/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/gencon50exclamation-mark-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Do the Exarchs affect aliens? Like, are there Alien Seers?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRPG/comments/4rvrtu/chronicles_of_darkness_discord_server/
theonyxpath.com/now-available-a-grimm-dark-era-and-classics-in-print/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

goddamnit faggot

Abandon thread

Fagness has forsaken us.

Gay werewolves didn't die for another Mage thread.

>Do the Exarchs affect aliens? Like, are there Alien Seers?

My house fluff is that extraterrestrial exist but can't awaken or cause paradox. It's an open mystery to mages who study such things why this is.

It could be that magic has always been something inherent to humans, or the exarchs tyranny has cut off other species from the supernal, or aliens lack true souls, etc.

The subtle arcana and associated phenomenon behave strangely far from earth and the collective weight of humanity. The Shadow is a strange and inhospitable place beyond helios, paths in the astral make unexpected twists, avernian gates exist that open to nowhere, etc.

>muh humanity fuck yeah!
Your fluff is garbage and you should be ashamed

"Tier 2: This power functions as tier 1 above except it
may target supernatural beings, but not other mummies.
Targeted supernatural beings may resist by rolling Resolve
+ their relevant supernatural power Trait (i.e., Sekhem,
Blood Potency, etc.) contested by the Deceived’s roll of
Wits + Ren. If the Deceived fails this roll she cannot target
the same victim with this power for the remainder of the
story, although she may immediately spend 1 Ab to force
a re-roll of both die pools with the Deceived incurring a
-2 penalty. If the mummy is successful the supernatural
being will intuitively understand his jeopardy and will
have 48 hours until he is inexplicably destroyed. After he
meets his end, mortals and supernaturals alike will have a
-3 penalty on any rolls to recall specific details concerning
the victim. Mummies are immune to this effect on their
memory."
p.98
Book of the Deceived.

Okay, found it. This is the supposed anti-Archmage Utterance, but even taken at face value it doesn't seem to be a sure thing. At all. You need the Archmage's true name (easier said than done, even regular Mages will go to lengths to hide their real name), the power can be resisted (and Archmages have incredibly high Gnosis and can raise stats above five with magic), and even if it succeeds the Archmage has 48 hours to find and destroy the Deceived, which means the power won't take effect. And with Time and Space at 5 and as Ruling, he has a good shot at finding them. And for the purposes of crossover, going with Mage rules it could be decided that targeting the Archmage with his true name creates a sympathetic connection, which he could trace back.

I mean, I don't into Mummy mechanics so I'm open to being corrected, but just from what I see it's not as impressive as it was made out to be. And this is with things as written, not according to what Dave has said.

Last paragraph is worth keeping. Though I think it would be more interesting if there were alien Seers. Even better, if alien entities only has Seers. No friendly mages, every planet they go to is under full Seer dominion.

There is an utterance that allows you to use your own true name in order to target others than you don't know the true name of

What's that one called?

Not sure I wouldn't be caught dead playing mummy.

First for Changeling SUPREMACY

Anyone reading the new changeling thing, a Grim Dark Era?

I like the trifles, their like miny magical things hanging around the world.

One of them is the water of life, curing all sickness and congenital problems(withered limbs, and shit), adding 10 years to your life, heals all lethal and bashing damage as well as up to 4 aggravated damage, and the only real cost is that its really hard to find and if you can find it its expensive and probably guarded by big nasties.

This doesn't have a dot cost or anything, its just something you can find somewhere in the hedge.

I like things like this.

Where is the WoD discord?

Where is this? Was this in one of the Dark Era books?

Why would you want to hear a gaggle of sweat neckbeards screeching about crossover power wankery?

>Where is the WoD discord?

reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRPG/comments/4rvrtu/chronicles_of_darkness_discord_server/

There's a lot less of the crossover wankery on the Discord than here.

Just breathe heavily and masturbate into a microphone. Copy that half a dozen times with filters. Et voila, WoDG discord!

The people on the CoD Discord are actually very nice. Dunno about WoD, though.

GUY guys can't we all just agree Promethean is just Frankenstein's monster. But the Monster slowly learns over time he's actually the bride he's been looking for the whole time?

>The people on the CoD Discord are
boring. yes, yes they are

So, they are the same people from this general then?

theonyxpath.com/now-available-a-grimm-dark-era-and-classics-in-print/

>theonyxpath.com/now-available-a-grimm-dark-era-and-classics-in-print/
Cool, yeah it is just one of the chapters from the full Dark Eras book. I haven't looked at it, personally.

Is it only changelings in that one? No second splat? Could be interesting.

No, apparently they're nice.

>Is it only changelings in that one? No second splat?

Correct I believe. Although the general idea has already been done repeatedly with vampires and Bram Stoker.

