ITT: Monstergirls and World building

So seeing as monster girls are cute and work great as monsters if done well, let's see if we anons are up to this challange:

Can we add your favorite monster girl into a setting of your choice in a fashion that makes sense (or is vaguely realistic)

Bonus points if you can make it look non-cringy or magical realmy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ALI5sO5aSPU
youtube.com/watch?v=Et--lFINQOM
lomion.de/cmm/mimic.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

an easy one is the harpy. Depending on the type of bird you base then on have it affect their manners. Swan harpy would be graceful and refined. Magpie harpy snatches what it thinks is nice and kills for the emprah. Owl harpy could be wise and patient.

I kind you not I did that, but for me swans are worse of the bunch - swans are just horrible birds - I make them giant brutes everyone hate, while I make all the crovids the smart ones - nothing cutter then crow harpy librarian.

Adding onto this, I could see a caste system based on breed of bird if they were all to exist at once and had their own civ. Eagle or falcon up top with something like finch on bottom.

a swan is just a prettier goose. And we all know that when the goose is loose best to vamoose.

Don't you cringy weebs have enough threads here?

This is the board you wanted, man.

I could see some cases of birds using there smarts to rise higher - as a lot of birds of prey are smaller then ravens, you could totaly see some ravens seizing control with there cunning alone.

I always imagine harpy as mostly high attitude bird. When they are old and can no longer maintain that height, they glide down and become more of scavenger. It make a good reason why most representation of harpy are hags.

Moth girl are my favorite. I imagine them more as an metamorphic form of dryah. They feed near their tree, then when they are of age cocoon them self to become moth girl.

>swan harpies are graceful and refined
False. Swans are horrible, murderous assholes who wouldn't think twice about mauling you.

that's a lot of buzzwords to tell people to stop having fun my dude

So who else think we should replace orcs with swan harpies? Which when you think about it, make for some great evil monsters you can kill with no remorse

>evil monsters you can kill without remorse
Silly user, that's what elves are for!

Yeah, but in my world all got eaten by gnolls, so I am out (And orcs never existed in the first place)

Those are 8 words telling you to go to

Furry content belongs on Friendly reminder to sage all off topic threads.

Humans are the first mortal race so most of others races were born out of them with magical mutations, experiments and outside-context interference. So there is plenty of humanish monsters and whole definition of humanity is a bit blurred.

But monster girls are not furry, so yeah, fuck off.

And this is about world building using monster races, so yeah this is more on topic them most threads at that moment

I feel this works great if you want to run a game in post-apocaliptic setting, where some genetically unstable virus lead to creation of such monster folk - leading to them getting better adapted to certain areas

>Can we add your favorite monster girl into a setting of your choice in a fashion that makes sense (or is vaguely realistic)

I have multiple favorites, so let's see which ones I can fit in.

>Snek
I was already planning to have some kind of lizardfolk living in the desert, lamia's could easily replace them without too much difficulty. If they're sneks, they can even be a burrowing race.

>Yuki-Onna
They live north with the frost giants. Nothing much to add to it.

>Mermaids
Bog-standard aquatic humanoids.

>Arachnids
This one's a bit more difficult. I guess they could be some kind of cursed race, doomed to live this way by the demon king and hiding in dark and distant places because everyone's disgusted by them?

Swans look graceful even when they're about to whoop you.
youtube.com/watch?v=ALI5sO5aSPU

>Yuki-Onna

>Handmaidens to the frost giants.

I like it. Every giant race needs a smaller minion race. Consider it stolen.

>Handmaidens
Well, I originally intended them to just be separate species, but now you made me imagine frost giants as a race with extreme gender dimorphism, with yuki-onna simply being the women of their race: tall by human standards, but not giants.

That does make me wonder how they reproduce. The man being that much taller than the woman has some... unfortunate implications.

I always just added arachnids as one of other races, one that came to be normaly but are just disliked - this is why one of my games had one deep underground keeping a bunch of spiders as pets.

