Help me settle something Veeky Forums

Help me settle something Veeky Forums

I had a combat situation where one of my players got warped into an empty void with the person who warped them in and they had their own separate duel alongside the normal combat.

I thought it would be a really cool situation/spectacle but one of my players got a little uppity about it; not the one who got warped. He asked if I specifically picked someone and I said yeah it was based on class; the warped player was their only magic user. He claimed I was targeting and I had committed a DMing sin by singling out someone like that.

He keeps bringing it up even though it's over and done with so I'm curious to what Veeky Forums has to say. Was that a bad move or is he just salty he didn't get a cool spotlight fight?

Other urls found in this thread:

tuckerskobolds.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>enemy actually does a clever thing
>DMING SIIIIN, WAAAAAAH
sounds pretty upset.

Wait, so there was a cool wizard's duel alongside everyone else having normal combat, and the guy who had the duel doesn't feel cheated?
So there's no problem. Literally 0 issue.
Also reminds me. Maybe the opposite sin has been committed. Maybe your enemies act like a simple AI too often, and your players don't realize that they're intelligent beings that can come up with cheap plans too. Remember Tucker's kobolds. tuckerskobolds.com/

Warped druid is 10/10 chill dude ready to die for cool flavor text

Upset Fighter is number cruncher min/max king

I usually stick to pretty realistic combat situations, but I never even considered the possibility that they're just used to easy fights. Thank you for the enlightenment and link.

He's a salty faggot that needs to get over it. If no one else is raising a fuss over it than I don't see why its a big deal beyond the wanting a cool spotlight moment for himself

>We still have to go out the way we came in
Never fail to make me laugh, those kobolds.

Its bad to target players over and over pointedly

One instance is not targeting

You're just going to get that player sometimes that believes he's getting singled out or that you're giving another player preference. A recent example for me:

>Succubus is stalking the party while in the spectral realm, charming the characters when she has the opportunity.
>Players catch onto her charm rules.
>Min/max elf ranger gets charmed
>Says he takes off his armor so he can easily get hit by an unarmed strike by the barbarian
>However, he does not say he puts his armor back on
>When they get into combat he points out again about his relatively high AC.
>Until he gets hit, and I comment he left his armor behind.
>Surprise, armor's gone.
>For the rest of the session and afterwards for the next couple days, he's upset, saying I'm always taking his stuff and telling me to give his oh so precious +1 armor back

He also got upset when he got a nat20 and said "I shoot my bow". I took his words literally, so he shot and killed a monster with his bow instead of an arrow, but still got upset that he had to take an action to retrieve his bow.

>Someone getting offended on behalf of someone else
This shit rustles my jimmies more than anything else. The world would be a much better place if this behavior was absolutely not tolerated.

>He also got upset when he got a nat20 and said "I shoot my bow". I took his words literally, so he shot and killed a monster with his bow instead of an arrow, but still got upset that he had to take an action to retrieve his bow.
That's just being a pretentious little cunt.
And before you go all "What, is it so bad to expect proper grammar?", understand that shooting a bow would be taking another weapon and firing it in AT the bow, so your smartass literal punishment of it wasn't even correct

I'll admit I was drunk at the time, and that was the one instance that I paid really close attention to what he actually said, so I just rolled with it. It's not like I'm watching like a hawk to pay attention to the most minute detail what the players say. I know what his intended action was.

>I know what his intended action was.
Then do that. Simultaneously ruining someone's enjoyment of the game and ripping them out of immersive roleplaying over "lol, I'm going to interpret your words against your intent." is pretty shitty. Makes your players think they can't casually roleplay and act natural, for fear of their words being held against them.

So you're just a cunt then?

Tell him to stop being a whiny cunt and if he doesn't like it, he can go back to AL night at the gaming store. Give him a coupon for some adult diapers when you do this.

we had a situation somewhat like this where one of the enemies was in the ethereal plane, and he would blink in for a round to cast spells against us or buff his allies

when we faced him for a third time, our cleric was ready and immediately brought himself to the ethereal plane to fight him

the only difference is that our cleric went in on his own accord and wasn't warped in by the enemy.

your player is just a sourpuss, even if our guy was warped in none of us would even consider for a moment that the spot light was on that person because we were all concerned with the rest of the guys we had to stop

Depends.
If the rest of the party had to sit around with a thumb up their bum or if their fight was extremely boring, there is something to it. You should try to make every moment interesting (of course you wont be able to do this, but you should try).

>Dm let's you be a baller by having you kill a monster by throwing your bow at it
>Wah now I have to go get it

Why even play

>made him throw his bow to kill something
That's funny as fuck. Don't listen to the spergs ITT the world needs more rule of cool DMs like you

>Giving the wizard spotlight
That was a huge mistake. Casters already have almost all the power to move the narrative and win combats, this is basically the opposite of what you should have done.

>DM pits us against high level encounters where we need to give it all we've got both tactically and resources wisw
>Has enemies that use tactics, even after a surprise attack of our own and that we have to trick or outsmart into losing
>Puts us in situations where we need to actively avoid fighting or risk a very horrible death
Sounds like your players are just weak cunts.

So I guess it's just a matter of playstyle. Like I said, it was just a spur of the moment thing. Pic related is what immediately came to mind.

So what about the armor thing then? He argues that it's implied that he automatically puts it back on, while I was deliberately waiting for him to say that he was re-donning before I viewed it as free game to be get snatched up.

You're a cunt. You understood what he meant, yet you went "har har you throw your bow" anyways. And of-fucking-course it's implied you don your armor before battle.

This DM:
>"I charge into battle!"
>"You didn't say you'd take steps, so you fall face first into the enemies' feet, hur hur"

That guy sounds like a little tosser.

That being said. IF you at some point or another let everyone have a cool moment its fine.
IF you only have that one player do every cool thing, is the best pc on the table and gets all the best custom loot.
>playing star gate
>everyones a solider or a scientist
>1-3level on a 10 level system
>Players freind is a ' friendly' goa'uld
> 8th level
>Can do what she wants has free run of the base
>has gear thats like comparing sticks to AK47s
>Gm flips his shit when a player wants a special shotgun that really exists in our world
>slimmer pattern in all games this guy runs.

Tell him that you aren't supposed to make the game a cakewalk. Intelligent enemies are going to make smart decisions.

>Yep. The guy had it comming
>I shoot bow

Nope your a fucktard. Lets hope your wife never asks you to make the kids dinner. You be fucking eating them.

Really its comes down to the amount of time passed between taking off the armor and the next fight.
A few moments, then it should still be off.
If the PCs where safe for a while then it should of been back on.
The thing is that PCS CAN SEE AND KNOW IF THEY ARE WEARING STUFF OR NOT.

>Elf charmed
Something doesn't feels right