Yo, the brother don't SWEAR he nice, he KNOWS he's nice

:-(

The only issue with that is it begs the question of why the seers haven't already won? Sure they spend 99.999% of their time back stabbing each other but the universe is a massive place and there would have to be enough like minded seers to crush the pentacle.

The guardians seem to think neither of them are actually playing to win.

Really, the Seers have won. Magic is derided as foolish bullshit. The Pentacle are desperately scraping for any advantage, often living in squalor. Half of what the Guardians do is from the Seer playbook. The only difference is that the Pentacle - and the Nameless - are still *there*. The only way they'll ever annihilate them is if the abyss closes. They have everything else they want - wealth, power, ownership of the planet.

See, I'm not a big enough mage player to know, but is population really the problem for the seers?

They already serve the sorcerer-kings of the supernal, right? The only things resisting them are what, the oracles and the watchtowers?

How have the Seers not already lost?

Plus, it could just be that the backstabbing intensifies when it comes to alien mages. The Exarchs want the terrible fallen statue quo right? If that is the case, then they tell alien mages to step off, stay far away from Earth. It is only when Pentacle mages head out into space that they run into these alien Seers, because the alien Seers cannot come to the Earth at all without Exarch permission.

Sorry, I meant 'how have they not already won'.

What do you mean by "Won"? They have won, the fallen world is exactly how the Exarchs want it (well if it wasnt for those pesky watch towers anyway)

>alien mages

Exactly how they want it includes the watchtowers existing, and pentacle mages trying to resist them, and enemy archmages rising in power?

I feel like that counts as resistance. They may be overwhelmingly winning, but it doesn't sound like they've won.

You don't outright kill your opponent. You keep them alive and weaken. Unable to do any real advantage. So you can blame all the problems in your administration on the opposition.

The seers have won outright, and the "Rebellion" is simply the line you lay out for the twenty crusade into the fallen world for supernal oil fields

The watch towers were put there by the oracles, for some reason the exarchs cant get rid of them so have perverted them by convincing newly awakened mages to become seers/slaves.

Which raises another question.
What do the Exarchs get out of controlling the fallen? Outside of making sure no one ever reaches them, that is (which they seem to be failing at).

Just how many archmasters do you think actually ascend so that the Exarchs have to share "power" with them?

That does the opposite of answering the main question.

Us mages, eh?

The exarchs get nothing out of controlling the fallen world, they leave that to the seers. Sure they send them messages every now and again but who is to say its really the exarchs and not just seer archmages still trying to gather more power or quintessance or whatever?

The exarchs dont want people coming up and having to share their pie with, so use the seers to make magic and ascending as hard as possible.

And the seers get trapped in the wealth and power magic gives them in the fallen world. Sure many become Archmages also but they continue to stay in power within the seer heirarchy and many probably dont want to ascend or even think they can.

And the Seer ones that do it get to be absorbed by their patron Exarch.

Luxury and the right to rule.
Whats the point in being King if no one recolonizes you as the King?

The ruler gets the right of power from the lower class handing over their power to the higher class. Thus they shape reality as such because either A they like the stability or B they have to have it like that

>or even think they can
Exarchs offer Ascension to their most loyal and proven followers.

Yeah user, the Exarchs totally wouldn't lie

Where can I find the WoD discord?

>Yeah user, the Exarchs totally wouldn't reshape the objective truth to suit their own whims

It was my understanding that the Exarchs are actually powerless in the Supernal, and that they rely on the Seers to get things done in the Fallen, that or their Ochemata.

Or they offer "Ascension" to the most dangerous real Ascension candidates.

They're not powerless, they control reality itself

But the fallen world is so tiny they need to use tools to influence it directly. Like humans affecting bacteria.

Seers are those tools

I don't think they actually control reality. They're just representations of certain bits of it.

They're stuck in the Supernal, and need humans to do their work for them.

What work exactly? What could they possibly want from the prisoners stuck in the fallen world?

The whole exarchs thing is to keep the plebs off our island. Thats what they use the seers for, they dont need anything from humans other than them to stay in their cage.

To do their dirty work? Prevent others from Ascending? Why else would they send down their Ochemata?

The Exarchs are rather limited in application. They can't just cast magic in the Fallen, not without their Ochemata.

Its like the Exarchs own a prison, they get the seers to run it and only care about if people escape. Day to day shit is left up to the seers. If a lot of people start escaping then they send in a representative to start throwing its weight around and correct the problem but assuming they actually need stuff from inside the prison is nuts.

You realize the Exarchs just fucking noped Camelot out of existence, right? Deleted it from the Fallen World's timeline. They also start really moving their asses once somebody actually starts making real progress towards Ascension, and they can spawn infinite Ochema into the Fallen World.

What is the most OP thing you can do as a werewolf with optimizing?