She wanted to live above ground in a city when she was little but they beat her and chased her out (This is why she only has 7 legs and 5 eyes), but now because of the players she moved to a giant underground city of kobolds and helps them keep there spider pack mounts (As well as coming by and helping the party out when they need a druid)

>post-apocaliptic setting
I recall that was origin of non-humans in Shannara. Although they were standard fantasy elf, dwarf, troll mix.

One way to reason why they are so few in numbers could be this - giants need magic to reproduce, in particular magic to either enlarge or shrink on of the partners

>but now you made me imagine frost giants as a race with extreme gender dimorphism

A fair and novel idea, but consider this;

Hand Maidens attending female Frost Giants.

>The man being that much taller than the woman has some... unfortunate implications.

>but now you made me imagine frost giants as a race with extreme gender dimorphism
That's actually consistent to the Norse mythology.
Male frostis are ugly but females are fairly attractive and considred as wives for the gods.
If an Asir or Vanir is a half blood it's everytime the mother who carries the giant blood.

>Those bulls
....why?

Sex slave / breeding cattle race.

Or...

Japan.

Oh interesting, granted monstrous creatures idea seems like more fun - then you might has well have humans extinct on the plant and have only humans nearby be in some half ruined space station in orbit.

user, monstergirls different from other fantasy races because they're all women and usually need human men to procreate.
You cannot divorce them from magical realm, you just can't.

Not always - there are ways to make so need for men is gone (You could do it for most reptiles, birds and even mermaids to an extent - as some can reproduce thought Parthenogenesis) And thus even create tribes of monster folk that have no concept of sex and thus are not seeking or interested in it.

Also you can always make some just as good looking monster men if that is what you want.

By that logic Amazons are monstergirls.

And equally fictional.

They are.

Which ones? Seeing as warrior women did exist, even if not as pure warrior women culture or kingdom.

That's a good question though.
If we assume it's only humans then they can work something out with them to keep the populations up.
If it's something like wfb, then they're in deep shit as everyone the wilderness they would hide in is now filled with actual horrible monsters.
Maybe another type of agreement, you keep the roads clear and we give you a few men every year. Because the likes of the Empire really can't afford the constant kidnapping and mindbreaking of possible conscripts in its many battles.

Eh...Friend you done goofed, as last line of the ops post says: Don't go cringy or magical realmy

They can be territorial and aggressive, particularly those with cygnets or that are unfamiliar with people who think swans are all domestic animals for some reason, but that doesn't stop swans from being one of the most beautiful birds out there.

They're also greedy assholes who will do anything to get something shiny. They're Jews.

Monstergirls are inherently cringey and magical realm bullshit

Yes, and human race is all about that by it's very nature - just look at our mitologies

So guy what would you think of this encounter for my players for confusing them:

They see a drider (be it my variation that is less drow and more big fuzzy tarantuala) in common farmers clothes and few humans in armor herasing her - concept being this said drider is actually a girl one of the veteran soldiers adopted daughter...Something to cause fear in low level players or just for fun roleplay

Fear.
A man willing to adopt a drider is a bad man and needs to be slain along with his pet.

Well my dirder are not the drow drider, I just made them as giant half spider race that lives in forests and underground - and ironically despise the drow, but most surface dwellers misunderstand that.

Still a giant spider monster.
Monster = bad.
Bad gets slain.
Murderhobo away.

If we're going full-MGE or MGQ, I'm doing pic related. It would probably be done by all species because of xenophobia and the desire to not get raped/killed, so use that to deconstruct the weeb's magical realm.

Anyways I'm considering trying to work out a Ravnica setting, so the Simic should have plenty of monster humanoids.

>Papi
>Pro-Trump
The name sounds too Spanish for her to not get wall'd.

Didn't take long for Mudusa to be a HOT LADY.

.... And now I want that one planeswalker.

They are smol and can be kept as pets.

Oh yeah murder hobbos....Attacking poor girl instead of knights with loot!!

Centaur Paladin and Humanoid Archer pairs would dominate on the battlefield.

Anything big enough would do that - drider for example has even harder skin and can move upside down - imagine that one with an archer on a back in urban environment.

