despite no one playing it anymore
>investors keep their investments
>FNM players can afford major decks

So this is how you negate the problems of the secondary market. Just force a meta shift into cards you've been reprinting and have made readily available.
>cause GGT to become overvalued
>ban it
>the most expensive nonland in Dredge is now Bloodghast, which has two separate budget options

Is there any way I can improve my Token deck here?
List

Creatures
1x Giesla, the Broken Blade
1x Lord of the Accursed
1x Dread Wanderer
1x Wayward Servant
1x Unraveling Mummy
1x Visier of the Menagerie
1x Aegis Angel
1x Archetype of Endurance
1x Bruna, the Fading Light
1x Hundred-Handed One
1x Crested Sunmare
1x Sanctifier of Souls
1x Anointer Priest
1x Aetherstorm Roc
1x Aven Wind Guide
1x Sanitarium Skeleton
1x Mummy Paramount

Spells
1x Liliana, the Last Hope
1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1x Eliminate the Competition
1x Behold the Beyond
1x Sudden Spoiling
1x Rise from the Grave
1x Ironwright's Cleansing
1x Erase
1x Haze of Pollen
1x Giant Growth

Enchantments
3x Anointed Procession
2x Campaign of Vengance
1x Divine Favor
1x Soul Link
1x Call for Unity
1x Endless Ranks of the Dead

Fuck Forgot Artifacts and Lands
Artifacts
1x Fabrication Module
1x Oketra's Monument
1x Throne of the God-Pharoh
1x Oracle's Vault

Lands
5x Plains
5x Swamp
5x Forest
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Irrigated Farmland
1x Temple of Malady
1x Fetid Pools
1x Forsaken Sanctuary

Slowly building soul sisters, thinking about the norin route with black splash for lingering souls. y/n?

You can start by playing playsets of cards and looking at established tokens lists in modern, specifically the BW variants.

>all these singletons
STOP
if your deck can't win using four different cards maximum, it's bad. Run four-ofs to increase the probability of getting what you need. Tron can win off lands and a single unchecked Karn or Reality Smasher, version depending. Grixis Death's Shadow can do same if you never remove the T2 Gurmag Angler/Tasigur they reliably land, nevermind Death's Shadow itself.

Also, this is the Modern General. Don't be a faggot, remember where you are, and reconsider if you're actually trying to build Modern or are just using the cards you drafted from FNM.

Do you play azorius colors often? Or did they just decide those colors' values fit your personality?

They immediately assigned that to my personality with their only context being me using "netdecker terms". I never played there.

Thanks user

I just can't believe what you're telling me.

I understand entirely. If someone else said that, I probably wouldn't believe it.

While any 0 Mana artifact could technically fill the spot, I think that this pile needs all the potential nut draws that it can get, and losing mox opal removes the ability to do crazy shit like turn 1 salvage Titan and slag fiend or turn 1 kuldotha rebirth crack the earth on the play or turn 1 book bust.

Hello, trying to find what my first magic card ever was.
All I remember was that it was probably a black creature. She looked like she was made of water or something, she was wearing like a leather leotard, and based off what I know now and what I remember from the art, she was probably from one of the Ravnica sets. Also she had some rocking tiddies. Thanks for any help I may get.

>first magic card
>implying you're not a dirty degenerate trying to find his first fap

Listen, I'm not confirming nor denying that.
But it was legit my first card and I'm trying to figure out what it was. Thought you guys might know

Its like 4 bucks

Auriok Champion, Hero of Bladehold, or Kor Spiritdancer are the first to come to mind. These are all white creatures and not from Ravnica. However, they wear leather and have rocking tids.

If you can at all remember the stats on the card, that would be more useful.

Those sleeves look hideous

She MIGHT have been 3-4 cmc
The last time I saw the card was literally YEARS ago

Are we talking 4 years ago or 15 years ago?

I play Enchantress and midrange burn. I'm now morbidly curious what would happen but was also addicted to quizzilla so i guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Fffuck, 8-10
Maybe

>black creature
>ravnica
>titties
From RtR block either Shadow Alley Denezin or Tavern Swindler