Do they have anything on a city, continent or world-busting level?

Pretty sure a beast can bench press a building due to some shitty written rules

I never really look at high tier stuff for splats, since I don't find that level of play interesting. So I honestly don't know.

Did they ever even get a book for Elder style play?

No

What's your favorite Bygone beast?

Have you ever used one in a roleplay session?

really good at clawing stuff except kinetic shields.

What?

Why you ask?

Werewolves or Beast? But yeah I seem to remember the lifting rules in nwod and GMC being shoddy all the way through.

I did once design a Demon with flight who was large enough and fast enough to Kool Aid Man his way through entire buildings and sky scrapers and basically kill almost anything he collides with short of supernatural means to subdue the damage incoming.

I don't know much about Forsaken but I've heard some of their Gifts can let them turn an entire city into a firestorm or drop a mountain on people. Is that true?

short answer no
Long answer, you have to go get a spirit and bribe the fuck out of it

Werewolves aren't continent or world busting. No splat is. Not unless you bring in Archmages.

Well lets check the power of the top end gifts, since no one wants to take this question seriously.

>Crescent
Can detect and perceive through the senses of all spirits within X range. X being a variable of 100 yards based on wisdom rank.
>Full Moon
Each success adds 2 strength, stamina, 1 armor, or 1L to attacks. Can work in most forms.
>Gibbous
A target has pretty much all combat stats reduced by the user's renown rank. Defense, chase rolls, attack rolls. They are pretty much screwed for a whole day.
>Half Moon
Can change places with a packmate, regardless of any other situation. Just *schlooop* switch places.
>New Moon
Instant skip across the gauntlet, regardless of thickness or locus or whatever.

These are the moon gifts so far.

BARNEYFAGS, THIS IS YOUR MINDSET

If you want city smashing shit you have to make some kind of big fuck off rite and channel leylines for power. The entire point of werewolf is that together they can take do big things

Like a furry voltron

Please go back to /mlp with your faggotry

You can also turn a bunch of humans into wolves (so they can help you). Which is fun all in itself. Turn all your ride or die humans into a big old pack for a night.

>Mages brag that they control the universe when they can't even destroy a continent or sizable Island without using their God Prestige class

Lel really puts it in perspective when you place them side-by-side with cape Comics or anime.

Mages still have the farthest reach of the splats, even without Archmages.

Hell, Space can flat out stack locations on top of one another.

And Man can Nuke mages into vaporized walls what's your point?

And a Mage with Forces 1 can shield himself from radiation and Forces 2 can neutralise a nuke entirely

>with Forces 1
Wow seeing all the radiation is sure useful. If you're just going to lie this conversation has no point

Compelling user

How would that work? I would love to hear the logic.

Radiation expands outward, you compel it with Forces to expand around you, same way you can use Influence Fire to direct flames

Stop replying to yourself

Yeah uh... this logic will be interesting.

So, can Mages effectively replicate most every non-Mage ability from the other splats?

Psychic Domination = Dominate
Acceleration = Celerity
etc
etc

What are some examples of things they -cannot- mimic?

If you have the right arcana, they can do just about any other abilities.

But that requires having the right arcana.

You can direct flames by nudging them along a certain path, because they already spread along paths on their own. Radiation just expands. To make it avoid you entirely, to shape it around you when it would never naturally do so, is Ruling.

They cannot mimic a Beasts or Changeling ability to be a raging faggot.

Is that a fucking challenge?

Please do not Persona-shame Mages.

More!

Can I be an Alchemist who also works as a Hunter?

My trypophobia senses are tingling from that picture.

I'd say sure. To keep up the alchemy requires a fair amount of promethean hunting, so you would probably want help from a hunter cell to accomplish that.

Which... typically is what groups of alchemists do. Honestly they are just 'evil' hunter orgs.

What can alchemy do in Promethean?

Would it make sense to describe a Tammuz as looking like they went bobbing for apples in a cement mixer?

Using stolen Prommie juice, they can use a prepared bottled up version of a promethean power. That's the short version anyway.

Unfortunately they don't go into a lot of details in the core. It is one of the sour parts of the gook, to be honest. They didn't devote enough wordcount to them.

What are the Ascending Ones?

>Unfortunately they don't go into a lot of details in the core. It is one of the sour parts of the gook, to be honest. They didn't devote enough wordcount to them.
I blame the fact that Prommie 2E was written by the same guy who wrote Beast.

Not in the sense that he made 2E an Author Tract, but because he made it so you couldn't really work with the Alchemists as an ST.

Who would have through that making it so players couldn't use anything connected with the Gameline Antagonists would negatively affect the ability of the ST to use said Antagonists as NPC's , huh?

Whats a good shadow name for a Mage who specializes.in Light spells and forges her soul to be the guiding light for others?Path and Order?