She could actually be Spanish. I've met Spanish people before so I'm pretty sure they exist.

Driders have less stamina and long-distance speed.

This is why I say urban environment - in a city or in a cave they have advantage of mobility and can even rival fliers who would have problems there.

(Also as far as long distance goes irronicly human will eventually outrun a horse)

Don't spiderbait me user.

Why not?

Also this would be interesting - how would you add spiders like this into Sci-Fi (Besides aliens)

Also does this count?

I prefer jumping spiders for cute not lewd

Beside aliens? What else would they be if not aliens?
Mutants? Genetic experiments?
0G would probably fuck with silk production, eight legs would be initially awkward but ultimately better again. Size may be an issue.
Piloting with eight limbs to be badass, if not by pulling all sort of levers with silk threads.

My fantasy spider people struggle to form societies because of their solitary instincts, but SF spider people would be long past that or they would never had reached space.

Uh this sound like an interesting idea - maybe the case of colonization? After all not all worlds are fit for humans, so maybe it would help with survival?

Jumping spider is a cute.

If it's a very pulpy kind of SF, spiderpeople may live in formless low gravity moons or asteroids full of tunnels, or asteroids belts or in gas giants flying islands connecting bits of lands with giant webs.

Also, I just remind myself about social spiders being a terrifying thing, so what I said above could be countered by using those as a model for intelligent spiders.

Spiderdaughter seems to be a thing.

Carbonara Carbonara
Time to impregnate Rachnera

Spider are not for lewd, silly.

post more qt

It will cost ya.

Monstergirls work terrible as monsters unless you've got a ryona fetish. There's no point in making your monsters cute and feminine when you're just going to kill them anyway. And if you're not, why have them as monsters? Why not just use other existing humanoids?

These Nixies are both cute and realistic. I don't think these would feel too magical realmy.

When I was a teen, I was doing my world building stories.
And at some point of my "knock off middle earth" was a half human half spider woman, that was the forceful experiment of Bael to get himself closer as a god than a demon.

Her daughter was the stereotypical girl that dont know the world outside and had no interactions with others.

Something something SPICE.

a bit more spicy

As someone who is mortaly afraid of frogs I find this thing scarier then most eldrich horrors

Well it's the term monstrous humanoid that could fit here, even if humanoid is a bit wague term about some of the monster girls - but yeah I usually treat them as things you can reason with or you can fight

I'm trying to figure out a way to make mimics have an amicable relationship with civilized races without changing too much about them.

If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

Could I get some help on making a fantasy spider race? No vaguely human parts allowed, they are just smart spiders. Here is what I have so far.

The Khal'arach
>live in Mirkwood equivalent
>can store memories and moonlight in their webs, specialize in moon magic
>have a vast tunnel-web complex made of all their stored memories
>make large satellite-like structures to capture moonlight, maintaining these would be part of their culture
>web-based moon spells can bestow dreams, nightmares, madness, or sanity

I have a few questions:
>How would they think? (values, beliefs, personality types)
>Would subspecies variants be a good idea? (Arguments for both sides, I presonally feel that the more biologically specialized they become, the more they seem like monsters and less like humans, who do not specialize)
>How would they interact with each other? (I do want them to have some form of society while staying true to real spider behavior to a degree)
>How would they interact with PCs? (I don't want them to be a race with only a villainous option, and full-on spiders need some form of communication to do that)

That picture really got me thinking. It's supposed to be a maneating worm-thing with a pretty woman shaped tongue(?), right? That's not too unusual, as various predators in nature mimic the sexual attributes of various animals, but these animals are mere instinct-driven machines that are easily tricked by certain signals. That got me thinking about how far things would have to go to trick a human male.

This got me thinking about some sort of monster girl with the lower body of a maneating worm that appears very open and friendly, will approach you, flatter you, engage in deep conversations that last the entire night with you, meet your parents, not-too-subtly hint that she wants you to propose to her et cetera. Then, on your wedding night, when you're undressed and about to consumate your marriage... SURPRISE! It was a man-eating worm with a woman-shaped tongue all along!

>How would they interact with each other? (I do want them to have some form of society while staying true to real spider behavior to a degree)
>How would they interact with PCs? (I don't want them to be a race with only a villainous option, and full-on spiders need some form of communication to do that)
It seems like real spiders communicate with each other by making vibrations with their bodies, so they could do something with that. Perhaps a simplified version might exist for interacting with outsiders, looking like Morse code or something.
youtube.com/watch?v=Et--lFINQOM

Just have them work as guards maybe? After all nothing better to block a path then a talking door that can eat those who should not be there

That's way too hard. All you'd need is a lure that looks like a nice pair of legs and maybe a round ass. Stick them out of a bush, around a corner, and half the time some drunk asshole will walk right up to it

Depends on what Mimics eat or want. If humans produce something Mimics want, or they have similar goals, they can cooperate.

I would go for social spiders there I guess, they can go from forming large communities to regular solitary hunting depending on needs. I quite like variants, but that specific society could do without. You may have other type of spiders elsewhere if you want. Or they could have some bigger spiders as champion/monsters to unleash on trespasser, though those don't need to be sapient. My version have an empire of many subspecies bring together by force, but it was started by an alliance between social spiders and not-tarantula giants.

The first thing I would ask is why do they do the moonlight and memory thing? That would help to define their values and beliefs, as well as their relation to PC I think.
PCs may need specific memories they need to understand an ancient evil, or a forgotten spell to seal it or whatever they may need. They can force their way and try to magically rob it or negotiate access to the "library".

Pretty easily, in fact; even way back in AD&D, Mimics were happy to talk to humans in exchange for ordinary food - they just wanted to eat, they didn't specifically want to eat humans. Only the near-mindless Killer Mimics attacked humans on sight... problem is, nobody remembers that the Killer Mimic was an aberrant subspecies anymore...

lomion.de/cmm/mimic.php

Wizards are notorious for their fickle emotionality, and this tends to affect their magic constructs.

Spending decades alone in a cold tower does nothing for a wizard's social life, and he may grow terribly lonely over time. When a wizard forms a monster out of the raw ether of creation, there is a slight chance the monster will be suffused with the wizard's subconscious desire for companionship. Thus, the monster will take the form of a beautiful woman only thematically similar to the intended product, though they will be exactly as savage and possess most of their abilities. As wizards plunge into insanity, more and more of their creations will suffer errors like these, making clearing out old wizard towers an often uncomfortable affair.

After the first few times, people would figure out what the worms are up to.

Then they start covering everything that's not their tongue with incredibly wide dresses, prompting human society to enforce incredibly tight miniskirts as standard dress for women, leading to effectively a social arms race.

>go in wizard tower
>it's really old, but somehow 'normal'
>no monster-ladies at all
>actually most of what's in here is golems, what gives
>find his journal
>he was too unimaginative to go crazy and found living alone kind of comfy

How disappointed would your party be?

That fits well! Thinking that not only can they do the vibration and braille thing, but that sending vibrations on weblines could be the equivalent of a telegraph, which could help link them into a society via long-distance communication.
>Spider civil war over human slavery

The idea of giant spiders as heavies has occurred to me, as there are giants nearby. Therefore, giant spiders must be a thing. Social spiders are the small ones and must entice a large one out of solitary behavior with magic, offerings, and convincing?

The issue is less how they COULD be organized, which is easy to fiat in, but WHY they are organized this way. How would a spider person think? I've been told they are basically bundles of reflexive programming nerves, so maybe they are moody? Would a personality with a basic instinct that shifts from (Kill)>(Hunt)>(Hide) on a dime be viable if it could be overridden with difficulty by their equivalent of a conscious mind?
>tfw jittering cause instincts say kill the human with the drawn sword but if I do that they might not bring tasty cows anymore

We could also use druids for this, as one could go a bit crazy and start using there magic in odd ways

>Nar'thael, why is the tree covered in fleshlights?

if I remember my Dnd Monster Manuals right there is a race of intelligent shapeshifting giant spiders that leave people alone can't remember the name or which book

any one know?